How to remove a data point in a chart?

Is there a way to remove the value of a data point so that it doesnt skew the
data in a scatter or line chart.  In other words, I would like to be able to
conceal the data point(s) which are not within the trendline.
0
Vicky (87)

I have some notes on this from newsgorup. this is only tentative solution

deleting one segment of the chart

click line(of graph)
after a secod click segment
only the two points on two ends of the segment is highlighted
righclick segment
click <format data p;oint>  the operative word is point
select pattern
line-none
marker-none
click ok
cick again on the plot area
the segment is deleted
you can do this the other segment also

but only problem is that the previous point is not connected to the next
point.
there is a gap in the graph
anyhow wait for a solution from an expery

Vicky <Vicky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to remove the value of a data point so that it doesnt skew
the
> data in a scatter or line chart.  In other words, I would like to be able
> conceal the data point(s) which are not within the trendline.

subsequent to my previous message I have found the source It is from Debra
Dalgleish see the forllowing

quote
Debra Dalgleish   Apr 30 2003, 5:15 pm     show options

In Excel 2000, you could click on a line to select the series.
Then, click on a line segment to select it, choose Format>Select Data
Point, and format the Line to 'None'
The segment would disappear.

In Excel 2002, the line doesn't disappear -- it connects the previous,
and next points. You could change the line colour to match the
background colour, for a similar effect to what you had in Excel 2000.
unq;uote

Vicky <Vicky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to remove the value of a data point so that it doesnt skew
the
> data in a scatter or line chart.  In other words, I would like to be able
> conceal the data point(s) which are not within the trendline.

Do you want to hide the point, or remove it from the calculation of the
trendline?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Vicky wrote:

> Is there a way to remove the value of a data point so that it doesnt skew the
> data in a scatter or line chart.  In other words, I would like to be able to
> conceal the data point(s) which are not within the trendline.
Jon, I would like to remove it from the calculation of the trendline.  Thank
you.  How do I do that?
Vicky

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Do you want to hide the point, or remove it from the calculation of the
> trendline?
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> Vicky wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to remove the value of a data point so that it doesnt skew the
> > data in a scatter or line chart.  In other words, I would like to be able to
> > conceal the data point(s) which are not within the trendline.

0
Vicky (87)
7/15/2005 3:12:06 PM
In that case, you need to remove the point from the data being plotted.
The best thing to do is make a copy of the data, construct the chart
with the copied data, and delete from the copy any outliers.

The chart calculates a trendline using every plotted point, whether you
hide it or not.

- Jon
-------

Vicky wrote:
> Jon, I would like to remove it from the calculation of the trendline.  Thank
> you.  How do I do that?
> Vicky
>

> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>

>>Do you want to hide the point, or remove it from the calculation of the
>>trendline?
>>
>>- Jon
>>-------
>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>Peltier Technical Services
>>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>http://PeltierTech.com/
>>_______
>>

>>Vicky wrote:
>>

>>>Is there a way to remove the value of a data point so that it doesnt skew the
>>>data in a scatter or line chart.  In other words, I would like to be able to
>>>conceal the data point(s) which are not within the trendline.

Thank you very much

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> In that case, you need to remove the point from the data being plotted.
> The best thing to do is make a copy of the data, construct the chart
> with the copied data, and delete from the copy any outliers.
>
> The chart calculates a trendline using every plotted point, whether you
> hide it or not.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> Vicky wrote:
> > Jon, I would like to remove it from the calculation of the trendline.  Thank
> > you.  How do I do that?
> > Vicky
> >

> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >

> >>Do you want to hide the point, or remove it from the calculation of the
> >>trendline?
> >>
> >>- Jon
> >>-------
> >>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >>Peltier Technical Services
> >>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >>http://PeltierTech.com/
> >>_______

0
Vicky (87)

How do I display a formula calculation in plot area of a chart?
I want to add a text box in the chart that returns the value from a formula that was entered on the data page. The formula value is not related to any series value. WiseGuyOne: You need to build your text expression in a cell, then insert that expression to the chart. First, to build your text expression: 1. Select your cell 2. Enter = first to let Excel =know you are adding a formula 3. You can now enter text within quotes and cell values .. here's an example =" Yesterdays average temperature was " & sheet1!$a$3 Note that the & is used to add ...

Windows live won't print single page email... prints eye charts only?
Can someone tell me WHY the body of any email invoice has to be printed with BIG text (1/8th inch tall) and be spread across 2 to 3 pages???? Do I need to get away from HP? Do I need to get away from Microsoft? Does Apple have this problem? Can I go back to like Windows 3.1 on my new pavilion? It's real simple. I run a small home based business. I don't even use my computer to do that, except I sometimes order parts online and thus receive invoices via email. For tax purposes, I need to make a hard copy. I've tried everything I can but CANNOT reduce the text si...

Editing external data via ODBC
Hi, I'm in the process of transitioning an excel/access (2003) based solution to a web-based one. Right now, we have a dozen or so separate spreadsheets and a couple of access databases that get updated several times a day. I've managed to import most of the data into a mysql db which I've tried to normalize as much as possible. This will be the backend db for the webapp. I've set up an ODBC connection from excel to the db and it works like a charm; a few query tweaks and I can reproduce the data from all the separate spreadsheets. But now, how about going the other way? ...

Layered charts
I have to create a chart representing population data: males & females. in addition to these two columns, I would like to add the sum of the two. Graphically it would be great to represent the third column (the total population) behind the two M & F columns, providing visually an indication that it is the sum of the two. I've seen something like this in a recent PPT created with Office 2007 (charts from Excel 2007, the version I'm currently using). Is there a smart way to obtain this result? Thanks, Stefano Why not make a tornado chart - see http://peltiertech.com/Exce...

What is the cell data reference for 5th row and 7th column called
Can someone help me with this question? I need to get the answer for my homework. Thanks for your help. I'm guessing, but might it be G5? -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Shy-di@verizon.net" <Shy-di@verizon.net@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0979494-228B-435E-98F7-6BD26C900266@microsoft.com... > Can someone help me with this question? I nee...

Cell Contains Data.
How can I tell a cell that IF a cell contains data (numbers, text, whatever) do x or y. How can I identify data?? I don't want to tell the function to look for a specific number or text, just data, just something in the cell... =IF(A1<>"","Data","No Data") "GEM" <GEM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07916799-F312-4E89-A926-59356B74ED89@microsoft.com... > How can I tell a cell that IF a cell contains data (numbers, text, > whatever) > do x or y. How can I identify data?? I don't want to tell the function ...

Excel2000: Is it possible to use named ranges as chart's series ranges
Hi I have a table, with a row added weekly, and a chart based on those data. But chart must display data from last 6 week only, i.e. chart's data series must be defined dynamically. Of course I can do it, using some hidden dummy sheet, where data for last 6 week are automatically collected, and which serves as source table for chart. But is there a way to avoid this - p.e. by using dynamic named ranges? I tried to enter range names into Values field for Chart Series, but I got 'The formula you typed contains an error' message. Is there some trick for it, or it is hopeless? OK, ...

Data Validation
I have noticed the "Ignore blank" check box in my Data Validation window (XL2003), but i cannot figure out what it does. Nor can i find an answer in the Help files. Just what does this option do? Thanks, Tonso Ignore Blank: If checked, blank entries are allowed. -- Hope this helps. If it does, please click the Yes button. Thanks in advance for your feedback. Gary Brown "Tonso" wrote: > I have noticed the "Ignore blank" check box in my Data Validation > window (XL2003), but i cannot figure out what it does. Nor can i find > an...

How can I remove the previous lock cells and keep the new ones.
Could you please help me?... I locked and protected the cells A1:H20 in the sheet 1 two months ago. However, yesterday I wanted to unlock and unprotect these cells and locked and protected the cells A21:H40 instead. However, for some reason the cells A1:H20 are still lock and protect. How can I remove the previous lock cells (A1:H20) and keep the new cells (A21`:H40) only. Thanks. Maperalia In EXCEL 2007 take the following actions to unlock cells A1 to H20:- 1. Home / Cells group / Format / Unprotect Sheet / enter the password to Unprotect Sheet / OK / highlight cells A1 t...

Black box when printing embedded chart to XPS
On a machine with Excel 2007 installed, open WordPad. Insert -> Object. Choose "Microsoft Office Excel Chart". A generic looking chart gets inserted into the document. Print it to a printer, and it prints fine (at least for me). Print it to the XPS printer (or PDF printer) and you get a black box where the chart is supposed to be. This is causing havok on a program I maintain that uses embedded excel charts. I thought it was a problem in my program, but now I've replicated it only using WordPad, Excel 2007, and the Microsoft XPS printer. ...

ribbon--removing tabs
Hi, I used the following code to remove all tabs from the ribbon. It removed all tabs except "Acrobat". How can I remove this tab? <customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui"> <ribbon startFromScratch="true"> </ribbon> </customUI> Karen Updates to Adobe Acrobat seem to install themselves whether they're wanted or not. Open Access. Use the Office Button in the upper left to get to the Access Options. Select the "Add-Ins". Select "Manage: COM Add-In" a...

Import of Data into RMS 2.0?
We will be converting to RMS soon. Is there anyway we can import our old sales history(Monthly) into RMS 2.0? Hi newbie. I am not aware of a free utility that will import all data, including sales transaction history to your RMS system. Retail Realm has an Import Tool that will do this if your current system is Microsoft Point of Sale, possibly POS 2009, but it is licensed (meaning you need to pay for it). Otherwise, I believe you are limited to importing items, customers, suppliers, and UPCs as Aliases, no history. HTH..... "newbierms user" wrote: >...

Adding data from multiple cell and linking to a new worksheet
I have data in a sheet with names and amounts due. Like A 500 B 300 A 600 B 300 C 400 C 200 There is a second sheet named summary. I want the totals of each person to appear in the summary sheet. These should be linked cells and any change in data in sheet 1 should be updtaed automatically Create a PivotTable http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-pivot-tables.htm -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Rashmi" <Rashmi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56DC0F3A-8D60-4FE2-B778-3A07790EFE8A@microsoft.com... >I have data in a sheet wi...

using data from another cell
I would like to type a name in one cell(1) then check in list (different column) if the same name is there, and if it is there get a value of another cell locate in the same row where. Can some one help me? Create your second list and use VLOOKUP as follows: Name is typed in: A1 List of names and values in: C1:D10 =VLOOKUP(A1,$C$1:$D$10,2,FALSE) "leo" <reani1996@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OiO5fCTWDHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I would like to type a name in one cell(1) then check in list (different > column) if the same name is there, and if it is t...

data available to MS Access
I'm not able to see the multiple entries of a sharepoint item with a mulit-line text column --I can only access the text of the last entry. With other multi-value columns (attachments, single-line text, numbers, etc), I don't have a problem getting the multiple entries. ...

Data not valid error message
Access02 Have a Report which appears fine. But when you go from DesignView to ReportView it throws error: ~.."the data you entered for this field is not valid"... it doesn't say which field.....I can click thru the message and it reprompts this a few times (probably once per instance of invalid) and then opens fine. it does not do this when the Report opens ; only changing from design view... but it does do it if it is multipage and you need to go to the next page....so needs to be fixed... there's alot of fields and so am wondering how to troubleshoot....hunch is t...

How do I preset data to auto copy to a certain page
I have a Macro that hides and copies visible cells to worksheet 3, but, I have a certain row that needs to wait till the next page break befor copying so that I don't have to manually adjust them. Moving them manually takes 25 minutes 2-3 times a day, if there is a way it would really save me. ...

Finding unique items in data field for pivot tables
I have a huge pivot table I'm trying to create and for a critical item I select I get the following message: A field in your data source has more unique items that can be used in a PivotTable. Microsoft Excel may not be able to create a PivotTable or may create the PivotTable without the data from this field. Any ideas how I can find the duplicates and create the PivotTable with this field? Hello- Based on the message, 'duplicates' is not your problem, *Unique* items is. Pivot tables are limited to 32,500 unique items per field. So if you're analyzing product sales, for...

Excel data completely disappeared
Please can someone help me with a problem I am having. I created a spreadsheet with Excel and included a 'comments' column designed to appear with a mouseover. I saved the spreadsheet and tested it out, everything ok ... until I went to view it the next day and every single comment has disappeared !! Even the red triangles have completely disappeared ... this is really weird. Can anyone throw any light on this ? TIA, cool4cats -- cool4cats ------------------------------------------------------------------------ cool4cats's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?actio...

Chart changing based on change in data source (number of rows/colu
As I see, the data range for charting is normally fixed. I have to produce chart based on chaning rows and/or columns in data source table. Has anybody got some suggestion for me? Bal Ram Bhui - For Excel charts in general, I suggest Jon Peltier's web site: http://www.peltiertech.com/ For dynamic charts, I suggest: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html - Mike Middleton http://www.DecisionToolworks.com Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel "Bal Ram Bhui, Jakarta" <Bal Ram Bhui, Jakarta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD0B5564-26B0-4...

Charting Defaults
I created a macro for creating 70 charts and was wondering how I would know what lines are actually default values and which are not. I would like to reduce the number of lines of code for this application. The following is the code: Sub CreateGraph() 'Application.ScreenUpdating = False Dim ChartNames As Variant Dim SeriesRanges As Variant Dim SeriesCollection As Variant Dim AlarmLevels As Variant 'First Number in Range is First Column(up/down) Next is Row(side/side) ChartNames = Range("'DataCollection'!A1503:BR1503") Serie...

How do I remove an e-mail heading from an Excel file?
In my Excel file, it came up with an e-mail message area as part of the file which I must have accidentally inserted. The e-mail portion needs to be removed, but cannot find how to do this. Any suggestions? Thanks! Hi alstarr Click on the mail button next to the Save icon in the Standard toolbar -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "alstarr" <alstarr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:66522CEC-F128-453B-8EF3-29EA1417E1C3@microsoft.com... > In my Excel file, it came up with an e-mail message area as part of the file > which I must ha...

Large XML data loading?
I have a large (50 million records) XML table data in one of the database that I need to load into another database table. I already have several indexes on the table and due to space issues I can not add any more indexes on the table that includes on the XML field (data.value) I am querying. This query is very slow and can take as long as six days to run. What are my options to improve the performance? Is partition is the way to go? Divide data into smaller portions for loading using row_number function?..... On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:57:36 -0700 (PDT), Bero <robertatnova@gmail....

Excel 97 Graphs/Charts What's happened to the colours?
I had just got to grips with the charting options in Exdcel 97 when the other day, all my nice charts had changed colour, THey are now all wishy washy colours and I can't find out how to change the default colour settings to give me more colourful options. Can anyone help? Maybe you changed the palette in the workbook. Look at Tools, Options, Color. The Reset button will restore the default palette. Before changing anything you might want to save the customized palette in another which you can do from the same dialog. Chart colours in Series are automatically applied from bottom ...

How can I get a combo box to get data based on a text box?
Hi, I have a text box that looks up an ID number from a table. I want the User to type in an ID and then have a combo box on the same form that gives a list of dates that correspond to that ID in the text box. Right now, the combo box displays all the dates from all the ID's. I want it to only show the dates that are linked to that ID. Please help, Thanks Use the text box's AfterUpdate event to modify the combo box's RowSource property: Me.ComboBox1.RowSource = "SELECT ... FROM ... WHERE FieldID=" & Me.TextID & ";" tyler.deutsch@gmail.com wrote...