Lines and columns in charts

I am trying to create a 'Line - Column on 2 axes' chart with the market share of 5 companies on one Y axis and the total market volume on the other (X axis is months). I want the market shares to be lines, and the market volume to be columns. I can set which axis each series relates to, but I can't change those series to lines if they are columns, and vice versa.

Any ideas?
0
Luke (96)

You can select a series, then select a chart type from the Chart Type
dropdown on the Chart toolbar.

Or, create your own combination chart -- Jon Peltier has instructions on
his web site:

   http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

autonumbering a column in excel
How would I go about autonumbering a column in excel? Hi the following formulas will put a sequencing number in column A, if column B is filled: in A1 enter the following formula =IF(B1<>"",1,"") in A2 enter the formula =IF(B2<>"",MAX($A$1:OFFSET($A2,-1,0))+1,"") and copy this formula down for as many rows as you like -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Chris Lai wrote: > How would I go about autonumbering a column in excel? ...

chart #2
when i do a chart i can see it until i click on to a cell then the chart goes gray, if i click back on to the chart i can then see the chart Hi Steve, Sounds like you have the Show Placeholders option enabled. Use the menus Tools > Options On the View tab under Objects click Show all steve hills wrote: > when i do a chart i can see it until i click on to a cell > then the chart goes gray, if i click back on to the chart > i can then see the chart -- Cheers Andy http://www.andypope.info ...

Cannot insert explicit value for identity column in table x
Sql Server 2005 9.00.4035. We have a hub and spoke topology which includes 6 tables with identity columns. I need to add a new subscription to a new server (same version/sp). I took backup from another subscriber and restored to new server, ran snapshot, push subscription. To make sure a new record would replicate, I added a record at the publisher with the followig text: Insert into tblicimagefolder (imagefolder) values ('dummy') A conflict occurs with the following: This failure can be caused by a constraint violation. Cannot insert explicit value for identity c...

I want to find the lowest point on the plotted line in a graph.
Hi, I want to find the lowest point on the plotted line in XY (Scatter) graph. I have many points scattered above and below the line. I need the lowest point on the line and not the lowest point on the graph. Hi, We need more detail about the line and your data points? Is the line a simple horizontal line, a slope or a undulating line? Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Edwin" <Edwin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B9AF947-98BD-467F-9F23-93039DD968DC@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I wa...

Line chart: Dates in uneven intervalls on x-achsis #2
'Supplementary' questions: Is there a clever way to make excel recogniz that '3 months' stands for '0.25 years', and '6 months' stands for '0. years'? I know, this is only cosmetics. Nevertheless it would be interesting ;) Gil -- gdavid ----------------------------------------------------------------------- gdavids's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1589 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27378 You could use a helper column that divides months by 12 to scale as years. Jer...

excel should show 4 dimensional charts
For several years I have had an idea for an exciting development to charting in general, and specifically applying it to excel. I have often thought of writing a plug-in but have finally accepted that I will never get around to it so I throw the idea into the community for someone else to run with: The idea is straight-forward; create another dimension to the ranges selected for a chart (time being the most obvious but any dimension would work) and create multiple instances of the original two or three dimensional chart, using the exact smae formatting. Then, when viewing, have a '...

Column Labels #7
Columns in Excel are A,B,C, etc. Is there any way to change these letters to words to describe the columns? Not the way you might expect, but In a fashion, yes.... Put the labels you want to display in Row_1 Click on cell A2 Window>Freeze Panes Tools>Options>View ---uncheck: Row & Column Headers Caveat: That will also hide the row numbers that appear on the left of the worksheet window. Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron "Sug" wrote: > Columns in Excel are A,B,C, etc. Is there any way to change these letters to > words to describe the columns? So ...

Link a chart to a worksheet
If data on one worksheet (swimming times) is used to create a graph or chart on another worksheet, can I automatically update the graph when I add new data to the original worksheet? Do you mean when you expand the data? Dynamic charts don't care where the data is, as long as the ranges are properly defined: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Roger Campbell" <RogerCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Data Vs Chart
Hi I have a lot of data in the following format. I need to trace the value of flag for a month.( I tried F11 thing but that chart is crowded.) sample data is given for 2 days. below. I want to come out with a neat chart that would helpme make, analyze the pattern on a daily and monthly and make decisions . Could any1 HELP! Day 1 Hour Value of Flag 3/17/2006 1 46 2 28 3 13 4 7 5 3 6 1 7 8 8 16 9 73 10 135 11 205 12 303 13 355 14 371 15 415 16 388 17 438 18 434 19 362 20 377 21 256 22 168 23 123 24 82 Day 2 1 67 2 25 3 23 4 6 5 6 6 7 7 12 8 10 9 46 10 118 ...

keeping a sirname from wrapping onto another line
I need to keep a first name and sirname together on the same line, but the sirname is wrapping onto the next line. How do I keep them on the same line. Use a non-breaking space instead of a normal space. You can insert one by using CTRL+SHIFT+SPACE. Yves "rbp" <rbp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ABB2D70A-0E0D-4BD9-A663-E62F79743834@microsoft.com... >I need to keep a first name and sirname together on the same line, but the > sirname is wrapping onto the next line. How do I keep them on the same > line. ...

How do I make the Y axis in an excel chart the category axis?
I would like to create a scatter chart where the x axis is the value axis and the y axis is the category axis, and I can't seem to figure out how to switch the two. Jon's site will tell you how to do so . . . http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/axes.html#SwitchXY ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "megnadoodle" wrote: > I would like to create a scatter chart where the x axis is the value axis and > the y axis is the category axis, and I can't seem to figure out how to switch > the two. Hi, If you want the Y axis to be a category...

radar chart & labels
Is it possible to label *grid* in a radar chart...?The labels of Y-axis makes the chart unreadable... Hi, Here an explanation of what I think you are wanting. http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng37.htm Post back if I mis understood. Cheers Andy uriel78 wrote: > Is it possible to label *grid* in a radar chart...?The labels of Y-axis > makes the chart unreadable... > > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Function to convert Excel column into number
Dear all, I need a function to convert Excel column into number. Example : A = 1 B = 2 C = 2 Z = 26 AA = 27 AB = 28 AZ = 28 BA = 53 BB = 54 Please help. Thanks. Chlaris Public Function XLSColToNum(ByVal strCell As String) As Integer Dim strCol As String Dim strChar As String Dim bytPos As Byte Dim intAsc As Integer Dim intNum As Integer For bytPos = 1 To Len(strCell) intAsc = Asc(UCase(Mid(strCell, bytPos, 1))) If intAsc < 65 Or intAsc > 90 Then Exit For End If Next If bytPos > 1 Then strCol = UCase(Left(strCell, bytPos - 1)) i...

XML datatype to columned dataset
Greetings! Give a column of XML datatype containing this: <Foo> <Name>Bob</Name> <Area>Ghana</Area> <Interest>Polar Hiking</Interest> </Foo> How do I write SQL that will produce a data set (DYNAMICALLY)? Name Area Interest ----------------------------- Bob Ghana Polar Hiking The idea is that the name of the elements in my XML are untyped, and may change. But I'd like a dynamic query to handle this mapping. Thanks for your time. Dan. Daniel Bass wrote: > Give a column of XML datatype containing this: >...

Creating a Line Graph with Selectable Data
I am trying to create a chart for use in the hotel industry. I have 24 hotels that I would like to chart future room rates over the course of a month. I want the ability to select the hotels I would like to compare on a line graph. Possibly check the hotel name which triggers the data to display on the line graph. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have tried to search for "selectable data", "dynamic charts", etc. and can't seem to find what I need. I am not an Excel expert but I work with the program daily. Best regards. I have jus...

comparison charts
Wondering if you could help... I'm looking at charting two measurements in one chart....the stacke columns would preferably be side-by side, within the specific dates.. Total 30-Apr-04 7-May-04 0-30 Past Due 4,666 2,361 31-60 Past Due 293 974 > 60 Past Due 3 3 Excluding NFLD 0-30 Past Due 2,627 1,201 31-60 Past Due 293 524 > 60 Past Due 3 1 In other words, "Total" would have a stacked column for April 3 showing 0-30, 31-60, and >60 past due and right next to it Excludin NFLD would have a stacked column (for comparison)..then space..then Ma 7 (two ...

Values plotted incorrectly on Line Chart
Any idea what's causing this or how to fix it? In a line chart showing multiple series plotted over time, many of the points are plotted at the wrong level (wrong height along on the Y axis), although the data value is correct (as shown in the "tool tip" when hovering over the plotted point). For example, here are consecutive values for 3 series: 9, 2, 3, 3, 2 plotted as: 14, 7, 4, 5, 4 4, 4, 1, 1, 1 plotted as: 5, 5, 1, 2, 2 0, 1, 0, 1, 1 plotted as: 1, 1, 0, 1, 1 Hard to solve without seeking the problem. Email me (remove TRUENORTH. ) a copy of you workbook file bes...

A few stock charts/futures to look at
A few stock charts/futures to look at Hi everyone, Once again I have blown it sending out my newsletters consistently. Part of it is the strangeness in the market and the other part has been technical difficulties determining my top picks (at least that is the story I am sticking with). I hope you enjoy the list. As always if you have any questions or comments please add them to the news groups here or on our site. CLB : http://stocktruth.com/?stock=nyse&symbol=CLB CTRN : http://stocktruth.com/?stock=nyse&symbol=CTRN BBH : http://stocktruth.com/?stock=nyse&symbol=BBH OME...

How do I manually enter data in Visio 2003 org chart shape #2
I am setting up an org chart for employees in our service. I have entered the executive shapes I need and now want to manually enter the position data for each type of employee in the each of the executive shapes. I can enter all the data I need below the Executive name line, but it disappears when I leave the Executive shape. Am I restricted to only saving data on the Name/Title lines in the Executive shape ? shapes are generally meant to reflect individuals or positions, after you create the executive drag (as an example) a manager shape from the stencil and drop it on the executive....

how to add a secondary axis in excel chart?
Is this possible in `03 version? Don't see "Seconadry Axis" option available. Hi, You need a chart with 2 series. Double click the series and on the axis tab select Secondary axis. Not available for any 3d chart styles. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:26951F31-7023-49FA-91A4-13BD6C94C4DE@microsoft.com... > Is this possible in `03 version? Don't see "Seconadry Axis" option > available. You'll need to have at least 2 data se...

Changing Chart data series
Hi all! I was wondering if there was a way to create a chart from data that is different from month to month. I have a summary page that I want to create a chart from, but I import the data and the number of rows varies every month. Some months I will have 4 rows of data and the next month I will have 25 rows of data. Here is an example of what I am trying to do: Column A is to be used for percentage calculations Column B has descriptions in it (all text) Columns C, D, and E are not involed in the summary Column F has numeric values in it. It is used for cost for the descript...

mailto address does not appear on "TO" line in outlook
when a client clicks on a mailto link on a web page, three dots (...) appear in the TO line of the outlook e-mail message instead of the address from the link. are there any suggestion on settings I should check? ...

how do i create a four line consumption schedule for economics

how do i get all url's in a column to highlight?
I made a database of press and radio contacts for my record label. In one column i list contacts websites. Only some of the url's pasted in are highlighted and clickable. How do I make all of them clickable? If your URLs are in column A, then in B1 enter: =HYPERLINK(A1) and copy down to make a nice clickable list -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200782 "Nick Riffbroker" wrote: > I made a database of press and radio contacts for my record label. In one > column i list contacts websites. Only some of the url's pasted in are > highlighted and clickable. How do...

vlookup: can i specify the column with a name rather than a number
eg. if a setup an array and name it "array" and the column header in column 6 is "column 6 header", then rather than specify: vlookup(A1,array,6,FALSE) can i put the column header in rather than the number 6 (noting that) vlookup(A1,array,column 6 header,FALSE) doesnt work ...