Marginal Abatement Cost - Creating a column chart

I want to create a marginal abatement cost (MAC) column chart in Excel 2003.

The data I am using is sorted for cost ($/tonne/year). Then I have a
marginal abatement (tonnes of CO2-e) and cumulative marginal abatement (also
tonnes of CO2-e).

On the x axis I will have cost.
The y axis shall be marginal abatement, the width of the columns shall
represent the marginal abatement, and their location on the axis will be
determined by the cumulative marginal abatement. Since the data is sorted for
cost, the chart shall show increasing cost with an increasing cumulative
marginal abatement.

Can anyone suggest a way of creating this column chart in Excel 2003?

Thanks

0
ErinC (1)

Hi,

I don't think it is possible in Excel to control the column widths based on
a value, in any version.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"ErinC" wrote:

> I want to create a marginal abatement cost (MAC) column chart in Excel 2003.
>
> The data I am using is sorted for cost ($/tonne/year). Then I have a
> marginal abatement (tonnes of CO2-e) and cumulative marginal abatement (also
> tonnes of CO2-e).
>
> On the x axis I will have cost.
> The y axis shall be marginal abatement, the width of the columns shall
> represent the marginal abatement, and their location on the axis will be
> determined by the cumulative marginal abatement. Since the data is sorted for
> cost, the chart shall show increasing cost with an increasing cumulative
> marginal abatement.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way of creating this column chart in Excel 2003?
>
> Thanks

This might help:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/VarWidthColumn.html

Eric

"ErinC" wrote:

> I want to create a marginal abatement cost (MAC) column chart in Excel 2003.
>
> The data I am using is sorted for cost ($/tonne/year). Then I have a
> marginal abatement (tonnes of CO2-e) and cumulative marginal abatement (also
> tonnes of CO2-e).
>
> On the x axis I will have cost.
> The y axis shall be marginal abatement, the width of the columns shall
> represent the marginal abatement, and their location on the axis will be
> determined by the cumulative marginal abatement. Since the data is sorted for
> cost, the chart shall show increasing cost with an increasing cumulative
> marginal abatement.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way of creating this column chart in Excel 2003?
>
> Thanks

0
EricG (37)

Combining columns/rowns of different workbooks + other question
Hi There, Can any one give me a macro/program that will combine selected columns (or rows) of a sheet in one workbook with selected columns (or rows) in another and save the combination in another file. TIA, -GHB Check out Ron de Bruin's site for methods of Copy/Paste/Merge Examples for getting data from multiple books to one book. http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm Maybe this one? http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary2.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 15:15:17 -0800, "Computerguy" <computerguy394-news@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hi There, > >Can any o...

How to have margin-left: 10%; margin-right: 10%;" only sometimes
Hi, My website is created so that the width is not fixed. I adapt to the width of the browser. If I have a page of text I do something like: <div style=" margin-left: 10%; margin-right: 10%;"> so the text is set off by margins. That's nice on my monitor's 1600 pixel wide screen. But on a laptop (or as a user option) I'd like to change that to no margins. Can you suggest a way of doing that without having two .css files? Thanks On May 16, 10:05=A0pm, " Cal Who" <CalWhoNOS...@roadrunner.com> wrote: > Hi,...

hairpulling-trouble with pasting a chart into word
Hi there, I do hope someone can help me - I'm going nuts. When I do this job at work, there is no problem at all, so am confuse why my laptop at home won't play ball. I have made sure (at least think I have) that all the settings are the same. I have a word document open and an excel sheet with the chart I want t copy into word, I uncheck the 'size with window' box (from tools>option - chart tab), yet, the second I paste into word it - sizes with th window, into a squished chart. What am I doing wrong? any help would be appreciated, Flos -- flos -------------------------...

Timeline Chart
Hello, I need to create a timeline chart showing if Phase1 finishes in 2 months then Phase 2 starts. I tried many examples from internet but it doens't work. Can someone please help me as i need this for my presentation. Thanks and Regards Pooja Have you looked here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttChart.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Urgent question regarding LIST" <UrgentquestionregardingLIST@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C3ABEC4-831D-480B-A845-46E44D90...

How do I show hidden column and row headings in excel?
How can I display hidden column and row headings in excel? Excel displays only unhidden rows and columns, and their headings. But if you make the width or height small enough, it might still be possible to see the heading and not the data. However, this becomes more difficult as you move to column AB or row 101. "Mildred" <Mildred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7D83F4B-289A-49A6-9057-23365EAFB300@microsoft.com... > How can I display hidden column and row headings in excel? ...

Dynamic data selection for charts
Hi, I want to create a chart with dynamic data from a drop down. Like if i select option 1 in the data validation drop down the chart should populate with data from sheet 1. and if i select 2 then it should populate with sheet 2 data. Please suggest a way to do the same thanks sudheera Hi, You need to set up dynamic named ranges. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html And here is some information on charting from selected data http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartByControl.html Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "sudheera&q...

tree chart
I have a homework assignment for a finance class that requires building a binomial tree. The tree has been built in excel cells as illustrated below with stock prices and option prices. Although not a requirement for my class, I was wondering if it is possible to plot this distribution on a chart. 50 45 40 xxx 55 50 xxx 45 xxx xxx 3.0 2.5 2.3 xxx 3.5 3.0 xxx 3.4 xxx ...

Highlight 30th characther in a each cell in a column
Im working on a spreadsheet and in one column I need to highlight the 30th character of each cell, is there any way this can be done. HELP ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Not sure what you mean by "highlight". You can only apply character formatting to constants, not the results of formulas. This changes the color of the 30th character of all constants in column C to red: Public Sub ChangeColorOf30thCharacter() Dim cell As Ran...

Searching data in a column via Input Box
Hello I am new to Excel VBA and think I have thrown myself into the deep end by trying to produce an advanced spreadsheet. What I am trying to do is have a button on my spreadsheet that when clicked opens up an Input Box, the user can input some data and then it searches a column for the matching input. For Example Input Box > "Hello" I would like it to then search column A1:A20 for the Word Hello. Once found just leave the cell selected and a message box saying the word has been found. If anyone could do this for me I would be very greatful I have tried now for 2 days a...

COUNTIF? Use one column as condition to determine average of another
This may be beyond the scope of basic excel, but here goes. C4:C16 contains a list of times, or durations in this case. In D4:D16 each cell contains either a "yes" or "no" what I would like to do is average the "yes" times. So referenc D4:D16 as a condition to determine which times to average. I could just manually seperate the "yes" times and compute the average but there must be a way to do it as described above -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com On 5/8/04 6:43 PM, in article pacman2k4.15ylio@excelforum-nospam.com, "pacman2k4...

trying to set chart width
my chart width can change due to setting axes, etc and i want to keep it a certain size have tried code like below, when the 'width' number i thought was points 72 per inch to keep chart at 6" but not working, can this be done or is it a 'relative' size ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Activate ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select ActiveSheet.Shapes("Chart 1").Width 452, msoFalse, msoScaleFromTopLeft I prefer to work with the ChartObject instead of the Shape: ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 1").Width = 452 which see...

W2003: find cursor location in table coordinates (table/row/column
I've been asked to extract data from an existing form that I didn't set up, and the format is less than ideal. To minimize my cycles of testing, it would be much easier to place my cursor in a sample document, and then debug.print the cursor location as table coordinates so I can hardcode the 'cells' that I need to extract. There are about 15 tables total, and I'll have to extract content from most of them. I played around with the range.parent object but couldn't figure out how to return the table info. I also googled, but no joy. Any suggestions...

Displayed Columns Change
Hi all I've a problem encountered with a particular user who it seems looses the configurations of columns hidden/displayed in their standard Gantt Chart view. That is after hiding say the Resource Name column in the Gantt Chart view then saving and closing the file upon re-opening the Resource Name column is again visible in this same view. To my knowledge the user in question hasn’t changed anything other than hiding the columns. Within the organisation however we’ve recently had some IT security configuration changes whereby as I understand it desktop users local f...

creating mailboxes E2K7?
HEllo, as you see i'm new to E2K7 and i *wrongly* thought it would be an easy upgrade path like e2k to 2k3, well i can't find anything!, i've spent most of last week reading documentation, techcenter, blogs, sites to no avail. mainly, �WHERE IS MY ADU&C INTEGRATION?, i was very fond of the exchange tasks and be able to view mailbox properties on the same console, now the ADUC doesn't has anything about exchange, and on exchange MMC there's that wizard which is useless if i want to create letsay.. more than 3 mailboxes. what happens if i want to create a mailbox at...

Dates Incorrect in Chart
I am creating a simple line chart with dates and values. The dates are of the form 2-Apr-08 (ie custom format) but in the graph they display as 26-Apr-12. Note the data has dates every week but the graph displays these all as 26-xxx-12 (where xxx= one of the months). What is wrong - I am using Excel 2007 Thanks Jim Are the dates in the sheet numeric dates, or text that looks like dates? What's the number format of the axis tick labels? Is it a date axis? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTec...

Unable to group rows or columns on an excel worksheet
I'm unable to group/ungroup rows or columns on an excel worksheet that was emailed to me by a co-worker. It's an existing file so I don't know what restrictions were placed on the workbook. What can I do to fix this problem? If the sheet is protected, unprotect it. You may need a password. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Christine - HCVT" <ChristineHCVT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0BDA314-BE7...

Security Warning when creating a new class with MFC ODBC Consumer
With VC++ .NET 2003, i'm creating a new class (MFC ODBC container). Everything seems to work until im about to generate the class. I get this "Security Warning" message box text : "The connection string in the generated code may contain plain text passwords and/or sensitive information. Please review the wizard generated code for details." If I confirm this box, my whole VS closes automatically. I tried with VC++ 6.0 and it worked perfectly. But i dont want do use anymore this version. Thanks Vince That's shows up because of a pragma in the code created by ...

Creating Toolbar on Word 2000 (Urgent)
Hi All, I have some queries. I am creating Toolbar on Word 2000 using built-in Visual Basic Editor. First query is regarding CommandBarButtons Click event not firing usin WithEvents keyword. Also since the CommandBar is created dynamically I dont know how to take the values entered in its various controls at runtime. When I enter something into ComboBox and I shift to another control the value entered in the comboBox is lost. How to prevent this. My Code is as follows: Public WithEvents cbcCommandBarButton As Office.CommandBarButton Dim cbrCommandBar As CommandBar Public cbcCommandBarL...

Auto Highlight largest value in column
Hi Again, How would I format a column to highlight the cell that has the highest value? Thanks again. Hi - select your range (e.g. A1:A10) - goto format - Conditional Format - in this dialog enter the formula =A1=MAX($A$1:$A$10) - choose your format -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Brian wrote: > Hi Again, > > How would I format a column to highlight the cell that > has the highest value? > > Thanks again. Frank, Thanks for the speedy reply, but it doesn't seem to work. Can I format the entire column instead of a selected range? Thanks. >-----Or...

Pivot Chart
I have a simple pivot chart formatted as a bar chart with category data on the x axis and data on y axis. I want to add a 2nd data item plotted against the same category labels. When I add the 2nd category the labels on the x-axis change to a combination of the original labels from the 1st category (that I want to keep) and some outside labels that are "Count of [new category]" Two points : 1) Can I add the data without the x-axis labels being changed 2) How do I change the field setting from Count to Sum for the 2nd category. Thanks Dean ...

is there a template to put together an organizational chart in Ex.
i have an organizational chart I need to reproduce but I don't have a scanner. Is there a way to do it? ...

Updating a column only on specific date
I'm realitivly new to excel and this seems like a simple problem but am not figuring it out. I have columns that correspond to days in a month and on the curen date I need to enter the data from a column that holds the month t date data. I dont want that data to change when the column date is les that the current date. this is what I have so far, it works, but gives an error message abou circular referances when I open the workbook. =IF(H$3=$D$2,$G4,H4) H3:AB3 = dates in the month D2 = Today G4:G19 = values that update daily from another workbook H4:AB19 = cell where I want to record ...

calculating columns
I'm trying to total a few columns with only having the formula in one column. Here's what im trying to get: A B C D 1 Qty Unit Unit Total Cost Count 2 10 $10.00 c $1.00 I need the only formula to be in column D. It needs to take the letter in column C which has a number reference (which in this case, c=100), then divide the value in column B (here it would be $10.00/100=$0....

Multiple columns in stack graph
Hi, I have four pieces of data which I wish to stack in two columns, I can only manage to create a graph with one colum containing all four pieces of data. For example: North Rep1 - jan05 - feb05 - mar05 - etc Rep2 - jan05 - feb05 - mar05 - etc South Rep3 - jan05 - feb05 - mar05 - etc Rep4 - jan05 - feb05 - mar05 - etc By month, I would like to see two columns, one containing north and one containing south. (North is a stack of reps 1 & 2, south of reps 3 & 4). I hope this makes sense, and someone can help me. Thank you Amanda Set up your data such that there are three ro...

Command Button Margins?
Is there any way to set margins for a command button? I find that the button is too large and would like to make it smaller when I use Caption text. hi, command buttons are sizeable. you can make them about any size you want. the text font can be reduced too. in design mode, click the button. 8 small squared will appear around the button. adjust the size with the mouse. right click the button then click properties from the pop up. scroll down to font click in the right cell the click the small gray box. adjust the font size. >-----Original Message----- >Is there any way to set mar...