Making Special "Stacked Column" Chart

Excel 2003.  I want to make a sort of hybrid "stacked column" chart.  I have
two categories that make up income (regular and vision) and one expense
category.  I want to make a stacked column with regular and vision income and
another column next to it with only expense.  How would I accomplish this?
Thanks for the help.

If you stagger your data, you can create side-by-side stacked columns.

Bernard Liengme has an example and instructions on his site:
         http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Columns.htm

and Jon Peltier has links to other sites with information:

        http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
12/10/2004 1:22:46 AM
Doug,

An example - add the following data with the "Regular" heading in Cell B1,
the "Vision" heading in cell C1, and the "Expense" heading in cell C1.  Add
the remainder of the data to include the total range A1:D7.  When completed,
cells A1, D2, A3:C3, D4, A5:C5, D6, and A7:C7 will be blank.

	Regular	Vision	Expense
2002	5	6
			10
2003	3	8
			9
2004	4	5
			8

Select Cell A1, go to the Chart Wizard, and choose the stacked column chart.
 Go through the prompts and you should end up with a chart like what you want
only  the years will be offset to the left.  Double-click on the X-Axis and
in the dialog box under the patterns tab select "none" for all of the tick
mark choices.  Finally, use the drawing toolbar to add three text boxes to
the chart to represent 2002, 2003, and 2004.  Align the text boxes in the
middle of each set of columns.  You can then double-click on any of the
columns and in the "options" tab change the gap width to make the chart look
like it has even spacing between the columns.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Chaplain Doug" wrote:

> Excel 2003.  I want to make a sort of hybrid "stacked column" chart.  I have
> two categories that make up income (regular and vision) and one expense
> category.  I want to make a stacked column with regular and vision income and
> another column next to it with only expense.  How would I accomplish this?
> Thanks for the help.
Thanks, I was able to use the information.  God bless.

Two Data Sets: Stacked Column Chart
How do I show two years side-by-side in a stacked column chart? I want to compare two "stacked" columns each month (one for each year). I can create one showing each month for ONE year but I want to add another year in another stacked column for each month. Can this be done? Yes, it can be done. It just takes some careful arrangement of data. See Jon Peltier's excellent site on charting: http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-column-charts/ (depending on your browser, you may need to scroll down a bit to get to beginning of article) -- Best Regards, Luke ...

How do I do a combination STACKED column and line chart on 2 axis
I want to have a combination chart on 2 axis. I want the columns to be stacked. I want the line to be on a second Y axis....please help! Hi, Create the chart using all the data as a stacked column chart. Double click the series that you want as a line on the secondary axis. On the Axes tab select Secondary axis. The right click the series and pick Chart type to change it the required line chart type. Cheers Andy rwtuning wrote: > I want to have a combination chart on 2 axis. I want the columns to be > stacked. I want the line to be on a second Y axis....please help! -- And...

Stacked Columns and TWO axis
Does any one know how to add a second Y axis to a stacked column chart? When one charts revenue and profit, and the profit is just a small percentage of the revenue, the impact of the profit distribution by category is lost because the scale on the Y axis measuring the revenue. Any help is greatly appreciated. [This followup was posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting with an email copy to Ed Pereira. Please use the newsgroup for further discussion.] Plot both series on both axes. How? Plot the series as normally so that both are on the primary axis. Then, select the 2 ranges ...

Can Excel produce a clustered and stacked column chart?
a stacked column chart is easy, so is a clustered column chart - but I want a clustered AND stacked column chart - is that possible in excel? Hi, Have a read of this http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-column-charts/ Cheers Andy hcollin1 wrote: > a stacked column chart is easy, so is a clustered column chart - but I want a > clustered AND stacked column chart - is that possible in excel? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info See http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-column-charts/ and http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips/Co...

Chart with One Column Column and Two Stacked Columns
Hi There, I need to create a chart that shows a target to be achieved, and two stacked columns showing results by department and also by how the results are split (salaries and ODOE). Can anyone help? I can do the target and one or the other way of the results being shown, but I can't combine. Thanks, Andrea I figured it out :) "andrrea" wrote: > Hi There, > > I need to create a chart that shows a target to be achieved, and two stacked > columns showing results by department and also by how the results are split > (salaries and ODOE). > > Can a...

Combine Clustered Column and Stacked Column
Is there any way to combine clustered column and stacked column on the same chart. For each month in the year I have three bars I wish to show side by side, and within each bar I would like to have two divisions that are stacked. For example, suppose I asked three questions of an audience each month, with possible answers (Yes, No, Maybe). Now I want to plot the percentage of Yeses and Nos for each question for each month. Thanks! Mike - Through careful arrangement of the data in your worksheet, you can make a stacked column chart that looks like a clustered-stacked column chart....

Excel 2007
I just upgraded to Office 2007 and am interested in formatting my chart to the fullest. How can I make 1 chart with several types of data. I have 8 points of data, and want to show the data in 1 chart in the following format: - 1 & 2 as a stacked column - 3 & 4 as another stacked column - 5 & 6 as stacked line - 7 as a separate column - 8 as a line I am having trouble forcing Excel to make these separate settings in one chart. Does anyone know how to do this. By the way, I know that this may be a busy chart. :-) Thanks! Mike ...

Stacked Column Chart / Normal Column Chart
Hi All I have 3 numbers: Sales so far this week, projected sales for the rest of the week and weekly target. I want to have a column chart with two columns. The first column is a stack of the sales so far this week and the projected sales for the rest of the week which would show Total projected sales for the week. The second column is a normal column showing just the weekly target. I can't work out how to combine the stacked chart with the normal column chart. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks Rowan Please ignore. I was having trouble searching the newgroups ea...

How can i create a 2-D stacked column within a 4 series stock char
I am trying to create an excel chart that combines the features of a 100% 2-D stacked column (for comparison of 2 variables) and the 4 series stock chart. I would desire to have my ideal chart being a 5-series stock chart with the data variables arranged as 'Volume1-Volume2 (stacked up as in 2-D column)-High-Low-Close'. This is slightly different from the current 5-series stock chart available in the excel spreadsheet. Can anybody help please? Thank you. Sincerely, Samuel See http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html http://peltiertech.com/Utility/ClusterStackU...

Excel 2007
I just upgraded to Office 2007 and am interested in formatting my chart to the fullest. How can I make 1 chart with several types of data. I have 8 points of data, and want to show the data in 1 chart in the following format: - 1 & 2 as a stacked column - 3 & 4 as another stacked column - 5 & 6 as stacked line - 7 as a separate column - 8 as a line I am having trouble forcing Excel to make these separate settings in one chart. Does anyone know how to do this. By the way, I know that this may be a busy chart. :-) Thanks! Mike ...

creating chart with 2 stacked columns and 2 lines
2005 2004 cost revenue % cost revenue % A 2,608 3,377 77.22% 2,615 3,331 78.49% B 2,549 3,596 70.90% 3,069 3,793 80.90% C 2,307 2,912 79.20% 2,365 2,769 85.40% D 1,916 2,180 87.90% 2,028 2,201 92.12% E 1,659 2,413 68.76% 1,441 2,159 66.76% From the above table, I wanna have cost and revenue on the same stacked column but separate stack for year 2005 and 2004 and have % as a line (should be 2 stacked 5 stacked columns with 2 lines). I've tried it by setting the cost as a secondary axis and set it as a stacked column but the problem is it needs to use the same...

Stacked Column Chart Question...
Hello, Could someone tell me if its possible to have a stacked column chart o a variable x-axis? I ask because I have a scale on the x axis - distance - and I'd lik each stacked column to appear at the correct distance. Currently all I'm able to achieve is.. eg. | 5 | 10 | 20 | 50 | <--- x-axis What I want is this.. eg. 1 2 3 4 | 5 | 6... etc (where ||'s denote column). Any help would be greatly appreciated : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try to populate a sparse range in the worksheet, putting every X...

Multiple Series of Series in Stacked Column chart?
I'm using Excel 2000, and I'd like to see if there is a way to create a chart using multiple series of series in a stacked column chart (2D). Specifically, I have several series defined by a VBA program, and they are graphed along six categories. I want to group those categories together and then group again by month. It should look like a common Clustered Column graph, but instead of normal columns, each one would be a stacked column. In the end, there will be three months shown along the x axis, each month showing six categories with six stacked columns. The colors in the sta...

How do you make 3 stacked columns of info for each date in Excel
I need help. I am trying to chart 3 groups of information for several dates. I would like to have 3 stacked columns (percentages) with the dates at the top of the chart the names of the groups at bottom of the chart and the legend at the right of the chart. Does anyone have any secrets. I am able to get one groups info to chart but I am unable to get the other two groups in the same date without stacking their information on top of first group. ...

Creating a stacked column chart with 2 axes.
I am working within Excel 97. I need help creating a stacked column chart with 2 axes. An example of the source data that I'm using appears on a worksheet as follows: GROUP SERV_TYPE YEAR_QTR #CLAIMS CONTROL AMB 2001Q1 96 .... CONTROL HOSP 2001Q1 68 .... CONTROL DRUG 2001Q1 32 .... EXPERIMENTAL AMB 2001Q1 99 .... EXPERIMENTAL HOSP 2001Q1 27 .... EXPERIMENTAL DRUG 2001Q1 68 .... My goal is to use the values for "YEAR_QTR" as the category (x) axis lab...

Double stacked columns
I need 2 stacked columns side by side for each month. Here is the data for October: Forecast Credits 200 Forecast Cash 50 Actual Credits 220 Actual Cash 55 Total Forecast 250 Total Actual 275 One column is forecast; the other is actual. I would then need a line plotted on the secondary axis for Total Actual. Can it be done? So you would like a clustered-stacked column chart? Excel doesn't do this type of chart natively, but with a little clever arrangement of the data you can make a stacked chart look the way you want. This page links to a handful of examples: http://peltie...

Stacked Column Charting
Has anyone tried the following? From the data set below, I would like to have the data to the right of the Hrs. avail data be a stacked bar for each day. Along with this the Hrs. avail data would be a bar next to the remaing row of data. I tried placing the Hrs. avail on its own axis but that did not seem to work. In short I want to show the number of hours availabe in a day and actual hours used by the verious other data. Regards, Hal Day Hrs. avail EM's PM's Cal's Projects Other Idle 1 14 4 2.5 2 4 0 1.5 2 14 5 1 1 3 0 4 3 14 0 2 2 6 0 4 4 7 2 0 0 3 0 2 5 14 2 0 0 10 0...

Create stacked columns chart but with 2 columns for each x axis?
I need to create a chart with stacked columns, but I need 2 values for x axis. Here is what I need exactly. Month Column1a Column1b Column2a Column2b Jan 2005 125 50 85 30 Feb 2005 273 99 49 21 Mar 2005 148 64 59 88 Apr 2005 204 12 167 102 whereby the x axis is the month and the first stacked column is 1a and 1b and the second stacked column is 2a and 2b. Can someon...

Combine Clustered Column Bar charts and Stacked column bar charts
Hi, Is there any facility in excel to combine two sub-chart types in excel? Regards Richard It's not built into Excel, but it's easy enough to fake: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E1F3C00-AEF8-406C-812D-9BE97AF7D295@microsoft.com... > Hi, > Is there any facility in excel to combine two sub-chart types in excel? > Regards > Richard ...

Stacked column chart narrow bars wanted
I have three series that I am plotting against categories. They are a base value and a delta, and a marker series. By stacking them and hiding the base I get a floating bar showing the size of the delta for each category. By showing the marker series as a linechart with markers only I get a symbol showing where this value fits in the range. Ideally I would like a bar chart, categories on the vertical axis, and values from 0 to 100% on the horizontal axis, with very narrow bars - thinner than what I can get with 500% gapwidth. To get that I am plotting to give a floating column chart an...

Stacked Columns
I would like to insert a data label showing the sum for each column when using the stacked column chart in Excel. I can only insert data labels showing the values of the subparts of each column, not the value of the column itself. What to do? Carl - Add one more series, which uses these totals for its values. Right click on the series, select Chart Type, then choose a Line style for this series. Double click on the series, on the Data Labels tab, select Show Values, and on the Patterns tab, select None for Line and for Marker. Finally, double click on the labels, click on the Alignme...

How do I fix my Stacked column chart with grand totals?
I have a series of data which includes different branches of the company (row header) and different years (column headers). I want to create a stacked chart with no labels or values shown, but with the data table at the bottom of the chart. Ideally, I would like the branches to be listed in alphabetical order (as they appear in the original data worksheet). At the bottom of the data table I would like to have the grand total (again, as it appears in the worksheet). The glitch is that I do not want to have the grand total data included in the chart (I only want it for information). ...

Combo Chart of stacked columns and line
Hello, is there a custom chart template that will show data as a combination of stacked columns and line in the same chart. I have data from two different areas of the company that I would like to put in the stacked columns (so the data shows individually but also a total for both areas together) and I have a goal for this kind of data that I would like to show as a line graph. Any suggestions, solutions are greatly appreciated. TIA. BR, Antje Crawford Plot all the data as a stacked column. Then, on the chart select the plotted series that you want as a line chart. With it selected, s...

Double Stacked Columns with lines
I found this very useful in creating double stacked columns. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html But on top of this I need to have 4 lines in different unit (revenune as stacked columns and headcount as lines). I intended to draw it against a secondary y-axis but then the graph just messed up. Could anyone please help on this? Thanks a million. ...

Can I use side by side colums and stacked columns in same graph?
I have a completed graph that shows side by side columns and a line, but I would like to add a stacked column to the graph without losing the other side by side columns. Debbie - You need a stacked-clustered column chart. This page has links that show how to accomplish such a chart. Most likely you'll have to rearrange the data and make a new chart. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Debbie wrote: > I have a complet...