Indexing Values to Same Starting Point for Relative Return Chart

Hello all,

I'm have a sheet full of data for various securities that is sorted b
date.  I can chart the values by date just fine, but I'm hoping t
create a chart where each series is indexed to the same point and the
the chart will show percentage changes.  For instance, if A is at 30
and B is at 40 on January 1st, then in my chart I want them both t
start at 100.  So if A falls to 150 and B moves up to 80, then I woul
want the chart to show them moving to 50 and 200, respectively.

Do I have to manipulate the data in another sheet first, or is there
way to do it with the charting tools?  I have another problem tha
would make manipulating the data hard, which I will post next

--
Notclev
Notclevr's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3059

> Do I have to manipulate the data in another sheet first?

Yes.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Notclevr" <Notclevr.21u78n_1137598802.034@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:Notclevr.21u78n_1137598802.034@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hello all,
>
> I'm have a sheet full of data for various securities that is sorted by
> date.  I can chart the values by date just fine, but I'm hoping to
> create a chart where each series is indexed to the same point and then
> the chart will show percentage changes.  For instance, if A is at 300
> and B is at 40 on January 1st, then in my chart I want them both to
> start at 100.  So if A falls to 150 and B moves up to 80, then I would
> want the chart to show them moving to 50 and 200, respectively.
>
> Do I have to manipulate the data in another sheet first, or is there a
> way to do it with the charting tools?  I have another problem that
> would make manipulating the data hard, which I will post next.
>

> --
> Notclevr
> Notclevr's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30597
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=502481

Multiple Business relations for One Quotation
Is there a way to "Link" quotations for one job to more than one business relation (i.e. One job with 3 differant bidders)? Similar to the "Alternative Quotations" but with the quotation name not the business relation. ...

Charts switch from 'Series in Rows' to 'Series in Columns'
I use VBA to create charts in Excel 2003, but find that sometimes the Charts switch 'Series in Rows' (intended) to 'Series in Columns' (not intended), even if I have specified 'Series in Rows'. This happens intermittently, and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I do save the workbook as Microsoft Excel 97 so that a user with Excel 2000 or Excel 2003 can use the workbook. Thank you for any suggestions. Hard to tell if you keep the code secret. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Peac...

How to Arrange Data for Chart
I charted the following data in a clustered column chart. Level 1 Level 2 Level 3 Level 4 FY07 - Total 167 23 20 43 81 FY08 - Total 178 22 40 26 90 These are total department errors segregated by levels for each fiscal year. There are 3 different departments involved. What I did was just total the errors for each FY and each level. Now my boss wants to see how many errors were performed within each level by Dept A, Dept B and Dept C and compare the 2 fiscal years. I hope I’m explaining...

How can I initialize the value?
template < class elemType > class MyArray { public: explicit MyArray( int size = DefaultArraySize ); MyArray( elemType *array, int array_size ); MyArray( const MyArray &rhs ); virtual ~MyArray() { delete [] ia; } bool operator==( const MyArray& ) const; bool operator!=( const MyArray& ) const; MyArray& operator=( const MyArray& ); int size() const { return _size; } virtual elemType& operator[](int index) { return ia[index]; } virtual void sort(); virtual elemType min() cons...

Conditional formating of Charts
Hi, I have a scatter chart and need to conditionally format points and associated labels for each point. The condition is not related to the data series to which the chart is linked. Let me know if there is any specific VBA code for doing the same. You can reach me at krishna.guha@citigroup.com There are some non-VBA suggestions here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html To change some points of a series or some series in a chart based on a known criterion, you can adapt one of the macros in this post: http://www.google.com/groups?selm=3F4B8D49.3080508%40yah...

Merging Charts
Is there a way that I can merge Excel information into Publisher as a graph specific to each entry. I am trying to take several peices of information specific to a variety of people and merge that information into a document, making make pie charts for some of that information for each person. ...

Returns Mgmt Do Not Require Invoice Item Number for RMA Types.
Do not require invoice item number (or at least make it clear it is required on the screen). We want to enable zero dollar invoices for even exchanges, but don't want to create a bunch of zero dollar invoices for nothing. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message...

Entering serial number on a return
When attempting to enter a particular serial number on a return we're getting a message that "the serial number has already been entered for the selected item". Per the KB articles on this message I've checked serial lot trace to confirm that the serial number is not included on any un-posted transaction. I've also confirmed in SOP10201 that it only appears once on an invoice that has been posted, and that it is not in IV00200 at all. Any ideas on what else could trigger this message? -- Jim@TurboChef If I read this right you said it appeared in the SOP10201 t...

Complex (for me) checking values in fields to perform calcs in others
Hi all.. I am creating a Cash Flow Projection report in access that inspects the "completed dates" of sheduled draws to calculate a remaining balance, but I am having problems with it. The idea is: --------------------- Iff [Draw1CompletedDate] = Null then Me!txtBalance = [MortgageAmount] Else If [Draw1CompletedDate] <> Null AND [Draw2CompletedDate] = Null then Me!txtBalance = [MortgageAmount] - [Draw1Amount] Else If [Draw1CompletedDate] <> Null AND [Draw2CompletedDate] <> Null AND [Draw3CompletedDate] = Null then Me!txtBalance = [MortgageAmount] - [Draw1Amoun...

graphs charts
Can I decide what the graph scale can be and be constant for all the graphs I want to make for excel data In article <09F59A13-D91B-4114-8155-815B0135155B@microsoft.com>, MICKO@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Can I decide what the graph scale can be and be constant for all the graphs I > want to make for excel data > Assuming the axis of interest supports numeric data, double click the axis then select the Scale tab. The rest should be self-evident. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office producti...

excel charts and graphs
I want to assemble several pages of excel charts and graph in the form of a poster without printing them out. THOR ...

Color transitions in a chart
Hi I am creating a chart to plot some values but would like to have the background of the chart to start red in the upper right, transition to yellow around the middle and then green in lower left. The values I have represent High, Medium and Low risk items and would like the chart to represent these with the background color when I plot them. Hope this makes sense. I appreciate if you have any suggestions. Thanks In article <089EA19B-10D5-4AA4-8B34-D57CA46C0007@microsoft.com>, Sboone wrote: > Hi I am creating a chart to plot some values but would like to have the ...

How to convert a Chinese registry value from within a US code page?
First of all, our Win32 MFC VC++ app is not written in Unicode as it should have been. Given that - it reads uninstall information from the windows Uninstall registry tree and writes it to a report. It writes out the displayname of the application. Normally this is not a problem, but when it encounters a Chinese application name, it displays the name as question marks. I assume this is because the string is in Unicode in the registry, but our app is not Unicode so it can't represent the characters. Unfortunately for the moment, converting this very large app to Unicode is not an o...

Default Value problem 02-22-08
Feel a bit silly. I want to insert a =Now() Date field on every new record created via a certain form. I don't want people seeing this info. So, I added AphaDate Date field to the table the query for this form is based on. I insert the field on the form and mark it hidden. In the properties for this field on the form, I say the default value =Now() I assume then that any new record created will "stamp" with this date. But it doesn't work When I create the table, add the field to the query and try to set this up, the field shows up as blank no matter what I do. Wha...

Doing a VLOOKUP (probably using the INDEX and MATCH function), with both vertical and horizontal values in play.
I am trying to create a function that will pull in data from a 2nd spreadsheet. Typically, I use the index and match function to do so. However, in this case, I am trying to do a lookup based on a value above (i.e., horizontal) and a value to the right (i.e., vertical) of the cell in which the formula will be placed. Additionally, the sheet from which I am pulling is similarly laid out. To Provide an example. Lookup Table Months (horizontal) Jan Feb Mar Apr Etc Names(vertical) Jeff Eric 5 Steve ...

No updating of Excel chart
Hi. Is there any way to prevent excel from updating charts? I'm having some problems with one chart when I try to unhide or delete some rows that ARE NOT inside the series data, but the chart allways keep wrongly changing the data rows. When i try to unhide the rows, the series expands to the number os rows that was unhided. When i try to delete the rows, the series all became #REF's. Repeating: the rows that i need to delete are CONTIGUOUS to the data series and ARE NOT inside the series. I've checked this thoroughly. If someone have any ideas, I would be immense...

Pivot Chart Filter
I have two Pivot charts that compare similar data and have them displayed side-by-side. When I change the filters in one chart, I want to apply the same filter for the other chart. Is there a way to have one Pivot Chart Filter Pane control two or more Pivot Charts without having to click each chart and change to filter for each one? ...

Finding Cells that Total a Value
Hello Friends, I need some assistance in solving a problem. I have a spreadsheet with over five hundred lines of transactions. The sum of these transactions are creating a balance on the account. Is there any formula/macro that will help me find the transactions creating the balance? The sum of the account should be zero. To clarify, if we owe client money, there would be a transaction setting up that postive balance then a payment on the account taking it back to zero. There could be multiple transactions and then one net payment. Or we could be due to receive. So at the end of the day, th...

Display of 3D bar charts...looking jagged??
Is there anyway to get around the way excel displays 3D bar charts.....they look the edges of the bars are not smooth they look like a child drew them with broken lines....I cut and paste these charts into Powerpoint and my boss presents these presentations to clients via email attachments and the clients get to see how rough the bars are.....any ideas? Thanks in advance...oh, and good working with you all! Do you make the charts in a new work sheet ? I never had that issue in xls, but when copying too small pics/charts into ppt, they will be distorted when resized. Using a new worksh...

Optimizer choice doesn't make sense, goes from index seek to table scan when adding a SARG
Running on SQL Server 2008 SP1. The following select (correctly) uses a non-clustered index on ACCT_TYP_CD returning just over 15000 rows in 41ms. It does a single scan and needs 37 logical reads to complete the query. select acct_cd from CS_FUND where ACCT_TYP_CD = 'G'; Change the query to be this: select acct_cd from CS_FUND where ACCT_TYP_CD = 'G' and GRP_TYPE_CD = 'BKR_RULES'; and the optimizer now chooses to do a clustered index scan, taking significantly longer, 971 ms, 8 scans and over 59,000 logical reads. It returns no rows. T...

Urgent
Win XP HE, XL 2002 SP3 Hi, I am doing a rush presentation and am stuck...! Under Tools|Options| Chart tab, the otion to "Plot empty cells as: Not plotted" is grayed out. Yet, that is precisely what I need to do. How can I fix that? I have other charts where the optin is available. What am I doing wrong? S I found out the following: I had an "area chart" which (by definition I guess) will build the area from "0". Changing it to a line chart, did the trick. S saturnin02 wrote: > Win XP HE, XL 2002 SP3 > Hi, > I am doing a rush presentation and am stuck...

stop chart series from updating
I have created a chart and now want to change the data it uses as the source, BUT I do not want my original chart to update as I want to create a different chart. Does anyone know to freeze the chart so it is no longer linked to the cells? One way would be to take a picture of the chart as it is now. Click the chart; hold Shift key down; use menu item Edit and select Copy Picture; use As displayed; then use Paste command to paste picture on worksheet or in a Word Doc, etc. Another way is to delink the chart. Click of a data series in the chart, look in Formula Bar and you see somethin...

how to write value
Dear Sir/Madam i want to write entire row value while typing value in general sheet. in the general sheet i have three column name, id, and location. and i have three other sheet London, Newyork, Seattle. while i am entering value in general sheet like name id and location, if the location cell value is same as in the other sheet name london or newyork or seatlle, it should write the value in specific sheet if London it should write the value in London sheet Ryan 1811 is it possible in excel help me thanks and regards vincent yes, select all of the relevant sheet...

combining duplicate row values?
Excel 2007 XP Pro SP3 I have several rows of data as: 1 gl 24 36 cw1 north 1st 1 g2 24 36 cw2 north 1st 1 gl 24 36 cw1 north 1st 1 g2 24 36 cw2 north 1st 1 gl 24 36 cw1 north 1st that I would like to combine (preferably into a separate worksheet) as: 3 gl 24 36 cw1 north 1st 2 g2 24 36 cw2 north 1st based on rows 1, 3, and 5 and rows 2 and 4 having duplicate data. Is there a way to do this? Dave DDP 1) Use the options in advanced filter to copy unique records to a location in the same worksheet. (Advanced filter does not copy to alternate sheet). 2) Move the records to the required sh...

How do I put a marker line on an excel chart (i.e. on y axis)?
How can I put a merker line on an exel line chart (a horizontal line from one value on the y axis to show when values exceed a certain level on y axis)? Hi, You can find details of adding datum lines here http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "ds8854" <ds8854@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15ED7013-A68A-4298-BAFF-1F766C0F3BE6@microsoft.com... > How can I put a merker line on an exel line chart (a horizontal line from > one > value on the y axis to show when val...