Matrix #2

Hiya,

I need to create a chart which is a matrix of four 'boxes' (a bit like the
BCG 'Cash cow, star, etc matrix if you know it). But am having real trouble.

What I need is this (and I'm going for the simplest method here - I ignored
the four 'boxes' and just tried to get the data as I want on the chart):

Data source:

Project Name     Value(1-10)     Difficulty(1-10)
Proj1                       5                     8
Proj2                       8                    10
Proj3                       1                     8
Proj4                       3                     2
Proj5                       6                     4

Chart:

Y-Axis: Value
Label next to each point: Project Name

So, with this graph there would only actually be 5 points - 1 for each
project. And each point would have the project name next to it.

I'll make a crude effort at drawing it:

(val)
10 |
     |                                                 X proj2
     |                 X proj5
     |                                     X proj1
     |      X proj4

1   |_____________________X proj3__
     1                                                10 (diff)

I had very moderate success with 'bubbles' - but hit a dead end.
Anyone know how I can achieve this??

Many thanks,

Basil
0
Basil1 (11)

If it were me, I'd create an XY scatter using Difficulty as the X and Value
as the Y.   I bet you knew that :^D
I'd then use Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler (
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm ) to add the labels to the
series

Have a great day!
Barb Reinhardt

"Basil" <Basil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hiya,
>
> I need to create a chart which is a matrix of four 'boxes' (a bit like the
> BCG 'Cash cow, star, etc matrix if you know it). But am having real
> trouble.
>
> What I need is this (and I'm going for the simplest method here - I
> ignored
> the four 'boxes' and just tried to get the data as I want on the chart):
>
> Data source:
>
> Project Name     Value(1-10)     Difficulty(1-10)
> Proj1                       5                     8
> Proj2                       8                    10
> Proj3                       1                     8
> Proj4                       3                     2
> Proj5                       6                     4
>
> Chart:
>
> Y-Axis: Value
> Label next to each point: Project Name
>
> So, with this graph there would only actually be 5 points - 1 for each
> project. And each point would have the project name next to it.
>
> I'll make a crude effort at drawing it:
>
> (val)
> 10 |
>     |                                                 X proj2
>     |                 X proj5
>     |                                     X proj1
>     |      X proj4
> 1   |_____________________X proj3__
>     1                                                10 (diff)
>
> I had very moderate success with 'bubbles' - but hit a dead end.
> Anyone know how I can achieve this??
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Basil

0
reply6075 (299)
2/28/2005 3:44:38 PM
Basil -

You can build a quad chart using this technique:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColoredQuadrantBackground.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Basil wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I need to create a chart which is a matrix of four 'boxes' (a bit like the
> BCG 'Cash cow, star, etc matrix if you know it). But am having real trouble.
>
> What I need is this (and I'm going for the simplest method here - I ignored
> the four 'boxes' and just tried to get the data as I want on the chart):
>
> Data source:
>
> Project Name     Value(1-10)     Difficulty(1-10)
> Proj1                       5                     8
> Proj2                       8                    10
> Proj3                       1                     8
> Proj4                       3                     2
> Proj5                       6                     4
>
> Chart:
>
> Y-Axis: Value
> Label next to each point: Project Name
>
> So, with this graph there would only actually be 5 points - 1 for each
> project. And each point would have the project name next to it.
>
> I'll make a crude effort at drawing it:
>
> (val)
> 10 |
>      |                                                 X proj2
>      |                 X proj5
>      |                                     X proj1
>      |      X proj4
> 1   |_____________________X proj3__
>      1                                                10 (diff)
>
> I had very moderate success with 'bubbles' - but hit a dead end.
> Anyone know how I can achieve this??
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Basil
Thank you so much both of you, these are both absolutely fabulous and combine
perfectly for exactly what I was after!

There is just the 1 more thing I am struggling with:
I want to make the chart look at (and adjust to) a dynamic range.
Since it is not a simple case of a chart looking at a rectangular
datasource, I am struggling.

With Rob Bovey's XY Chart labeler, I also have the problem that although it
does accept a named range, if (as in my instance) the named range is a
varying off-set formula - when I add to the range having already added the
labels, it will not re-asses the named range to add the additional row.

Does that make sense?

Any ideas?

Thanks again, your tips have been magic.

Basil

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Basil -
>
> You can build a quad chart using this technique:
>
>    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColoredQuadrantBackground.html
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> Basil wrote:
>
> > Hiya,
> >
> > I need to create a chart which is a matrix of four 'boxes' (a bit like the
> > BCG 'Cash cow, star, etc matrix if you know it). But am having real trouble.
> >
> > What I need is this (and I'm going for the simplest method here - I ignored
> > the four 'boxes' and just tried to get the data as I want on the chart):
> >
> > Data source:
> >
> > Project Name     Value(1-10)     Difficulty(1-10)
> > Proj1                       5                     8
> > Proj2                       8                    10
> > Proj3                       1                     8
> > Proj4                       3                     2
> > Proj5                       6                     4
> >
> > Chart:
> >
> > Y-Axis: Value
> > Label next to each point: Project Name
> >
> > So, with this graph there would only actually be 5 points - 1 for each
> > project. And each point would have the project name next to it.
> >
> > I'll make a crude effort at drawing it:
> >
> > (val)
> > 10 |
> >      |                                                 X proj2
> >      |                 X proj5
> >      |                                     X proj1
> >      |      X proj4
> > 1   |_____________________X proj3__
> >      1                                                10 (diff)
> >
> > I had very moderate success with 'bubbles' - but hit a dead end.
> > Anyone know how I can achieve this??
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Basil

0
Basil1 (11)
2/28/2005 10:47:03 PM
Basil,

If you are familiar with VBA and named ranges, I think you can build a chart
that meets your requirements if I'm interpretting your needs correctly.

For example, assume the label "Name" is in cell A1 and that your initial XY
data is set up like this:

Name	Value	Difficulty
Proj1	1	1
Proj2	2	2
Proj3	3	3
Proj4	4	4
Proj5	5	5
Proj6	6	6

Add a column D with cell references to column C.  In a formula view, the
data set will now look like this:

Name	Value	Difficulty   Labels
Proj1	1	1              =C1
Proj2	2	2              =C2
Proj3	3	3              =C3
Proj4	4	4              =C4
Proj5	5	5              =C5
Proj6	6	6              =C6

Copy the =C# reference all the way down the column until you hit cell C20.

Go to the standard toolbar and hit INSERT -> NAME -> DEFINE.  Add this
formula and call it "DataLabels":

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$2,,,COUNTA(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$20),1)

Add this formula and call it "XAxis":

=OFFSET(DataLabels,0,1)

Add this formula and call it "YAxis":

=OFFSET(DataLabels,0,3)

Now, click once on your XY chart.  In you standard toolbar hit CHART ->
SOURCE DATA - SERIES TAB.

Assuming your workbook is named "XYAuto.xls", enter the following formula in
the X Values box:

=XYAuto.xls!XAxis

Enter this formula in the Y Values box:

=XYAuto.xls!YAxis

Finally, assuming your chart appears in "Sheet1" of the "AutoXY.xls" file,
enter this VBA code into the Sheet1 code module:

Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
    For Each cell In Range("D2:D20")
        Fmt = """" & cell.Offset(0, -3).Value & """"
        cell.NumberFormat = Fmt
    Next cell
End Sub

The end result is that the XY chart will automatically update with new
values as they are entered into the range A2:D20.  The VBA code formats the
values in the Labels column to be the same as those values entered into the
Name column.

Since this procedure is long, I'll post an example workbook to the downloads
section of my site shortly.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Basil" wrote:

> Thank you so much both of you, these are both absolutely fabulous and combine
> perfectly for exactly what I was after!
>
> There is just the 1 more thing I am struggling with:
> I want to make the chart look at (and adjust to) a dynamic range.
> Since it is not a simple case of a chart looking at a rectangular
> datasource, I am struggling.
>
> With Rob Bovey's XY Chart labeler, I also have the problem that although it
> does accept a named range, if (as in my instance) the named range is a
> varying off-set formula - when I add to the range having already added the
> labels, it will not re-asses the named range to add the additional row.
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks again, your tips have been magic.
>
> Basil
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
> > Basil -
> >
> > You can build a quad chart using this technique:
> >
> >    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColoredQuadrantBackground.html
> >
> > - Jon
> > -------
> > Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> > Peltier Technical Services
> > Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> > http://PeltierTech.com/
> > _______
> >
> > Basil wrote:
> >
> > > Hiya,
> > >
> > > I need to create a chart which is a matrix of four 'boxes' (a bit like the
> > > BCG 'Cash cow, star, etc matrix if you know it). But am having real trouble.
> > >
> > > What I need is this (and I'm going for the simplest method here - I ignored
> > > the four 'boxes' and just tried to get the data as I want on the chart):
> > >
> > > Data source:
> > >
> > > Project Name     Value(1-10)     Difficulty(1-10)
> > > Proj1                       5                     8
> > > Proj2                       8                    10
> > > Proj3                       1                     8
> > > Proj4                       3                     2
> > > Proj5                       6                     4
> > >
> > > Chart:
> > >
> > > Y-Axis: Value
> > > Label next to each point: Project Name
> > >
> > > So, with this graph there would only actually be 5 points - 1 for each
> > > project. And each point would have the project name next to it.
> > >
> > > I'll make a crude effort at drawing it:
> > >
> > > (val)
> > > 10 |
> > >      |                                                 X proj2
> > >      |                 X proj5
> > >      |                                     X proj1
> > >      |      X proj4
> > > 1   |_____________________X proj3__
> > >      1                                                10 (diff)
> > >
> > > I had very moderate success with 'bubbles' - but hit a dead end.
> > > Anyone know how I can achieve this??
> > >
> > > Many thanks,
> > >
> > > Basil

Basil -

You need to have a worksheet range that holds the values of the defined
range of labels. If the size of the dynamic range is unbounded, this
will be an issue, but if you know it will always be less than, say, 50
items, select an unobtrusive range, F1:F50 for example, and enter this
array formula

   =MyDynamicLabels

and hole CTRL+SHIFT while pressing Enter. If you do this right, Excle
puts the formula within curly braces:

   {=MyDynamicLabels}

Then fill the data range with dummy values (zeros), make a series in the
chart with 50 points, and use Rob's Labeler to use the worksheet range
F1:F50 for its labels. Clear out all the dummy values from the data
range, and proceed. Each point in the series will remember which cell
contains its label, even if the dynamic range causes fewer points to
appear. When it reappears, it will remember the link.

- Jon
-------

Basil wrote:
> Thank you so much both of you, these are both absolutely fabulous and combine
> perfectly for exactly what I was after!
>
> There is just the 1 more thing I am struggling with:
> I want to make the chart look at (and adjust to) a dynamic range.
> Since it is not a simple case of a chart looking at a rectangular
> datasource, I am struggling.
>
> With Rob Bovey's XY Chart labeler, I also have the problem that although it
> does accept a named range, if (as in my instance) the named range is a
> varying off-set formula - when I add to the range having already added the
> labels, it will not re-asses the named range to add the additional row.
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks again, your tips have been magic.
>
> Basil
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>

>>Basil -
>>
>>You can build a quad chart using this technique:
>>
>>   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColoredQuadrantBackground.html
>>
>>- Jon
>>-------
>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>Peltier Technical Services
>>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>http://PeltierTech.com/
>>_______
>>
>>Basil wrote:
>>

>>>Hiya,
>>>
>>>I need to create a chart which is a matrix of four 'boxes' (a bit like the
>>>BCG 'Cash cow, star, etc matrix if you know it). But am having real trouble.
>>>
>>>What I need is this (and I'm going for the simplest method here - I ignored
>>>the four 'boxes' and just tried to get the data as I want on the chart):
>>>
>>>Data source:
>>>
>>>Project Name     Value(1-10)     Difficulty(1-10)
>>>Proj1                       5                     8
>>>Proj2                       8                    10
>>>Proj3                       1                     8
>>>Proj4                       3                     2
>>>Proj5                       6                     4
>>>
>>>Chart:
>>>
>>>Y-Axis: Value
>>>Label next to each point: Project Name
>>>
>>>So, with this graph there would only actually be 5 points - 1 for each
>>>project. And each point would have the project name next to it.
>>>
>>>I'll make a crude effort at drawing it:
>>>
>>>(val)
>>>10 |
>>>     |                                                 X proj2
>>>     |                 X proj5
>>>     |                                     X proj1
>>>     |      X proj4
>>>1   |_____________________X proj3__
>>>     1                                                10 (diff)
>>>
>>>I had very moderate success with 'bubbles' - but hit a dead end.
>>>Anyone know how I can achieve this??
>>>
>>>Many thanks,
>>>
>>>Basil

Hi Jon,

Perfect - I didn't find the need to have the array formula with {}. It
worked fine without. Very quick and smart! Doesn't even require recipients of
the workbook to have the Bovey add-in to get it to work!
The quadrant was absolutely spot on too - so simple and effective!

John M:
Your solution worked a treat (although with a large range it can take a
while for the VBA to run on every sheet calc and also putting the code on
worksheet_calc can be a bit inconsistent in working - although I found a work
around).
I thought your site was great.

Thanks to all who responded - I now have a variety of techniques that all
work excellently!
I'll get on to the programming or formulas bits to see if I can return the
help to another lost soul!

Many thanks,

Baz

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Basil -
>
> You need to have a worksheet range that holds the values of the defined
> range of labels. If the size of the dynamic range is unbounded, this
> will be an issue, but if you know it will always be less than, say, 50
> items, select an unobtrusive range, F1:F50 for example, and enter this
> array formula
>
>    =MyDynamicLabels
>
> and hole CTRL+SHIFT while pressing Enter. If you do this right, Excle
> puts the formula within curly braces:
>
>    {=MyDynamicLabels}
>
> Then fill the data range with dummy values (zeros), make a series in the
> chart with 50 points, and use Rob's Labeler to use the worksheet range
> F1:F50 for its labels. Clear out all the dummy values from the data
> range, and proceed. Each point in the series will remember which cell
> contains its label, even if the dynamic range causes fewer points to
> appear. When it reappears, it will remember the link.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> Basil wrote:
> > Thank you so much both of you, these are both absolutely fabulous and combine
> > perfectly for exactly what I was after!
> >
> > There is just the 1 more thing I am struggling with:
> > I want to make the chart look at (and adjust to) a dynamic range.
> > Since it is not a simple case of a chart looking at a rectangular
> > datasource, I am struggling.
> >
> > With Rob Bovey's XY Chart labeler, I also have the problem that although it
> > does accept a named range, if (as in my instance) the named range is a
> > varying off-set formula - when I add to the range having already added the
> > labels, it will not re-asses the named range to add the additional row.
> >
> > Does that make sense?
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks again, your tips have been magic.
> >
> > Basil
> >
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >

> >>Basil -
> >>
> >>You can build a quad chart using this technique:
> >>
> >>   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColoredQuadrantBackground.html
> >>
> >>- Jon
> >>-------
> >>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >>Peltier Technical Services
> >>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >>http://PeltierTech.com/
> >>_______

0
Basil1 (11)
3/1/2005 10:47:01 PM
Baz -

Thanks for the feedback. We're just all glad to help.

- Jon

Basil wrote:

> [...]
>>http://PeltierTech.com/
>>_______
>>

>>Basil wrote:
>>
>>>Thank you so much both of you, these are both absolutely fabulous and combine
>>>perfectly for exactly what I was after!
>>>
>>>There is just the 1 more thing I am struggling with:
>>>I want to make the chart look at (and adjust to) a dynamic range.
>>>Since it is not a simple case of a chart looking at a rectangular
>>>datasource, I am struggling.
>>>
>>>With Rob Bovey's XY Chart labeler, I also have the problem that although it
>>>does accept a named range, if (as in my instance) the named range is a
>>>varying off-set formula - when I add to the range having already added the
>>>labels, it will not re-asses the named range to add the additional row.
>>>
>>>Does that make sense?
>>>
>>>Any ideas?
>>>
>>>Thanks again, your tips have been magic.

Saving files #2
I have a user that when he tries to save a file to his own network folder he gets the following Microsoft Excel message with a yellow triangle warning (this is only happening on 1 file at this time that he created) The file "filename.xls" may have been changed by another user since you last saved it. In that case, what do you want to do? Save a copy Overwrite changes Thank You! ...

Outlook Email #2
Need help with my emails. I am receiving "double" emails. I get 2 of each email. I have removed all wizard rules. Any ideas? Thanks ...

1 Mailbox for 2 E-mail addresses?
We have a user who is taking extended leave (1 year) and we would like to have all of his e-mail automatically sent to another user's mailbox without the forwarding. Is it possible to set it up so that this other user can just go to her e-mail and get his e-mail sent directly to her mailbox without the mail having been forwarded from his mailbox? why don't you want the mail to be forwarded? other option is to move the email address from the user who's going on leave to the person who's going to manage the email... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "David Rosen" <Dav...

Username/Domain/Password prompt appearing when attempting to download Offline Address Book (Outlook 2000) #2
Evening all! Hope someone can help me with this, before I lose ALL my hair! :o) We've got multiple Outlook 2000 users who connect an exchange server, but they an "Enter Password" box appears, prompting for a Username, Domain & Password. The box is blank & no matter what u enter it just re-appears, until they press the ESC key once. The box'll then disappear & Outlook closes OK...but I don't think the Offline address book is updating. 20% of the time, the box doesn't appear when closing Outlook, it's just the other 80%! :( They get this whether they...

FREE Tutorials on HTML XHTML CSS JavaScript XML XSL ASP SQL ADO VBScript, SAP
FREE Tutorials on HTML XHTML CSS JavaScript XML XSL ASP SQL ADO VBScript, SAP - ABAP visit ebooks.univdatabase.com ...

Number Problem #2
D'all, In a column, I hav 16 digits numbers. But when I add 4 digit number after last digit of that number becomes 4 zeros at last. e.g. 9503170011002910 (16 digit number) 1425 (4 digit number) becomes 95031700110029100000 whether it should be 95031700110029101425 Excel can only handle 15 digit numbers, after that everything gets shown as 0. If you want 20 digits you will have to hold it as text. -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Sandeep Jangra" <SandeepJangra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E87C8C7-8CBC-4CF8-9E0A-F222DD023255@mi...

Sorting cells #2
When you try to sort certain data by selecting the cells, but leaving adjacent cells unselected, you get a "sort warning" asking if you would like to expand the selection. How do you stop this from happening? Joey If you are selecting cells in one column or row only you will get this message. I have never found a way to prevent it. Hopefully we both can learn something here. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:39:05 -0800, "JoeyJoeJoe" <JoeyJoeJoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When you try to sort certain data by selecting the cells, but lea...

Deselect top record #2
When looking at the history in an opportunity or a few of my other custom entities the top record is always selected, even when I select a different record. So if I try to open the second record I cannot. The only way to deselect the top record is to hold down the CTRL key as you click on it. I remember I've had this issue before, but I can't seem to find the fix anywhere on the internet again. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I was able to resolve this issue by reseting the settings in Interner Explorer. Tools - Internet Options - Advanced Tab - and then hit the...

Looking for shapes for wellbore schematics. #2
Does anyone have a resource for shapes for wellbore schematics - packers, tubing, casing, etc.. ...

Outlook Express deleting safe attachments #2
Hello, I just purchased a new PC and the outlook express is deleting word documents that I am sending home from work. I know th documents are clean, but OE keeps deleting them anyway. IS there anything I can do? Thanks! Are you sure it is deleting them and not saying blocked access to? The reason that I ask is that there is an option in OE at Tools > Options > Security tab > 2nd box from the top concerning potentially dangerous attachments that can be toggled to allow access to the attachment. "Carrie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Outlook reminder #2
Whenever i open outlook i get a reminder about a task 3 mnths ago.If i click dismiss an error says that it cannot find that task.How do i delete this popup reminder/task? Try starting Outlook once with the /CleanReminders switch. If you need help using Outlook command line switches, look here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296192 -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:08ca01c397bb$09e2e890$a501280a@phx.gbl, Ryan wro...

Sent Items with 2 accounts
In my Outlook 2003, I have configured my office email id as well as my group email account. Whenever i sent a mail out from my group account that mail getting stored in my sent items folder. I want those mail to get stored in my group sent folder. Configure a rule to move mail to the appropriate folder on sending "mrbalaje" <mrbalaje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:177E7C94-A5B4-4DB8-9592-0CAF5D64CD26@microsoft.com... > In my Outlook 2003, I have configured my office email id as well as my > group > email account. Whenever i sent a mai...

Counting Text Cells #2
Hi Guys, How can I determine the most common occurence of a word in a lis formatted as text in Column A. I would like a function that simpl returns the word that occurs the most to appear in cell D1. Also, i there are two words that occur the same number of times in this list, would like both words to be shown (one in D1, one in D2). Any suggestions? Thanks, Be -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi to get the most frequent text entry try the following array formula (entered with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER): =INDEX($B$1:$B$20,MODE(MATCH(IF($B$1:$B$20<>"",$B$1:$B$...

Stock Splits #2
Is it possible to avoid the 's' method for stock splits used by MSN Money? I would like to keep the actual number of shares received in a split rather than have it reduced by the split ratio. Thanks for your help. Henry Not without wreaking havoc on historic performance reporting. You could add the shares at the new price. "Henry" <Henry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64B208EE-216E-47F4-86A2-2B8A4019DD94@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to avoid the 's' method for stock splits used by MSN Money? > I would like to keep the actual ...

counting rows wen 2 arguments are true
is there any way i can create a formula to count the amount of rows when 2 arguments are true? i have two columns with text in them, say A1:A10 and B1:B10 id like to find a way of counting the rows when both ranges have specific text in them. eg ACCOUNT TYPE[/B] [B]FULLTIME/PARTIME ordinary Fulltime ordinary Partime ordinary Fulltime ordinary Fulltime ordinary Fulltime student Fulltime say i wanted to count the rows wen account type = ordinary and fulltime/partime = Fulltime. is this ...

hi #2
etelaati dar morede shoma mikhastam. ...

Percentages #2
I am trying to get some percentages from a sheet that I have imported with about 300 stock prices. I want to get what percent D 1-300 is of C 1-300 and have the answer go to H. I checked the help file and can't seem to find this. Thanks Triad, in Cell H1: =D1/C1 and press enter. Format the cell as %. Copy the formula down Column H. Or if you mean whole columns, then =SUM(D1:D300)/Sum(C1:C300). -- DDM "DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and Tricks" www.ddmcomputing.com "triad" <triad33@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:109ahnp7572r35d@corp.supernews.com... ...

One IP-address
Our exchange 2003-server hosts two domains A.com and B.com. So, the mx-record for BOTH domains point to the same host (mailhost.A.com) and resolves the corresponding IP-addres. The PTR-record for this IP-address obviously points back to the host mailhost.A.com. All seems to work fine for both domains for the moment, but will this not present a problem in the future for mail from the B.com domain when more and more receiving hosts do reverse lookup ? Or is reverse lookup just verifying the FQDN in the mail-header, and not the senders domain ? Regards Rudy Steyaert HI, NO i don't think ...

Help!!!! Can't right click. #2
update...holding down shift and F10 does nothing at all (just like righ clicking on any cell). Any other ideas? Thanks -- jersey100 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jersey1000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1648 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27831 Can you right click in other programs? Is this problem exclusive t excel -- eluehman ----------------------------------------------------------------------- eluehmann's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.ph...

New Mail desktop alert #2
I have two E mail accounts - hotmail and tiscali. I have set up new mail destop alert but this only works in respect of my tiscali account (POP) but not for hotmail. The former comes into the "general" inbox whereas Hotmail comes into. its own Hotmail in box - is this the reason for the difference in the two accounts? Can I configure Outlook so that the Alert works with Hotmail as well. I use Outlook Live . Any help would be appreciated. Roy Shopland The alerts only work with the default message store and pop accounts. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourse...

Formula to copy related information from sheet 1 to sheet 2
Hello guys, I hope you'll can help me. i have the information below in sheet 1. i need the information to be filtered, copy and paste in sheet 2 according to the month. example. if october, i need all information for the month of october to be copy and past from column A, B, C sheet 1 to column A, B, C sheet 2 please help. A B C Serial Number Quantities (Kilos) Date 8.1122 539,470 22/10/2009 8.1122 403,697 22/10/2009 8.1122 643,710 05/11/2009 8.1122...

Office 97 to 2003: Excel: enter data w/fixed 2 decimal. 2000. be.
When I enter number "2000." I get 20.00 - yes, set decimals at 2 but earlier excel would accept change if you entered decimal with number. this is slowing down a budget prep and I'd sure like some help - online and tutorials say "enter decimal" but this is not working. what am I doing wrong? Hi Confirmed, until v ersion XP you could finish off with a decimal separator. This behavior changed with Excel 2003, I haven't seen any documentation on the reasons. "Enter decimal" is like 2000.0 which is just as many keystrokes as 200000 but slower. If you d...

open email #2
is there anyway i can automatically open an email sent to me from my family without having to search for them -- live long and prosper "Squibbly" <anti@spam.com> wrote in message news:q4SdnWDZA70G4fHeRVnyvw@pipex.net... > is there anyway i can automatically open an email sent to me from my > family without having to search for them > > -- > live long and prosper Not sure what you mean by "open", nor why you have to "search for them". If you leave all your emails in your inbox, you might be better creating some folders and filing...

Worksheet #2
Is there a way to move from one worksheet to another and stay in the same cell? For example, in Worksheet1, you need to input data in cell A5 and A6. Now you need to go to Worksheet2 and enter different information, but still in cell A5 and A6. So no matter where you start in the first Worksheet, can you go to the next worksheet and be in the same cell Thanks for any help. Select all sheets, then select the cell in question, now ungroup the sheets [MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS], and then use CTRL+PGUP or CTRL+PGDOWN to navigate the sheets -- Regards Ken....................... Mic...

damaged tracking logs #2
Running Exchange 5.5 SP3 on Windows NT 4.0 SP6a. I've recently started getting following error messages when attempting to search the tracking logs via the admin console: "The message tracking log file '\\<SERVERNAME>\Tracking.log\<DATE>.log' has a damaged entry at line <LINENUMBER>. Do you want to continue reading the file and attempt to recover the remaining entries?" <DATE> and <LINENUMBER> are always different. If I click YES, the search continues, at least until another error message appears. If I click NO, I get another dialog box s...