line chart expansion

I am using Excel 2003.  I have a spreadsheet tab with numerous charts on it.
The charts pull data from other tabs within the same spreadsheet or from
other spreadsheets entirely.  When I expand the data each month, some of the
charts grow with the new data and some do not.  I can't see any difference in
the data selections one chart to the next.  I have expanded the source data
and the x-label fields but still have the same problem.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?
0
JR1 (208)

The series that don't expand, is their data in a different workbook? Is the
different workbook open or closed? Is the data in a different worksheet in
the same workbook?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"JR" <JR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Excel 2003.  I have a spreadsheet tab with numerous charts on
>it.
> The charts pull data from other tabs within the same spreadsheet or from
> other spreadsheets entirely.  When I expand the data each month, some of
> the
> charts grow with the new data and some do not.  I can't see any difference
> in
> the data selections one chart to the next.  I have expanded the source
> data
> and the x-label fields but still have the same problem.
>
> Any ideas on how I can fix this?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
12/23/2008 5:19:05 AM
I found that on the ones that were in different workbooks, if I saved those
workbooks the range updated in the chart.  I now have one chart that gets the
data from a tab in the same workbook, but the chart does not expand to the
end of the data range (although it did expand part way once I saved the file).

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> The series that don't expand, is their data in a different workbook? Is the
> different workbook open or closed? Is the data in a different worksheet in
> the same workbook?
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
> _______
>

> "JR" <JR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using Excel 2003.  I have a spreadsheet tab with numerous charts on
> >it.
> > The charts pull data from other tabs within the same spreadsheet or from
> > other spreadsheets entirely.  When I expand the data each month, some of
> > the
> > charts grow with the new data and some do not.  I can't see any difference
> > in
> > the data selections one chart to the next.  I have expanded the source
> > data
> > and the x-label fields but still have the same problem.
> >
> > Any ideas on how I can fix this?

0
JR1 (208)
12/23/2008 5:26:15 PM
What technique is used to cause the chart's defined data range to expand
with the data in the source worksheet? Dynamic names, Lists, Tables?

- Jon
-------

>I found that on the ones that were in different workbooks, if I saved those
> workbooks the range updated in the chart.  I now have one chart that gets
> the
> data from a tab in the same workbook, but the chart does not expand to the
> end of the data range (although it did expand part way once I saved the
> file).
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> The series that don't expand, is their data in a different workbook? Is
>> the
>> different workbook open or closed? Is the data in a different worksheet
>> in
>> the same workbook?
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
>> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
>> _______
>>

>> "JR" <JR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am using Excel 2003.  I have a spreadsheet tab with numerous charts on
>> >it.
>> > The charts pull data from other tabs within the same spreadsheet or
>> > from
>> > other spreadsheets entirely.  When I expand the data each month, some
>> > of
>> > the
>> > charts grow with the new data and some do not.  I can't see any
>> > difference
>> > in
>> > the data selections one chart to the next.  I have expanded the source
>> > data
>> > and the x-label fields but still have the same problem.
>> >
>> > Any ideas on how I can fix this?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Excel 2007 Chart in VB6 Program
I have another thread in the VB group and was told to post to these two groups so sorryfor the multi-post. Ill post there again just in case folks want to follow the thread. So I've had a Visual Basic 6 app (as an EXE) that has worked great for the last 9 years or so. Up until Excel 2003 I have had to make minimial changes for it to work properly. The app has an OLE control which acts as a container for many different external sources .In this control I embed an Excel workbook and display a chart sheet. I can interact with the workbook through the normal means of Excel programming objects...

sales line detail window-after updating the request Ship Date-also
I am also using manufacturing, when you change the requested ship date, you get a window asking: You can update the In House due date, What is the name of this window in modifer? I would like to modify this form, so the No button is disables, I want to make sure they always click 'yes' How do I find this form in modifer? the form name is just 'Microsoft GP Dynamics' thanks -- Doug ...

how do I recover charts within an excel workbook?
The workbook had many charts that were previously visible. Now, upon opening the file, the charts are no longer visible. How to I reactivate them to appear? thanks ...

Problem with Asset Allocator pie charts
Everything "seems" to be working fine with Money 2005 Premium (after restarting the program multiple times). I'm having a problem with many of the pie charts. They do not show up at all. I upgraded from Money 2004. Any ideas? I'm running Windows XP Professional if that's of any help. Thanks, Patrick I've seen them going on a new file on Win XP Pro - do you get them on a new file, or do they not appear on both a new and old one? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;...

Draw line in a chart
I have the following problem. I have a chart (date on x axis) on which I draw a line. How can I obtain the ending points of the line in order to compare, mathematically, their positions to corresponding values of chart at the same date? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements I'm sure your post makes perfect sense to you and might to other readers, but I am los...

how to chart who was working when
Hi there, I'm looking for some help in producing a chart. My organization has hired about 100 folks since 1991, each on contracts of varying lengths of time. Some peoples' contracts have ended, and some have been renewed. I set up some worksheets inputting their names, start and end dates with the intent of producing a graph that will tell me exactly how many people were working for us at one time, based upon 6 month intervals. For example: John Doe 7/29/91 - 3/31/05 Jane Doe 6/21/94 - 2/20/96 Jake Doe 8/2/01 - 4/18/03 I would like a chart that can tell me how many people w...

Pivot Chart: Stop skipping Dates on X-Axis
I have a pivot chart which pulls 2 pieces of information from one table 1 and 1 from Table 2. All three entries are included for each day. Except somedays which may have only the one piece of data from Table 2 or none at all. How do I get the table to automatically fill in all the days whether they have information or not? =?Utf-8?B?UHJpbmNl?= <Prince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:A5EF53AB-6063-434F-BFC3-43259301751D@microsoft.com: > I have a pivot chart which pulls 2 pieces of information from one > table 1 and 1 from Table 2. All three entries are included for &...

OPOS Line Display Service Object
Hi, I am a newbie in OPOS. I am developing a service object for OPOS line display. When trying to use it through the MonroeCS CO control (OPOSLineDisplay.ocx, version OposCCOs-1_11_001), Open gives code 104 (=OPOS_E_NOSERVICE), and get_OpenResult() gives code 305 (=OPOS_OR_BADIF). What these return codes really means ? In Control Programmer's Guide (OLE for Retail POS, Release 1.6) this is said in page 18, item 5: CLIP --> .... (This ensures that the Service Object supports at least the minimum methods of a valid Service Object for the device class, before calling any of its methods...

email charts
I have an excel workbook file containing many department sales charts that recieve data from a group of central data entry spreadsheets. Each department chart resides on its own sheet. Is there a way to email individual chart sheets (or snapshots of the chart sheet) to the respective departments without sending the entire parent file to all recipients? Thanks, Mnaut You could export the chart as a gif file, then email that file to the department. The following code creates a gif file from the active chart: '============================ Sub ExportChartGIF() ActiveChart.Export Filenam...

see chart from pushing button
how would I see a chart from pushing a button on the spreedsheet ? ...

Pivot charts formatting
Hi, I want to change the formatting imposed by default in a pivot chart and I want that changed formatting to be retained permanently. For example, for my bar chart, for the different series I have selected colours / patterns but every time I refresh the pivot table / chart; excel falls back to its own colour coding. Any way to get around this? Many thanks in anticipation. Not directly. The only way to simulate this is to record a macro of the formatting changes that you make and then set it up to run whenever the PivotChart calculates. Assuming your pivot chart is on a seperate shee...

Switching x-axis & y-axis on line chart
I am working with a large data spreadsheet with year, number and currency data. My problem is when I extract data to create a standard line chart, the chart is defaulting to a specific x-axis and y-axis format with data related to each axis. For visualization purposes, I would prefer to have the data that is currently presented on the x-axis to instead be presented on the y-axis. And likewise, I would like the y-axis data be presented in the x-axis. However, I have been unable to figure out how to do this and the MS Excel Help menu does not seem to address this. Can anyone help? If ...

pie-charting non-numeric data
I would like to chart and graph responses to a survey that are non-numeric in nature, such as a bar graph for "yes" and no" responses to a question. Or in particular a pie chart that shows how many people picked option "P" vs. "K", "J" or "N". For the pie chart I have a column of data cells, each containing one of the four letters. In short, how do I accomplish charting and/or graphing non-numeric responses? So you have a column of Yes/No or P/K or J/N? Construct a pivot table of this range, and you can produce counts of each value...

Excel 2003: How to make transparent columns in Excel chart?
If you create a bar plot froma given dataset you can format the columns by right clicking and choosing the desired options. In the tab that opens there is a slider which is supposed tho set the level of transparency of the column (selceted area). But so far i couldn't find a way how to use this slider. I know that there is an alternative way to get transparent bars by creating a rectangular object formating it and the use copy -> paste. But i wonder what is the slider for if you can't use it? Does anybody know have an idea? Cheers, Thomas ...

Is Auto Expansion (i.e., wrap text) of a cell possible when the cell's contents are based on another cell?
I am trying to display the results from one tab (Tab 1) in another (Tab 2). So, for example, tab 2 contains the formula "=Tab1!A2". However, when the results are too large to fit the cell in tab 2 (i.e., the cell that contains a formula that draws from a cell in tab 1), the wrap text feature does not work unless i first double click in the cell in tab 2. Is there any way around this? Can the wrap text feature work automatically somehow? Or will i need to double click in every cell that contains text that doesn't fit into the cell. Thanks for any suggestions, or VBA code, th...

Exchange 2003 server outgoing mail queue clogging DSL Line
Hello everyone - I've searched high and low, and can't seem to find a good solution to this problem: I'm a network administrator and support several small business, many of which are about 20 users. We usually have only one SBS Server. The problem that I have is that once in a while I'll get a user on the network who abuses the system and mass mails people (about 20 at a time for example) an e-mail with a large attachment (Like 10 MB for example). Typically my clients are on a business class DSL line which is 256 Mbps up / 4 Mbps down. When I catch these servers with many m...

Stack Bar Charts
I have yearly information that I would like to graph in a stacked bar chart. I have years 2005 to present Two companies I am comparing with two variables for each company each year. I would like to have the stack bar chart by year reflect the stack of Co A vs Co B on variable 1 + 2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. You want a clustered-stacked chart: http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-column-charts/ http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clustered-stacked-bar-charts/ - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltiertech.com/ Sean wrote: > ...

personal income and expenditure chart
can anybody give me a personal income and expediture chart please Thanks Mike mikeyboy87 wrote: > can anybody give me a personal income and expediture chart please > Thanks Mike You can do this in Excel but why re-invent the wheel? Quicken or Money have far more tools and options. If money is an issue try checking ebay. I purchased Quicken 2004 for about $10 including shipping. It isn't the latest and greatest but it does what I need it to do. gls858 ...

How to draw a selection line? #2
I want to draw selection lines with 1 pixel width dotted line style. normally it works ok, but the it looks not very good when I zoom the image to a bigger magnification. What I want is like the effect in many popular image processing softwares such as Adobe Photoshop. for example, I make a ellipic selection and draw a dotted line ellipse it looks ok. but when zooming in it still the same as normal ,but in photoshop it became aliasing lines which seems to be composed by several small blocks. Does any have any idea on this question?? any help would be appreciated. ...

Chart drilldown to data
I have a client that has MS Excel 2000 bar charts made from worksheet data series. He wants to be able to click on a chart object such as a bar and have the source data come to the front. I have tried to put buttons over the chart but I can't change the button color to match the chart. I can change the chart bar to be the gray color of the button but that is not desirable. Is their a way to send the button to the back behind the chart and still get the button to respond to a click? Is there any way to turn a worksheet cell into a button? The only way I can see is to place a button ov...

Charting challenge/query
The following quote is posted on behalf of a client using Windows and Office 2003 Standard. Please email responses directly to me, too, since I do not read this group much. Any help/insight would be most appreciated. I'll do my best to relay any questions people have and bring back any answers to said questions. <quote> The Goal: In an effort to come up with a new way of looking at organizational structure, I employed Excel's 'Donut Chart' function. My goal was to have the head of the organization in the middle of the chart and then that person's direct re...

How to "freeze" chart & separate it from it's Data
I would like to produce a chart and then rearrange the data to produce a separate chart. Is there a way of separating a chart from it's data so that I can take the data and after rearrangement, produce another chart? Hi, Here is some information on how to de-link chart and data. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/DelinkChartData.html Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Rooky228" <Rooky228@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B519787-DF2D-4C1C-B941-DBC1FD054184@microsoft.com... >I would like to produce a c...

Graph Charts
I am creating a chart and I would like increments on the axis as follows: 0 25 50 75 100 200 300 400 500 Is this possible? Yes, if you make a Line chart rather than an XY chart Do not put a label over the x-values - this will make it easier to get the Line chart Best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Taylor" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:111a01c42633$6893c9c0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I am creating a chart and I would like increments on the > axis as follows: > > 0 25 50 75 100 200 ...

fit a trend line w/o outliers
Hi, I made a simple scatter plot in Excel and found an outlier. I want to keep the outlier anyway on the chart while fitting a trend line with all the data points except the outlier. How should I do it? Thanks, David David, Copy the column of data to another column (or use formulas), delete the outlier point, then fit the trend line based on the new set of points, but graph the old set. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "David Wang" <climater@gmail.com> wrote in message news:fae119e5-cbd3-4b4c-9f4c-73ca0e550f17@k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I made a simple ...

Precedent lines
How do I save precedent lines in Excel 2007? Everytime I try to save them, they disappear. Looks as though you cannot do that. I have just shown the precedents and saved the file and re-launched it. When relaunched precedents have disappeared. Looks as though you just have to turn them on again. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "Sally" wrote: > How do I save precedent lines in Excel 2007? Everytime I try to save them, > they disappear. ...