Logarithm scaling for charts

When using logarithmic scaling for charts the scaling interval is given in
powers of 10 (1, 10, 100, 1000 etc). I want to be able to change the scaling
interval to show data at a smaller log. interval (e.g. between 100 and 200).
This is not at present possible in Excel but it would be extremely useful.

vroomvondel wrote:
> When using logarithmic scaling for charts the scaling interval is
given in
> powers of 10 (1, 10, 100, 1000 etc). I want to be able to change the
scaling
> interval to show data at a smaller log. interval (e.g. between 100
and 200).
> This is not at present possible in Excel but it would be extremely
useful.

Greetings,

There is an explanation regarding your query.

Click on-
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.charting/browse_frm/thread/1ff81f9f2e110592/36c9fffc1d4abe6c?q=richardg#36c9fffc1d4abe6c

Careful about the word wrap. Or search on richardg.
Best regards,

RichardG

Tushar Mehta shows how to fake this on his web site:

   http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/flexible_log_scale/index.html

I've posted several examples of faking specialty axes with extra XY
series on my site, if you need a couple examples to get started:

   http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/axes.html

Start with the Arbitrary Axis Scale example, and go from there.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

vroomvondel wrote:

> When using logarithmic scaling for charts the scaling interval is given in
> powers of 10 (1, 10, 100, 1000 etc). I want to be able to change the scaling
> interval to show data at a smaller log. interval (e.g. between 100 and 200).
> This is not at present possible in Excel but it would be extremely useful.

making charts based on text categories
I have a column of nationalities and I want to make a pie chart to show the percentage of each nationality. How do I do this? Suppose you have this data in A1:B3 ABC 900 XYZ 1000 DEF 800 (Ref your subject line, you'd of course need the population *numbers* next to the nationalities to plot the pie) Select A1:B3 Click the "Chart Wizard" button Choose "Pie" > select the desired sub-type Click Next and run through/complete the steps of the wizard -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "cwling&...

bar charting
I need help on how to do a bar chart. Can anyone tell me if I can do this on excel and how. Thanks hi simply select your data range and goto 'Insert - Chart' and follow the wizard after selection the bar chart type. Have a look at http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html for a good tutorial -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Justin wrote: > I need help on how to do a bar chart. Can anyone tell me > if I can do this on excel and how. > > Thanks ...

Combining Chart types
I'm having trouble combining chart types and URGENTLY need some assistance. I've created a regular column chart containg 3 columns. I need to combine two columns and make them into a stacked column type and the third will need to be a regular column. Does anyone know if this is possible? Thank you in advance for your assistance. Try the links on this page. The first one includes an example with two stacked columns next to a single column. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solution...

interrupted series in a line chart
When I create standard multiple series line charts, when one of my series is interrupted, excell puts the value at zero by default instead of simply stopping it at the last data point (the data's under consideration are downloads, i.e. the following cells are not 'empty'). I tried to solve the issue with a simple if function, which does not work either. Is there a way to by-pass the default zero value ? If the cells are "EMPTY", Try Tools -> Options -> Chart -> Plot Empty cells as not plotted. "Patrick" wrote: > When I create standard multip...

chart plot area
I have an excel chart with a single line through the chart (at an angle). I would like to insert one picture in the plot area below the line and another picture above the line. Is this possible? Many thanks for any assistance. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Instead of a line chart, you could create an area chart, with a different picture as fill in each series. For example, with the following data in A2:E2 -- S1 10 15 20 25 In the row below, enter: S2 =30-B2 Copy the formula across to cell E3 Create a stacked area chart from the data. Double-click on the Y...

charts with Timestamps
when plotting a chart with timestamps (9/28/05 3:05 AM) used on the X-axis, only the 'Date' part is taken into account. The 'time' part is dropped. When converting all timestamp to numbers (e.g. 38623,.12876) then of course the chart is plotted correctly. How can I have a continuous timeline where date and time are taken into account on a chart ? A time scale axis of a line chart only considers whole numbers (i.e., days, not times). You need to make an XY chart, not a line chart. Note that the terminology is misleading: either type chart can have any combination of ...

Charting Points that start in middle of Category (X) timeline
I have a chart that plots monthly budgeted and actual spending points for a year. So, the Category (X) axis labels for the chart are the months. I want to add other points that start the month after the last actual spending entry and go to the end of the year. However, since the X-axis labels start at the beginning of the year, that`s where it always starts plotting these points. Is there a way to do this? I am using Excel 11 (2003) on Windows 2000 Pro. Thanks, Alan Never mind. I see you just leave the earlier cells in that rwo blank and plot the entire 12 cells. ...

column chart stacks data when i add a secondary vertical axis
I am creating a column chart. I have two sets of data that need to be compared but with a different vertical axis. When I select "format data series" to indicate which sets of columns will utilize the secondary axis excel stacks the columns. I have not been able to prevent this. I won't go into how frustrating this has been, let's just stick to a solution. Look here and all your worries are over http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "scott" <...

Candlestick Charts
Sorry if this a repeat from another post, but I am new to the newsgroup. I am looking for an excel spreadsheet for Japanese Candlestick Charting. Any help is appreciated. Rich in Maine Rich - Make a line chart with your two series of data. Double click on of the series, choose the Options tab, and check the box for Up-Down Bars. Where the first series' value is higher than the second's, the bars are one color, when they are switched, the color changes. You can format the bars as if they were columns in a regular column chart. If you mean a stock candlestick chart, which show...

Plus / Minus Charts?
Does anyone know if it is possible to create a chart showing a positive and negative assessment of a feature. I don't know exactly what the chart is called and I can't attach a mockup images, so what I am looking for is: Feature 1: #######0&&&&&& Feature 2: ####0&&& Feature 3: #####0&&&&&& Axis 9876543210123456789 -ve +ve Any pointers gratefully received. Thanks Neil Hi Neil, put - labels in A2 and down - negative numbers in B2 and down - positiv...

Define Chart Name??? #2
hi debra thank you very much for your help... i managed to figure out th problem... it was due to the fields not updated properly... there' still old fields hence misleading me to think that your code to sho all the items were not working... i have yet to try the code provide by you to remove all the old fields but i'm pretty sure it woul work... once again thank you very much for your help... cheer -- hc ----------------------------------------------------------------------- hce's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=351 View this thread: ht...

ActiveX control with chart
I have an ActiveX control producing some special charts which cannot be done in Excel itself. I would like to embed this control into Excel sheets, and they should behave similar to Excel charts (e.g. resize when the lower right corner is grabbed and moved). The chart object in Excel does have an OLEObjects function method, so it seems to be able to report embedded OLEObjects, but it does not have an Add method for such objects. Can I embed my ActiveX object in a chart, or at least resizably in a worksheet? OLEObject's don't have a resize event, so "plain" embedding does not...

2007 charting problems
Is anybody having these problems, and can anybody tell me how to fix them? 1. In Excel 2003, I could select a range of cells and drag them into a chart and they would be pasted as a new series into the chart. Is this feature gone in 2007? 2. When I have a rotated Y-axis label, I can click on the text and see an insert cursor, but when I start typing, only the first letter appears in the label and the rest end up in the formula bar. When I hit enter, only the new text from the formula bar shows up in the label. 1) Just Copy the range, right click the chart and use Paste 2) Do not use ...

chart zero
Hello, first Post - so here goes.... I am ploting a simple chart in Excel - when the value of a cell, say F5, is zero (calculated as =F4/F3) or F4 and F3 are zero and F5 returns #DIV/0! - I don't want to plot that cell at all. At the moment it is plotted as zero in both cases. I'm using Excel 2000. Many Thanks Andy Have just found the other threads dealing with this issue - #N/A and a white font will do it for me. Thanks anyway guys Andy "First & Last" wrote: > Hello, first Post - so here goes.... > > I am ploting a simple chart in Excel - when the va...

Charting Problems #2
I need to create a chart that has axes in "exact" inches. For example, the printed plot area is 6" x 3", or at least 1 axis is exactly inches. ...

adding a line to an existing chart
Hi, I have a chart with bars and two lines but I want to add another line on top of what I already have...can I do this if so, how? I have tried many things but it is not showing up. Please provide as much detail as possible, as I am fairly new to this. JudyT Select the data for the new line (say F2:F20) Click the Copy tool Click the chart Use menu command Edit | Past Special; specify New Series; click OK Suppose the data is G2:F20 with new x-values in column F Select the data for the new line (say G2:F20) Click the Copy tool Click the chart Use menu command Edit | Past Special; speci...

stacked column chart not baselining at 0
I have a data set with categories in columns A-B, and data in columns C-I. I've configured my chart to use stacked bars for the first 6 data series and a line for the last one. The first 6 are revenue allocations, with the 7th being a cumulative total. Most of the chart looks as expected, but the first category or row of data is displaying oddly. The figures in this row are all negative (or 0), so I expect the top of the bar to sit at zero, but it doesn't. The top of the bar sits at the value of the 7th/line series, so that the bottom of the bar is at 2x that (negative) value. ...

Quick primer for charts in XL2007, please?
(Very sorry for the double-post to two NG - I forgot about this NG until after I posted to the other!) I'm trying to re-create a chart I had in XL2003, but in XL2007 the dialog boxes have changed just a bit and I'm lost! I have four trailers that accumulate miles, and I need to chart the number of failures for tires and shocks on both the left and right side of each trailer. So I have named ranges: Miles_A, _B, _C, and _D, LTires_A etc, RTires_A etc, LShocks_A etc and RShocks_A etc. I want Miles across the bottom, and the number of failures per item on the vertical axis. Insert &g...

How to create 2 charts on one page
I have created a yearly chart for widgets accomplished in Excel (has 4 data lines). I would like to add another chart directly below this to show the turn-time for accomplishing the widgets. It would have the same X-axis values (months of the year). I tried using a secondary Y axis, and the chart is just unreadable with this approach. Can this be done. HELP. You haven't told us why it's unreadable, so I doubt that we can help. If your problem is that the two sets of data are overlapping, and you said you wanted the second chart *below* the first one, try adjusting the scales on...

How do I sum the displayed values in a stacked chart?
Hi Everyone, I've set up a stacked column chart. In each colum I have stacked up two values. I'm trying to figure out if I can show the summed value of the two values in the chart, and still maintain the automated updates if I change any of my data. Right now, the only way I know how to do this tpying the summed value in. The problem I'm having is that I lose the ability to have the values automatically updates if I do that. Is there any solution to this? Thank you very much for your help. Hi, Explanation here, http://www.andypope.info/charts/StackColTotal.htm Chee...

Excel 2007 hangs while loading chart
I have a sheet with 20000 rows and 5 columns of data with just 2 simple calculations in each row. On a separate sheet is a chart that gets its data from the spreadsheet. Whenever I change some data oin the spreadsheet and click on the chart's tab, the program "hangs" for some 4 minutes. In XL 2003 it didn't do that. Any idea what is going on? Thanks. Gerry ...

Combo filled and unfilled radar charts
Using a filled AND unfilled radar chart series on the same chart magically adds an extra category. Is there any way to prevent this? Excel v12.0.6504.5001 SP2 MSO 12.0.6425.1000 Hi, I can not reproduce this. I appear to have the same version code as you. Can you describe how your data is laid out and what steps you did to create the chart. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Zergrinch" <Zergrinch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A660A54B-DB8B-4E50-88D1-325BCCC54F22@microsoft.com... > Using a filled AND unfill...

XY Chart Label
Need the help up of the Excel gurus.. I'm using Rob Bovey's XY Chart labeler to label a Red, Yellow, and Green XY chart. By the way...this add-in is great!!! The data for the charts are built from dynamic named ranges for both X and Y. I have a helper column for the labels that is a dynamic named range as well. All data is linked to an MS Access db. Here's what I'm trying to do: The data for the charts will change whenever I load the file with new data and was wondering if anyone knew how to create a macro to call up the Add In and place the dynamic named range in th...

converting a chart from 2003 version to 2007
I had a document with numerous charts in it in 2003 version. when I attempt to open the sheet with 2007 version, I get an error message and then it closes my excel. Is there a quick fix for this or perhaps a setting I need to change? Do you get any kind of error message? With Excel closed, empty your temp directory. There might be a file there left over from before a previous Excel crash, that's still causing problems. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. 774-275-0064 http://peltiertech.com/ On 4/6/2010 1:37 PM, Deb J wrote: > I had...

Excel Chart Plot Area Auto Size
In Excel 2003 I'm creating a very simple area chart with a legend placed to the right of the plot area. If I move the legend to say bottom of the plot area (right mouse click and "Format Legend/Placement/Bottom") the plot area itself automatically resizes to maximise the visibility. This is good news for me. The problem occurs when the plot area has been manually resized (using the mouse). When the legend is now moved it only resizes the plot area if it overlaps with the legend. This is bad news for me because it doesn't maximise the possible size for the plot area. ...