Lines in line chart are "agglomerating" data

Elementary problem.

I have about 2 months worth of daily piece counts=about 60 data
points. Piece count (Y axis) against date (X axis).

Excel keeps bunching the line data into weeks.

The Base Unit for the X axis is "Days," Major Unit is 2 days and Minor
Unit is 1 day.

Why can't I get ALL data points (all 60 days) plotted separately? Why
is it rounding up to weeks?

Thanks.

0
chowgirl

I am not sure how to reproduce the problem that you are getting, but as a
general suggestion, try using an "XY (Scatter)" chart instead of a "Line"
chart.

The "Line" chart is misleadingly named -- it has nothing to do with whether
you want lines; rather it assumes that your x axis consists of category
labels instead of an arithmetic scale.

Jerry

"chowgirl" wrote:

> Elementary problem.
>
> I have about 2 months worth of daily piece counts=about 60 data
> points. Piece count (Y axis) against date (X axis).
>
> Excel keeps bunching the line data into weeks.
>
> The Base Unit for the X axis is "Days," Major Unit is 2 days and Minor
> Unit is 1 day.
>
> Why can't I get ALL data points (all 60 days) plotted separately? Why
> is it rounding up to weeks?
>
> Thanks.
0
post_a_reply (1395)
3/8/2007 11:59:46 PM
On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Jerry W. Lewis <post_a_reply@no_e-mail.com> said:

>"chowgirl" wrote:
>> I have about 2 months worth of daily piece counts=about 60 data
>> points. Piece count (Y axis) against date (X axis).
>>
>> Excel keeps bunching the line data into weeks.
>>
>> The Base Unit for the X axis is "Days," Major Unit is 2 days and Minor
>> Unit is 1 day.

>I am not sure how to reproduce the problem that you are getting, but as a
>general suggestion, try using an "XY (Scatter)" chart instead of a "Line"
>chart.

The timescale axis ought ot have worked; on the other hand, it was a
later kludge added to the line format to imitate an interval axis,
instead of, as you said, a category axis, so I'd not be surprised if it
screwed up.

But... silly question, chowgirl, but did you quote the day for each
piece, or the week commencing? Can we get a small sample of the relevant
spreadsheet cells to see what they look like?

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"chowgirl" <joan.maltese@21st.com> wrote in message
> Elementary problem.
>
> I have about 2 months worth of daily piece counts=about 60 data
> points. Piece count (Y axis) against date (X axis).
>
> Excel keeps bunching the line data into weeks.
>
> The Base Unit for the X axis is "Days," Major Unit is 2 days and Minor
> Unit is 1 day.
>
> Why can't I get ALL data points (all 60 days) plotted separately? Why
> is it rounding up to weeks?
>
> Thanks.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Lines in line chart are "agglomerating" data
Elementary problem. I have about 2 months worth of daily piece counts=about 60 data points. Piece count (Y axis) against date (X axis). Excel keeps bunching the line data into weeks. The Base Unit for the X axis is "Days," Major Unit is 2 days and Minor Unit is 1 day. Why can't I get ALL data points (all 60 days) plotted separately? Why is it rounding up to weeks? Thanks. I am not sure how to reproduce the problem that you are getting, but as a general suggestion, try using an "XY (Scatter)" chart instead of a "Line" chart. The "Line" chart...