Insert a line or shape in a table

Creating a chart from Excel, I copied and pasted it to my Word document. I
now need to put in some lines to create a graph, but when I insert the line,
the table expands and places the line within one segment. I want to extend
the line across the top of the whole table. I don't see where I can lock the
table so it won't change.
0
Parkrose (1)

Drawn lines have nothing to keep them in place. Use a real bit of data,
and the line will stay locked in place:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Parkrose wrote:

> Creating a chart from Excel, I copied and pasted it to my Word document. I
> now need to put in some lines to create a graph, but when I insert the line,
> the table expands and places the line within one segment. I want to extend
> the line across the top of the whole table. I don't see where I can lock the
> table so it won't change.

Visio thinks an invisible line is present during line routing, but can't select it otherwise
I spent hours making a big flow chart only to notice when I'd finished that Visio thinks that there is an invisible long line that extends vertically up about 3/4 of the chart. At least I think that's what Visio thinks. The line is invisible so it is somewhat hard to see. The only reason I know it's there is because all of the lines that cross it have that little cross over hump in them. How can I get rid of this invisible line? -- Richard Lewis Haggard It may be an invisible line or it may be an alignment bounding box that is way too big. If the drawing doesn't ha...

csv-file-lines back to excel rows and columns
Hello, My Excel-version is 2002. I am working with long lists of Attendees for courses and get them in csv-format, so all Data are in long rows with commas inbetween. But I need them in rows and columns, name under name, adress under adress and so on. Is there a Way to convert them from csv to rows and columns? Thank you rosalia You may want to post a sample (not the workbook) of how your data is laid out. And if the data is all in a long column (not row), then is each group delimited by anything (blank row)?? Or is it x rows per group? You'll get different suggestions based on the l...

can I automatically insert a page break after subtotals in Excel?
Trying to take a large sheet of data, subtotal and print separate sheet for each subtotaled group without manually inserting page break before printing. Using Excel 2002. thanks Hi Teri when you do your subtotals, check the box for inserting a page break between groups "Teri" wrote: > Trying to take a large sheet of data, subtotal and print separate sheet for > each subtotaled group without manually inserting page break before printing. > Using Excel 2002. thanks ...

Creating a registration table list based on an existing table
Hi, I have an access database that contains transactional tables which I cannot alter. There is a table called invoice. This has ClientId, ClientName and ItemNumber. The ClientID is a ten digit number while the ClientName is a business name. There are no extra fields that I can use in it. I want to create a form that will enable the staff to keep track of registration. A registration is initiated when an invoice on a client is created with the itemnumber being College. Right now, people are keeping track of attendees using a spreadsheet but I want to create a table that contain...

Technical reasons not to insert or update records in CRM SQL?
Hello, My boss is convinced that the best (read fastest) way for us to update values in CRM from an external application is to edit CRM SQL directly. I agree that this sounds tempting, but I feel it might come back to bite us. So, I have these questions: 1. Besides losing MS support, and upgrade/hotfix issues, what are some _technical_ reasons not to insert or update records in CRM SQL? What things could it break? 2. Besides using Data Migration Framework for a one-time import, assuming one understands the schema, what is the possible harm in just inserting records directly into C...

Opening Old Excel Files
Often when I open old excel files I get a horizontal "artifact type" line at the bottom of Row 1, about @ Col. B to G. I have seen this with all versions of excel - what is it and can I get rid of it in my old excel files. Thanks, webermis Does Window/Unfreeze Panes get rid of it? Jordon "webermis" wrote > Often when I open old excel files I get a horizontal "artifact type" line at > the bottom of Row 1, about @ Col. B to G. I have seen this with all versions > of excel - what is it and can I get rid of it in my old excel files. > > Thank...

XL2003: Shape-borders on scatter-series' look wavy
Dear group, this question is concerning Excel 2003 on Win XP. A client sent me a chart-example, where he inserted an ellipse as an excel-shape on a scatter-series to highlight a chart-labelling. The ellipse outside the chart is looking normal, but the one pasted on the data-series has a wavy border. Using my computer and pasting the same shape into the chart, the ellipse is looking correctly. If I give it back to my client, he can see also see the correctly looking shape in the chart. My client has Excel 2003 SP2, I have SP3. Any idea which effect might trigger this? Thanks in advance, H...

Insert blank page following page-sized shape?
I created a cover using a page-sized rectangular shape, so I could fill a color. Now I can't figure out how to add any pages below the cover page. If I insert a new page, it appears before my cover. I tried page breaks, section breaks. Any suggestions? Did you try starting with two white pages, then add your rectangle to the first? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "adolpet" <adolpet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA64EA71-7BFF-4373-9FD2-8570DF19ABB9@microsof...

Insert File Source Path in Workbook
In excel 2000 are you able to insert the files path on at the base of the workbook as say a footer? Not just the filename - the whole path eg: h:\mydocuments\excel\book1.xls Hi Carl, Not part of Excel 2000, though it was added in Excel 2002. For versions prior to Excel 2002 you need a macro. An example of a macro for Excel 2000 can be seen in http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/pathname.htm look for "Workbook_BeforePrint" within a box. === HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/ex...

setting caption for table
Hello there I have access ADP project. In the project I have forms bound to table and present it as datasheet view. Can I change the caption of the table which present? and not the name of the field? ...

Query from 3 tables
I have three tables that I want to put in query. But this is what I need: Articles Stores MinimumQTY ----------- ---------- --------------------- ArticleID StoreID ArticleID ArticleName StoreName StoreID ArticlePrice MinQTY OptimalQTY What I would like is to have a query that shows all recors from Articles, and for each article to show all Stores and for each StoreID to show records in MinimumQTY...

Smart list source tables
I'm using smartlist builder to create custom smartlists. It sure would be easier if I knew what tables teh "canned" smartlists used or could pull up a * canned smartlist and edit it as my own including adding additional tables to join. With soooo many tables in GP It is not a simple task to use the right one instead of the "close but no cigar" table. Any table indexing would help. Hi Vacations If you go on customer source you can downlaod some smartlists, that can be imported with smartlist builder. They are listed for version 8 of GP but they will work on 9 a...

Pivot table chart problem
Hello! Can somebody help me to solve one insignificant problem related to pivot table charts. I want to have grand totals displayed in the chart, which was created using a pivot table. I tried many different ways, but couldn't succeed. Is it impossible? If so, are there any other ways to display the totals in the chart. I really apreciate your help. Thank you in advance. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ I don't know of a way to include the grand total in a PivotChart. You can create a normal chart, based on the pivot table, and include the totals in that. On Jo...

Show Pages of Pivot Tables
Excel 2000 had an option called Show Pages for Pivot Tables which created a copy of the pivot table for each item in the Page category. Ths option is no longer available (or not appearantly available). Is anyone aware of how to replicate this option in excel 2003? On the PivotTable toolbar, select PivotTable> Show Pages Denis wrote: > Excel 2000 had an option called Show Pages for Pivot Tables which created a > copy of the pivot table for each item in the Page category. Ths option is no > longer available (or not appearantly available). Is anyone aware of how to > r...

Table relationships and lookups
Hi guys, I may be a little over my head, I've had some experience in creating simple access db's. however this one will be extremely complicated as far as I can tell. Some backround info - i've got an excel spreadsheet currently that i would like to convert to Access. The spreadsheet does multiple lookups and calucations. This is for a Soccer club that i run to maintain roster information, dollars, scheduling and stats. I'm currently working on the scheduling pience. Here's what I have so far. tables. Club - Lists the teams in the club, home field name and ...

tables design and forms for setting up scheduling/accompl of clean
I am trying to set up tables, and forms for easy use for Maintenance dept. for the cleaning of areas of the factory. There is a set required schedule for each location in the plant. some areas are daily some weekly, some twice a week, etc. When they click on the location( on the Map of the plant form) I would like it take them to what is scheduled for that location for that day - they would also need to check off what has been completed for that day. Not sure on how to set up tables and form. Some fields I need are locationid, job#, date, freq? , job desc. etc. I would also like the o...

Creating custom tables in Dex
Hi, Is there an easier way to create custom tables through Dex than creating datatypes, fields, and then the table? I have a table with close to 300 fields, and this seems quite tedious. Thanks in advance for any help. Tom You can re-use any of the datatypes and fields in the Dynamics dictionary, assuming that you are writing an integrating product. If writing a standalone product you will need to create all the datatypes and fields needed. You can also created on-the-fly while creating the table definition rather than creating them all beforehand. Hope this helps. David Musgrav...

two lines of text in a single row?
I would like to enter two lines of text in a single row (using ALT-ENT), but I don't want to merge cells. It's ok if the text spills across adjacent columns. And I don't want the text to wrap. Any ideas? thanks You will have to widen the column -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "SteveB" <SteveB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0202611E-4E65-4E6A-AC67-A6274C68B601@microsoft.com... > I would like to enter two lines of text in a single row (using ALT-ENT), but > I don't want to merge cells. It's ok if the text spill...

Help I like to convert a word doc into a pdf and insert it to Pub
I am trying to convert a word doc to a pdf and insert it into a Web site in Pub 2003. So our cusotmer could download it and print it. Thanks Mike You want to turn a .DOC into a .PDF so you can insert it into a Publisher-created website? I had to read that a couple of times to figure out what you were asking. (1) Publisher really has nothing to do with what you need to do. (2) You need a .PDF creating software program. I use Acrobat Pro but I'm fortunate in that it was purchased for my use. You either need Acrobat or you need one of the low-cost/free alternatives. -- JoAnn Paule...

Inserting a character
In a table I have a textfield containg data like B09-001, B09-002 etc. Now I am almost at B09-999, so I like to insert a "0" so that the data look like B09-0001, B09-0002, B09-0999 etc. How can I do that with a update-query? If you have a single field into which you have stuffed two (or more) facts (i.e., "B09" and apparently a sequence number), you have (re-)discovered why it is not good database design to stuff two (or more) facts into a single field! Before you proceed any further, consider creating two new fields in your database, one for each fact. Th...

Macro to delete first line of 200+ files
Ok... I know this is an easy one for this group and I would try and figure it out on my own but I'm crunched for time. I need a quick macro that will take all the files in my directory and delete the first line only. Every file has a dummy line at the top (as they were converted from XML and retained the /Data string). I need to strip them out so I can use another macro that a very awesome Bernie helped me create over the last couple of weeks. Any thoughts? I'm sure this is a no-brainer. thanks, - S Hi Bob Try this example that delete row 1 of the first sheet of the workbooks...

Best way to get order history with detail line status
Thanks to Victoria [MVP] for some good reading material on getting sales history in general. I need to extract the latest status for a given detail line for web orders from great plains. I think I can join from the SOP header (SOP10100 or SOP30200) to itself using the master number to get all related orders and then join to the detail lines, getting status, etc by picking the matching detail row with the latest dexterity time stamp. This is one of the selects I came up with unfortunately I am not seeing any backordered items on here. Can anyone tell me how to fix this or a better way to ge...

Line Spacing
I have a user that has a problem with line spacing that I cannot figure out. She has an Excel document that is emailed to her, and every so often, she has a line spacing that is about twice the size of the rest of the spacing in the document. I have tried to resize, but it doesn't save. Any ideas? Thanks. -- Manzy Hi, We really need more info, like the file when the problem is occuring. It could be that the is a macro in the file which is causing the problem. It could be that one cell on the row has word wrap applied automatically or manually. -- Cheers, Shane Devenshire ...

Integrating Comment Lines
Currently I am populating SOP Transaction Entry comment lines 1, 2 and 3 by padding the strings to 50 characters because using string1 & vbcrlf & string2 etc. did not work. How can I insert the strings into each line without padding? Is there some other way to create a hard return between each string to accomplish? What my previous post failed to state was that I was attempting to integrate using the SQL optimized adaptor, and not the standard adapter. Chr(13) works fine to insert a hard return using the standard adapter. Anyone know why the Chr(13) doesn't work for the S...

Evaluate String for Value from Table
I have a table [tbl_dc_dx] that contains a field for Primary Diagnosis but only a semi-colon delimited list of Secondary Diagnoses. The list is variable in length and the[sec_diag] codes are in no particular order. [tbl_dc_dx] sample data: Account sec_diag 1 5990;2851;6262;2809;6202 2 6262;2800;4019;2808;2469 3 2851;9100;9219;E8889;E8497 4 4111;2859;4019; 5 5855;42822;2724 6 25000;4019;4580;2801 A list of applicable diagnosis codes is available in a table called [tbl_dx_codes]. [tbl_dx_codes] sample data: diag_cd diag_desc 2800 280.0-CHR BLOOD LOSS ANEMIA 2801 280.1-IR...