Indexing Values to Same Starting Point for Relative Return Chart

Hello all,

I'm have a sheet full of data for various securities that is sorted b
date.  I can chart the values by date just fine, but I'm hoping t
create a chart where each series is indexed to the same point and the
the chart will show percentage changes.  For instance, if A is at 30
and B is at 40 on January 1st, then in my chart I want them both t
start at 100.  So if A falls to 150 and B moves up to 80, then I woul
want the chart to show them moving to 50 and 200, respectively.

Do I have to manipulate the data in another sheet first, or is there
way to do it with the charting tools?  I have another problem tha
would make manipulating the data hard, which I will post next

--
Notclev
Notclevr's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3059

> Do I have to manipulate the data in another sheet first?

Yes.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Notclevr" <Notclevr.21u78n_1137598802.034@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:Notclevr.21u78n_1137598802.034@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hello all,
>
> I'm have a sheet full of data for various securities that is sorted by
> date.  I can chart the values by date just fine, but I'm hoping to
> create a chart where each series is indexed to the same point and then
> the chart will show percentage changes.  For instance, if A is at 300
> and B is at 40 on January 1st, then in my chart I want them both to
> start at 100.  So if A falls to 150 and B moves up to 80, then I would
> want the chart to show them moving to 50 and 200, respectively.
>
> Do I have to manipulate the data in another sheet first, or is there a
> way to do it with the charting tools?  I have another problem that
> would make manipulating the data hard, which I will post next.
>

> --
> Notclevr
> Notclevr's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30597
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=502481

Exception floating-point underflow
I am trying to use Money99 on my new system with Windows XP Home, Service pack 1. It loaded okay, but when I try to open Money, I get an error message "The exception Floating-point underflow occured..." apparently while trying to run the Tour. Am I naive in thinking that I can run Money 99 on an XP system? Is there some way of making it work? Searched through previous posts, but didn't find any information. Thanks. ...

clustered stack column charts #2
I am trying to create a chart with three stacks in two columns. I tried using the method described by Bernard Liengmen's but it doesn't allow me to add a secondary axis for the last (sixth) data series. I don't get it??? How does one series in a stacked cluster use the secondary axis? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Lou T wrote: > I am trying to create a chart with three stacks in two columns. I tried > using the method described by Bernard Liengmen's but it ...

Adding Lines And Boxes, etc. To A Chart ?
Hello, Will blame it on my age. Using Excel 2007 (or, at least trying to) and XP. When I have a chart page opened up, how do I get it to show the bar on the bottom (that the real old versions had) that allows one to click on one of its icons shown to "draw" lines, arrowed lines, boxes, add text with a box, etc on the chart itself ? Thanks, Bob Hi, With the chart selected you can use the Insert tab > Illustrations > Shapes. To add shapes to the chart. Textbox is in the Text group of the Insert tab. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypo...

Return back to GP 9 from GP 10
I just upgrade to gp 10 in one of the work stations and I get some troubles so I retrieved to Gp 9 and I get this message (You are using an earlier version of dynamics.dic than the one that’s currently installed on the network) What I have to do? can I make restore for database? ...

Linking Time-varying charts
Hi all, Here's my problem. I've got a set of Excel files with monthly data which is updated every month. So in January I only have Jan data. In February I have Jan and Feb data, and so on. The chart I have for this data always displays a full 18 months data from October 2003 to March 2005, and as more data is added, the line on the chart snakes its way from left to right. These files are submitted to me from various sources. As a central data collector, I now want to link these Excel files into a single Excel file which will display all the charts in one place for convenience. Ho...

Loyalty / Reward Points
Looking for a simple module/ add-on that would allow my business to allow our customer to collect reward points. I have looked at several but most don't meet our needs. 1) Points can be assigned to individual items or by department. 2) Any transaction item DISCOUNTED or ON SALE would not be awarded points. 3) HTML Status screen would display reward points, as well as, bottom of receipt. Like the concept of having reward points in a separate table but not essential - so that I don't run into problems when upgrading version of RMS. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Dan mrfixi...

Start up workbook
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Every time I click on my Excel icon in my dock, it opens a brand new workbook. I have checked in my Excel Startup folder, and the only thing that resides there is the pdf maker.xla. How can get a new workbook from automatically opening? You can't - at least not with any controls within Excel. That's designed to comply with Apple's guidelines for OS X. You may be able to have it close automatically with an Apple Script but IMHO that's overkill for what really isn't a problem that requires a ...

90% line across line chart
I have a changing set of data that is 3 columns and 104 row. These are represented on a Line Chart. I have a formula to calculate the 90th percentile for each of these. How do I automatically put a horizontal line on the chart for each of the three measurement at the corresponding 90th percentile. Thanks, Brad On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Brad K. <BradK@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I have a changing set of data that is 3 columns and 104 row. These are >represented on a Line Chart. I have a formula to calculate the 90th >percentile for e...

Charting Utility Usage
I've collected utility usage (kilowatt, tons, etc) on a monthly basis for the past couple of years. Normally, I've only had to chart usage for a 12-month period. Now I need to compare data on a monthly basis covering the past 3- years (i.e. Jan data for 2004, 2005, 2006) and put it in a chart. I'd like for it to look like this... U # # S # # A # # G E 2004-2005-2006 2004-2005-2006 2004-2005- 2...

compare values
I have a sheet with many rows of numbers. The numbers in each column are supposed to be identical. Is there some way to verify that all the numbers are identical without manually scanning them? Ivor Hi Ivor if by identical you mean A1=B1 then in C1 simply type =IF(A1= B1,"","ERROR") and fill down (double click on + at bottom right corner of the cell) - you can then check out the "error" ones if, however, you mean the numbers are somewhere in the first column and somewhere in the second column but not necessarily next to each other, use the array formula...

StartDoc() returns -1
Below is a section of code that I am using, it always works the first time but on the second call StartDoc always returns -1. I can't even find out the particular error. What is going wrong? //////////////////////////////////////////////// dcp.Attach(theApp.printerDC()); DOCINFO doc; // Doc info. // memset(&doc, 0, sizeof(doc)); doc.cbSize = sizeof (doc); doc.lpszDocName = "Doc"; doc.fwType=0; doc.lpszDatatype=0; doc.lpszOutput=0; int q=dcp.StartDoc(&doc); if (q<0) { return; } "Chris Baker" <ChrisBaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

related to dialogbox
hi, i have created a dilaog box. i want , in which position that the dialogbox is , when i run this program. i mean , is it in minimized or maximized or restored or like this. how can we know that, that a particular dialog box is minimized or maximized if possible explain with an example, clearly thanks for u r help koti Koti wrote: > hi, > > i have created a dilaog box. i want , in which position that the dialogbox > is , when i run this program. i mean , is it in minimized or maximized or > restored or like this. > > how can we know that, that a particular ...

Chart layout problem
I want to make my chart display the full width of the page, but just above where the Legend is shown - I know how to remove that - there's a blue box "Drop Series Fields Here" that I can't find how to remove ! :( Any simple pointers - I am no good at all with VBA and we're not able to install anything complex at work - very gratefully received :) Nick in Leeds On Nov 24, 2:26=A0pm, NickTheBatMan <nickw7...@gmail.com> wrote: > I want to make my chart display the full width of the page, but just > above where the Legend is shown - I know how to remove that - ...

Two y-axes and two column charts
Excel 2003 - I am trying to create a two column chart where each is plotted on it's own y axis. I can use the custom chart to do a line and a column; two lines, or a bar and a column. When I try to do two columns, they stack. The user wants them side by side. Is there a way to 'trick' the system or is he stuck with the options I've just describe? Suzan - Here's the trick: dummy series. Here's one way how: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutio...

chart not updating
I have a pivot table with a drop down that lists division. Data presented is dependent upon which division I select. Next I have cells referenced to the same cells in my pivot table. My reason is that a pivot chart is not as flexible as a chart based on a normal table. Anyway, my chart is made with those cells as the source. The cells update based upon what division I selected in my pivot table drop down. (Same data in both places: independent table and pivot table). However, my chart is not updating as it should. It retains the first division's information. It worked ini...

problem printing charts
I have a series of small charts on a worksheet that I am printing 4 at a time in landscape format. It was working fine until the last set - the print preview and the printout had one of the charts in a different location/position than is shown on the worksheet. I can shift the chart around in the worksheet and it will move in the print preview/printout but not to the location I desire. I have seen an error message on this with the Excel 2007 beta version but no solution. I am using Excel 2007 with SP1. I have run the Excel diagnostics, restarted Excel, and even rebooted the whole c...

Set the a differet value of a textbox based on input value
Hello to everybody. In a textbox I shoult type the value from 1 to 9 in the following way: 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, etc However may times I type only one digit: 1, 2, 4, 5, etc. Is there a way to get always as result 01, 02, 03. This way will help me a lot during the report sorted out by column Thanks for your help and regards John On Sun, 20 May 2007 07:25:07 +0200, John wrote: > Hello to everybody. > In a textbox I shoult type the value from 1 to 9 in the following way: 01, > 02, 03, 04, 05, etc > However may times I type only one digit: 1, 2, 4, 5, etc. > Is there a way to...

Recording new excel macro, relative reference button doesn't show
When recording a new macro in excel I want to select the relative reference button in the stop recording box, but the stop recording box does not popup; it's no where to be found. Everything I've read on-line says it just appears, but it doesn't on my system. It works fine on my co-workers machine, and he has the same system as mine. We are both running Windows XP, with excel version 2003. hi, not sure why it isn't popping up on your machine. it does on mine. but you can access it anyway. Tools>customize>toolbar tab>check stop recording scroll down.....

Copying Gantt Charts into MS Word
I am trying to copy certain things from MS Project to Word - Gantt chart, budget report, critical path etc- and when I transfer to Word, I either lose a large majority of the information (cuts it off to the right), or it is so small that it is unreadable. Can someone please give me some hints as to how I can transfer all of the dat I need and still be able to read it? Thanks Have you tried posting your question in either the Word or Project newsgroups? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:e62201c43c77$3f985860$...

Scatter chart with columns instead of points
I need to create a chart showing the number of students who received each numerical grade on test. The spacing between grades is not equidistant (ex: 65, 70, 90, etc.) and I need to show the true spacing on the x-axis. So I chose a scatter chart because the other charts make the points of equal distance on the x-axis. The trouble is I need to represent the data as columns so if two students scored a 65 and eight scored a 90, the 90 column would much higher. Is there a way to add vertical columns to a scatter chart? Put your grades in a column, and include the grades which had none. ...

Enable Combo box based on value in check box and list box....
I am working in Excel 2003 As a part of my worksheet titled "Worksheet" I am trying to enable Combo boxes based on the value of a check box and the value in a list box. There will be a total of 6 combo boxes on the Worksheet. The first combo box that deals with the body of a book will by default enabled. The second combo box will be set to appear disabled unless a forms control check box is checked to indicate there will be a cover on the book. The 3rd through 6th combo box will each be disabled by default and will be enabled when the list box which indicates the additional sect...

starting point
Env: WindowsXP, VC++6.00 I have made a SDI application which can display/edit/scroll/ a bitmap(DIB) file. According to my user's requirement, I display it in 1/8 of file simultaneously and the user can switch to the other part of bitmap by menu. As the next version, the user hopes to change it to multiple-view(8 picture). Then, I have one data file(DIB) and need up to 8 views(with scrolling capabilities) to display simultaneously. And I hope I can still use MFC/Classward. So, I wonder how should I create a starting app for it? A MDI app? TIA William First rule: creating an SDI app...

Format a whole row based on value of one cell
I want to use conditional formatting to colour a whole row of cell based on the value in column C. I understand how conditional formatting works on the single cell yo select, but I don't know how to change the format for multiple cell based on the value of a single cell. Any suggestions? g -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following as an example: - select row 1 - goto 'format - Conditional Format' - choose 'formula' and enter the following formula =$C1=your_value - choose a format -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I want to u...

Publisher or PP for Web Page Chart Illustration?
I need to create some content for web site pages and don't know whether to use Power Point or Publisher. I need to create flow charts of sorts with boxes, diagrams, arrows and descriptive content. I need it to be bright, colorful and visually appealing; may or not be animated. I have both products in Office '07 but don't know which to use and will have to learn as I go. I don't need to actually creat the web page...just the content for the web designer. Thanks! I don't use Power Point, but it seems to me that using Publisher for layout makes the most sense. Then sel...

Chart problem: values in column A doen't show on x-axis
The data in column A in the table I want to use for a chart contain numeric values: 2000 - 2001 - 2002 - ... In the chart these don't show as labels for the x-axis, but as a serie of data in the chart. Any way around this without changing all the values in coumn A int text -- digica ----------------------------------------------------------------------- digicat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1492 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49945 ...