Macro commands to assign colors to each line in an Excel chart.

Is there a macro command that will assign a user specifide color to each
individual line of a scatter graph?
0
JohnnyC (2)

Hi,

First, scatter charts do not usually display as lines, so when you say line
what do you mean?  You chosen as style with connecting lines? or you are
refering to drop lines, or error bar lines, or...?

You can tell Excel to vary the color by point but if you want to assign
specific colors to specific points you will need to write a macro.  What
version of Excel are you using?

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"JohnnyC" wrote:

> Is there a macro command that will assign a user specifide color to each
> individual line of a scatter graph?
Hi,

Here is a macro approach:  suppose your data is in the range A2:B12, then
format each of the cell in C2:C12 to the desired color you want to apply to
the line.  Then select the chart and run the following macro:

Sub ColorLines()
    Dim cell As Range
    Dim I As Integer
    I = 1
    For Each cell In Sheets("Sheet3").Range("C2:C12")
        ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Points(I).Select
        Selection.Border.ColorIndex = cell.Interior.ColorIndex
        I = I + 1
    Next cell
End Sub

Remember the first color is ignored because there is no line associated with
the first data point.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"JohnnyC" wrote:

> Is there a macro command that will assign a user specifide color to each
> individual line of a scatter graph?
I have just started using Excel 2007 and have a macro that is not working
from the 2003 version.  Here is the old code for adjusting the line color for
the third line in the XYScatterLines graph :

    ActiveChart.Legend.LegendEntries(3).LegendKey.Select
    With Selection.Border
        .ColorIndex = 3
        .Weight = xlThin
        .LineStyle = xlContinuous
    End With
    With Selection
        .MarkerBackgroundColorIndex = 3
        .MarkerForegroundColorIndex = 3
        .MarkerStyle = xlTriangle
        .Smooth = False
        .MarkerSize = 5
        .Shadow = False
    End With

The old version would make the triangles and line connecting the triangles
red, but the new version makes the triangles red, the line connecting the
triangles is not.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JohnnyC
"Shane Devenshire" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is a macro approach:  suppose your data is in the range A2:B12, then
> format each of the cell in C2:C12 to the desired color you want to apply to
> the line.  Then select the chart and run the following macro:
>
> Sub ColorLines()
>     Dim cell As Range
>     Dim I As Integer
>     I = 1
>     For Each cell In Sheets("Sheet3").Range("C2:C12")
>         ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Points(I).Select
>         Selection.Border.ColorIndex = cell.Interior.ColorIndex
>         I = I + 1
>     Next cell
> End Sub
>
> Remember the first color is ignored because there is no line associated with
> the first data point.
>
> --
> If this helps, please click the Yes button.
>
> Cheers,
> Shane Devenshire
>

> "JohnnyC" wrote:
>
> > Is there a macro command that will assign a user specifide color to each
> > individual line of a scatter graph?
0
JohnnyC (2)

Colored Scroll bars
Hi, We would like to change background color of all scroll bar components in our ..Net application, but change should apply to all controls in our application. I mean not only ScrollBar controls explicitly used, but scroll bars in tree, listview, combo and third-party controls etc. We even have MFC control used through managed c++ wrapper with its own scroll bars. Is there some way to do it (subclassing windows, application-wide hook, etc) ? We can code it Win32 pure if it helps. Alexander Arlievsky. Scroll bars in list controls, tree controls, etc. are not "real" scroll bars, bu...

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

I need a macro

learning Excel #3

Excel VBA

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

Q:Excel/ODBC/Login ....
Hi' there ! My situation is this; My customer have a hole bunch of different Excel workbooks - with VB code inside. In this VB code the user/pwd to the ODBC connection is hardcoded. This hardcoding is not approved by audit. Is there any smart way (opposed the insert a login-dialogbox in each of those workbooks) - to solve this problem? What I thought of, is to make a button on my menubar to etablish the ODBC connection and regardless of wich workbook I open - hold this connection open. But somethins tells me, that the code should beplaced in a workbook - and not directly in Excel...

How do I find the Data Analysis Plus toolpak for excel
does anyone know where I could find the data analysis plus toolpak. opher32 - > does anyone know where I could find the data analysis plus toolpak. < Start by looking on the CD that was in the back of the textbook. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com ...

Landed Costs ability to apply different rates per line item
Currently on the Landed Cost screen, you can enter a landed cost amount and it will be applied to all items being received on that receiving transactions. However there are times that one needs to apply a different rate for each line item and at this time it appears the only means to do this is to receive each line item seperately so a different landed cost can be applied. Therefore, this is not time productive for our users. We should be able to apply a different rate per each line item and receive all line items at the same time. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Micr...

Effective VBA Code for Conditional Charting
Hello there, in a line chart, I need to show 3 different markers / colors for data points depending on whether the basic data to be shown are =, > or < zero. My attempts to code this in vba works, but very slowly. I suspect there is an effective way to do this, but can't find it. Does anyboday know better ? Thank you in advance, Kind regards, H.G. Lamy Hi H, Maybe you don't need VBA code at all. Have a look at Jon Peltier's examples on conditional charts. (http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/format.html#CondChart) You should be able to modify the techn...

How do I lock individuals cells within an Excel spreadsheet so th.
i am trying to lock cells that have formulas in them, but other cells in the spreadsheet need to be unlocked so the end users can enter information. Hi first select the cells for which you want to allow entries and goto 'Format - Cells - Protection' and uncheck 'Locked'. Now protect the sheet 'Tools - Protection' "ucastores" wrote: > i am trying to lock cells that have formulas in them, but other cells in the > spreadsheet need to be unlocked so the end users can enter information. ...

How can I create Schedule Chart?
I have simply an activity list which shows START and FINISH date of related activity. I need to put this information into a Chart, so that i will get a bar chart highligting the line between the START and FINISH date of the activity. It is very similar to what we can create in Microsoft Project. Do you know a specific chart type for this? It's called a Gantt chart: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA010346051033.aspx http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttLinks.html http://www.mrexcel.com/tip058.shtml -- David Biddulph "mezzanine1974" <savas_karaduman@yahoo.com>...

Any way to open an excel file directly to a worksheet?
I am building an application with an icon that launches an excel file when clicked. Is there any way I can open the file directly to a specified worksheet? The names of the worksheet are fixed and so is the file, so I am guessing adding some parameter after the filename should do the trick. Any help will be appreciated. Regards Sid -- skiddyrow ------------------------------------------------------------------------ skiddyrow's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23965 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=386335 Hey...