Linking a graph to a csv file

**Excel 2002

Hello, I'm sure this is exceedingly easy, but somehow,
I'm screwing this up.  I ultimately need to have a self-
updating PowerPoint file (client mandates a ppt file).
According to ppt's help, that means I have to use linked
Excel graphs, not embedded ppt graphs.  However, my
programmer will be supplying me with tons of csv files.
When I try to create an excel file with a data link to a
csv file, it tells me that it can't update it unless I
open the source file.  I *can't* take the time to open
each csv - there will be hundreds.  What am I missing
with this?  I just want to be able to link this up and
let it run every month.

Thanks much!!
0
anonymous (74722)

I recently created a macro for a client that opens the csv file, gets the
data required for the chart, closes the csv file. All that the client had to
do was type in the name of the csv file such as:  file1. The rest is done
without seeing anything or doing anything.
--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Smitty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> **Excel 2002
>
> Hello, I'm sure this is exceedingly easy, but somehow,
> I'm screwing this up.  I ultimately need to have a self-
> updating PowerPoint file (client mandates a ppt file).
> According to ppt's help, that means I have to use linked
> Excel graphs, not embedded ppt graphs.  However, my
> programmer will be supplying me with tons of csv files.
> When I try to create an excel file with a data link to a
> csv file, it tells me that it can't update it unless I
> open the source file.  I *can't* take the time to open
> each csv - there will be hundreds.  What am I missing
> with this?  I just want to be able to link this up and
> let it run every month.
>
> Thanks much!!

0
Don
7/12/2004 4:13:27 PM
This can be carried further. Here are a couple possibilities:

* Allow the user to browse to a directory and process each csv file in
that directory, or selected csv files, using the multiselect option for
GetOpenileName.

* Somewhere in the workbook, list the directory, or the file name(s) to
be processed each time a button is clicked, or each time the workbook is
opened.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Don Guillett wrote:

> I recently created a macro for a client that opens the csv file, gets the
> data required for the chart, closes the csv file. All that the client had to
> do was type in the name of the csv file such as:  file1. The rest is done
> without seeing anything or doing anything.

0
DOjonNOT (619)
7/12/2004 4:47:31 PM
It is possible, of course, to use PowerPoint and VBA (without Excel) to
create the chart from a text file. Microsoft has this article that
describes how:

   http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q222687

- Jon
-------

Jon Peltier wrote:

> This can be carried further. Here are a couple possibilities:
>
> * Allow the user to browse to a directory and process each csv file in
> that directory, or selected csv files, using the multiselect option for
> GetOpenileName.
>
> * Somewhere in the workbook, list the directory, or the file name(s) to
> be processed each time a button is clicked, or each time the workbook is
> opened.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>
> Don Guillett wrote:
>
>> I recently created a macro for a client that opens the csv file, gets the
>> data required for the chart, closes the csv file. All that the client
>> had to
>> do was type in the name of the csv file such as:  file1. The rest is done
>> without seeing anything or doing anything.

0
DOjonNOT (619)

R squared not the same in graph and spread sheet.
I have an X-Y plot displayed with a trend line equation and R squared. I also calculate R squared (RSQ) and the numbers are not the same; 0.8918 and 0.928. Can someone explain this (Excel 2010 and Windows 7)? -- Jim Silverton Extraneous "not" in Reply To. "James Silverton" <jim.silverton@verizon.net> wrote: > I have an X-Y plot displayed with a trend line equation > and R squared. I also calculate R squared (RSQ) and the > numbers are not the same; 0.8918 and 0.928. Can someone > explain this (Excel 2010 and Windows 7)? You would need to post [1] m...

Linked graphics into a Publisher 2000 document
I have a 400KB document (withgout graphics). I insert two JPEG images each around 200KB into the document. I figure the resulting document should be around 700KB. Result? An 11MB file. I delete the images (document is now 400KB) and instead insert the images using the "Link to File" option. Graphics Manager confirms that the images are linbked into the file. The size should not be more than 500KB. Result? An 11MB file. Question is how can I insert images into a Publisher 2000 documentr without the file blowing up? And why does it blow up? Regards, Richard. Richard wrot...

How to get XML data out of an XML file

Multiple PST Files #2

Money 2006 file repair application error

Application hanging on file load...
Okay, I'm having the strangest problem, and I'm hoping somebody here will be able to give me an idea of how to attack it... I have an MFC application that does some networked communication, multi-threading, fun stuff... I also load and save xml configuration files. Now, on most of the computers I've run my software on, I have absolutely no problems. On SOME boxes, however, whenever I use my menu to try to load or save a file... before the File Dialog box even comes up... the application hangs. All the boxes I've tried this on have been Windows 2000 boxes with Service Pack 4....

can't open files

I can no longer convert my files to pdf

Outlook Data Files #4

Backup Excel file

How do I combine two worksheets into one graph
I have two worksheets on an Excel spreadsheet. I would like to take both worksheets and place in one graph. Any suggestions? Make a chart with data from one sheet. Then copy the data on the other sheet, select the chart, and use Paste Special from the Edit menu to add the copied data as New Series. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ McPowerUser wrote: > I have two worksheets on an Excel spreadsheet. I would like to take both > worksheets and place in one graph. Any suggestions? ...

Utility (pref. script) to catalog .EDB files
Hi, I have a client that is using an Enterprise backup tool which, whilst able to back-up and restore, does not provide in-depth information like traditional Exchange-aware backup products. I have been asked to write a script to list the users in a flat .EDB file (which has been snapped and copied and flushed using SAN replication tools). I have taken a look at the ESE API, which can only be accessed using C + (I only use VB). Other than EXMERGE, does anyone know of any tools that allow you to list the basic mailbox details on a EDB file? Thanks, Hutton. ...

Link to Power Point
Hi, I placed a hyperlink to a powerpoint file on my web page. Upon clicking on the link the "Run/Save" window comes up. Is it possible to just have the Power Point file run without the "Run/Save" window coming up? If so, how? Thanks, -- Phil Posting a question 4 times isn't going to get you an answer any quicker. Try to be a bit more patient. Craig Phil wrote: >Hi, >I placed a hyperlink to a powerpoint file on my web page. Upon clicking on >the link the "Run/Save" window comes up. Is it possible to just have the >P...

Hyper link one column to another
I would like to have my columns hyper link one another. For example: Click on B2 would take you to N2, and vice-versa. Click on C2 would take you to O2... and so on through column j linked to V. Is this possible without having to make the link for each cell? This is a timesheet template and the columns b though J are the hours and N through V are the text comments for those hours. When I copy the template to a new sheet, there will be no data in any column. I would like to be able to enter an amount or formula (=end-start) for time spent and then be able to click on that cell and hyperlin...

List folders to file

Hyperlink File Help

IMPORTING MONEY FILES DUP ENTRIES
I have been unable to run money98 files in money2003.Tried importing files but all tranfers between accounts are duplicated. Don't understand how to import all the accounts at once. I created new accounts in 2003 and imported one by one, but any transactions between accounts is duplicated. Follow the prompts on the import file dialog that tell you to select multiple files to import at the same time. There are other guidelines if investment accounts are involved. You might want to review postings on this subject in the group archives at http://groups.google.com. "JAYNE" &l...

linking sheets
Hi All, How do i link my drop down list in a13 sheet 1 to column f in sheet 2. Hi Jinx if using Data Validation to create your drop down list the easiest way is to range name column F in sheet 2 (go to sheet 2, click on F, click in name box (left hand side of formula bar) type name (no spaces), press enter) then click in Sheet1!A13, choose Data / Validation, choose List - click IN the big white box, press you F3 key to bring up list of names in workbook, choose the name, click OK, click OK again and it should work fine. Hope this helps Cheers JulieD "Jinx" <anonymous@discus...

Lost .pst files
I am using Office XP with Outlook 2002 (SP2). I recently had a boot track failure on my old computer which had 2 hard drives, using the second drive as back-up storage. I bought a new computer and installed the old main drive (the one with the failed boot track) in my new computer as a second drive and copied all the data onto the new main drive. All data and software works except Outlook. I cannot find any .pst files on my old drive. Where could they be. BTW I use Matadore as a spam blocker. In article <014e01c3462e$561cbdf0$a101280a@phx.gbl>, daddyray01 @sport.rr.com say...

Read file info using SMO locks database!
Hi! I'm using SMO from C# to restore a database from a backup file. Since I want to re-use the same datafiles I try to read the datafiles in my destination database and call RelocateFile to use these filenames during the restore. Everyting works fine except when I try to read the current datafilenames (see code below). If I skip this code and just hardcode the paths in relocatefile everything works fine. Database db = svr.Databases[destinationDBName]; foreach (FileGroup group in db.FileGroups) foreach (DataFile file in group.Files) Console.WriteLine...

Remove format link?
Is there a way to remove the format link between fields in Modifier? Help just shows how to set it and the usual stuff doesn't seem to be working. ...

Hyperlink To JPG File
I have added a hyperlink to a jpg (photo) file, and when i select the hyperlink, the jpg file opens in Corel Photo-Paint. Is there a way that I can force it to open with Windows Photo and Fax Viewer, Instead. Thanks GW Open Windows Explorer and find a *.jpg file. Select it and right-click and "Open With" Make Windows Photo and Fax Viewer the default "always open with". If you get an error, you may have to open Corel Photo-Paint and disassociate *.jpg files using probably some Options setting. If neither of these steps work for you, in Windows Explorer>Tools>...

how do I set up a spreadsheet file?
How do I set up a spread sheet file using Excel? Now this is going to be an interesting one to watch. Personally, I'd say you're going to need to be a lot more specific about what you want to do. Failing that, go buy some books on Excel. Regards Trevor "louis markos" <louis markos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A30023FF-61DE-4D21-8E31-77FF134B8F5C@microsoft.com... > How do I set up a spread sheet file using Excel? louis markos wrote: > How do I set up a spread sheet file using Excel? I did a quick search for an Excel tutori...