Making a Blank Cell

I am displaying monthly data in a simple line chart. When the data in the
assoicated cells (say for april onwards) is completely blank (not data or
equation in the cell) the line on the chart stops at march (this is the
effect i need).

However, the data in the cells is not typed in but calculated from other
cells. With the presence of the formuae the chart automatically assumes that
the value for the month of april onwards is zero even if the cell value has
been set by the formuea to equal "", causing the lines to drop to zero.

Is there any way set a cell value to 'blank' so that it does not chart? or
to format the chart?

Set the result of your formula to NA(), not to ""
--
David Biddulph

"Confused Slug" <ConfusedSlug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am displaying monthly data in a simple line chart. When the data in the
> assoicated cells (say for april onwards) is completely blank (not data or
> equation in the cell) the line on the chart stops at march (this is the
> effect i need).
>
> However, the data in the cells is not typed in but calculated from other
> cells. With the presence of the formuae the chart automatically assumes
> that
> the value for the month of april onwards is zero even if the cell value
> has
> been set by the formuea to equal "", causing the lines to drop to zero.
>
> Is there any way set a cell value to 'blank' so that it does not chart? or
> to format the chart?

0
David
12/14/2008 6:36:09 PM
This will only omit the point, but it will not leave a gap. We have asked
for several versions for a worksheet function that mimicked a blank cell,
but thus far none is forthcoming.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk> wrote in message
> Set the result of your formula to NA(), not to ""
> --
> David Biddulph
>
> "Confused Slug" <ConfusedSlug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am displaying monthly data in a simple line chart. When the data in the
>> assoicated cells (say for april onwards) is completely blank (not data or
>> equation in the cell) the line on the chart stops at march (this is the
>> effect i need).
>>
>> However, the data in the cells is not typed in but calculated from other
>> cells. With the presence of the formuae the chart automatically assumes
>> that
>> the value for the month of april onwards is zero even if the cell value
>> has
>> been set by the formuea to equal "", causing the lines to drop to zero.
>>
>> Is there any way set a cell value to 'blank' so that it does not chart?
>> or
>> to format the chart?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Linking cells containing text from one worksheet to a cell with text in another worksheet
I have a workbook with two pages, the first page has cells that contain the main description heading of the cells on the second page. The second page has the heading in one cell and then the breakdown of each section under that, and repeated as there are about 11 sections. When I paste a link or use a hyperlink on the first page, it does take you to the heading cell on the second page, however I was wondering if there is a way to force the cells on the bottom of the page to the top for easier viewing. Right now it just pulls those cells up enough to see them at the bottom of the screen, and ...

my right and left arrows won't move to next cell
My excell spreadsheet was working fine then all of a sudden when I hit the right arrow instead of moving to the next cell the whole page moves over but i'm still in the same cell. I can't type in another cell unless I click on it with the mouse. What is happening? I don't know how to fix it. Help. You are in Scroll Lock! Press the scroll lock key once, and you should be OK again. -- HTH Kassie Replace xxx with hotmail "skeeter1" wrote: > My excell spreadsheet was working fine then all of a sudden when I hit the > right arrow instead of moving to the...

Copying non-contiguos cells.
How can I copy and paste data in non contiguos cells? I tried to copy using the CTRL + mouse but when I try to copy doesn't appear... Any suggestions? Thanks a lot. Alex P.S. I wouldn't use macros. Axl, You can copy in the usual way, but when you paste, all the cells will be brought together, so you can't paste data in non-contiguous cells. -- HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Axl" <axl_mac@libero.it> wrote in message news:40b2a2a1.0402030646.417330b5@posting.google.com... > How can I copy and paste data in non contiguos cells? > > I tried to copy using t...

Formula to lookup in a range, find duplicates, and then total the data in the applicable duplicate cells in another column
Need to know if the following is possible? I have a worksheet with several columns. One of those columns has some duplicate entries. What I need a formula to do is locate all the duplicates in this column. Then, based upon the values found in the cells (currency) of a different column in those duplicate rows, total the dollar amounts of these other cells. I don't know if it would be possible to insert a blank row to show the total dollar value of the dups, or perhaps "paste" (for lack of a better term) the resulting dollar total into one of the duped cells. Hi Ryn: I'm no...

Make a add-in
Hi! I have written a program in fortran and I would like to add it into excel, so that I can call it from a flowsheet. In MExcel 97 developers kit it is written that, depending on the application I can used the C API, that allows a C- language application to call into MExcel, a DLL called from visual Basic, the OLE Automation interface or some hybrid combination. I'm totally lost because I don't know which of these procedures I should follow. Please could you help me suggesting what I should do in practice? Thank you in advance ...

How to make the Case description field larger.
Hello- We are using the case description field to capture all history on a case. We do not attach notes because it is annoying and painful to have so many clicks to add detail to a case. I want all of the detail unless it includes supporting files or emails in the description so I can see all case history with one click. Any way to make the case description field larger? Furthermore, is there a way to see if there are notes attached to a case without clicking on the notes tab? THere should be an indicator on the case itself or in the cases overview view to see when notes are attached. ...

How to insert an email link that makes a calendar entry?
Say, I'm sending an email that notifies the recepient about the topic, date, and time of an upcomming event. How do I insert a link into the email that when the recepient clicks on the link, then automatically the topic is entered into the recipient's calendar at the correct date and time? Save the event in the ics or vcs format via "Save As". Place the file on a web server and link to the file in the message like you would do to any other website. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ ...

change cell from negative to positive
I am trying to change the polarity of a cell with a signal funtion, i.e. change a negative number to a positive and visa versa. I have a spreadsheet which I have imported from an accounting software and I need the numbers which are positive to be negative and numbers which are negative to be positive. I know that I can multiply the cell by a -1 but I have more than 1700 cells to do this to. Terry, If this is a one-time change, do this. Put -1 in a cell, select it, and Copy. Now select the 1700 or so cells, Edit - Paste Special - Multiply. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com "...

How do I get rid of blank pages in a report?
Could anyone tell me how to have my report print only where there is data and not to print out blank pages? Thank you. On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 14:27:18 -0800, SIRSTEVE wrote: > Could anyone tell me how to have my report print only where there is data and > not to print out blank pages? > > Thank you. Code the Report's OnNoData event: MsgBox "There are no records to print." Cancel = true If you opened this report from an event on a form, this will raise error 2501. Trap the error in the form's event that opened the report. On Error GoTo Err_Handler DoCmd.OpenR...

Split Cells #2
I have a spreadsheet where I want to show 2 values in 1 cell and I want there to be a diagonal line splitting the 2 values within the 1 cell. I want one value in the upper right corner of the cell and I want the other value in the lower left hand corner of the same cell. I went to format cell and put a diagonal line in the cell, but it does not allow me to enter 2 values the way I want to. please help, any suggestions welcome! Thanks. Mariah For appearance only. Data cannot be used for calculations. With Wrap Text checked.......... Enter 8 spaces followed by a number. Hit ALT...

How I make this formula
How I do this.... +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: beginner.doc | |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4762 | +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ -- HR157 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ HR157's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34458 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=542131 It's not clear wheter you want to compare E4...

How to detect merged cells with C#
Hi, I do Excel programming first time, and I create a program to detect merged cells , by this way: 1.Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application excelApp = new Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application(); 2.Get every cells in the worksheet, and check it is merged cell, or not. ※There is one worksheet in the Excel only. but the worksheet has 60 columns and 10000 rows. and it take long time to finish detecting a worksheet. Is there any better way to do it? Best, Mars What version of excel are you supporting? xl2002 (it's there in xl2003 for sure!) added an op...

Exclude a cell
Excel 2002 Any one know how I can sum all the cell values in a column except the value of the last cell to be entered which could be say half-way down the column? Is there a function to exclude a particular cell from "sum" ? I know a lot of ppl are far more advanced than I am but we all start somewhere lol Thanks for your help Dale To exclude cell A16: =SUM(A:A)-A16 Not very elegant, but effcient! Cheers, -- AP "DF2507" <nospamthx@blueyonder.co.uk> a �crit dans le message de news: xB6sg.51172$181.12831@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk... > Excel 2002 > &...

Only 2 options in a cell
Hi I have a cell in which the only options are "Work" and "Home". How do I do this? Thanks Robert -- RobertLees ------------------------------------------------------------------------ RobertLees's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26580 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398526 somewhere far in the sheet enter the 2 options in lets say AA1 and AA2 Now in the cell where you want the option, select the cell, go to Data > Validation > List, and select the range AA1:AA2. Mangesh "...

Cell formats #3
Is it possible to customise a cell in excel that will display a negative number within parenthesis rather than the entered value preceeded by a minus sign? e.g Value entry "-1500" displays as "-1500" Required display "(1500)" Regards Steve Steve, Yes. Format - Cells - Number. In Category, choose Number or Currency, and you'll have a box to choose the display format of negative numbers. For more control, see Custom. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "steve" <anonymo...

Maximum characters per cell
What is the maximum characters per cell in an Excel spreadsheet? Straight out of help:- Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Judy" <anonymous@discussi...

Remove highlight background in cell
Hello- Is there an easy way to remove the "highlighted yellow background" in all cells in all worksheets of a workbook, but leave the data in the cell? So, change "yellow highlight" to "no fill" - but leave the cell contents? Thank you so much! Dttodgg, Ctrl+A to select all cells in the sheet, then click the drop down arrow next to fill color button and select no fill -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2...

FrontPage for Mac..dont they make it?
Im almost positive i heard they make FrontPage for mac but im not having any luck finding info about it other than a press release from 1997 for version 1.0 to be coming mac. Is it out there? is there a trial version also? Nope. Doesn't exist. Try the trial version for Macromedia Dreamweaver, which appears to be the cross-platform leader. Or Adobe GoLive, the cross-platform competitor. Or the FREE Nvu, likely to satisfy 90% of the audience. http://www.nvu.com/ On 11/28/05 6:46 PM, "Greg" wrote: > Im almost positive i heard they make FrontPage for mac but im not hav...

1 entered in cell comes up as 0.0000000001
I have checked the cell format properties and set it to general and then number w/ 2 decimal, the only way i can get 1 to stay as a 1 is to change the cell properties to text. Why is it doing this? it just started today and i dont know what i did. thansk! have a look at .......tools.... options....edit......and uncheck fixed decimal places -- Greetings from New Zealand "Breezy" <Breezy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:67941FBC-13BE-4CA5-8207-236ABA319506@microsoft.com... >I have checked the cell format properties and set it to general and then > ...

How to delete characters after a value in a cell?
I've got a list of url's in excel that I need to delete everything after the .com could someone tell me how to do this? I'm running excel 2007 One way, in say B1, copied down: =LEFT(A1,SEARCH(".com",A1)-1) -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:27,000 Files:200 Subscribers:70 xdemechanik --- "mkabwilliams" <mkabwilliams@gmail.com> wrote in message news:bbcc9a6b-8ac3-4848-b389-e66ab6d8a117@x5g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > I've got a list of url's in excel that I need to delete everything > after the .com could someo...

Make a change to an Update Query
I need to make changes to an update query but when I open the desing view it only shows the field that being updated. How do I view the hidden fields? Answered in your prior post John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009 The Hilltop Institute University of Maryland Baltimore County JLUTHER wrote: > I need to make changes to an update query but when I open the desing view it > only shows the field that being updated. How do I view the hidden fields? ...

How to make pivot table grab newly added rows
I have a data entry sheet and a pivot table sheet. When I add new row to the data entry sheet the pivot table does not automaticall incorporate the new data. Is there a way to make the pivot tabl automatically incorporate newly added rows -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com See Debra Dalgleish's instructions for a dynamic range:- http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 00/02/03 -------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Blank pages
This morning, on both my laptop and desktop using IE8 8.0.7600.16385, certain stories on smh.com.au "disappear" after a few seconds. It also occurs in the online version of theage.com.au, part of the same group. I downloaded Firefox and there is no problem. It seems unlikely IE could have been corrupted on both machines. Is there some add-on I need? Thanks Bill Hi, Tools> uncheck InPrivate Filtering Regards. "Bill" <willy@home.om> wrote in message news:OrAS9scqKHA.5940@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > This morning, on both my la...

formula to return certain cell
I have column A with names subtotal lines then in the column B $ values I want to create a forumula in column C that searches and return only $'s that are on the lines that contain total in the text string. any suggestions? Seems to me you ought to just learn how to use Data-->Subtotals. However, you should be able to use SUMIF: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/index.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "jerry" <jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A8DB40C9-B028-4ACC-825E-FEF59D0778A2@microsoft....

Clearing or Deleting cells with formulas returning ""
I need a macro line that will delete the contents of cells in a range that have formulas that return a blank cell. the if formulas in the cells return "" or some number. i need to empty the cells that do not return a number. TIA Fred R. Select your range to fix Edit|goto|special Select Formulas But uncheck Numbers Leave Text, Logical, Errors checked Click Ok Now hit the delete key. If you record a macro when you do it, you'll have your code. scaryboy wrote: > > I need a macro line that will delete the contents of cells in a range > that have formulas that return a ...