How to select data series to format? (alternative needed)

Is there an alternate way to select a data series to format
in an XY Scatter chart?

The only way I know of is to move the cursor close to the
series line and right-click.

But if the chart includes many data series and the lines
are close together, it is difficult, if not "impossible", to
select the desired line.

I am looking for a method that presents me with a list
of all the data series, and I select the one I want to
"right click" (i.e. open the menu that include format,
add trendline and clear, among others).

Or something else that would not be so difficult to use.

Hi,

You can use the cursor keys to cycle through the chart elements. More
explanation can be found here.
http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip003.htm

One you have the correct element selected use CTRL+1 to display the
format dialog. Or use the Format menu.

The chart toolbar include a dropdown list of chart elements which will
select the choosen item. To display the chart toolbar either right-click
a toolbar to display a popup of available toolbars or use the menu View
 > Toolbars > Chart

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Andy Pope" wrote:
> You can use the cursor keys to cycle through the chart
> elements. More explanation can be found here.
> http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip003.htm
> One you have the correct element selected use CTRL+1
> to display the format dialog. Or use the Format menu.

Terrific!  Thanks much.

Conditional Formatting for a certain month
Having a bit of an issue at the moment, ive got the Cell for instance A1 Which contains 04-Jan-06 Basically Im after some conditional formatting to say if the month is January, then make the cell blue. Which will then lead to me making the other cells different colours depending on their month, but again, it has to be in this format (DD-MM-YY) Thanks for any help, muchly apreciated Assuming a properly formatted date, formula is =if(month(a1)=1) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Advo" <max_mischief@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1158151582....

Rich Text control formatted as bold??
I have a control field on my form that is setup as textformat = rich text. In the memo field on the form I need specific parts of the text to show up as bold. Upon form load I am populating the field with string data such as: Me.MyTextBox = "This is a test string generation." I need to set bold only one or two words of this string. The way I understood it was that if I was using Rich Text format it would convert the formatting to HTML style. But I don't see and havent found examples HTML formatting like [b] [/b] working in VBA. What is the correct way I can do t...

Is there a quick way of assigning multiple series to a bubble char
Each series requires a three-column block of cells, one each for X, Y, and bubble size. Select the block for the first series and create the chart. Select the block for the second series, copy it, select the chart, use Edit menu - Paste Special to add the data as a New Series, with categories in the first column. Repeat as needed. If the series share the X values, you can use this sequence of columns: X Y1 B1 Y2 B2 Y3 B3 where X is the column of shared X values, Yi is the column of Y values for the ith series, and Bi is the column of bubble sizes for the ith series. - Jon -----...

Need to truncate a transaction log
I have a database which is 2 GB but the log file has grown to 35 GB. I would like to truncate the log so I set the recovery method to SIMPLE but the log file did not truncate after last night's backup. This has worked for other databases and I get a small log file. Later, I reset the recovery method back to FULL. Rich Lawson Rich Lawson (nospam@nospam.com) writes: > I have a database which is 2 GB but the log file has grown to 35 GB. I > would like to truncate the log so I set the recovery method to SIMPLE > but the log file did not truncate after last night&...

Need Help with Formula #3
I need help trying to come up with a formula for a friend of mine. This is what he wants -- Using any 9 numbers -- he wants Excel to come up with every possible 3-digit combination of numbers that are divisible by 7. Is there anyone who could assist me with a formula that will perform this calculation? Can Excel do such a calculation? Thanks so much for any assistance you can offer. In A1, enter the number 7. Select A1:A142. Edit>Fill>Series, Step value 7. Format>Cells>Custom, "000". If with "using any 9 numbers" you mean you don't want any zero...

Latest Exchange Administrator Needed admin.exe = 5.5.2655.33
If any body knows were to download the Exchange Admin (admin.exe Version 5.5.2655.33). I am having a problem with mailbox sizes being incorrectly diplayed in Exchange admin. I have dozens of Executives that have mailboxes over 4 or 5 GB and I have no way of correctly reporting there sizes other than using ExMerge. Please help..... Hi Ed, You will need to call into our Tech Support and refer to the following Knowledge Base article and tell them that you need the hotfix. 305829 XADM: Incorrect Mailbox Size Is Displayed in Exchange Server http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305829 -- Thanks,...

select case to replace text with different text
I'm trying to use a Select Case in a Private Sub Worksheet_Change event to do the following: if I type w in a cell in col B, I want to replace it with WIDGETS if I type g in a cell in col B, I want to replace it with GIDGETS seems like it should be simple but I can't come up with the code. On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:28:54 -0600, "John" <nodak457@yahoo.com> wrote: >I'm trying to use a Select Case in a Private Sub Worksheet_Change event to >do the following: > >if I type w in a cell in col B, I want to replace it with WIDGETS >if ...

In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/april/04) data converts.
In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/April/2004) excel converts this to 4/10/04 (4/October/2004) Where can I change the input characteristics. I have changed the date format to English (UK) and this works when I input the date in the American format mm/dd/yy but I want to input in the dd/mm/yy format I think I'd try chaning my windows regional settings. In win98, I'd get to it via: Windows start button|Settings|control Panel|regional settings applet Date Tab Change the short date format to dd/mm/yyyy (I like 4 digit dates--you don't have to use that part--but put it in d...

newbie needs help
Hello, First to let you all know, I am a big novice at this kind of stuff, so please bear with me. What I am trying to do is make a trendchart with 9 different plots on it. How do I change the numbers on the side and bottom of the chart to read what I need them to? I take these tests 3 times a week and would like to chart all of them seperately and also together to chart progress for a whole month. One for each day, and then one for the month. Then I would like to do the same for the following months of the year. And I would like to have one chart to show the progress for the whole...

CRM & Data Matching
Hi, We are going to populate our MSCRM with various data sets. Because of this there will be duplication of customer data. Is there any mechanism within Microsoft CRM (or easily available elsewhere) to match the data from the diverse sources against each other and to arrive at a single instance of the customer. Thanks, D. Microsoft CRM V3 only offers merge capabilities which means you have to locate the duplicates - crm can then merge the records two at a time. ISV's have produced other solutions ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.got...

What is the basic format of a Access VBA module
Hello, I am almost completely new to Access VBA so pardon me if this question is asked before. Anyway, I came across somewhere that I have read before that before I exit an Access VBA module, I am supposed to clear the database or do something to free the database is it? May I know how it is done and why should I be doing that? Thanks! <azhu.uwaterloo@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1177681396.512608.194140@b40g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > I am almost completely new to Access VBA so pardon me if this question > is asked before. > Anyway, I came across somewhere...

Calcs & Data Validation
Looking for an easy way to complet the following. I imagine their must be a quick & easy method. Cell A5 has a drop down list which corresponds to a range on another worksheet. It has 300+ entries. In cell B5 i will enter a number/qty. What i would like is that as each of the items in the list has a corresponding cost (on other worksheet), i would like to know an easy way to calculate the cost (in C5) based upon the qty entered (B5) & the cost of the item selected. I have done it before with 'IF' function for a small selection, but figure there must be an easier...

I need to write this formula in basic
Hi! Does anyone know how to write this formula in Basic. I need to make it work in Openoffice because Excel seems to crash with a list of 20000 people. =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP((RC1&R1C),Sheet1!R2C1:R45000C4,4,0)),"""",VLOOKUP ((RC1&R1C),Sheet1!R2C1:R45000C4,4,0)) Thanks!! ...

Wrong Combobox Selection
Problem: After selecting item 4 in a combobox using CB_SETCURSEL, the first item is always displayed as the default. I am filling a combobox with ~33 strings. The default selection I want is item 4 (nIdx = 3). I call ::SendMessage( hWnd, CB_SETCURSEL, nIdx, 0 ) to select item 4. Debugging code in OnInitDialog() AFTER the above call, using CB_GETCURSEL, returns 3, yet the combobox displays item 0 as the default. To further complicate things, on a different property page I have 2 comboboxes that use the same filling and default setting code. One displays item 0 as the default an...

Pivotchart Multiple series question
Is it possible to have 2 separate clustered series in 1 pivotchart table and if so how. Regards Jason ...

No "Chart Option" feature in the Formatting Palette or when double click on Chart
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I have read a discussion board concerning this issue but it was from 2008 and no solution was offered yet. The problem is as follows: one creates a graph but cannot add a title or format the axis etc. <br><br>When I open a new spreadsheet and enter the data, I can create the graph. However, I cannot select the &quot;Chart Option&quot; to change any specific features. On the formatting palette I only get the "Page Setup" options but nothing relating to the chart and when I double click on the graph t...

Clear Format problem
I am trying to write a macro to clear ALL format in a range of cell. However, I run into a problem. I am using the Selection.ClearFormats command and it works in most cases, but fails when multiple format are applied to the cell. For example if a cell only contains "Hello wonderful world" all in bold than ClearFormats will remove the bold formatting. But if the cell contains "Hello wonderful world" where only "wonderful" is in bold, than ClearFormats does not work and the word "wonderful" remains in bold. Does anyone know how to clea...

Formatting doesn't follow data sort
I was just recently updated to 2003 MS Office Pro. I can't remember what I use to have, but I used to be able to Data Sort info and the borders around cells would follow the appropriate text. It doesn't do that anymore, and I can't find out how to fix it in the online help, and my IT guy doesn't know off the top of his head. Can anyone help or have I wasted a full day and a half putting borders around information for no reason? -- kanimalhouse ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kanimalhouse's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/me...

Cutom Time Format
I want to format a cell with a custom time format that will allow my users to type in the time without the colons. [1014 = 10:14]. I've tried several different ways of setting up a custom format to do this, but nothing works. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks! -- Sherry Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const WS_RANGE As String = "H1:H10" On Error GoTo ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = False If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range(WS_RANGE)) Is Nothing Then With Target .Value = TimeSerial(Int(.Value / 100), _ ...

How do I copy previously entered data
If I enter related data in A1 and C1 and then type the same data as A1 in A4, how do I get the data in C1 to automaticallyh appear in C4? Hi =VLOOKUP(A4,A1:C3,3,0) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Snoopy wrote: > If I enter related data in A1 and C1 and then type the same data as > A1 in A4, how do I get the data in C1 to automaticallyh appear in C4? Hi Frank, Thanks for the information, I tried it and it works. One further question if I may? If I type the info in A1 in multiple places in columnA, can excel be configured to repeat the related info in c1 in the cor...

Data validation causing problems when using a data form in Excel 2
I have an Excel 2007 workbook that includes data validation set on a number of cells. When using a data form to enter data and I enter an invalid value on the form field corresponding to one of those cells I receive the validation error dialogue that prompts me to retry. I enter the correct data into that field on the form then close the form. My worksheet only has the data relating to the corrected field entered. All other data entered via the form is not entered onto the worksheet. Is this a bug in Excel 2007? I previously was using Excel 2002 and found that when using a ...

Excel reporting alternatives
Hi, I am part of a team currently looking for alternatives to replace Vision XL which our Finance team uses for ad-hoc reporting in Great Plains version 8. Although I am still seeking clarification I believe that Vision XL will not work with GP 10 or Office 2007 which we will soon be upgrading too hence a need for a replacement. My team will be writing sql reports using visual studio etc but our Finance team are rather hoping that they can continue using some kind of excel reporting tool, any ideas would be most hopeful. Kind regards Matthew Carpenter Hi Mathew One of the benfits of ...

Data Validation, Via A Formula
Is there a way to apply data validation to one cell, based on the result of another cell? For instance, if in A1, a data validation list displays sports (ie baseball, basketball,etc), and if the user selects "Baseball", then the data validation in B1 would only list baseball teams, from the range named baseball teams. And if basketball is selected, then only basketball teams are displayed. If at all possible, could this be done via a formula and WITHOUT using VB? If not, I could also use any help to accomplish this via VB coding. Any and all help will be appreciated...

Multiple series not plotting in their respective data ranges
I have a price comparison chart (line chart) that has multiple prices for multiple dates. Price 1 has a date range of 01/01/07 - 02/06/07. Price 2 has a date range of 01/19/07 - 01/31/07 (a subset of the Price 1 range). When Price 2 plots, it starts at the left of the overall range (01/01/07) and stops at 01/13/07 instead of plotting in the middle of the chart starting at 01/19/07 and ending at 01/31/07. Is this a bug or is there a parameter setting I need to tweak? Thanks, Mike If you want to plot one variable (price) as a function of another variable (date), you should be using...

Tools.Customize.Commands.Modify Selection (doesn't)
I have a macro (I wrote) that is listed with the project name (and the project name appears on my button) and despite following (what I believe are) the instructions for renaming it the "Modify Selection" button in the Tools.Customize.Commands dialog box is never enabled and I can't rename it. It's Outlook 2000 if that matters. Thanks, Tom ...