how to show another column when hovering on a point in a chart?

Is it possible to show info from another column  when you hover on a point in
a chart?
I have 3 columns, A, B, and C for a scatter plot
I have B and C as x and y coordinates of a point,
and I'd like to have Excel show A when I hover on the point in the little
popup box.

thanks,

Wei

0
wz (10)

Showing custom data when hovering over a chart point requires VBA
support -- and even then is reasonably complicated and less than
elegant.  For one possible solution see
Hover Chart Label
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/chart_hover_label/index.html

Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <006DA0F7-2EED-467B-87EA-AB8D2CCE034E@microsoft.com>,
wz@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Is it possible to show info from another column  when you hover on a point in
> a chart?
> I have 3 columns, A, B, and C for a scatter plot
> I have B and C as x and y coordinates of a point,
> and I'd like to have Excel show A when I hover on the point in the little
> popup box.
>
> thanks,
>
> Wei

Hi Tushar,
  Got your add_in from your site, thanks.
  But don't know what to do with it. When I select "Set Hover" from the TM
drop-down, it only asked me to select chart, then nothing happens after I
selected one.
  I'm using excel 2003 on XP.

Wei

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

> Showing custom data when hovering over a chart point requires VBA
> support -- and even then is reasonably complicated and less than
> elegant.  For one possible solution see
> Hover Chart Label
> http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/chart_hover_label/index.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Tushar Mehta
> www.tushar-mehta.com
> Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> Custom MS Office productivity solutions
>
> In article <006DA0F7-2EED-467B-87EA-AB8D2CCE034E@microsoft.com>,
> wz@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > Is it possible to show info from another column  when you hover on a point in
> > a chart?
> > I have 3 columns, A, B, and C for a scatter plot
> > I have B and C as x and y coordinates of a point,
> > and I'd like to have Excel show A when I hover on the point in the little
> > popup box.
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Wei

0
wz (10)
11/9/2004 5:14:02 PM
First, you have to set data labels for the series (use TM | Set data
labels...) This is a function similar to, but simpler than, the one in
Rob Bovey's XY Chartlabeler add-in (or John Walkenbach's Chart Tools).

Then, select TM | Datalabels on Hover > Set Hover... Now, specify the
chart.

If done correctly, the datalabels will shrink to a font size of 1.  The
size will be reset to 10 with TM | Datalabels on Hover > Reset Hover...

--

In article <7D791F1A-8A9E-4483-8BDA-974E7C671301@microsoft.com>,
wz@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Hi Tushar,
>   Got your add_in from your site, thanks.
>   But don't know what to do with it. When I select "Set Hover" from the TM
> drop-down, it only asked me to select chart, then nothing happens after I
> selected one.
>   I'm using excel 2003 on XP.
>
> Wei
>
> "Tushar Mehta" wrote:
>
> > Showing custom data when hovering over a chart point requires VBA
> > support -- and even then is reasonably complicated and less than
> > elegant.  For one possible solution see
> > Hover Chart Label
> > http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/chart_hover_label/index.html
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Tushar Mehta
> > www.tushar-mehta.com
> > Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> > Custom MS Office productivity solutions
> >
> > In article <006DA0F7-2EED-467B-87EA-AB8D2CCE034E@microsoft.com>,
> > wz@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > > Is it possible to show info from another column  when you hover on a point in
> > > a chart?
> > > I have 3 columns, A, B, and C for a scatter plot
> > > I have B and C as x and y coordinates of a point,
> > > and I'd like to have Excel show A when I hover on the point in the little
> > > popup box.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > Wei

Address Book Column Sequence
Every since I downloaded upgrade to Office XP my email address book is listed Name Display Name Address And I want "Display Name" first because it is last name first unlike the "Name" which is first name first. How can I change the columns? You can't change the columns, nor do you need to. Instead change the sort order of the Address Book. Go to Tools > E-mail accounts > View or change existing directories or address books > Outlook Address Book > Change. > Set your sort order there -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "dma...

Remote another objects in a another applications
Dear All... Is it possible to control or to remote another objects in another msaccess application from the current msacces applications, that opens in the same time. I had a form to edit some records, and I want to display the results in the other form in the other applications and in the same time I could also control/remote that application like open or close forms or other objects. Currently I'm using dual monitors that attached to one computer but located in different rooms. Is it make any sense?... I've already knew how to remote one object from another in one same ap...

How do I automatiicaly redefinie Source data range for a chart?
I have A Chart Defined by Category (X) values in Collumn B and Y values in Collumn C. Right now Both are defined by rows 4 to 114. I would like to be able to have the chart automatically redefine itself so if I put a value in C115 the chart would automaticaly set Y value range to be C4:C115 eithout having to manually define chart. Is this possible? If so how? I've tried OFFSET bu so far no luck. Hi, If you turn your data cells into a List, or Table in xl2007, the chart will auto expand. The named range approach will work if you set up the names correctly. See here for more info...

Pasting excel chart into powerpoint
Office 2003. When I paste an excel chart into powerpoint, it's not pasting proportionally. I've added text boxes to the chart (in Excel). Also, the original chart is a full page in Excel, however when I paste it into Powerpoint, it's being reduced in size. when I enlarge it, the text boxes (that I added) then overlap one another in powerpoint, where they didn't do this in Excel. I just switched from '97 to 2003 and this wasn't a problem. Perhaps I'll also post this to the powerpoint newsgroup, in case the problem is there instead of excel. I have so...

Finding intersection point in rows and columns
I am trying to work a macro which will do the work for me (go figure). Here is the easy example. I have a worksheet which has a 3 columns an a bunch of rows: the column headings are " ", "total", "add-on" the rows then consist of "mike","1,000","200"... then next ro "cindy","1,230","23" etc I would like a different worksheet to have a macro button that ca take the data and put it into a new table and stuff. I was thinking along the lines of creating labels on the top and left and then referencing the ...

column totals on stacked column chart
Hi. Is there a good way to get the column totals on a stacked column chart to appear above the columns? All I have gotten so far is the individual pieces of the column to show their values inside of the column, but the user wants the column total, above the column. Thanks. Mark Hi, Assuming your chart is a 2d stacked column you could use dummy data series plotted on the secondary axis to display the total. Create yourself a helper column on your worksheet that sums the values of each column. Add this to the chart. At first it will be an extra portion on each stack. Select the serie...

Power Point
The owner of the company I work for wants to take a power point presentation and turn it into a movie clip. Is this possible? if so, how can i do this for him? is there a program i can buy to do this? Thank you for any help. Andy Hammarbeck ...

Set color for chart serie in excel 2007/2010
Hi! I want to do a macro that sets the color for the chart series to the color the company has desided to use. We have a theme but we can only set color for the first 6 series and we often use much more series. I have understod that this isnt so easy as to loop thru the series and set the color since the color is set on different ways depending on the charttype for the serie, or is it a way to do this so it works for all chart types? thanks As you say only six basic colours are available. However each subsequent set of six is a shade lighter, although each incremental differe...

97: How can I find duplicate entries in a column?
Hello and thanks in advance for any help. This is a very basic question from an even more basic user. I have a spread sheet with a long list of ID numbers for skips. Sometimes duplicate numbers arise from paper work from elsewhere and I get a false total of skips in hand. How can I organise that column to highlight a duplicate entry please? Shen --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Insert a helper column: =COUNTIF(A1:A9999,A1) (adjust the range to suit.) then the formulas that evaluate to more than 1 will be duplicated. Chip Pearson has some other techniques at: http://ww...

Excel charts into powerpoint
Is there some simple code that I can use to get a group of excel charts into an existing powerpoint presentation? ...

Comapre columns
hi i have a worksheet containing two columns of data column A = names column B = Team Cell k1 holds the widows log on name ie kevin Cell I1 holds the team identification ie team 1 i want to read column A compare it with the name logged on then i want to check the team in column B against team Identification if the user name is correct and the team is correct open the workbook for editing if the username is correct and the team is incorrect open the open the book in Read Only If user name is incorrect open workbook Read Only On Feb 2, 11:57=A0am, kevin carter <kevca...@btin...

Custom Type Charts Problem
I am using Custom Type Charts in Excel, which uses Pivot Table as the Data Source. The problem that I am facing here is that whenever I Refresh the data using the Refresh icon, the Custom Type charts LOOSE their formatting. To make my problem clearer, I am attaching a sample Excel sheet herewith. In the sample file, go to 3rd sheet "Custom Type Chart" and have a look at the "Tubes" chart. Now click on the "!" Icon (this is the Refresh icon). The formatting of the chart changes. Try this out with the "Normal Chart". The formatting remains the same. ...

How to add columns?
I've looked and looked but cannot figure out how to add columns. It's probably right in front of me and I'm just blind maybe. Appreciate any help. Noodles, insert, column, if you want to put a column in between some, if you want more than 256 columns this can not be done in excel -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Noodles" <noodles@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:b656a15dpsgqgmov453p69nq2l...

outlook 2003 sent items column displays "none"
Hi.. When I send a mail message to someone (an exchange user) by Outlook 2003 ; message shown as in sent items 'to column' "to : (none)" (with arrange by to: ) and in message to & cc fields are blank... In addition mail recipients receiving mail to & cc fields are blank.. How can I solve this problem ; can anybody help me ? Thanks.. ...

Chart turns gray.. can anyone help
Hi, I am working with a large file.. but not as big as others. This one has a few charts. When I add another it starts acting weird... turning totally gray unless I click on it...? its it the fact that its not embedded or not in front or in back of the worksheet? Thanks for any helpful ideas on correcting this. Go to Options on the Tools menu, click on the View tab, and under Objects, select View All. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ _______ Steve Kay wrote: > Hi, I am working with a large file.. but ...

In POwer POint 2003 can I gradually add text in the same slide?
I want to gradually add text in my presentation within the same slide. For ex: The beginning of an equation and click the mouse to complete the equation as I explain it. Read the instruction here: http://pptfaq.com/FAQ00581.htm -- James Bart: "According to creationism, there were no cavemen." Homer: "Well good riddance, their drawings sucked and they all looked like hippies!" "PP HELP" <PP HELP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6190E093-00D4-492A-AD1A-3F589B809E5D@microsoft.com... > I want to gradually add text in ...

using INDIRECT with COLUMN fails.. I know why
I had a huge spreadsheet that I assembled by the end of the summer. at one point, it pulled data from one worksheet to the next using an INDIRECT combined with ROW() now- at the end of the summer, I'm re-writing it- but for display purposes, I find it works better vertically where before it was horizontal. I'm stuck, I know where.. before, my indirect("sheetname!"&$A1&ROW()) worked fine if A1 had a letter so I might get an address of "sheetname!d1" now, my indirect("sheetname!"&colum()&a$1) fails-- as column() returns a number n...

User defined series in chart
Hello, I need to create a chart, whose X axis follows the following series from lowest to highest (1,2,3,4-,4,4+,5-,5,5+). These numbers basically represent a ratings system, with 1 being the worst rating and 5+ being the best rating. I have the data populated in excel, I just don't know how to graph it. Thanks, Paul Put the series in a column as text; these will be the category (x-) values In the next column; enter the y-values Make a LINE chart best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email <prayesm@gmail.com> wrot...

Plotting points
In the code that I received from someone here "dragcursor" comes up "Undeclared Identifier" what should it be. #define DELTA 4 CSize offset; int dragger; dc.Polyline(Points, PointCount); void CMyWnd::OnLButtonDown(UINT flags, CPoint pt) { CRect box(pt.x - DELTA, pt.y - DELTA, pt.x + DELTA, pt.y + DELTA); for(int i = 1; i < PointCount - 1; i++) { /* scan */ if(box.PtInRect(Points[i])) { /* hit */ SetCursor(dragcursor); // ******** the problem is here ******** SetCapture(); dragger = i; offset = CSize(pt.x - Points[i].x, pt.y...

Another question, regard enum { IDD = DIALOGID };
Hope it's okay if I ask another question, I noticed that my dialog lacked an IDD-enum. When you create a new dialog project, say, you get something like the following in the public section of the dialog class header: enum { IDD = IDD_ASIMPLETEST_DIALOG }; I noticed I didn't have one in this old project so I added one but it won't compile because the compiler doesn't see the identifier I'm using, which is due to the fact that Resource.h isn't included in the dialog class header file. But the thing is, it isn't included in my test project either but it compiles...

can't move chart to new worksheet
I am creating a an embedded chart and then move it to another worksheet that would contain all my charts. After I create the chart I want to move it to another sheet. here is my code: ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("chart1").Activate ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select ActiveWindow.Visible = False ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlNormal ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized Sheets("charts").Select Range("A1").Select ActiveSheet.PasteSpecial Format:="Picture (Enhanced Metafile)", Link:=False _ , DisplayAsIcon:=False It gives me an...

Set Print Preview to always show color
It was easy enough to get Publisher 2003 to perform a print preview in black and white using Tools, Commercial Printing Tools. I want to set it back to print preview in color but it refuses to do so. I have jacked around with all of the radio buttons for Any Color, Single color, Process Colors, etc. but nothing seems to work. If anyone can help me out, please do so. -- Thanks Wes Newman How about the printer settings? Are they set to color? The Generic Color Postscript for Commercial Printing has a color choice in the preferences. Paper/Quality tab. Have you checked the printer pre...

Gantt Chart!
ok so there are loads of Gantt charts out there that use days completed and days left and only a start date....I would like to use % completed and remaing using an end date - does anyone know how to do this? Task description Start date End date % completed % remaining. Use a formula to translate % complete into days complete: =(EndDate - StartDate) * % Complete DaysLeft: =EndDate - DaysComplete -- Best Regards, Luke M "Scott_goddard" <Scottgoddard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF26A365-1662-42C2-B78C-8DD98675A4EC@microsoft.com... ...

Outlook
I have two users on the network that are experiencing the same issue. They get new mail and the numbeer in () shows up by the outlook inbox indicating new mail but you can only see the new mail from OWA. I have setup the profiles on differant computers and the problem follows the profile. I have the same similar problem, only I do not get the number. >-----Original Message----- >I have two users on the network that are experiencing the >same issue. They get new mail and the numbeer in () >shows up by the outlook inbox indicating new mail but you >can only see th...

Retrieve information from another field / entity
Hello. I've searched around and found some code for me to be able to get the value from two fields in the Account Entity to two fields in the Opportunity Entity. This would happened on the OnChange event of my "client" / "account" field. This field is the customerid field and is type "customer". It seems the code is doing what it's supposed to do until the end...where it's supposed to populate the two fields in the opportunity. I get the following error: "There was an error with this field's customzied event. Field: customerid ...