Logarithmic graphs in Excel

Hello! I have some Excel data that lists the United States' Gross Domestic
Product for each year from 1890 to 2000. The data looks like this:

1890 260.42
1891 271.87
1892 298.51

1998 8495.65
1999 8848.225
2000 9156.6

I wanted to turn this data into a groovy looking line graph, so I tried
using Excel's built-in Chart Wizard, but the resulting graph looks WAY too
much like an exponential curve (not to mention the fact that it really
doesn't all that good), so I want to turn it into a logarithmic graph. How
can I accomplish this?

Double click the Y axis, and on the Scale tab, check the Logarithmic Scale
box.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"BigDaddyCool" <BigDaddyCool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello! I have some Excel data that lists the United States' Gross Domestic
> Product for each year from 1890 to 2000. The data looks like this:
>
> 1890 260.42
> 1891 271.87
> 1892 298.51

> 1998 8495.65
> 1999 8848.225
> 2000 9156.6
>
> I wanted to turn this data into a groovy looking line graph, so I tried
> using Excel's built-in Chart Wizard, but the resulting graph looks WAY too
> much like an exponential curve (not to mention the fact that it really
> doesn't all that good), so I want to turn it into a logarithmic graph. How
> can I accomplish this?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
1/3/2007 3:26:56 AM
You rock.

Is there any way I can put one of those zig-zaggy axis things signaling a
break in the Y-axis? My Y-axis starts at 100, but I want it to start at 1,
but if I start it at 1, my line doesn't start until like two-thirds up my
graph. So there's all this empty space near the bottom. I just think that if
my Y-axis starts at 100 it will look confusing to my students. Is there
anything can be done?

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Double click the Y axis, and on the Scale tab, check the Logarithmic Scale
> box.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "BigDaddyCool" <BigDaddyCool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello! I have some Excel data that lists the United States' Gross Domestic
> > Product for each year from 1890 to 2000. The data looks like this:
> >
> > 1890 260.42
> > 1891 271.87
> > 1892 298.51

> > 1998 8495.65
> > 1999 8848.225
> > 2000 9156.6
> >
> > I wanted to turn this data into a groovy looking line graph, so I tried
> > using Excel's built-in Chart Wizard, but the resulting graph looks WAY too
> > much like an exponential curve (not to mention the fact that it really
> > doesn't all that good), so I want to turn it into a logarithmic graph. How
> > can I accomplish this?

Hi,

Check this page on Jon's site.
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Show Excel in two separate instances/two monitors?
I've recently been upgraded to two monitors (one of the few things IT has done right around here!). But try as I might, I can't get two Excel (2003) workbooks to show in two separate instances so I can put one on each monitor! Any solutions? Ed Hi Ed, open 2 workbooks -- click the Maximize button (so you are in resize mode) --- drag a workbook by the titlebar to the second monitor... Warm Regards, Crystal * (: have an awesome day :) * MVP Access Remote Programming and Training strive4peace2006 at yahoo.com * Ed wrote: > I've recently been upgraded to t...

hyperlink to existing excel file
When I create a hyperlink to an existing excel file and then click on it, explorer opens to the folder that the file is in instead of the excel file opening. Just to test I pointed it to a word document and the doc file opened fine. How do I get a hyperlink to open the excel file? Thanks. Are you sure it isn't to the folder instead. Only way I can reproduce that is if I select the folder instead of the file when I create the hyperlink. As expected if I use a hyperlink to a particular file it will open.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "purplehaz" <software@for.me> wrote i...

Why does [group] appear after the filename in Excel 2003?
I upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003 this morning. An Excel document I created yesterday in a shared network location that has never been touched by anyone but me is now opening with [Group] status. I need to activate Autofilter, but it is unavailable (greyed) on the Tools --> Filter menu. I also can't locate a definition for this setting or how to turn it off, nor do I have any idea why it is in this "group" mode. It is definitely not a shared workbook. Please help! You may have more than one sheets selected simoultaneously. Righclick a sheet tab and select ...

How can I asign a number value to a text line in Excel?
tI have a Backgammon Club with Internal Club Rankings that are in Text. I want my members to report their wins - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place - in tournaments to my web site . I would like them to imput: their nickname, date of tournament, tournament Room #, tournament points played for, and host of the tournament. I would further like the calculation to display any change in Ranking as a text cell. Additionally, I want to show for the member, how many more points are needed to get to the next levle and what that (Text)level is. If there is a "what if" for this please advise. Ri...

Plot area of embedded charts unexplainably shrinks in Excel 2003 S
I am working on a large spreadsheet full of numerical data. It contains several dozen bar and line graphs embedded across several worksheets. I have a decent understanding of Excel and Excel graphs but do not use VBA. The problem I have with Excel is that it sometimes – and unpredictably – (vertically) shrinks the plot areas of the embedded graphs. This can happen between opening the document and printing it. Other times, the plot area would shrink if I click on the plot area with my mouse, and then click off on to a cell in the same worksheet. The chart area remains the same siz...

Is there a way to setup excel to prompt for a backup copy upon ex.
I want to automatically create a backup onto a disk each time I exit program. "sonny" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the Subject field. Please take advantage of the Message area, even for short inquiries. Thanks |:>) "sonny" wrote: > I am currently using 2000. Thanks "CyberTaz" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. > > It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the > Subject field. Ple...

Sounds with Excel
Hello Friends Is it possible and how can I do this task with ExcelXp: If the value of cell A1 on "my worksheet" in "my workbook" is "1"-play any sound, If cell A1 is empty-don't play sound. For the next cell on the same sheet B1: if B1=1- play sound different than the sound for the cell A1, if B1 is empty-don't play sound. If both cells A1=1 AND B1=1 play sound different than the sounds for cell A1 and cell B1. I'm running WindowsXP. Thank you. Hi Tim have a look at http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip87.htm Frank Tim wrote: > Hello Friends...

display countdown timer in Excel
I'd like to display (in Excel 2003) a countdown timer in a worksheet (either in a cell or a textbox or other control). I want the user to be able to see the clock tick down from say 20 seconds to 0 in one second increments (or decrements, I guess). Is there a function that will do this? If this is somethingVBA can handle better, I can post this question in the programming newsgroup. Thanks, Bert It has to be done through VBA. You could write code or have someone do it for you. That someone would be Bob Phillips who has a free downlaodable workbook with a Timer setup. http://...

Excel 2000
Hi! *First off:* I have created a spreadsheet that has a dynamic range an data validation. *Next:* i know i can add options to the 'dynamic range' and my dro down menu will add the option to its list. *Problem:* How can I make it so the user can add data into th validated data list/drop down menu rather than having the user addin it into the dynamic range? *Example:*this drop down menu indicates how often a system is updated weekly, monthly, etc. etc... i don't want to restrict it, so i want t make it so they can indicate their own time on how often those update occur. TIA -...

Preventing Excel files from being moved or deleted
What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an Excel file on a network? This is more of an network operating system setting question. I would think putting the file on a share that the users only had readonly access would be enough. But this would mean that the users could still copy (not move) the file. And they wouldn't be able to update the workbook. bg500 wrote: > > What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an > Excel file on a network? -- Dave Peterson All explained in Start>Help and Support "p...

Excel or Access?
I have server data that is about 200-300 rows/records and includes abou 25 columns/fields. Coworkers have suggested that this data shoul reside in a database, such as Access, and then import/link to it fro Excel for reporting purposes. Does anyone have a recommendation/comment/suggestion on this? I a comfortable using Excel as my "database" for this data that will no grow much larger than it already is, and is easier for me to perfor the reporting in Excel simply on another sheet. Thanks! Ric -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Why fix what's not broken? ...

publisher 97 won't import a file graph of acceptable quality.
To MSFT: Let me try this again. I have Pub 97 that I must use for writing a manual. I try to import a black and white graphic-a chart, in jpeg or gif or whatever,but the graphic is of such poor quality that it can not be used. This only happens in my Publisher program. I have tried to change the adapter accerleration reading, but it does not help. Does anyone else have this problem with the older version of Pub 97? Do you have this problem with later versions of Publisher? Any ideas are appeciated. Check your graphics filters. Might have some corruption going on. They are in a folder sim...

Charting blocks of time as a bar graph
Is there a way to convert/display a given chunk of time (for example a person's shift) into a bar graph/chart? For example: If someone works 6am-2pm, I would like to have that shift show up as a bar in a graph covering those hours. I would ultimately like to enter a person's shift and have it display somewhere else on the page or another sheet in a graph form to see graphically if we are short in coverage somewhere. An example of what I mean can be found here: https://public.me.com/gadgetman Any suggestions/help???? hi, you can download a model (Gantt Chart) here: http://o...

Automatic open locked excel file through access control
We know,Excel has prompt password to open it files. Is it possible to create a code that can supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we open the excel file through our access control in a form, the excel files can be opened automatically.But when the excel files opened from its default icon,it will prompt a password first. On Jul 10, 8:43 pm, "shiro" <s...@play.com> wrote: > We know,Excel has prompt password > to open it files. > Is it possible to create a code that can > supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we > open the excel file throu...

What defines an advanced level of Excel?
I was wondering if somebody could help me with this. I was looking at applying for an office assitant job and it said I needed an advanced level of Excel. I have been using Excel for some time now, although I recently decided to do a short course starting from the basics to help identify what I may be missing in my knowledge. We didn't delve into complex formulars but covered all our basics and gave our selves the background knowledge to explor further. I am all over the place, such as inputing data, retreiving data from sources such as SQL server, text files and so on. Formatt...

Templates for Excel 2003
Hey y'all, Is the only way to get templates now through Office On Line rather than a direct download that works on my PC? I don't want anything to do with Office On Line. I don't want to have to download 2 Active X scripts just to get a template. I tried downloading one directly, but I got a message that indicated that I needed the Active X crap. Bah! TIA, Mike W. ...

problem while using excel
hi, exel sheet displaying page number in background in each and every cell of my sheet in background And displaying message first while opening the sheet as "margins doesn't fit can you please help me with this issue?? View > Normal -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200786 While i am using excel, when i try to copy and paste words, the program becomes very sluggish. very laggy and slow. how do i resolve this? You probably have a lot of formulae, go to TOOLS>OPTIONS>CALCULATION and change it to manual, you can then calculate the workbook by pressing F9, take a look ...

Weed out words using Excel??
Is there a way to automatically isolate an appearance of a word in list of words, eg I have a full dictionary of words, and I want to end up wit a list where the word (for example) "log" appears. So if the big lis contains: logarithm chair table catalogue (each on a sepearte line) The list I would want would be: logarithm catalogue (leaving out the others) Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Have a look at Data / Filter / Autofilter. Andy. PS I'd love to know where you got your text file from!! "sensible >" <<sensible.148ne7@exc...

Potential Identity loss issue with hidden email addresses in Excel!
I received a spreadsheet attachment yesterday and found a mailto:(my address) embedded in a cell under a text string. It was evident in a tooltip that appeared when cell was hovered-over. I told the sender who now says that many of her spreadsheets - used to handle group memberships - have such hidden addresses. The sheet I received was a reworking in Excel (not sure which version) of one of mine that was from a fresh, new OpenOffice spreadsheet I had emailed earlier. No sign of the embedding in my OO 'sheet, whether viewed in OO or in Excel 2000. It seems to have crept in on her mach...

Fix poor image quality when pasting from excel to powerpoint?
How do I get around the poor image quality when pasting from excel to powerpoint? EXCEL 2007 Use Paste as Picture. If you check out:- http://www.pierrefondes.com/ - item number 74 all of these items were copied as above and quality is fine. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "Keith" wrote: > How do I get around the poor image quality when pasting from excel to > powerpoint? In my experience, the way to fix poor image quality in Office 2007 is to reinstall and use Office 2003. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier...

Cells with same text but excel think it's different?
I have two cells with exacely the same text. but excel think it's different and not returning any value for my vlookup.. I used if statement and the result is showing the 2 cells are different. I checked format, space and even '. can someone please help? thanks. Do you have an 0 instead of a O? (Number zero, letter O) -- Regards Andy Wiggins www.BygSoftware.com Home of "Save and BackUp", "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA" "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84F83A62-88D7-4292-9B2E-B8F34B737B48@mic...

Excel doubt
Hi, I want to set up a sheet such that others can edit the cell values but dont want them to overwrite the formatting/data validation in the target sheet. That is end users have the capability to do typing in the cell or do a paste special value but cannot paste other cell directly. Please suggest how I shud go about the same. Regards, Hari Hari, Unlock the cells (Format - Cells - Protection) that users are to be able to change. Then protect the sheet (Tools - Protection - Protect Sheet). Users will be able to type into the unlocked cells, but not change the formatting (unless they paste...

ignoring null values in graph
I've built a data sheet to represent monthly result data that is appended to each month. In the out-months a formula exists to prevent a DIV/0 error in the data sheet. Problem is, the out months graph with a zero value. How do I fix without having to update the chart range or formulas that calc the percentages each month? Take a look at Jon Peltier's Dynamic Chart information http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html#DynColCht Is this what you are looking for? "Kris B" <Kris B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1FC0C63B-61DD-4FC8-A90...

"Ghost" sheet objects returned while using Excel.Application
I am trying to parse a spreadsheet using JavaScript and I'm finding "ghost" Sheet objects in the file. It seems that if the user copied and renamed the file and then deleted some tabs that those tabs are still accessible programmitcally. If I view the excel file in Excel or try to load it into SQL Server then the "ghost" tabs don't show up. But if I read it using the Excel.Application in JavaScript then they show up. Here's an excerpt of what I'm doing: var wb = XLS.WorkBooks.Open(fname); var ws = XLS.Sheets; var cell = null; var e = new Enumerator(XLS....

Buying Digital Signature to Bypass Security in Excel
My Excel sheet is being used by many users and I have had way too man calls about not being able to "Enable Macros." Their security level i set on high. It's difficult explaining to every user how to set th security level. So.... Is buying digital signature my solution? If so, where is the bes place to do this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi you don't need to buy them. You could create your own digital signature. have a look at the Excel VBA help for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > My Excel sheet is being used by many users a...