Link a chart to a worksheet

If data on one worksheet (swimming times) is used to create a graph or chart
on another worksheet, can I automatically update the graph when I add new
data to the original worksheet?

Do you mean when you expand the data? Dynamic charts don't care where the
data is, as long as the ranges are properly defined:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Roger Campbell" <RogerCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If data on one worksheet (swimming times) is used to create a graph or
> chart
> on another worksheet, can I automatically update the graph when I add new
> data to the original worksheet?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Chart two variables with differing values
I'd like to chart data similar to: Year 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Thefts 75 120 95 101 80 Veh. Mfg. 100,200 125000 130000 145000 125000 I want to produce a chart with the year on the abcissa and with the Thefts scale on left ordinate and Veh. Mfg on the right ordinate and have the scales set accordingly. I'm running Excel 2002. Seems i can't select the Format/Selected Series data Series/Secondary Axis to set the scales correctly. I'd like to get som...

In Excel how do I label the axis of a chart with 2 sets of labels
I wish to put two labels on a chart say a time function together with a quantity function against the same axis (usually x). I run Excel 2003 If you plot two series You can select one of them and change the axis to secondary. In chart options you can then modify the Y axies as needed. "Alan" wrote: > I wish to put two labels on a chart say a time function together with a > quantity function against the same axis (usually x). > I run Excel 2003 If it's a category axis, put the two sets of labels into adjacent columns (or rows), select the chart and choose Source D...

limit to worksheets
Anyone know the limit to how many worksheets you can have in one excel document DJA, you don't mention what version of Excel you're using, but if you search the topic "Specifications" in Excel 2000 help, it'll tell you that in an Excel workbook you get three worksheets by default and the total is limited by available memory. -- DDM "DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and Tricks" Visit us at www.ddmcomputing.com "DJA" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A21D51E9-A9B5-430A-A87F-B60BE1F7A002@microsoft.com... > Anyone kno...

Merge worksheets
We run weekly reports that grow from week to week. We are looking for a method to take last weeks worksheet and merge with the latest worksheet. For example last weeks worksheet had 5 events, this weeks worksheet has 7 (5 of the 7 events are the same as last weeks events) - we only want to see the 2 new events. Any and all ideas are welcome. Can you pick out a unique id for each event? If you can, you could look at the new worksheet (with 7 events) and add a column to find out which events are carried over from the previous week. I'm gonna use sheet1 for last week's data and ...

How do I copy an Excel chart with added text boxes into Word or P.
I have created a chart in Excel and added a number of text boxes on top of the chart. I need to paste the entire chart & text boxes into Word and/or Powerpoint; however by selecting the chart and copying, the text boxes are excluded. MS help suggests entering the text boxes outside the chart then moving them into the chart and grouping the chart and text boxes; however there does not seem to be the ability to group the chart with the text boxes. If you had clicked on the chart before making the textboxes, all the items would have been grouped. But you can do it later: Hold down SHI...

charting a single changing DDE cell
I have a spreadsheet that captures real time stock data via a DDE link. The cell captures the last price of a stock as it changes over time. Can you chart that changing cell as the day progresses. Maybe capture the data and then chart it or a macro which plots that cell every minute? Bob You would need to capture the value of that changing cell periodically in a growing table, possibly in a different sheet. For example, every time you update it via the DDE, you could run a code that copies the value of the cell to the last row of the table. Use a dynamic chart to plot the values in t...

checkbox linked to a cell
Hello, I am programatically trying to add a checkbox. but it looks like you have to give pixal locations ActiveSheet.OLEObjects.Add(ClassType:="Forms.CheckBox.1", Link:=False, _ DisplayAsIcon:=False, Left:=111.75, Top:=197.25, Width:=85.5, Height _ :=21.75).Select is there a way to add a checkbox and give the cell row / column? One way: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myCell As Range Dim OLEObj As OLEObject Set myCell = ActiveSheet.Range("b3") With myCell Set OLEObj = .Parent.OLEObjects.Add(ClassType:="F...

Changing Source excel file causes links in word to fail
I've got a Word document with about 600 links to an excel spreadsheet. Updating the links works fine until the source excel file is changed thenword changes some portion of the links from Unformatted Text to a spreadsheet cell. Changing the links manually or with a macro there are some observed changes in the links. The cells that change are changed from Automatic to Manual and this happens to all of the cells on a single Excel row. There's nothing wrong with the data and the spreadsheet formats are identical. When I go back to the original settings I can change the ...

Display ranges from one worksheet to another
I am running excel 2003. I have been given the task of creating a workbook where on one main sheet I want to display named ranges from up to 4 other worksheets based on the user selection. The ranges are work weeks and we want to be able to display 8 weeks at a time for resource planning. Can someone point me in a direction where I can find a way to do this? Thank you. Check Ron's site under the Copy/Paste section. http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Opal" <tmwelton@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eb392038-e6ab-46b0-a3d6-eb0df5c7a0fd@h2g2000vbd...

Access 2003 linked tables causes read-only
Hi A weird one - I have an Access 2k mdb set with linked tables. Ive opened the set under Access 2003. If the link is to the c: drive (where the functions are) all is OK, but if I put the mdb with the tables in on a net drive (eg X:\.....) the tables become read only and I can find how to stop this.. Any help anyone, please???!!?? thanks Jim McDonald What permissions do you have on the folder where the mdb has been placed? You must have Change permissions (Read, Write, eXecute and Delete) on the folder, not just the file. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele ...

Worksheet border blends with background during movement
Hello! How to make a worksheet window border visible during the window movement? The border blends with an Excel background and is not visible. Regards, Dima ...

Chart Bars
How to create intersectionso if the hight of bar crosses that line the color of the bar should from that point. From Level 0 - 2:- RED Color From Level 2 - 4:- Green color From Level 4 - 6:- Blue color Hi, You will need to use 3 series to build the stack. Simplest way is to use a cluster chart, setting the overlap value to 100, with data base on formula. If you have the following data in A2:B9 A2: =<leave empty> B2: =SeriesName A3: =A B3: =0 A4: =B B4: =1 A5: =C B5: =2 A6: =D B6: =3 A7: =E B7 =4 A8: =F B8: =5 A9: =G B9: =6 You can then create the following ...

combination chart #8
How can I get a combo chart with 3 series - one as a vertical bar/column, and 2 series as lines, with 2 y axes? I only seem to be able to get one series in line format, while the first two insist on viewing as vertical bars, regardless of whether they are assigned to the primary or secondary y axis. Right click each series and set the chart type property of the series seperately. alas wrote: > How can I get a combo chart with 3 series - one as a vertical > bar/column, and 2 series as lines, with 2 y axes? > I only seem to be able to get one series in line format, while the > fir...

Two charttype on chart
Hi, I have export the data to excel from Vb, then add the graph in excel and set my secondary axis as.. ..SeriesCollection(4).AxisGroup = xlSecondary then how we set this group only as chatrtype as xlLine and the primary axis values by Column charttype -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Hi, Try this, ..SeriesCollection(4).AxisGroup = xlSecondary ..SeriesCollection(4).ChartType = xlLine Cheers Andy shah firdaous via OfficeKB.com wrote: > Hi, I have export the data to excel from Vb, then add the graph in excel > and set my secondary axis as.. > .SeriesCollection(4).Axi...

Sorting in Pivot Charts
I'm using Access 2003 & am trying to sort in a Pivot Chart. I have a single series & I'm trying to sort by the qty of that series. Thanks much in advance, M.C. ...

Link chart format to a cell
I want to create a chart that changes format depending on value in a special cell. For exemple a bar chart that for one value have blue bars (the whole chart) and for another value red bars? Please anyone? On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, vito <vito@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want to create a chart that changes format depending on value in a special >For exemple a bar chart that for one value have blue bars (the whole chart) >and for another value red bars? You can't, it's not possible in Excel. But you can have two series, one which...

Use the same cell from many worksheets to create a chart?
I have a new worksheet for each day, labeled with the date. I want to pull data from the same cell (like "P-3") in each worksheet and put it into a chart. Example: On ten worksheets, pull the data from cell P-3 (arbitrarily called "income"). Then, put that P-3 data into a chart that tracks daily income: the date itself (taken from the worksheet name) plus the data. Any idea how to do this? You need to create a summary region on a worksheet, and use this as the data source for your chart. See this page for more details: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/Char...

Setting Major tick to none on charts is not working, is it a bug?
I've tried to set the major tick for my x-axis to none, so that the marks only show up above my data points along the x-axis... it is not working I notice a small change from None to Cross, but it basically looks the same as cross, just a little bit shorter on both ends(inside and outside). Anyone know if this is being fixed, if it's a bug... or if I'm doing it incorrectly? I can change it with both XY Scatter charts and Line charts. What type of chart are you trying to change? "Mike J" <Mike J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9EFDB3C7-1CBD-4...

Changing database used with ODBC link
I have a excel spreadsheet containing many (we're talking thousand here!) of cells which look-up information via an ODBC link to our SQ Server database. This database has recently changed, so I need to mak every one of these queries point to a new database in the system Unfortunately the name of the database appears to be hardcoded in t each query. I have tried in vain to do a search and replace in a tex editor on the spreadsheet, but as I feared once I have done this th spreadsheet no longer opens. Is there any way to globally update the queries used? I don't fanc manually updating e...

Named Cells In Worksheet
This is probably really dumb: After assigning a name to a cell or range of cells; how do you un-name or delete the name? TIA Fred Hi From menu select Insert.Name.Define Select the name from list - Delete Arvi Laanemets "Fred Yager" <fredyager@koolsturgis.com> wrote in message news:06b201c39314$68e716f0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > This is probably really dumb: > > After assigning a name to a cell or range of cells; how > do you un-name or delete the name? > > TIA > > Fred Use Insert, Name, Define. Then, highlight the name and press the Delete button...

Linking Excel to the Internet..
I have basic knowledge of Excel, so I hope someone in here can really help me out. What I am trying to do is this: I run a fantasy basketball league using an excel spreadsheet. In the past, I have manually typed in the players stats', and then had a formula to create the fantasy scores for the players. What I would like to do is to have the Internet be linked to the excel spreadsheet, and for the following to happen: 1) Chicago Bulls play this Wednesday. Jalen Rose plays, and gets stats for the game. I would like the page to automatically populate the cells with his stats for the game...

Updating a chart, within a workspace
I keep a daily log of a particular price, plus its moving average. I use an Excel spreadsheet for this. Under a separate tab, I have set up a Chart, that visually tracks both the daily log of price, and the moving average. I need a simple method for updating the chart. So far, the only method I can find that works is to "Clear" [delete] each plot on the chart, and then use "Copy, Paste" to achieve an updated Chart plot of the two parameters. This is laborious, since I have to re-do my color and line preferences each time. There must surely be a more elegant m...

Text between Worksheets?
I've set up a budget workbook with 12 worksheets, one for each month. The first sheet contains the list of budget items. If I change the name of a budget item on the first worksheet, is there a way (or formula) to have this text automatically change on the other 11 worksheets? This would preclude my having to make the change individually on each of the other 11 sheets. How would I do this? Thanks! Select sheet2 then SHIFT + click on sheet12. In A1 enter =sheet1!A1 Drag/copy down as far as you need. The A1 will increment as you copy down. Select sheet1. Change A1 data and...

Locate Link Browser #6
When I click a Web link in an e-mail message in Outlook 2003, the Web site opens in a browser window and the Locate Link Browser dialog box appears. I am using Windows XP. After research I was giving the following instructions 1. Double-click My Computer. 2. On the View menu, click Folder Options. 3. On the File Types tab, click URL:MailTo Protocol in the Registered File Types list, and then click Edit. 4. In the Actions box, click Open, and then click Edit. 5. Click to remove the Use DDE check box, and then click OK. 6. Click Close two times. I did thi...

Display data points that are less than the chart trendline
I have a standard chart with an x and y axis and a linear trend line. Is it possible to have the chart to only display the values that are less than the trend line? Thank you in advance for your help. Hi, Sure you can. Firstly, either hide your existing data points, or make them a very pale grey colour. Then, assume your x values are in A1:A10, and your y values are in B1:B10. In say A12, calculate the slope of the trendline with =SLOPE(B1:B10,A1:A10) and in say A13 calculate the intercept using =INTERCEPT(B1:B10,A1:A10) In column C, calculate the corresponding y value for each x value fr...