joining data points on graph

I am merging two graphs and one has 23 data points, the other has 9. The
category axis will have 23 data points but the 9 points are spread out, i.e.
they may be at points 1, 3, 7, 15 etc of the 23-point scale. At the moment
the graph will only join points that are beside each other; how do I get them
to connect to the points that have spaces between them?

0
minihana (1)

minihana wrote  on Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:29:04 -0800:

 m> I am merging two graphs and one has 23 data points, the
 m> other has 9. The category axis will have 23 data points but
 m> the 9 points are spread out, i.e. they may be at points 1,
 m> 3, 7, 15 etc of the 23-point scale. At the moment the graph
 m> will only join points that are beside each other; how do I
 m> get them to connect to the points that have spaces between
 m> them?

Forgive me if I have misread your intention but if you place the
second set immediately following the first and then sort on the
x-xalues, won't you get what you want?

 James Silverton.

In other words, you have blank cells in the data? By default Excel ignores
these blanks, leaving a gap in the chart. You can tell Excel to draw a line
across the gap. Select the chart, go to Options on the Tools menu, and on
the Chart tab, where it asks how you want to deal with blank cells, choose
Interpolate.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"minihana" <minihana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am merging two graphs and one has 23 data points, the other has 9. The
> category axis will have 23 data points but the 9 points are spread out,
> i.e.
> they may be at points 1, 3, 7, 15 etc of the 23-point scale. At the moment
> the graph will only join points that are beside each other; how do I get
> them
> to connect to the points that have spaces between them?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Why does linked data from blank cells become a zero?
When linking data within the same workbook (to different tabs) any cell that is empty - shows up in the new tab as a ZERO (0).....what am I doing wrong? I want those cells to remain blank. That's just the way it is .. Instead of : =Sheet2!A1 you could use an error trap: =IF(Sheet2!A1="","",Sheet2!A1) Alternatively, we could suppress the display of extraneous zeros in the entire sheet via: Click Tools > Options > View tab > Uncheck "Zero values" > OK -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot&g...

In 3 active sheets in wkbk, determine& display the # of sheets that have data
I am wking with potentially 3 active sheets in a wkbk i.e. anyone of them or all could have data or text entered in them at any time. This is an ever changing scenario as data is entered or deleted i.e. a sheet is filled and the next sheet receives the new data etc. Since I am able or only want to see one sheet at a time, it is necessary to see on the displayed sheet how many of the 3 sheets have data on them at anyone time and to display that # of sheets numerically on all 3 sheets as I move thru them. I guess most simply stated I would like to know when I am in sheet #1 whether 1sheet is...

From switchboard
On my switchboard I have three choices. Enter in Data, Edit current record, Run report. The Edit Currrent Record pulls up a previously entered record via query parameter. My question is do I need to make a copy of my Data Entry (new record) form for this Edit? The macro or command or whatever asks which form to pull up when setting switchboard. Does it pose a problem if either choice pulls up the same form? You can use the same form. Typically, there're different considerations depending on whether your making a new entry (record) into your database or editing an existing entry, so you m...

standard deviation graph
I have values that are produced every 3 minutes. I have calculated the standard deviation of those values for each hour for a 7 month span. That is 5115 records. How do I make a bell shaped curve with these values? keano - I suggest you start by creating a histogram (column chart of a frequency distribution). The Histogram tool of the Analysis ToolPak (an Excel-provided add-in) automates the procedure, or you could use my Better Histogram tool available from the Histogram page at www.treeplan.com. The chart of the frequency distribution may or may not have a bell shape. - Mike M...

quick change of data
I have a large number of parameters I want to plot on the same plot to look for trends. However, I can't see with so much data on one plot. Is there a way to quickly switch what data to display on a plot? i.e. if I have 30 columns of data in a plot, can I easily choose to not display 15 of them (and then toggle back to displaying them)? Hi, If you hide the columns the information will not be plotted. Make sure the setting Plot visible cells only is on. Select chart and use menu Tools > Options > Chart > Plot visible cells only. If your data was laid out in rows then yo...

Data displayed in the Hotmail Sent folder "To" field suddenly wrong
Hi, Outlook 2002 SP2 on W2K with all updates. I have a Hotmail account in Outlook that has worked just fine for a long time. Messages I send through Hotmail have always appeared in the Hotmail Sent folder correctly. Yesterday the data displayed in the Hotmail Sent folder "To" field got loused up. Instead of seeing the name of the intended recipient, the person to whom the message was sent, it now displays the name of the sender (me). There is one exception (one out of seven messages at the moment is actually displaying the correct recipient), but I have no idea what caused the exce...

Adding a new line to an existing graph, using excel 2007
Hi: I would like instructions on how to add a new line to an existing graph (that already has 5 lines), using Excel 2007. The data is already in my spreadsheet. -- jim white EXCEL 2007 1. Right click in the graph. 2. Of the options that become displayed select:- Select Data . . . 3. Select Data Source window should launch. 4. Highlight the extended range of data you want to include in your graph (including the new data). 5. Hit OK. 6. The 6th line should get added to your graph. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "...

Data Entry Verification
I need to verify that certain data that is entered in a specific window meets a predetermined criteria. I would like a error message to pop up if the user enters an item that is on a particular price sheet. Can this be done through a simple macro or do I need to do this with VBA/Modifier? Thanks for the help. -pk You can do this with VBA. Add the window and fields required to do the validation to your VBA Project. Then, on the Before User Changed event for the field you wish to validate insert your validation code. If the validation fails set CancelLogic = True and display a message b...

Import Data from Microsoft Word
Hi Everyone, I am supposed to write a piece of code to read data from a MS Word document file (Importer). The text in the word document is tagged with styles (The dropdown to the left of font name). What I need to do is read the text along with its style so that I can tell what to do with the text. Has anyone done anything like this before? The only thing that I have found is office automation. But there is so much info that I haven't even scratched the surface. AliR. Lots of luck. You need the NDA document on the Word internal format (which I once got from Microsoft, but I don&#...

Fixing Cart Data Range
I have chart data that is in columns. To add new data I insert a row a the top of the data range. When I do so, the chart data range does no pick up the new row, it actually moves down with the original top row. I have to manually move the data range up to include the new row. Ho can I I make the chart data range fixed so it automatically picks u the new top row and dorps the old bottom row. Thanks for your help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi one way: define a name (goto 'Insert - Name - Define Name'). e.g. the name: chart_range: =INDIREKT("A1:A10") t...

Wonky Area Graph Problem
For a project I'm working on I have an area graph that has two series (actual data and projected data). As the x-axis has weekly data i'd like the point of the "actual data" to flow right into the "forecasted data". This works but for some bizarre reason the vertical line that separates these two areas is not purely vertical but slants backward to the left. Probably best to show a picture of this. I've posted it here: http://ken.net/images/WonkyAreaGraph.jpg Any help would be appreciated. Your data is like actual projected 1-jan-07 1...

Data Flipping
Hi there, How do you flip a set of data in MS Excel? For example, (1, 4, 10) to (10, 4, 1). Thanks in advance. Regards, Sentot S. Well, there are plenty of ways. Is your data in one column? one row? an array of columns and rows? Given the example, you could just sort it.... Give us more info and we'll be able to help. ...

data-> validation-> list
Hi! I'd very much appreciate any hint for the following issue: Let's say In cell A1 I can choose between 'boy' and 'girl'. Names available for boys are: Jon, Tom and Ben while for girls: Claudia, Pamela and Sarah. In cell B2 I'd like to create choice list (by data -> validation -> list) with reference to value in cell A1. I don't know how to narrow the choice in drop-down menu in cell B2 with reference to value of cell A1. Thx in advance for any help! lucas Lucas, There is an example at http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html on how to do ...

Display report / summary based on data in two worksheets
Hi, I've uploaded the excel sheet at this location http://rapidshare.com/files/339230049/Test_SAMPLE.xls.html The first sheet has the list of features in column B. I2:W2 contain the Block# This is used to depict which features are being covered in which block. For eg. I5 and I6 show that Feature 1 and 2 are being covered in Block 1 In the second Sheet, Project Timeline, T8:T:19 show the iterations. each iteration can have one or more blocks within it. Based on the blocks selected for each iteration, the dates are calculated in column R "Bug Fix". I need ...

outlook data file problems
My 60 day office 2003 expired and instead of converting I installed office 2002. My problem is that I cannot read and email data messages from the 2003 version and was wondering if its possible to convert the file to 2002 format(ansii vs unicode) Yes, but only in Outlook 2003. And you do not "convert" the file. You create a new PST file in the old format and copy the contents of your Outlook 2003 PST into it. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Steve" <steveandsheila@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:26e0001c4623b$507146d0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > My 60 day office 200...

Can you combine data from 2 worksheets into 1 chart?
My son is working on a science project. He had to track the temperature and precipitation levels in Daytona Beach for 9 years. I put the data in 2 worksheets, one for temperature and one for precipitation. He now has to make charts for the data. We've done the 2 separate charts but now we need to make 1 chart showing all the data. Is there a way to take the data from the 2 separate worksheets and put it into 1 chart? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom So...

cboselection box-can I use it to enter data?
I have a form to make modificatins on data based on a number and that part works well, however we need to be able to also enter data using this form whick means typing in the number on a new record instead of just choosing it from the drop down. this is an unbound record, with the Row Source being a query. Limit to list is No, Allow value List edits is Yes, locked is No. Any help will be appreciated. Not 100% sure what exactly you want to do, but yes, you can enter data with a combo. Use the combo box wizard to set up what you want. With it, you can find records or look up...

Import data to a custom entity
Hi, Can anyone assist me on how to import data to a custom entity, as I know the DMF can not be used for this. I do know that I could possibly facilitate this via the SDK, but I have very limited experience with it, and I am not a developer. If anyone have an example of what to do, or will be so kind to give me an indication or steps / procedures on how to do this, I will really appreaciate it. Regards Scribe will let you import data into a custom entity. If you are importing Contacts or Leads, you may be able to use the built-in Import functionality in CRM.. "YolandeDP-SA...

Finding data for a chart in word
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3325082853_2433946 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit After inserting a chart in a word document I cannot seem to get back to the excel worksheet update data on the chart. Advice please. Thank you. Joe --B_3325082853_2433946 Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Finding data for a chart in word<...

Data Transfer
How do I transfer data from Palm Pilot to Outlook 2007? You can try Palm's Hot Sync Manager, but you would have to contact Palm to get support on how to set that up. "pverneh" wrote: > How do I transfer data from Palm Pilot to Outlook 2007? ...

Need to consolidate large quantities of data and vlookup errors out
I've got a large table with horse racing odds that go fron .10-1 t 150-1 in .10 increments with values assigned to those odds, so it look like this: A1 B1 .10-1 4 .20-1 4 .30-1 3 etc. all the way up to 150-1. I tried making a table out of this with 2 columns and my hands wen numb after inputting about 200 odds entries :) I tested it out wit the part I did manage to complete with the vlookup formula and it gav me some wierd errors for results (maybe because of so many entries) For example, using the first example above, the user would input .10- and it would spit out 3 rath...

Obtaining series of data that adds up to a particular large figure
I have a large figure and series of other small figures on differen rows. How do I get the different sets of small figures that exactly or almos add up to the large figure:confused ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com You can try to use solver under tools>solver (if it is not there select it from under tools>add-ins and keep the office/excel cd handy and follow instructions) Put the series of small figures in a range, select that range and click in the n...

Floating Graphs
Is it possible in Excel, to have a chart "floating" on a sheet, ie. as I scroll across or up and down the data on the sheet, to have the chart remain in the same place on the screen. Thanks, Rob "OM" wrote in message news:45013ea8$0$11971$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au > Is it possible in Excel, to have a chart "floating" on a sheet, ie. as I > scroll across or up and down the data on the sheet, to have the chart remain > in the same place on the screen. See this thread. "Floating Command button" http://groups.google.com/group/microsof...

How to print a blank form for data-entry purpose?
I want to print a blank form for data entry purpose. If the form is totally blank, nothing prints out (except for label on top of form). To solve this problem I input a simple character in one field, which is not a wise solution. Is there a better way to print blank form? And more, in numerical fields, a zero appears. I want this zero not to appear in print. How can do this? Rasoul Khoshravan wrote: > I want to print a blank form for data entry purpose. If the form is > totally blank, nothing prints out (except for label on top of form). > To solve this problem I input a simple cha...

Data Reporting to a cell
Hi, I am looking for some help with a formula or code. This is what I am trying to do. I input a date into cell A1 and then I input D/S into cell A2, what I need is the table of names to be put into cells A2 to A10, my table is set up as: A11 B11 C11 D11 and so on to L11 Date D/S Name Name Date N/S Name Name Can you give me any ideas? Many thanks Mark ...