Line column on 2 axes - stacked columns data not stacking

Hello,

I am running Excel 2003.

I am creating a line column chart on 2 axes.  Revenue is on second y-
axis; headcount on first y-axis.

Headcount is grouped into a number of categories (13).  I would like
to have each of the 13 categories as a stacked column.  However, when
I try and stack the 13 categories, it works only as far as the 6th
value.

Can anyone suggest a solution.

Thanks

0
BillGilm (3)

Don't use the built-in chart type. Use all of your data to create a stacked
column chart. Select a series that you want as a line, go to Chart menu >
Chart Type, and select a line type. Repeat for any other series you need to
change to lines.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

<BillGilm@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am running Excel 2003.
>
> I am creating a line column chart on 2 axes.  Revenue is on second y-
> axis; headcount on first y-axis.
>
> Headcount is grouped into a number of categories (13).  I would like
> to have each of the 13 categories as a stacked column.  However, when
> I try and stack the 13 categories, it works only as far as the 6th
> value.
>
> Can anyone suggest a solution.
>
> Thanks

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
2/13/2007 6:10:10 PM
On Feb 13, 7:10 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
wrote:
> Don't use the built-in chart type. Use all of your data to create a stacked
> column chart. Select a series that you want as a line, go to Chart menu >
> Chart Type, and select a line type. Repeat for any other series you need to
> change to lines.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>
> <BillG...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hello,
>
> > I am running Excel 2003.
>
> > I am creating a line column chart on 2 axes.  Revenue is on second y-
> > axis; headcount on first y-axis.
>
> > Headcount is grouped into a number of categories (13).  I would like
> > to have each of the 13 categories as a stacked column.  However, when
> > I try and stack the 13 categories, it works only as far as the 6th
> > value.
>
> > Can anyone suggest a solution.
>
> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Jon,

Looks like I forgot to add the words, I'm working from a Pivot Chart.

I did try starting with a stacked column then converting to a line;
but because of the differences in volumes (revenue figures in 5
figures; people in man months) I lose sight of the people.  The 2 axis
solution allowed me to scale them both appropriately.

Have I missed anything?

0
BillGilm (3)
2/13/2007 8:23:04 PM
I've added a step:

Don't use the built-in chart type. Use all of your data to create a stacked
column chart. Select a series that you want as a line, go to Chart menu >
Chart Type, and select a line type. Repeat for any other series you need to
change to lines. Double click a series you want to move to the secondary
axis, and on the Axis tab of the dialog, choose Secondary.

- Jon
-------

> On Feb 13, 7:10 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
> wrote:
>> Don't use the built-in chart type. Use all of your data to create a
>> stacked
>> column chart. Select a series that you want as a line, go to Chart menu >
>> Chart Type, and select a line type. Repeat for any other series you need
>> change to lines.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>
>> <BillG...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Hello,
>>
>> > I am running Excel 2003.
>>
>> > I am creating a line column chart on 2 axes.  Revenue is on second y-
>> > axis; headcount on first y-axis.
>>
>> > Headcount is grouped into a number of categories (13).  I would like
>> > to have each of the 13 categories as a stacked column.  However, when
>> > I try and stack the 13 categories, it works only as far as the 6th
>> > value.
>>
>> > Can anyone suggest a solution.
>>
>> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks Jon,
>
> Looks like I forgot to add the words, I'm working from a Pivot Chart.
>
> I did try starting with a stacked column then converting to a line;
> but because of the differences in volumes (revenue figures in 5
> figures; people in man months) I lose sight of the people.  The 2 axis
> solution allowed me to scale them both appropriately.
>
> Have I missed anything?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
2/14/2007 3:26:19 PM
On 14 Feb, 16:26, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
wrote:
> I've added a step:
>
> Don't use the built-in chart type. Use all of your data to create a stacked
> column chart. Select a series that you want as a line, go to Chart menu >
> Chart Type, and select a line type. Repeat for any other series you need to
> change to lines. Double click a series you want to move to the secondary
> axis, and on the Axis tab of the dialog, choose Secondary.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>
> <BillG...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Feb 13, 7:10 pm, "Jon Peltier" <jonxlmv...@SPAMpeltiertech.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Don't use the built-in chart type. Use all of your data to create a
> >> stacked
> >> column chart. Select a series that you want as a line, go to Chart menu >
> >> Chart Type, and select a line type. Repeat for any other series you need
> >> change to lines.
>
> >> - Jon
> >> -------
> >> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> Tutorials and Custom Solutionshttp://PeltierTech.com
> >> _______
>
> >> <BillG...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Thanks Jon,
>
> > Looks like I forgot to add the words, I'm working from a Pivot Chart.
>
> > I did try starting with a stacked column then converting to a line;
> > but because of the differences in volumes (revenue figures in 5
> > figures; people in man months) I lose sight of the people.  The 2 axis
> > solution allowed me to scale them both appropriately.
>
> > Have I missed anything?- Hide quoted text -

Got it this time

Thanks

Bill

0
BillGilm (3)

Problems with creating a newsletter

Meeting updates #2

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

printing 2 charts on single page

update column

Offline folder problems #2

Global Column Row Preview Font Size

shortcut with command line switch probs
Hello, I have a shortcut set up which has the target declared as: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" / "\\path_to_file\myfile.xlt" This works fine on my PC. Excel 2000 running on Windows XP. Unfortunately it doesnt work on someone elses PC, who asked for m help! They have the same software set up, and access to the same folde path. When they try to run the shortcut, a window opens and closes almos immediately. Help?! : -- soloto ----------------------------------------------------------------------- solotoo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/m...

Multiple stacked bar charts

Receiving Transaction Entry #2

VCard issue #2

Customer check data