inverting the y axis

Is there any way that I can plot a line chart of accidents per month,
with the y axis going from 20 UP to zero, instead of the normal zero to
20 ?

thanks in advance,

Bob

--
bob777
bob777's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28504

Hi,

Rightclick on the y axis --> "Format Axis" --> select "Scale" Tab and check
"Values in reverse order" --> "OK"

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran

"bob777" wrote:

> Is there any way that I can plot a line chart of accidents per month,
> with the y axis going from 20 UP to zero, instead of the normal zero to
> 20 ?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Bob
>

> --
> bob777
> bob777's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28504
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=508937

To keep the X axis at the bottom, also check the Category Axis Crosses At
Maximum checkbox.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"B. R.Ramachandran" <BRRamachandran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:DF78CACA-309B-4178-B94C-D9D90A88F1F0@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> Rightclick on the y axis --> "Format Axis" --> select "Scale" Tab and
> check
> "Values in reverse order" --> "OK"
>
> Regards,
> B. R. Ramachandran
>
> "bob777" wrote:
>

>> Is there any way that I can plot a line chart of accidents per month,
>> with the y axis going from 20 UP to zero, instead of the normal zero to
>> 20 ?
>>
>> thanks in advance,
>>
>> Bob
>>

>> --
>> bob777
>> bob777's Profile:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28504
>> View this thread:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=508937

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

I am missing text in my y-axis title for my scatter plot
What ever my title about 20% of the text is cut off. Regardless if its a 4 letter word or 20 letters long. Changing font or alignment has no effect. The problem is only a display problem on my computer, if i send the excel file to another user they will see the full title. There is no problem with the x-axis. I have fully re-installed office and the problem remains. This is a know bug. A possible workaround is: 1) add some dots to the end of the title as in Sales..... 2) Select the dots ad format them with a font colour that matches the background so as to make them invisible In this way...

Locking the scale ratio of X-Y axis in XY scatter charts
When presenting results via scatter charts it is often preferred to keep the scales identical on both axis (i.e. a unit on each axis is equal to the same number of pixels on screen). Is it possible to do that in Excel? DK, Since the resolutions of PCs and printers vary, it would probably be more advantageous to create a proportional relationship between the X and Y scales for the two charts. For example, a single unit on the X axis of chart 1 might be equal to 2 units on the X axis on chart 2. 3 units on the Y axis of chart 1 might equal 6 units on the Y axis of chart 2. You can ea...

y-axis auto scaling...
every chart i create has a y-axis starting at 0, even if my data is something like 100,101,105,99 (all close to ~100). ideally, the chart's y-axis ~should be something like 90 - 110, or something like that. is that just how excel (2007) works?? i know i can manully change max and min values, but it would be great if excel "tried" a little harder to get in the range!! -- dh13134 Previous versions of Excel used zero for the axis minimum if the minimum of the data was < about 5/6 of the maximum. As far as I know, Excel 2007 works about the same. This is built into Excel, ...

how to increase area of Y axis title, so full text will be shown?
in X-Y scatter chart i am having problem of text fitting the title box of Y axis title. Neither I can increase it manually, not through clicking menus. Any option to do so is absent. Is there any way i can increse text box? thank you! Give chart a dummy tile when you make the chart. Type the real title into a cell using ALT+ENTER to use multiple lines Click chart title and in formula box type =, point to the cell with the long title done best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "dancho79" <dancho79@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

IF for inverting true/false
hello all !! i have this.... =OR(AND(T65-U65>=Q55*N11;L10=TRUE);(U55*Q56<=T55)) but for some formal reason i need it to give false when it's true and vice versa.. with this... if i am not wrong... =IF(OR(AND(T65-U65>=Q55*N11;L10=TRUE);(U55*Q56<=T55));FALSE;TRUE) am i right ?? tx !! paolo Just use the NOT function on your original expression... =NOT(OR(AND(T65-U65>=Q55*N11;L10=TRUE);(U55*Q56<=T55))) -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "pls123" <pls123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E13B7A5-A512-4A55-A3EA-AA25515A77C8@mi...

Bold Type Inverted
One of my word documents opened with bolding inverted -- that is, type that is supposed to be bold no longer is, while type that was not bold has become bold. Anybody have any ideas? See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styles/FormatOfTextChanges.html -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "koala824 at Comcast" <koala824@comcast.net> wrote in message news:OO3WSjAtKHA.4860@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > One of my word documents opened with bolding inverted -- that is, type > that is suppo...

category Axis #4
I am building an Column-Line on 2 Axes chart via Automation from Access. It is basically working, but for some reason, I can't get it to set the Category (x) axis labels now. I am now getting a 1004 "unable to set the CategoryNames property of the Axis class" error message. I am setting it with: Set oXLCAx = oXLC.Axes(xlCategory, xlPrimary) With oXLCAx .CategoryNames = xlWS.Range(oXAxis.RangeAddress) <...snip...> end with Current, my oXAxis.RangeAddress object is holding the following value: "[Sheet1]DatarptCorpIncidentsBarsAndLine!$B$2:$B$14, [Sheet1]DatarptCor...

How do I change where category x axis crosses the 2nd y axis?
I'm trying to get the x axis to cross the y axis at zero for both the primary and secondary y axis. However, since both sets of data points has negative figures the x axis crosses the secondary y axis at a negative number. What am I doing wrong? On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, epu <epu@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I'm trying to get the x axis to cross the y axis at zero for both the primary >and secondary y axis. However, since both sets of data points has negative >figures the x axis crosses the secondary y axis at a negative number...

Align Y axis labels
Is there a procedure for aligning Y axis labels, specifically to the left? As of now, all labels are aligned to the right (next to the chart). Thanks in advance. Hi, To have full control over alignment you need to use textboxes instead. I have some code to help with this. http://www.andypope.info/vba/Axislabel_textboxes.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "cobra15" <cobra15@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8DA74A73-2C44-4F4A-A8C3-B26FCAD313AC@microsoft.com... > Is there a procedure for alignin...

Changing the Y axis on a column chart
I have a column chart that records the amount of hours/minutes (y axis) people have been late for each week (x axis). On the y axis I want to change it so that the intervals are at 5 minutes intervals, e.g. 5 minutes late, 10 minutes late, 15 minutes late etc. I've looked at the scale options that Excel has set and I can't work out how or if I can change the scale to what I want. The Y axis is a continuously variable axis. You can set the scale with a min of 0 and a major unit (tick spacing) of 5. If you want points to only occur at the five minute intervals (instead of where ...

Combination chart: primary data labels obscure line series on secondary axis
I have a combination chart; a stacked column chart on the Primary Axis and a line chart on the Secondary Axis. I use the stacked column chart to display "bands" which I then overlay with the second data series. So far so good, the line segments and markers draw "on top of" the bands. But when I turn on data labels for the stacked column chart (to identify the bands), they display in *front* of the line series?! The column itself, remains behind, but the text of the data label is drawing on top of the series. Is there a way to force the labels *behind* the series on the se...

multple y to one x
Is it possible to connect multiple y values to the same x value in a plotchart without making a column of the same x-value? ...

Hiding Values Below Z Axis Minimum Value on Axis Charts
I want to use an area chart to show values for data series above a certain minimum Z axis value. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to hide parts of series that have values below this minimum. The chart shows a continuation of the series as though the values were AT the minimum. I've also tried to manually clear cells in the table that have values less than the mimum but that hasn't worked. Any suggestions? XL's ability to draw 3D charts is very limited. You have hit one of the limitations. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-i...

Axis points
I am trying to create a chart for one months data using the dates along the horisontal axis - as soon as i get to 20 dates i cannot increase the axis. Is there any way to do this? cant find anything in the set ups that says you are restricted to 20 points Click on the chart area You should see coloured lines ("range finders") around the data being used for the plot Drag these down to include all your data OR Just remake the chart best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "slugweeny1" <slugweeny1@disc...

Charts have X axis at the top?
I just tried to create a couple of charts and every one places the X Axis at the top when showing expenses. That is the numbers display in the lower right quadrant. The worksheet displays expenses as a negative value and this is what I want... numbers in parens. Is there a way to show my expenses in the upper right quadrant without affecting the display of these figures? Thanks, Richard Richard, Negative values go downward from the X axis. If there are no positive numbers, then the X axis will be at the top. If you want the Y axis to get more negative as it goes upward, you can do th...

Axis Formatting Problem
Hi Can anyone help with an issue I have with Excel and creating charts. Its only started happening since I installed 2007. I have a separate sheet for the data, in columns with months going left to right, one row is a target figure which never changes, and the row below is the actual figure which varies greatly (net profit for example). I'm trying to display it as a line graph but when I insert chart, the axis range is - 0 to 80,000 but my chart figures are as an example, target £39,000 actual £30,000 (this figure varies). In addition to this anomoly when you look at t...

Axis title
I need to make titles to axis in a chart. Help tells med to use Chart Tools, but this in not an option on my tool bar. Hi, I guess the reference to Chart tools is for those with xl2007. If you have xl2003 or older you can do the following. Select the chart and Right click. From the popup menu chose Chart Options... On the Titles tab you can enter your text for the appropriate part of the chart. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Marianne" <Marianne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E183E39-AFEA-42FF-B7D9-C33795A4BC...

Double column with 2 different axis
I have a problem on creating a stack up chart : __A__ __B__ __C__ __D__ 01/02/04 12 100 32 150 02/02/04 32 120 56 170 On the X axis is the Date. A and B is belong to 1 group, therfore i need them to stack up wherelse C and D form another one.These 2 stack up bar group are under x axis "01/02/04" This not only need to built a double column chart but also with 2 Y axis (A and C) (B and D) No 1 Y axis is between 10-60 No 2 Y axis is between 90-180 Thanks~! Hi Eric you can show two or more sets of stacked columns side by side (se...

Trouble when creating secondary axis
I am trying to create a column chart with two columns (with differen colors) for every date (dates are on the x-axis). Both series show u as desired (i.e two different color bars right next to each other fo each date) until I make one series set to the secondary axis. When I d this, the secondary axis values appear on the right, but the bars no merge into a single stacked-looking column. How can I make sure the columns for each data series stay independen when adding the secondary axis. Also, I noticed that when using any of the 3D columns chart types th axis tab is not available, does tha...

How to move Y-axis values when X range is -a to +b
In an XY Scatter chart, if X has negative and positive values, the Y-axis values are next to the Y-axis, which of course is drawn through X = 0. I would like the Y-axis values to always be on the left side of the chart. How can I make that happen? joeu2004 - For a "manual" solution: Select the X axis. Choose Format Axis | Scale | Value (Y) Axis Crosses At. For an "always" solution, I think you need VBA. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com <joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1107114732.390261.179840@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > In an XY Scatter c...

Chart with two axis
Hi, I have the following data: column A: jan feb mar apr column B: 3 8 5 9 column C: 26 40 45 38 I would like to get a chart where in the horizontal axis I have the monthes and I have 4 points, connected by lines. The first point will have the value 3 in correspondence of the left vertical axis and the value 26 in correspondences of the right vertical axis. .... The fourth point will have the value 9 in correspondence of the left vertical axis and the value 38 in correspondences of the right vertical axis. How can I can do it? Thanks P If I understand what you are asking you want a ch...

X,Y coordinates
Hello Is there any quick way to put the cursor in a place on a PowerPoint slide and find out what the X,Y coordinates are for that position? Thanks Keith In article <1356AA24-C666-4183-B64E-0B95B2F27DDB@microsoft.com>, Keith wrote: > Hello > Is there any quick way to put the cursor in a place on a PowerPoint slide > and find out what the X,Y coordinates are for that position? Not exactly, but there's a tool in our free PPTools StarterSet addin that'll get you there. Draw a rectangle, position the upper left corner at the point you want to measure ...

Line chart categoray axis labels issue
Hi, I have two problems (bugs perhaps) that I need o find a way to work around in Excel 2007. They both concern the category (x) axis (text) labels in line charts. I normally shy away from line charts entirely but, in the given instance I need to use them. First question: when you first create the line chart, and when you set the labels for the category axis, Excel automatically rotates the labels to get them to fit as well as possible. However, if you go in to the Format Axis> Alignment>Custom Angle box and enter a value, I can find no way of reenabling Excels automatic selectio...

Time scale axis should be available in PivotChart Report. #2
We should be able to time scale the X axis in PivotChart Reports. Pivot Charts are very usefull. I don't see any good reason to lose the time scale propety while doing a PivotChart Report. ...

data left and right of x axis
tryingt o make a bar chart with values 8,8,3,9,3 i need values under 5 to be left of vertical axis only and values over 5 to be right... so eight would be 3 places right three would be two places left hope that makes sense.. i have NO idea how to do this HELP!!!!! Right click on the other axis, choose Format... On the tab that allows you to enter scale parameters, find 'Axis Crosses At' or perhaps 'Category Axis Crosses At' (depending on version) and enter 5 in the box. This will position the crossing axis at 5. The bars will start at this vertical line and move left or...