make chart based on equation

How can I make an excel chart based on an equation?

0
Daniel1 (174)

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> said:

>How can I make an excel chart based on an equation?

Your equation will be in the form y=f(x). Create two columns, one of
which is filled with values of x, and the other filled with copies of
the equation f as an Excel formula, referring to the x values. Now make
an XY Chart using these two columns.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)
Since this is such a common request, I wrote this tutorial last month:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/PlotEquation.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>
>>How can I make an excel chart based on an equation?
>
> Your equation will be in the form y=f(x). Create two columns, one of which
> is filled with values of x, and the other filled with copies of the
> equation f as an Excel formula, referring to the x values. Now make an XY
> Chart using these two columns.
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
> del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
8/10/2007 7:52:07 PM
Thanks, Are there any other method to create chart without filling out x and
y columns in excel?
 I know some statistic software such as Systat, plot chart just one click
after fill out the equation.
Thanks again
Daniel

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Since this is such a common request, I wrote this tutorial last month:
>
> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/PlotEquation.html
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> > Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
> >
> >>How can I make an excel chart based on an equation?
> >
> > Your equation will be in the form y=f(x). Create two columns, one of which
> > is filled with values of x, and the other filled with copies of the
> > equation f as an Excel formula, referring to the x values. Now make an XY
> > Chart using these two columns.
> >
> > --
> > Del Cotter
> > NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
> > del@branta.demon.co.uk,
> >    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
Daniel1 (174)
8/11/2007 12:02:02 AM
Jon's article contains links to pages demonstrating a similar technique
for Excel, if that's what you want to do.

Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>Thanks, Are there any other method to create chart without filling out
>x and y columns in excel? I know some statistic software such as
>Systat, plot chart just one click after fill out the equation.

>"Jon Peltier" wrote:
>> Since this is such a common request, I wrote this tutorial last month:
>>
>> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/PlotEquation.html

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)
8/11/2007 7:09:56 AM
These techniques are initially pretty cool, until you're trying to track a
bug in a formula somewhere. Since you can't examine the data except in the
plot, you're in a difficult spot.

Worksheet cells are cheap and easy to use. If people didn't try to get
around using them for whatever reason, they'd have many fewer charting
difficulties.

- Jon
-------

> Jon's article contains links to pages demonstrating a similar technique
> for Excel, if that's what you want to do.
>
> Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>>Thanks, Are there any other method to create chart without filling out x
>>and y columns in excel? I know some statistic software such as Systat,
>>plot chart just one click after fill out the equation.
>
>>"Jon Peltier" wrote:
>>> Since this is such a common request, I wrote this tutorial last month:
>>>
>>> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/PlotEquation.html
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
> del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
8/11/2007 12:51:01 PM
What if you wanted to display a chart that tested values on one cell (being
x) and then plotted the y values. I want to do this because I have a
complicated spreadsheet, and instead of a simple equation, the path leads
through various sheets etc.
Or can you have a separate sheet that tests, for example if A1 equals one,
it will display what C4 will equal. Then if A1 = 2 it displays what C4 will
equal, etc.
I hope that makes sense.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> These techniques are initially pretty cool, until you're trying to track a
> bug in a formula somewhere. Since you can't examine the data except in the
> plot, you're in a difficult spot.
>
> Worksheet cells are cheap and easy to use. If people didn't try to get
> around using them for whatever reason, they'd have many fewer charting
> difficulties.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> _______
>

> "Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Jon's article contains links to pages demonstrating a similar technique
> > for Excel, if that's what you want to do.
> >
> > Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
> >>Thanks, Are there any other method to create chart without filling out x
> >>and y columns in excel? I know some statistic software such as Systat,
> >>plot chart just one click after fill out the equation.

> > --
> > Del Cotter
> > NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
> > del@branta.demon.co.uk,
> >    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
Raget (3)
8/12/2007 7:10:02 AM
You could set up a data table:

An overview of data tables in Excel 2003 and in Excel 2007 (Microsoft)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282852

Data Table Basics (Daily Dose)
http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2004/09/15/data-table-basics/

Automating without code (Dermot Balson)
http://www.westnet.net.au/balson/ModellingExcel/LookMaNoCode.shtml

- Jon
-------

"Raget" <Raget@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What if you wanted to display a chart that tested values on one cell
> (being
> x) and then plotted the y values. I want to do this because I have a
> complicated spreadsheet, and instead of a simple equation, the path leads
> through various sheets etc.
> Or can you have a separate sheet that tests, for example if A1 equals one,
> it will display what C4 will equal. Then if A1 = 2 it displays what C4
> will
> equal, etc.
> I hope that makes sense.
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> These techniques are initially pretty cool, until you're trying to track
>> bug in a formula somewhere. Since you can't examine the data except in
>> the
>> plot, you're in a difficult spot.
>>
>> Worksheet cells are cheap and easy to use. If people didn't try to get
>> around using them for whatever reason, they'd have many fewer charting
>> difficulties.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "Del Cotter" <del@branta.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > Jon's article contains links to pages demonstrating a similar technique
>> > for Excel, if that's what you want to do.

>> > --
>> > Del Cotter
>> > NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
>> > del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>> >    which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3
>> > instead.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)