How to permanently eliminate shadow as default for chart lines?

I find the shadow that appears in my line charts distracting, confusing, and
graphically messy. It also is not welcome in publications. I have to
individually eliminate it from every line, which is annoying. Is there a way
to make a default chart option so that I will no longer get this shadow?
0
bioperson (1)

Yes, you can save your chart as a user-defined chart.  To do so, create the
chart without shadows and fomatted as per your specifications.  Once the
chart looks like you want it to, click on the outside border of the chart
once (make the chart active).  Go to the Standard Toolbar and choose Chart ->
Chart Type.  In the Chart Type dialog box, go to the Custom Types tab.  At
the bottom left side of the box, there is an option that says "Select From"
and it gives you two choices - either User-defined or Built-in.  Choose the
option that says User-defined.  Hit the Add button.  In the Add Custom Chart
Type dialog box, enter a name and description for your chart.  Hit the OK
button and Excel will save your chart.  It will be available to you just like
any of the other standard charts.

You also have the option to set your new chart as the default chart.  To do
so, again in the Chart Type dialog box -> Custom Types tab, hit the "Set as
default type" button.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Molecular bioperson" wrote:

> I find the shadow that appears in my line charts distracting, confusing, and
> graphically messy. It also is not welcome in publications. I have to
> individually eliminate it from every line, which is annoying. Is there a way
> to make a default chart option so that I will no longer get this shadow?

Charting Overdue and Forward Orders
Hi I am trying to chart overdue and forward sales orders on a timeline basis, Any ideas please Alec ...

Chart
Hi Folks - I have a chart based on the following data: State Salary RI 35000 CT 42000 NH 39000 VT 36000 ME 37000 The average salary for all states is 37800. I'd like to chart this data with the states on the x-axis and the salary amount on the y-axis. Here's the catch .. I'd like to chart the average state salary as a fixed horizontal line on the y-axis. Do-able? Thanks, Michael Hi, Use the column next to salary to store the average figure for each State. The simply add an extra data series to the chart and plot as a line. Thi...

out look as default mail Q?????
How do i set-up ms outlook as my default email, using aol.com. as a service provider???? Thanks----------------- "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C97D7A47-990F-4DB1-945B-203570B14D7B@microsoft.com... > How do i set-up ms outlook as my default email, using aol.com. as a > service > provider???? As far as I know AOL doesn't support using Outlook as its mailreader. You'd have to check with them -- unless they allow POP/SMTP connection for e-mail I'm affraid you're out of luck. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNot...

Editing a Chart Directly??
I seem to remember in an Excel version of the past that there was a way for me to edit a chart directly, not using the Chart Wizard or Options screen... I could highlight poritons of the chart and make changes, etc. But I can't seem to make that happen now. I have created a basic chart in Excel 2002 based on some financial data... I simply want to place a legend or have a note area to the right of it and have it say whatever I want to. Right now, the chart behaves kind of like a picture embedded in that i can't change individual aspects of it without that stupid chart wizard ...

Netscape wants to come up even when outlook is default client #2
i have a strange problem. I have users that click on an email link and about every 3 out of 10 times the system will launch netscape messenger instead of outlook 2002( which is set as the default mail client).Any ideas? ...

fonts line by line
I'm doing line by line translation. How can I easily use different fonts for alternating lines? Assuming you're pressing Enter at the end of each line, so each line is a separate paragraph: Define two paragraph styles, one for each font.* In the definition of each style, specify the other style as the "style for following paragraph". *In case you don't know, to define a style, click Format > Styles and Formatting (Word 2003 and earlier) or press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S (Word 2007) to open the Styles pane, then click the New Style button. -- Regards, Jay ...

Accented Characters Split Lines and Paragraphs in Entourage
Has anyone else experienced a problem with accented characters and Entourage? I receive some emails as HTML digests in French. In some cases, the html renders so that there is a new-line split between the accented character of a word and the non-accented character to the left or right of it. For example, one title split like this: Blah blah blah blah blah blah Comit � Another example was in a paragraph like this: Blah blah blah r� vision Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Not sure what is going on as they display fine in other clients like Outlook. Thanks in advance, jg Cross-posted in: ...

setting an older version of office as default
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel My work recently gave me office 2008 to install on my home computer. However as I'm not the only one who uses this machine, I wanted to keep the older version of Office 2004 for the other users and to set Word and Powerpoint from the older version as the default applications for doc and ppt files. The problem is that Office 2008 seems to have set itself as the default and anything I do to change the defaults back to the older version is ignored. e.g. if I use command I on a doc file, set it to open with Word 2004 and...

No default area code
I am using Outlook 2000 on Windows XP. Recently, I noticed that when I enter a new contact's telephone number, my area code is no longer inserted by default. I am not aware of making any changes to Outlook, and I am on a stand alone computer. I have not found any place in tools to correct this problem. What am I missing???? Thanks in advance, Heidi ...

Visio Organization Charts
How do I create an org chart based on Excel data that will automatically update when the data in Excel changes? you would have to write code in the excel sheet to call visio to execute the update, understand though that visio orgchart wizard always starts from zero ane will overwrite whatever manual changes may have been done. al "GTrainer" <GTrainer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4404B889-5504-42B9-8E48-A83C9CE80C01@microsoft.com... > How do I create an org chart based on Excel data that will automatically > update when the data in Excel changes...

BUG?!: PP 2007 does display all "Paste as link" charts of Excel 20
I discovered a bug in Excel / PP 2007 which I can easily reproduce. I have a simple "test" files if somebody wants to take a look. The basic outline is like this. 1) I create some graphs in Excel with considerable distance, so that they are not both visible on the screen simontainously. 2) I copy (by selecting a range containing the graphs), then paste-link (as dynamic graphics) the two chars into PP, each in its separate slide. 3) Now, If I rightclick and choose "update", the one which is not visible in Excel will not be shown! To me, it seems like Excel saves...

Default Bins
Can someone tell me where to find the default bin for a site? (not the Item>Site default bin) This is where you set up the default bin for purchase receipts if the Item Site bin is not assigned. thanks -- Doug go to item quantities maintenance window then choose Bin which would open the Item Site Default Bins -- http://ddelprado.blogspot.com "Doug" wrote: > Can someone tell me where to find the default bin for a site? > > (not the Item>Site default bin) > > This is where you set up the default bin for purchase receipts if the Item > Site bi...

Duplicate charts from 4 worksheets on to one
Is there a way to duplicate 4 different charts, shown separately on different worksheets, on to one worksheet showing all 4 charts, without having to recreate each one of the charts? That's easy, simply copy the chart (click the chart and press the Ctrl and C keys) and paste it (Ctrl and V keys) into the common sheet. -- Toby Erkson Oregon, USA "N~" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EF9E2A5-DF54-44B8-9AC1-513FB51DD38D@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to duplicate 4 different charts, shown separately on different worksheets, on to one...

Chart axis custom number format
I have a chart with X-axis data ranging from 100000 to 8000000 which is milliseconds. Now what I want to do is in the display convert it to minutes. So instaed of saying 100000 I want it to display 16.67 which is 1000000/60000. Is it possible to do simething like this using custom number format? Chris - This is beyond the capabilities of a number format to fix. Insert a column, put converted values in this column, and use this as your X data. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ Chris wrote: > I have a chart w...

Need a base unit of weeks for chart
My options seem to be limited to Days, Months and Years for the X axis. However, the Excel on-line help shows weeks. Is there a way to just show weeks on the axis? -- Rich In a date scale axis, you can't do weeks as the base unit. You can do days, and use 7 for the major unit, but this still does days. You would have to use a category-type axis with categories that reflect a week number, or week ending date, or some other indicator of weeks. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ &q...

SELECT EMBEDDED EXCEL CHART
If I delete cells that include an embedded chart, the chart turns into a line. How do I expand the chart back? Thank you. Click on the "Select Objects" tool on the Drawing toolbar (looks like the NW arrow cursor), select the chart by drawing a box around the line, choose Object from the Format menu, and on the Size tab, choose a non zero value for height. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "lesy99" <lesy99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C17...

Problem adding vertical marker line to line chart
I have a line chart with date values on the x axis. I want to add vertical marker lines on the chart to show when certain events happened (which do not correspond to dates for which there is data in the line chart). I did a websearch and supposedly you can do this with something called the "series method", so I tried that. It worked all right, except where my vertical bar showed up on the chart was nowhere near the date that I'd assigned to it; hence, not very useful. I tried the "error bar method" and the results were even more ghastly and useless. Is there...

How can I set up a pie chart and write in each pie (3-5 sent.)
Is it possible to make a pie chart and have the ability to write 3-5 sentences within each pie piece? What version Publisher? Autoshapes, more Autoshapes, scroll down to the pie...about one third of the way down. You can manipulate this pie and add text, either by right-clicking or by creating text boxes. The shadow can be deleted through the shadow settings. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Just wondering" <Just wondering@discussions.micr...

Line spacing while printing in money
I have money 2000 and just downloaded money 2004's trial version which seems the same. In the print checks option you can only adjust horiz and vertical movement for the entire page. The line spacing between the Payee and the written out dollar amount is very tight. The numerical dollar amount isn't even in line with the written out amount. I am using laser wallet checks with lines. There must be a way to move each line's spacing seperate from each other? thanks Bill ...

Cross-Ref to Excel Chart
When I insert a cross reference to the caption of a linked Excel chart, the cross reference inserts the chart as well as 'Figure 6' or whatever. I can delete the chart from the cross reference, but when I print the document it comes back again. I can't see anything in the field codes causing this, though there is a /* MERGEFORMAT switch that I don't recognise I have a bunch of these linked charts in the document, and not all of them behave like this. It doesn't happen with spreadsheet data that I have linked to the Word doc, only the charts. oops, pr...

footnote separator lines
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hello, <br><br>I'm writing a long document with dozens of footnotes, and on some pages the footnotes appear with a short line separating the footnotes from the text, and on other pages there is no line. I'd like to have the lines all throughout the document. How do I make the lines appear above the footnotes throughout the document? <br><br>Thank you! Have a look here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP051862361033.aspx And use "Help>Send Feedback" to let th...

Outlook 2003
I have noticed that although I address an email with a contact from my address book, when looking in my sent folder some of my mail is missing the To: information. The person on the other end gets the message but it appears as if I Blind copied them not place their name in the To: column. Anyone seen this or have a fix for it? ...

x y Scatter Chart
I need to find out how i can have multiple data points have the same label. Data is: X axis: price, Y axis: Square Footage by closing. I have mulitple house closings per subdivisions and i need each subdivision to have its own color (not a different color per closing). any thoughts? ...

How to enable a default dissabled button
On selecting particular item from a tree view I want to enable a button which is on the same page. By default it is dissabled. But when the user select a particular item it should be enabled. Which function of Cbutton to use to do this or I have to write a customized function to do this >On selecting particular item from a tree view I want to enable a >button which is on the same page. By default it is dissabled. But when >the user select a particular item it should be enabled. Which function >of Cbutton to use to do this or I have to write a customized function >to do this A...

Chart
Hi, i have a chart in a report. is it possible to change parameters with vba of this chart ? When i call Me.Diagramm1 don�t have the right type I need something like that Dim chart As Chart chart = Me.Diagramm1 But i don�t have the Chart Object. How can i fix this ? thx a lot Martin ...