JWalk Chart Tools series label problem

I am using John Walkenbach's "JWalk Chart Tools" add-in to label a data
series with values from other cells. (I want percentages as data labels even
though the series is charted as actual values.) The two cells I'm using to
label the two points in my series are not next to each other, if this is
important. I CTRL-click the two cells and they are listed in the selection
window with a comma, like this: 'Source data'!$D$8, 'Source data'!$AG$8 .
This looks good to me. But while the values in D8 and AG8 are 5.33% and
5.16%, the labels show up as 5.33% and 21.93%

Bizarre, huh? I thought for a second that 21.93 might be the PRODUCT of 5.33
and 5.16, but that product is closer to 28. Can anyone help?

What I'd really like to do, while I'm at it, is to show BOTH the actual
values and the percentages in a two-part data label. (At the moment, the
actual values can only be estimated from the labels on the Y-axis.) If
anyone can do that, I will be deeply impressed.

Thank you very much,

Jamie

Jamie, the labels range needs to be in a contiguous range.

You can use a formula to combine two or more values in a single cell.
Something like this:

=A1 & ", " & B1

This shows the value in A1 and B1, separated by a comma. Do that for each
data point, and make sure that these formulas are in a contiguous range.
Then the Chart Tools utility should work.

John Walkenbach
For Excel tips, macros, & downloads...
http://j-walk.com/ss

"Jamie Martin" <lionsmouth2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am using John Walkenbach's "JWalk Chart Tools" add-in to label a data
> series with values from other cells. (I want percentages as data labels
even
> though the series is charted as actual values.) The two cells I'm using to
> label the two points in my series are not next to each other, if this is
> important. I CTRL-click the two cells and they are listed in the selection
> window with a comma, like this: 'Source data'!$D$8, 'Source data'!$AG$8 .
> This looks good to me. But while the values in D8 and AG8 are 5.33% and
> 5.16%, the labels show up as 5.33% and 21.93%
>
> Bizarre, huh? I thought for a second that 21.93 might be the PRODUCT of
5.33
> and 5.16, but that product is closer to 28. Can anyone help?
>
> What I'd really like to do, while I'm at it, is to show BOTH the actual
> values and the percentages in a two-part data label. (At the moment, the
> actual values can only be estimated from the labels on the Y-axis.) If
> anyone can do that, I will be deeply impressed.
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Jamie

0
john9024 (37)
7/23/2003 7:56:12 PM
OK, I see what JWalk is doing: it uses the first label I specify and then
just reads down one row to get the next label, ignoring the second cell
address I specified. Is there anything I can do about this?

"Jamie Martin" <lionsmouth2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am using John Walkenbach's "JWalk Chart Tools" add-in to label a data
> series with values from other cells. (I want percentages as data labels
even
> though the series is charted as actual values.) The two cells I'm using to
> label the two points in my series are not next to each other, if this is
> important. I CTRL-click the two cells and they are listed in the selection
> window with a comma, like this: 'Source data'!$D$8, 'Source data'!$AG$8 .
> This looks good to me. But while the values in D8 and AG8 are 5.33% and
> 5.16%, the labels show up as 5.33% and 21.93%
>
> Bizarre, huh? I thought for a second that 21.93 might be the PRODUCT of
5.33
> and 5.16, but that product is closer to 28. Can anyone help?
>
> What I'd really like to do, while I'm at it, is to show BOTH the actual
> values and the percentages in a two-part data label. (At the moment, the
> actual values can only be estimated from the labels on the Y-axis.) If
> anyone can do that, I will be deeply impressed.
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Jamie

That's sweet. I'd really like to have each value on its own line. Is there a
return character, such as =A1 & "/n" & B1 ?

> You can use a formula to combine two or more values in a single cell.
> Something like this:
>
> =A1 & ", " & B1

Use CHAR(10) to force a new line.

> That's sweet. I'd really like to have each value on its own line. Is there
> return character, such as =A1 & "/n" & B1 ?
>
> > You can use a formula to combine two or more values in a single cell.
> > Something like this:
> >
> > =A1 & ", " & B1

0
john9024 (37)
7/23/2003 11:09:39 PM
=text(f15,"0.00%") & char(10) & "(" & e15 & ")"

(It should look ok in the cell--untested in the chart.)

And set that cell to wordwrap (format|cells|alignment tab).

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Adding Lines And Boxes, etc. To A Chart ?
Hello, Will blame it on my age. Using Excel 2007 (or, at least trying to) and XP. When I have a chart page opened up, how do I get it to show the bar on the bottom (that the real old versions had) that allows one to click on one of its icons shown to "draw" lines, arrowed lines, boxes, add text with a box, etc on the chart itself ? Thanks, Bob Hi, With the chart selected you can use the Insert tab > Illustrations > Shapes. To add shapes to the chart. Textbox is in the Text group of the Insert tab. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypo...

clustered stack column charts #2
I am trying to create a chart with three stacks in two columns. I tried using the method described by Bernard Liengmen's but it doesn't allow me to add a secondary axis for the last (sixth) data series. I don't get it??? How does one series in a stacked cluster use the secondary axis? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Lou T wrote: > I am trying to create a chart with three stacks in two columns. I tried > using the method described by Bernard Liengmen's but it ...

Problem terminating plink under Windows
Hello, I am using plink to establish an SSH session with a host. I have developed some Windows code to manage the plink session. I am using CreateProcess to start plink and various read/write commands to communicate with plink. I've tried to terminate plink with the commands to send a Control C or Control Break to a session. That hasn't worked. I've found an obscure note on another program that states the problem may be that the progam (plink) does not have a console. At the moment I've resorted to calling TerminateProcess to end plink. The documentation states Termin...

How do I get a trendline for all data series, instead of just one.
I need to retrieve R squared values, and trendline information for all data series within a block of data. Excel is only letting me get trendline information on one data series, which is almost useless for me. Dave Darling - >I need to retrieve R squared values, and trendline information for all data >series within a block of data. Excel is only letting me get trendline >information on one data series, which is almost useless for me.< You can add a trendline and get R squared for each data series. If you need a trendline for the combination of several data series, you c...

PatchFactory 2.0 Released. Professional and easy-to-use patch building tool for Win9x/Me/NT/2000/XP.
Description: Professional and easy-to-use patch building environment that can help you to create instant patch packages for software and file updating. Generated patch packages are small size self-extracting executable update programs in a famous installer style with adjustable user-friendly interface and multilingual support. Enhanced with features like easy-to-use interface including a Wizard mode, powerful patch engine, integrated compression technology, adjustable multilingual user-friendly interface of the update program, this program will most definitely become a valuable asset for softw...

Problem with Excel add-in and .NET
I have developed an Excel add-in for a customer. The add-in enables users to retrieve data from a database by using WorkSheet functions defined in the xla file. The xla file has references to a .NET component (.dll). To be be able to use the component from Excel I have used regasm.exe to create a type library (tlb file) The User writes in a cell =Quote('31/12/2009';'MSFT') and Microsofts stock quote shows up. These functions are heavily used in a excel workbook. Since the spreadsheet is big and there's a lot of data to retrieve, it takes about 20 seconds to op...

Performance problem in Vista Windows explorer if /SWAPRUN:NET is set on an executable.
I have rather big executables (about 25-35 MB). Because I want my users to easily execute my application, I don't want them to install a bunch of DLL's, just xcopy-install is OK for me (and my customers). Because my software is often run from a network drive, and my customers' networks are not always reliable, I link my executables using the /SWAPRUN:NET option. This guarantees that the whole EXE is loaded in memory before the application starts, and prevents crashes if the network connection is dropped while my application is running. This worked fine so far, BUT ... under...

CRM 3.0 Install Problems
We're trying to upgrade a dev instance of CRM 1.2 to 3.0. It gets partway through the installation before it fails, giving this error message: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. Execution of a full-text operation failed. The parameter is incorrect. Looking at the log, it looks like this is where it fails: 15:00:38| Info| Disable full-text indexing 15:00:44| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Execution of a full-text operation failed....

Linking Time-varying charts
Hi all, Here's my problem. I've got a set of Excel files with monthly data which is updated every month. So in January I only have Jan data. In February I have Jan and Feb data, and so on. The chart I have for this data always displays a full 18 months data from October 2003 to March 2005, and as more data is added, the line on the chart snakes its way from left to right. These files are submitted to me from various sources. As a central data collector, I now want to link these Excel files into a single Excel file which will display all the charts in one place for convenience. Ho...

Date Problems
Dear Microsoft: Since we all know that the cost of a 1st class stamp is going to go up, I thought I would plot the cost over time. http://www.nonprofitmailers.org/tools/ratehist.htm 1. I formatted a column as DATE, but the 3 dates prior to 1900 that I entered as x-x-xxxx were not recognized by Excel as dates. (??!!???!). When I reentered them as x/x/xxxx Excel recogized July 1, 1885, but not the other 2. (Huh?) 2. So then I charted the dates and the costs as a line chart, the costs are displayed ok. The dates are displayed on the x-axis, but the dates are equidistant. That's...

big problem *(no save ...
.... i don't know where else to tern. my vista wun't save files when i delete a file then restart it cums bck. been a it ovah 2 months.hlp pls. -- sid .... i don't fuckin' care -- sid ...

Problems with Excel and User Capabilities
When I try to set up user accounts with access to only certain programs I run into a problem. We have installed MS Office v.X and I allow the applications Word, Powerpoint, and Excel to run. Word and Powerpoint run fine, but I get an error when starting Excel. When I start Excel up a window pops up saying "A unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Mircosoft Framework X library." I can hit OK and it returns to the program where everything seems to function normally. Has anyone else encountered this or have any advice? In article <#YTu5dWcDHA.2416@TK2MSFTNGP10....

Outlook 2002 shutdown problems
I am running Microsoft Outlook 2002 with sp2 and I noticed that at times as many as 10 copies of Outlook are running simultaneously. To show this I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and look under the Processes tab in the Task Manager. I also have trouble receiving email from my ISP. It resonds many times with the server disconnected. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Outlook Express Spell Check problems
I have installed the following configuration WINDOWS XP home ed Outlook Express Office 9 Spell check in outlook returns with: Error has occured .. What's wrong?? ...

90% line across line chart
I have a changing set of data that is 3 columns and 104 row. These are represented on a Line Chart. I have a formula to calculate the 90th percentile for each of these. How do I automatically put a horizontal line on the chart for each of the three measurement at the corresponding 90th percentile. Thanks, Brad On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Brad K. <BradK@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I have a changing set of data that is 3 columns and 104 row. These are >represented on a Line Chart. I have a formula to calculate the 90th >percentile for e...

Charting Utility Usage
I've collected utility usage (kilowatt, tons, etc) on a monthly basis for the past couple of years. Normally, I've only had to chart usage for a 12-month period. Now I need to compare data on a monthly basis covering the past 3- years (i.e. Jan data for 2004, 2005, 2006) and put it in a chart. I'd like for it to look like this... U # # S # # A # # G E 2004-2005-2006 2004-2005-2006 2004-2005- 2...

Problems with Money 2005 file in two different computers
I upgraded to Money 2005 from 2004 (have been doing this since Money 97 without a problem), installed Money 2005 on my notebook, updated it to be compatible with the one on my desktop... BUT now when I try to open my money file on the notebook I get this message: "The place you are trying to reach only functions in the Business version of Money, and can't be used in the version you are using now. If you want to use this place you will have to upgrade to Microsoft Money Small Business." What place???? I don't want to go any place!!! All I want to do is use my money file (it ...

Problems with hyperlinks in outlook and vista
My hyperlinks in my emails were working fine until yesterday when I decided to give Google Chrome a try. I didn't like it so I went through the correct process of deleting it. After deleting it, when I try to click on a hyperlink to go to a website or even within other Office programs and my Vista links to go online, I get an error message that says "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your administrator." Well, I am the administrator on this computer. I did a restore and it still did not fix it. Someone please ...

Problems when person reply to my emails
When persons reply to my emails they are not delivered. The persons get an undelivery message Wayne What type of e-mail account is it? If it's pop3 then in Outlook make sure that in the account settings the e-mail address supplied there is correct. The e-mail supplied in that box could be anything, as long as it's valid, and this is the address the person will see and also reply to. If there is a spelling mistake in that then it won't be delivered Hope that makes some sense. Let us know how you get on Regards Ash. Hi - not enough info to go on. What kind of mail account? What...

exchange server 2003 instalation problem(setup stop at config for registry of Miscellaneous Atom).
Hello: I've tried to install exchange server 2003 on my computer(operating system is that windows 2003 evaluation verson, installing on NTFS file system, other disks is FAT32.), but when it config for registry of Miscellaneous Atom, it stop there waiting, and do nothing again. How can I resolve this problem? The following is the log file' content for exchange server 2003 evaluation verson: ....... [02:26:28] Configuring registry entries for Services Atom [02:26:28] Entering CRegistryManager::ScProcessFile [02:26:28] ++++ Starting interpreter on file d:\exchange 2003\e3eevaeng\setup...

Problems getting access to my emails
I am having trouble getting into my eamils, when I go to open or delete an email a meesage bar appears telling me that for my protection you sometimes ask to sign in again, when I click the link a message appears saying that the webpage you are trying to view is trying to close the window, wether I click yes or no nothing happens and I am still unable to access my emails. You need to ask your question at www.windowslivehelp.com . The group is for Windows Live Mail questions. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "Michael Smith" <Michael Smith@discussions.micros...

Very strange problem with delayed delivery
This is very strange. I'm not sure exactly when this started but, I don't get emails at my computer unless I click on the Outlook Today icon - that's if someone has sent me an email. So in other words, if I want to know if I have email, I click on Outlook Today. I setup a PC next to mine and I get the email notification sound immediately on that machine, when I have an email come in. I set the Exchanger Server properties the same on both boxes. My PC is running XP with Office 2k. All the latest updates SPs. The only difference with the box that functions correctly is it's W...

Cost basis problem
I am having a weird problem in Money. In my portfolio view, there is one mutual fund that shows a 0 cost basis if I display the data by investment type, but shows the correct cost basis if I display by account name. What's the story there? Any idea how I might fix this fun little problem? ...

Excel hyperlink folder problem
I have Excel 2002 and I am having a hyperlinking problem. I have set up Excel so that when I click on the "client name" in a cell, the hyperlink opens the folder that contains all of the documents associated with that client. The folders for the individual clients are located several folders down on our business server. When I created the hyperlink and tested it originally, I found the correct folder in Explorer and cut and pasted it into the Excel Hyperlink tool. I then tested it and found out that it worked correctly. When I came back the next day and began to try to use the f...

Mailing list digest problem with Outlook 2003
With Outlook XP, mailing list daily digests that came into my mailbox were a long text mail containing all the messages posted to the list for that day. After upgrading from Outlook XP to Outlook 2003, instead of getting a long text message containing all the separate postings to the mailing list, each posting is an attachment to the message and has to be opened separately, which is most inconvenient. How can I change the behaviour back to the way it was previously? I''ve poked around in the various options and can't find anything relevant. It's definitely Outlook 2003 causing...