insert excel charts as objects

Hi,

I insert excel charts into publisher using the insert object command.
It allows me to double click on the chart and modify it in excel even
though it has been pasted in publisher. I have two problems with this.
The first is that I am drastically shrinking the charts and when I try
to modify them in excel they often become distorted. The second problem
I have is that I would like to shrink the chart before inserting it into
publisher. Is there a way to do this while also shrinking the
background? Now I just end up with a small chart, but tons of blank
space around it that gets inserted as well. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Megan

--
mcarrington
mcarrington's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21641

I've struggled with the same issue myself.  I haven't been able to come up
with a good solution.  Sorry I can't give you anything helpful.  I see you've
been waiting for a response for awhile so I thought I'd let you know I've
tried to do the same. I hope someone else has a solution. - D

"mcarrington" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I insert excel charts into publisher using the insert object command.
> It allows me to double click on the chart and modify it in excel even
> though it has been pasted in publisher. I have two problems with this.
> The first is that I am drastically shrinking the charts and when I try
> to modify them in excel they often become distorted. The second problem
> I have is that I would like to shrink the chart before inserting it into
> publisher. Is there a way to do this while also shrinking the
> background? Now I just end up with a small chart, but tons of blank
> space around it that gets inserted as well. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Megan
>

> --
> mcarrington
> mcarrington's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21641
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498338

0
DDearborn (3)
1/5/2006 5:50:02 PM
Megan,
Do you really need the chart to be updateable? If not make the chart in
Excel and copy and paste as picture

If you do then make the chart in Excel and copy and paste as a linked
object. Then do the updating in Excel.

As you both found, opening an Excel worksheet in another application has
serious pitfalls.
best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"DDearborn" <DDearborn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've struggled with the same issue myself.  I haven't been able to come up
> with a good solution.  Sorry I can't give you anything helpful.  I see
> you've
> been waiting for a response for awhile so I thought I'd let you know I've
> tried to do the same. I hope someone else has a solution. - D
>
> "mcarrington" wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I insert excel charts into publisher using the insert object command.
>> It allows me to double click on the chart and modify it in excel even
>> though it has been pasted in publisher. I have two problems with this.
>> The first is that I am drastically shrinking the charts and when I try
>> to modify them in excel they often become distorted. The second problem
>> I have is that I would like to shrink the chart before inserting it into
>> publisher. Is there a way to do this while also shrinking the
>> background? Now I just end up with a small chart, but tons of blank
>> space around it that gets inserted as well. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Megan
>>

>> --
>> mcarrington
>> mcarrington's Profile:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21641
>> View this thread:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498338

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
1/5/2006 8:28:23 PM
The way to make the chart the right size in Excel, assuming you're inserting
a chart on its own sheet, is described by Stephanie Krieger:

  http://www.arouet.net/archives/2004/11/sizing_excel_ch.php
  http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/getworkdone/charts/exceltoword.mspx

Although Stephanie is sizing the chart to paste into Word, the process is
the same: determine the size you need, figure the margins around the chart
that center it within the page. Now when you copy and paste as an object,
the chart is already sized to fit.

You probably will get even more accurate results if you save and close the
workbook (with the chart as the active sheet), then insert it from the file.
At least with PowerPoint and Word, this is the best way to insert the chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
> Megan,
> Do you really need the chart to be updateable? If not make the chart in
> Excel and copy and paste as picture
>
> If you do then make the chart in Excel and copy and paste as a linked
> object. Then do the updating in Excel.
>
> As you both found, opening an Excel worksheet in another application has
> serious pitfalls.
> best wishes
>
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "DDearborn" <DDearborn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I've struggled with the same issue myself.  I haven't been able to come
>> up
>> with a good solution.  Sorry I can't give you anything helpful.  I see
>> you've
>> been waiting for a response for awhile so I thought I'd let you know I've
>> tried to do the same. I hope someone else has a solution. - D
>>
>> "mcarrington" wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I insert excel charts into publisher using the insert object command.
>>> It allows me to double click on the chart and modify it in excel even
>>> though it has been pasted in publisher. I have two problems with this.
>>> The first is that I am drastically shrinking the charts and when I try
>>> to modify them in excel they often become distorted. The second problem
>>> I have is that I would like to shrink the chart before inserting it into
>>> publisher. Is there a way to do this while also shrinking the
>>> background? Now I just end up with a small chart, but tons of blank
>>> space around it that gets inserted as well. Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Megan
>>>

>>> --
>>> mcarrington
>>> mcarrington's Profile:
>>> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21641
>>> View this thread:
>>> http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498338

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

How do I create a sample in Excel?

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

Excel and some disappeared sheets

Date display in Excel

Queries and Charts

Updating a chart Automatically

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

line chart with NA() values

Excel error 1706

Mail merge from excel
I am trying to merge a list of names from excel into publisher. When using the mail merge wizard it wont let me load the names all it says is f1 and f2. what am I doing wrong? any help is greatly appreciated. ...

Excel Jululian 04-24-10
Good morning please help i have a lists of names and i want to separate each in a colum like You Light Up My Life197711 You Light Up My Life (in one colum "A") 1977 (in one colum "B") 1 (in one colum "C") 1 (in one colum "E") regards First many thanks on your reply the text are different in length regards "מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote: > 'Data' > 'Text to Columns' > 'Next' > mark/un-mark the vertical separators as > shown in the picture > 'Finish' >...

Opening Excel email attachments
When downloading excel files AOL says cannot find suitable program.I then go online to find Excel but only get Uopdates. PC is XP version with Works Suite 2002. A fe months back my dear wife was downloading Excel an got board with waiting and shut down the PC! Any suggestions. Thanks Karl Hi there's no legal way to download Excel!! You have to buy< an Excel version and install it on your PC (or try to open the file with MS Works - but live with the restricted functionality) >-----Original Message----- >When downloading excel files AOL says cannot find >suitable progra...