how to show another column when hovering on a point in a chart?

Is it possible to show info from another column  when you hover on a point in
a chart?
I have 3 columns, A, B, and C for a scatter plot
I have B and C as x and y coordinates of a point,
and I'd like to have Excel show A when I hover on the point in the little
popup box.

thanks,

Wei

0
wz (10)

Showing custom data when hovering over a chart point requires VBA
support -- and even then is reasonably complicated and less than
elegant.  For one possible solution see
Hover Chart Label
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/chart_hover_label/index.html

Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <006DA0F7-2EED-467B-87EA-AB8D2CCE034E@microsoft.com>,
wz@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Is it possible to show info from another column  when you hover on a point in
> a chart?
> I have 3 columns, A, B, and C for a scatter plot
> I have B and C as x and y coordinates of a point,
> and I'd like to have Excel show A when I hover on the point in the little
> popup box.
>
> thanks,
>
> Wei

Hi Tushar,
  Got your add_in from your site, thanks.
  But don't know what to do with it. When I select "Set Hover" from the TM
drop-down, it only asked me to select chart, then nothing happens after I
selected one.
  I'm using excel 2003 on XP.

Wei

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

> Showing custom data when hovering over a chart point requires VBA
> support -- and even then is reasonably complicated and less than
> elegant.  For one possible solution see
> Hover Chart Label
> http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/chart_hover_label/index.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Tushar Mehta
> www.tushar-mehta.com
> Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> Custom MS Office productivity solutions
>
> In article <006DA0F7-2EED-467B-87EA-AB8D2CCE034E@microsoft.com>,
> wz@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > Is it possible to show info from another column  when you hover on a point in
> > a chart?
> > I have 3 columns, A, B, and C for a scatter plot
> > I have B and C as x and y coordinates of a point,
> > and I'd like to have Excel show A when I hover on the point in the little
> > popup box.
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Wei

0
wz (10)
11/9/2004 5:14:02 PM
First, you have to set data labels for the series (use TM | Set data
labels...) This is a function similar to, but simpler than, the one in
Rob Bovey's XY Chartlabeler add-in (or John Walkenbach's Chart Tools).

Then, select TM | Datalabels on Hover > Set Hover... Now, specify the
chart.

If done correctly, the datalabels will shrink to a font size of 1.  The
size will be reset to 10 with TM | Datalabels on Hover > Reset Hover...

--

In article <7D791F1A-8A9E-4483-8BDA-974E7C671301@microsoft.com>,
wz@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Hi Tushar,
>   Got your add_in from your site, thanks.
>   But don't know what to do with it. When I select "Set Hover" from the TM
> drop-down, it only asked me to select chart, then nothing happens after I
> selected one.
>   I'm using excel 2003 on XP.
>
> Wei
>
> "Tushar Mehta" wrote:
>
> > Showing custom data when hovering over a chart point requires VBA
> > support -- and even then is reasonably complicated and less than
> > elegant.  For one possible solution see
> > Hover Chart Label
> > http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/chart_hover_label/index.html
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Tushar Mehta
> > www.tushar-mehta.com
> > Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
> > Custom MS Office productivity solutions
> >
> > In article <006DA0F7-2EED-467B-87EA-AB8D2CCE034E@microsoft.com>,
> > wz@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > > Is it possible to show info from another column  when you hover on a point in
> > > a chart?
> > > I have 3 columns, A, B, and C for a scatter plot
> > > I have B and C as x and y coordinates of a point,
> > > and I'd like to have Excel show A when I hover on the point in the little
> > > popup box.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > Wei

How do you change the rows to columns and columns to rows.
Ok, I am stumped on how to do this? I have a spreadsheed that has Dates in the A column and Data in the row. I want to make is so, the data is in the A column and Dates ru accross in the 1 column. How can I do this? Sound easy, but I am stumped??? :eek -- cc4digita ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cc4digital's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2656 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39843 Highlight your data and copy it into the clipboard. Move to an open spot in the sprea...

How do I have Column Headers Repeat Autmoatically on Every Page?
I just want to know how to have header automatically repeat on every page, without having to insert row, copy and paste.... Hi file - Pagesetup - Sheets and define the repeating rows "kristiatscaor" wrote: > I just want to know how to have header automatically repeat on every page, > without having to insert row, copy and paste.... ...

How do I add vertical lines to separate columns in Outlook 2003 #2
In Outlook 2000, all columns were separated by a gray vertical line. I can't seem to set this up in Outlook 2003. Any help would be appreciated ARe you using Word as the message editor? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, mschwartz asked: | In Outlook 2000, all columns were separated by a gray | vertical line. I can't seem to set this up in O...

Percentage Column Charts
HI!! I think I am thinking too much about this and it is easier than it seems, but I cant figure it out! hopefully someone can help. So I need to create a chart with 2 column...plan vs. actual. But I need each of these bar columns to be separted by percentages of the categories that make them up. EX: I need to make a comparison on how big of a percentage the Labor part of the Budget was when they planned and how it differs from the actual execution. Thanks for your help! Stacked Column Graph Set up as labor code ACT PLAN a 1 1 b 3 2 c 5 3 d ...

separate columns
Hi, I am having a little problem and I was wondering if any of you coul help me with it. I have two columns, A (Definitions) and B is empty. Column A has several words in a single cell, I was wondering if ther is a way to put only the first word from cell A1, for example, in cel B1. Thanks. Regards, Marco -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Marcos! Try: =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1) -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au "marksuza >" <<marksuza.16lqli@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:ma...

How to make a column of formulas all ROUND
I created a spreadsheet in which I have a column of formulas. Most of these fomulas are simply pulling a single number off another sheet. I want to make all the formulas ROUND versions of the existing formula without having to go into each cell and making the change. They are not in order to which I can just make the first fomula a ROUND fomula and copy down. So, is there a way to select a range of cells and make the existing fomulas all ROUND versions? Thanks. Would this help? Sub RoundAdd() Dim mystr As String Dim cel As Range For Each cel In Selection If...

XY chart labeller Issue: (Magic quadrant) But with a twist.
Hiya Folks I have the same problem as has already been discussed on the forum (see below@ end of my email), but in my case there is an additional twist. The orginal issue was solved by using Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler to add labels. The free download is at his web site: http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm But in my case I have lots of XY points (155 to be precise). The problem is that 155 visible labels make the chart look very messy. Is there anyway to make the XY labels invisible until you hover over them with a mouse/pointer? Any help would be greatl...

chart question #4
Can anyone please give me some guideline on how to draw a chart with y-axis is the count of the item in x-axis? I am using Excel 97. Thanks. I am not certain I fully understand your question, but I am going to give it a stab. Excel charts are very flexible, and I think you need to keep in mind that you need to have the right data in place to draw the chart. I.e. don't focus on the chart itself, focus on the data in the spreadsheet you are trying to chart, and once that is in place, your chart will look the way you want. -- ChrisJ Omaha "00KobeBrian" wrote: > Can...

How do i locate the point of intersection of two lines graphs
I have a plot of two lines using excell which intersect at a point. I want to locate the point of their intersection using excell and show the co-ordinates of that point so that any body can see that i read that point from it. Step by step procedurewould be helpful and i am using microsoft excel 2007. Thanks. I will assume you have two straight lines - if not please tell me what they are. Let the lines follow the two functions y1=m1x1+b1 and y2=m2x2+b2 Let the point of intersection be Y and X Then m1X+b1=m2X+b2, giving X=(b2-b1)/(m1-m2) In Excel terms, X=(INTERCEPT(y-values2,x-values2)...

How to order chart in descending order of Freq?
I am using Access 2000-03. The graph is a subset to excel, but very close. I have a Access Graph Chart with the Row Source set to: "TRANSFORM Sum([Freq]) AS [SumOfFreq] SELECT [Personnel] FROM [Rept#704_Joint_Personnel] GROUP BY [Personnel] PIVOT [RP];" Currently, my graph order the personnel in Ascending order of Personnel. I want to now order it by Descending Order of Freq. In the query [Rept#704_Joint_Personnel], I have the following fields: a) Freq b) Personnel Can someone please help me here! Thank You, Gary I don't know how you'd have to modify your ...

Excel Graphing Line References off when chart is a sheet.
I have noticed that when any graph is created in EXCEL and you hover you mouse over the dataline you receive that corect response. If you convert the chart to a sheet, the hover of the data line is now not representative of the the y axis directly below it. The data being graphed is correct now the hover represents the "series" (x-Axis) correctly but does not represent the "Point" (y-axis) correctly at all. Tne Y-axis datapoint reference is wrong. Any help? ...

How to create drop down list that determines another drop down list?
Hey all, Here is an example of what I am trying to do. I have a list of ten baseball teams with 20 players on each team. I want to create a drop down box that will allow me to select one of the ten teams and then a second drop down box below the first that will give me the list of the 20 players on the team I have selected in the first box. Then I want to choose that player to enter his statistics. Is this possible? Any help is much appreciated. THANKS in advance, Darren D. Darren You can use the selection from the first pulldown as the defined name for the second selection list Then in t...

JWalk Chart Tools series label problem
I am using John Walkenbach's "JWalk Chart Tools" add-in to label a data series with values from other cells. (I want percentages as data labels even though the series is charted as actual values.) The two cells I'm using to label the two points in my series are not next to each other, if this is important. I CTRL-click the two cells and they are listed in the selection window with a comma, like this: 'Source data'!$D$8, 'Source data'!$AG$8 . This looks good to me. But while the values in D8 and AG8 are 5.33% and 5.16%, the labels show up as 5.33% and 21.93% B...

Display Missing Data Labels as N/A on a Chart
I am displaying values as the data labels in a chart but missing values are displayed as 0's. Is there a way to display them as N/A instead? ...

possable to show OL only in systray
Hi all, I can have outlook 2003 constantly running but would just like to move it to the systray rather than on the task bar, so i can continue to receive the popups informing me of new mail thanks michael Sure, rightclick the icon in the Notification Area and select Hide When Minimized -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Michael" <trott@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:MBHYc.13545$D7.3183@news-server.bigpond.net.au... &g...

Removing empty cells in column groups
Hi All, I'm creating a report with row and column groups. But the columns groups are displaying values in sperate rows instead on the same row leaving empty cells. I need to remove those cells and get the column gropu values in a same row. Please refer to this image http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7139/23561415.png Hi What dataset query do you have? I think SELECT MAX(CASE WHEN .... ) should solve the problem "Supun" <Supun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F842A7A9-7975-438E-B2E5-40C72166DF63@microsoft.com... > Hi All, > ...

Text to Column effecting automatically
Hi, Let's say I copy following text from some ASCII file and paste in to excel. Wer-67843-PLOU Qty-34r5-ASDE Then I use Excel's text to column feature on above and parse it with Hyphen as delimter. Wer 67843 PLOU Qty 34r5 ASDE Well and Good. Next time I copy text with similar structure from ASCII file and paste in to the ABOVE excel SESSION the parsing happens automatically. Now, sometimes I would like this to happen automatically while sometimes not (In the second case I have to go to the trouble of starting new excel sessions). Can this be feature be toggled on or off at use...

How to print limited columns in sheet
I have a page in spreadsheet Lets say columns a to z A and B are for stock figures and also M and N are for stock figures Is there a way to print the sheet A to Z but not have columns A,B,M,N on the printed sheet. I am looking for something easy as I have to get one of the office girls to do this once its set up. thanks "S" <virgin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:op0Qj.55787$_h7.32456@newsfe05.ams2... >I have a page in spreadsheet > > Lets say columns a to z > > A and B are for stock figures and also M and N are for stock figures > > Is t...

Insert Column 2007
aHello I have recently installed Access 2007. When I'm in the Design View of any query the icon to Insert Column is greyed out and unavailable. I have closed the query, the datebase and restarted the PC, Access and checked different queries, different databases and the problem persists. Any ideas? Judith Try to mark a column & Hit Insert Pieter "JudithJubilee" <JudithJubilee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A44F079-25D2-4B1A-9AD2-89F76BEDCD30@microsoft.com... > aHello > > I have recently installed Access 2007. When I'm in the Desi...

Chart items moving around
I have a worksheet containing a lot of graphs that I have aligned carfully. I then have a macro that updates the sheet for various business units and collects pictures of the sheet in another file. Everything works fine except that the chart items move around a little which is quite annoying since I want it to look exactly the same for all units. For example, when I have run the macro a couple of times I can find a legend a bit off its original position or a plot area that has become a bit smaller. Does anyone know why this happens and if there is something to do about it? This actuall...

Download bank bank payee does not show same in register
When I download from TD Canada Trust, my banking activity, payee names from bank and Money register are different. eg bank transaction says payee Safeway $65.00, Money register now says payee Fitness City $65.00. How do I get the two to match. Not all transaction are doing this. Only a few. Tnx pls email response to altowarrior@hotmail.com ...

Formatting excel chart in powerpoint -- size scales are blank
At times when i copy an excel chart into powerpoint and want to resize it, the size scales are blank (height/width). I click on reset which shows me 100%, but if i need to go back and resize it again it goes back to being blank. It happens sometimes. Have Office XP, and tried everything i can possibly think of -- paste special, linking, and nothing works. Hope someone has encountered this same problem and has a solution if there is one. THANKS For re-sizing the best option is to copy as a picture: 1. select the area of the worksheet you want to copy 2. while holding down the SHIFT key, p...

Pie chart on a pie chart (exploded)?
I'm open to either existing charts that do this, or hints on how to make my own custom chart to do this. I'd like to make a pie chart (center pie chart) that looks like a normal pie chart. Then for each wedge, I'd like to add "exploded" wedges showing portions of each slice of the main chart. The built in option only does this for one wedge, and it makes it a new (smaller) pie chart to the side, instead of wedges around the perimiter. What I'd like to do, for example: Center Chart Diet = 30% Fruits &Veggies 30% Grains 20% Milk & Dairy 20% Meats & Beans ...

Text to Columns
500+ sentences, I need to seperate (text to columns) after the first "-" only. There are subsequent "-" but I only want it seperated at the first. And when I seperate it in the second column I do not want a space preceeding the text. Can you give advice on this, any help would be much appreciated! Thanks Sample Data AIR TAXI - An aircraft operator who conducts operations for hire or compensation in accordance with FAR Part 135 in an aircraft with 30 or fewer passenger seats and a payload capacity of 7,500# or less. An air taxi operates on an on-dem...