Line Chart 11-06-09

What I want to do is somehow label the breakeven point in a line chart.  I
have 5 different lines that intersect (breakeven) at different points.  In
other words, if line A & line B intersect at year 3.5, is there a way for
"3.5" to be displayed above the lines?  Also, is there a way for the
intersection point to be circled, or in some other way made prominent?

Here is some data; tow lines that cross
x	y	z
1	2	6.25
2	3	5.75
3	4	5.25
4	5	4.75
5	6	4.25
6	7	3.75
7	8	3.25
8	9	2.75
9	10	2.25
10	11	1.75
In E1 and F1 I use SLOPE and INTERCEPT to find m and c of the first data
series
In E2 and F2 ditto for second
In E3 I compute the x value where they intersect =(c2-c1)/(m1-m2)
=(F2-F1)/(E1-E2)
In F3 I compute the corresponding y value  y =m1*x1+c1; =E1*E3+F1
Select E3:F3 and use Copy; clcik the chart; use Edit | Paste Special | New
SERIES with x-value in first column; clcik OK
Format he new data series (one point) as a circle
Format again and specify Data Labels
Format Data Label to show as many decimal point (2 is enough) as needed
You may need to delete the legend for Series 3
Careful: you must select both the makers and the text in the legend before
hitting Deelte
Otherwise you could loose a lot of work (Ctrl+Z might bring it back)
(save file first, in case you delete the series not just its legend)

Email me (addy from my website) if you want a sample file
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Sandra P" <SandraP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What I want to do is somehow label the breakeven point in a line chart.  I
> have 5 different lines that intersect (breakeven) at different points.  In
> other words, if line A & line B intersect at year 3.5, is there a way for
> "3.5" to be displayed above the lines?  Also, is there a way for the
> intersection point to be circled, or in some other way made prominent?

0
Bernard
11/6/2009 7:07:25 PM
Excel 2007
Multiple complex curve intersections.
With labels and markers.
No math.
One click macro solution.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/yg0tjduzv10/11_06_09.xlsm
0
Herbert
11/6/2009 8:42:19 PM
Is the break even point a data point, or is it determined by visual
inspection? Either way, you need to have a point there in order to plot it.
If visual inspection, you'll need to dig up your algebra book and write a
formula that calculates the intersection point.

Once you have the point identfied, you can either active a data label and
overwrite the text to whatever you want it to display, or you can use a
y-error bar to generate what looks like a label with leader line.

To change the single data point's appearance:
Create a picture (import, drawing toolbar, etc) of what you want the marker
to look like. Copy the picture, select the single data point (two single
clicks usually) and then paste. the data point has now adopted the appearance
of the picture.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Sandra P" wrote:

> What I want to do is somehow label the breakeven point in a line chart.  I
> have 5 different lines that intersect (breakeven) at different points.  In
> other words, if line A & line B intersect at year 3.5, is there a way for
> "3.5" to be displayed above the lines?  Also, is there a way for the
> intersection point to be circled, or in some other way made prominent?

Chart Types
Is there other specialized software which would be an add-in to Excel and give me a larger variety of chart types? SigmaPlot (http://www.spssscience.com/SigmaPlot/) Amigo (http://www.threedgraphics.com/products.html), Delta Graph (http://www.spss.com/deltagraph/), and Harvard Graphics (http://www.harvardgraphics.com/) Please do not consider this as an endorsement of any particular program. Also, with a little ingenuity, one can simulate a large range of effects. See various websites for examples: mine, Jon Peltier's (www.geocities.com/jonpeltier), Stephen Bullen's (www.bmsltd....

chart templates
Hello, sorry for not knowing the exact english terms as I am using the german versions of Office. In Office 2007 chart templates exists. But I have not found the setting to change the standard folder where they are saved. Right now it is C:\Documents and settings\USERNAME \Anwendungsdaten(?)\Microsoft\Templates\Charts. How can I change that path? Only in Word 2007 you can set the standard folders. But I haven't found the appropriate setting there! I want to set the standard folder to the server so every user can use the same chart templates! If I put a template file (*.crtx) on the Se...

Excel 12, insert chart does not work. Exel restart. Why?
When I insert chart and select chart data, MS Office encounters a problem and need to close. Another thing: On chart tools the desings are empty. Any solution? In article <A678D3D8-566D-46A1-8A19-5F85D34BB2C8@microsoft.com>, tujauja@discussions.microsoft.com says... > When I insert chart and select chart data, MS Office encounters a problem and > need to close. > Another thing: > On chart tools the desings are empty. > Any solution? > Office 12 is still in beta. You should have received information from MS about where and how to post questions about it. -- Rega...

Help! #11
When I print my contact list from outlook it says my name on top of each contact, which is ok. What I wanted to do was change the name so it said my company name. I cannot seem to find where the "profile name" is stored so that I can change it. I tried changing the email name, but that's not it. Email me please, as to I don't regulary come on here to post. Thanks in advance. TGS ...

Chart Help -How ?
Hi, I'm a newbie with Excel & I am struggling to make this work. It's work related. I'm simply trying to show sales figures in a Pie-chart based upon the following information: Alex Frankie w/c 13/3/06 Calls made 45 70 No. not interested 10 10 No. interested 1 8 No. of call backs 34 52 Appointments made 0 1 But I can't work out how I'm going to show the legends but also including the 2 staff members. I'm sure somebody out there will have a better resolution. Thanks -- conks ----------------------------------------------------------------------...

How do I freeze lines on a form
I have a form that was created in word that co-workers have to type on with client information. How do I make the lines & boxes freeze so that when they do type on it it doesn't move? Insert a table. Put each form field in a separate cell of the table. In the Table Properties dialog, Rows tab, set the row heights to "Exactly" values. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. rauten46 wrote: > I have a form that was created i...

Failed Updates 06-26-10
Usually when I try to install updates, a message will appear indicating that the process has failed. When I allow Windows to automatically install updates, however, my Internet connection fails and I then have to do a system restore to remove the updates so that I can use the Internet again. Can you please help me with this, as I do want to be able to update my computer with programs and anti-virus updates without losing my Internet connection each time? Thanks. Allen • Which version of the Windows operating system am I running? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...

How do I place two or more charts on a worksheet?
I can't figure out how to keep Excel 2007 overlaying a new chart on top of an existing chart in a seperate worksheet. What I would like to do is create one 8.5 x 11 worksheet with four 3 x 5 charts on it. Select each chart and move it into position. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Rick@Draper" <Rick@Draper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:082C5930-64F0-4A6E-958E-967BDCCDB9C9@microsoft.com... >I can't figure out how to keep Excel 20...

Compiling MFC project from command line...
Hi, How do I compile and link MFC activex project from command line in MSVC 6.0 Is there any tool which generates such info... Help ! sandSpiderX If you look in the project settings for your ActiveX project, you will see the command line that is used by the IDE for building the project. You should be able to use that command line directly. "sandSpider" <m74.piscean@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1120655631.691634.137580@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > How do I compile and link MFC activex project from command line in MSVC > 6.0 > > Is the...

How to start cluster from command line?
We are running Windows 2003 domain and Exchange 2003 cluster. I had to take ALL of the cluster resources offline install a Microsoft fix. Now the cluster won't show up in Cluster Administrator so I can't bring the cluster back online. Anyone know the command line commands to do this, or how I open a connection to the cluster in Cluster Administrator? TIA, Lamar The virtual node name is "stms". Whe I try to connect to that cluster it says that the cluster service is not running on that node. Lamar "Lamar Thomas" <none@none.com> wrote in me...

Line selection for formating in Excel chart
Have "plain vanilla" line chart in excel spread sheet. Data series consist of several lines closely space. Normally I can select and RClick a single series for formating such as line color and thickness. Is it possible to simultaneously select all data series to change a common format such as line thickness. I'd like to do this without individually selecting each line while the control key is depressed. (lazy and not that good-a shot). ~Dave Hi, No you can not select multiple series, like you can with shape objects. The only time saver is, select 1 on the series and the f...

Some grid lines disappear randomly. How do I restore them?
Column and row lines have broken on my excel document. I'm a new user. How can I restore column and row breaks? Hello: Did you apply a background fill to some cell? If you apply a background file to a cell the gridlines will disappear. This is easiest to see if you apply a white background fill. This condition will be copied with cell if you copy to another part of the sheet. To test if this is your problem go to (after saving a backup) edit/clear/formats. If that returns all your gridlines then your problem is formating. Pieter Vandenberg Lizzeebee007 <Lizzeebee007@discussion...

need more infomation on scatter charts?
i tried to create scatter chart, but was not able to do becaues of lack of options and assistance. could any one please help me Hi, To create a scatter chart you need a minimum of a set of Y values. Select the row or column of cells and using the chart wizard create a xy-scatter. With only 1 set of values the chart will default to an incremental set of x values ranging from 1 to the number of cells in the Y range. If you have a set of x values as well then select both sets of data. If you have your data in 2 columns the best layout for the chart wizard is Xvalue1 Yvalue1 Xvalue2 Yvalue2...

How can I choose which lines are frozen using "freeze pane"?
I've tried highlighting the row I would like to freeze, usually just the first row, but it always freezes it after the 16th row. Any suggestions!? This is really frustrating! See if this old post helps: http://tinyurl.com/2qdzt -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "emilyp" <emilyp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35457940-EC4E-4071-B8C5-4AFD3DABDCB6@microsoft.com... I've tried highlighting the row I would like...

2003 charts don't format to page size in 2007. any suggestions
I have numerous charts created in Excel 2003 that are formatted to print very legibly on 8-1/2 x 11. Excel 2007 does not seem to make any proportional adjustments base on paper size, resulting in a long flat chart that is not legible because the print is too small. Any suggestions on how to modify the ratios. Clicking on print options "print on 1 page high by 1 page wide" has no effect. the height and width ratios do not change at all as they did in 2003. ...

Distribution List 12-30-09
I deleted a distribution list in error. Is there a way for me to restore it? Of course. Retrieve it from the Deleted Items Folder or your most recent backup file. -- Russ Valentine "km" <km@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1886E81E-461E-4636-8116-568DE4221BC7@microsoft.com... >I deleted a distribution list in error. Is there a way for me to restore >it? ...

How to hide the Group Box lines around options buttons??
I'm working on my first Excel form and need to create option buttons with Excel's forms toolbar. After making several sets of Group Boxes, I can't figure out how to remove the Group Box frame surrounding the option buttons. I know it's something very simple but would appreciate your help. Thanks, Charlie charlie6067 You can hide the groupboxes in code--I don't think that there's any other way. Hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window type this and hit enter. activesheet.groupboxes.visible = false If you only want to hide a single groupbo...

Stacked Chart #2
Would like to have the charts largest data point on the top of the stacked chart instead of defaulting to the bottom. Other than going into data series and moving individually up or down, is there a faster way? -- Lindaslucy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Lindaslucy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36721 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=564474 ...

Conditional Formatting 11-07-07
Is it possible to apply conditional formatting if the field contains a certain word along with any other text? I want to highlight a record if a certain field contains the word "report." Yes, it is possible. Instead of conditional formatting of Field Value is = "Report Due" Try EXPRESSION is [SomeField] Like "*Report*" -- John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007 Center for Health Program Development and Management University of Maryland Baltimore County .. "amandap83" <amandap83@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

highlight areas of chart?
Hi I have a time series line chart (dates on x labels, returns on Y) can I highligh the chart in a particular date range? THANKS!! Stan Stan, Yes you can. Assume that you start with your data set up like below. The “Background” data will eventually make up the background colors. Data Background 1/1/2005 6 10 1/2/2005 8 10 1/3/2005 9 10 1/4/2005 7 1/5/2005 5 1/6/2005 6 10 1/7/2005 7 10 1/8/2005 5 10 1/9/2005 4 1/10/2005 3 Create a simple line chart. Click on the second series (the 10’s), right click you mouse, go to Chart Type -> Clustered Column. You should now have o...

How do I create a Line Chart (Special)
Hi there, I know how to create a line chart, what i want basically to do is create a stack chart without showing the border or colour, all i want is to show the line only ay the top of the stack. hope this makes sense. regards Harry Stacked charts in general, and stacked line charts specifically, are not very effective at showing information, but if you look at the other line chart subtypes, the two in the center column of the Chart Type dialog (when Line is selected in the list) are "stacked line" types, which only show the line for the cumulative total at each catego...

lines in cells with numbers
When I print an excel worksheet, I have line lines running through th some of the numbers. It looks like I put a number in and then crosse it out. I have gone into format cells and cleared everything but the line still appear -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Move the cursor slowly across the line, and if it changes into a different kind of cross with arrowheads on the ends, then the line is probably a drawing object...........while the cursor is in that new shape, just Right-click > Cut......... Otherwise, the cell might be being formatted by a ChangeEvent macro..........

how to switch the primary and secondary Y axis to opposite chart s
Using Excel 2007, evertyime I refresh pivot table data, my charts lose almost all of the formatting (ex. axis will disappear and chart type will revert from lines to columns). Most annoying problem I have when this happens is the primary Y axis moves from the left side to the right side of the chart, and when I re-introduce the secondary Y axis, it will appear on the left. How can I easily move the primary Y axis back to the left side of the chart or switch the two axes? I've tried choosing Layout - Axes to hide and re-display the axes but this did not work. Format the primary cate...

Link Chart with data cell (cl
This was your questio Hi I want to link all the points in my xychart with the rows of the data that are in the chart. i.e. after a mouseclick on the chart data the user will be redirected to the data row The idea is to create a link to a text cell, situated in the same row as the data, which explains the details to each point Thanks in advance for your help Mattia ...

Size of plot area expands when Chart Title is deleted
Hi, I have a worksheet with about 8 charts on it. On all but 1 chart, when I delete the Chart Title, the plot area expands. Can anyone tell me why this happens? I'm no chart expert and I can't seem to find any obvious setting that would control that behavior. -- TIA Chuck M. If you have not manually adjusted the plot area size, Excel considers it the default size. This default size changes based on whether there are axis titles, a chart title, and a legend. Adding or removing any of these features causes the Excel to change the plot area, To prevent this behavior, change the ...