How To: Link worksheet data to pre-existing chart tables

I have a powerpoint presentation which has all the required excel data
charts in it already. Currently to update the charts I need to pick the
appropriate data out of seperate excel worksheets and manually input the
data to the appropriate charts that generate the charts. How do I link the
worksheets with the supporting data directly to the appropriate cells in the
excel tables that are used to generate the charts. I would like it so that
when new data is entered on the excel worksheets, the appropriate cell data
is transferred to the excel tables in the powerpoint lecture that generate
the chart stats. Confused??? well so am I, so any advice or insight would be
greatly appreciated on how I go about automating this process so that when I
go to give the powerpoint lecture, I automatically have the latest data
being presented on the charts.

0
fitz1 (7)

Do the charts in Excel, copy them, and use paste special-link to put
them into PowerPoint. Update the chart data, and the charts
automatically update. Open the PowerPoint file, and the linked charts
also update.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Fitz wrote:
> I have a powerpoint presentation which has all the required excel data
> charts in it already. Currently to update the charts I need to pick the
> appropriate data out of seperate excel worksheets and manually input the
> data to the appropriate charts that generate the charts. How do I link the
> worksheets with the supporting data directly to the appropriate cells in the
> excel tables that are used to generate the charts. I would like it so that
> when new data is entered on the excel worksheets, the appropriate cell data
> is transferred to the excel tables in the powerpoint lecture that generate
> the chart stats. Confused??? well so am I, so any advice or insight would be
> greatly appreciated on how I go about automating this process so that when I
> go to give the powerpoint lecture, I automatically have the latest data
> being presented on the charts.

Of course, you said "pre-existing", so there's probably not enough time
to go back and do it the easy way. This Microsoft knowledge base article
shows how to update an embedded MS Graph data sheet from an Excel
worksheet. It might be just as much work to correlate each chart to the
corresponding Excel data source.

  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q267974

- Jon
-------

Jon Peltier wrote:
> Do the charts in Excel, copy them, and use paste special-link to put
> them into PowerPoint. Update the chart data, and the charts
> automatically update. Open the PowerPoint file, and the linked charts
> also update.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> Fitz wrote:
>
>> I have a powerpoint presentation which has all the required excel data
>> charts in it already. Currently to update the charts I need to pick
>> the appropriate data out of seperate excel worksheets and manually
>> input the data to the appropriate charts that generate the charts. How
>> do I link the worksheets with the supporting data directly to the
>> appropriate cells in the excel tables that are used to generate the
>> charts. I would like it so that when new data is entered on the excel
>> worksheets, the appropriate cell data is transferred to the excel
>> tables in the powerpoint lecture that generate the chart stats.
>> Confused??? well so am I, so any advice or insight would be greatly
>> appreciated on how I go about automating this process so that when I
>> go to give the powerpoint lecture, I automatically have the latest
>> data being presented on the charts.

When you paste an excel workbook into a powerpoint lecture, where does it
reside? so it can be used to update charts.

0
fitz1 (7)
10/24/2005 8:59:11 PM
When you paste the whole thing in, it resides as an embedded object in the
PowerPoint presentation. It's not easier to do it this way than to keep two separate
files.

- Jon
-------

Fitz wrote:

> When you paste an excel workbook into a powerpoint lecture, where does it
> reside? so it can be used to update charts.

How chart time scale x-axis with another date serie
Hello all. I have this problem, I will need to create this chart that I don't know how to. Serie 1 is below which needs to be time scaled Date Count 1/1/2006 12 1/2/2006 3 1/3/2006 5 2/1/2006 18 2/3/2006 4 2/18/2006 9 4/1/2006 18 7/4/2006 38 Serie 2 - needs to plot the three dates in serie 1's time scaled X-Axis with symbols. 1/31/2006 2/18/2006 4/2/2006 I will look something like you have a line of count on a time-scaled chart, with 3 dates point in the x-axis. Please ...

CRM / SQL Reporting Co-Exist
We are trying to run Microsoft CRM and SQL Server Reporting on the same server. We have experiemented with several approaches but with no luck. Either SQL Server Reporting's Report Manager will not run with an error that session state in disenabled in ASP.Net or I get an error that there is a problem with the assembly Microsoft.CRM.Platform.Types. Does anyone know where I could find a document on how to make CRM and SQL Reporting co-exist on the same or server. It must be possible since many people run Small Business Server 2000 or 2003. Regards, George Vessels ...

Names, Addresses In A Table...
I Am Putting Names And Addresses In A Table For A Directory I Am trying To Put Together, 6 Rows And 3 Columns. 18 Companies To A Page, I Will Have Approx. 300 Pages When Complete. My Question Is: Is There Any Way To Make Them Go In Alphabetical order By Name Of Company? I Am Very Greatful To Anyone Who May Be Able To Give Me Some Help. Thank You very Very Much. PS: I Am New To This Kind Of Software And Would Like To Say To MS PUBLISHER...You Are Very RUDE!! This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_01E6_01C43075.4641A2B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf...

Linking Combo box to pivot table?
Hi All, I have a pivot table which has teams on the left, months on the top and a count of the calls in the data area. What I would love is that if I could have a combo box on a worksheet which when I select a team from its list it only shows me that teams data in the pivot table. Is this possible please?? -- Adam ----------- Windows 98 + Office Pro 97 You could move Team to the page area of the pivot table. Select a team, and the pivot table will only show its data. Adam wrote: > Hi All, > > I have a pivot table which has teams on the left, months on the top and a > c...

Copy field data to multiple places

Updating a table from Form Entry
I have a form that pops up when a user clicks a button to Print said form. The form is for the user to enter the name of the table and any footnotes for that particular form, this form is connected to a table that stores this information for everytime the report is printed. THe problem I having is that when the user enters the information and clicks [PRINT] the report is blank, when I open the table the info the user has entered has not updated onto the table yet. Is there a way so that when the user clicks [PRINT] the footnote table will update BEFORE the report prints? Larry -- Neve...

Pivot Tables & changing data
Hi - I have never used pivot tables in Excel before so hopefully what I am going to ask is possible and not too complicated for me.... :o) I am working with Excel 2003. I have a pivot table already set up and the information is pulling data from a row titled "sum of Subscriber". I added new data in a new column from the main spreadsheet and I would like to pull the data from there. Its titled "Adj Subscriber". Is it possible to switch it? If so, how? Thanks, Anna Marie Anna wrote: > Hi - I have never used pivot tables in Excel before so hopefully what I am &...

referencing to worksheet names in macro for each new worksheet inserted
Hi I created a code to insert new worksheets and rename them according t values on the new worksheet itself. Say in Cell D1, i have th worksheet name. My question is when i want to refer to this worksheet in subsequen coding, how should i code it? For eg, How should i write the ???? for Sheets("????").select? Would creatin the a variable to store the names help? Thanks in advance Ken -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com After inserting your new worksheet set it's name equal to a variable. For example SHEETS.ADD VWORKSHEET = ACTIVESHEET.NAME This method ...

filtering account numbers from a worksheet
I'm new to excel. I have created a spreadsheet containing my newspaper's subscriber list, containing account numbers and addresses. I want to merge another list of subscribers(with account numbers and addresses) with the first list to scrub those addresses, etc. from that list. Can anyone advise me? Hi not completely sure what you're trying to do. But as a starting point: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#InOneNotOther http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#ExtractingCommon -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany fouraker wrote: > I'm new to excel. I...

how to edit my x-axis data on a line graph
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel my x axis data on my graph is just showing numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11.... and it is suppose to show the years. I can't figure out how to change these values ...

SOP History tables
We are trying to determine how some of the fields in the SOP30200 and SOP30300 tables are populated when contracts are invoiced since we are working on a conversion. The fields are: SOP30200 CUSTNMBR -we assume this is coming from the Bill To Customer Number on the Contract Header (SVC00600) PRBTADCD -we assume this is coming from the Bill To Address Code on the Contract Header (SVC00600) PRSTADCD (this is supposed to be a Ship To Address Code but we aren’t sure where it’s coming from since you don’t enter a main address code on the header – we don’t use the Sites button – most of the...

Data from Access query to Excel
To pull data from an Access 2003 database, I have created the queries in Access, then import into Excel. The problem is that all the numbers that are pulled into Excel are text and need to convert them into numbers to run formulas on. I have converted a few sheets by hand, but, some have will over 50,000 rows. Is there a function to select all number colums (the colums are the same through out the sheets) and convert? Thanks There are instructions here for converting text to numbers: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html You can select all the columns, and only the num...

Pivot table fields missing on all computers
I have Excel 2007 installed on two computers. I also have Excel 2010 beta installed on one of the computers. I am unable to create a pivot table on ANY of them. None will show the field list. All copies of Excel work fine in all other aspects. I have searched the net for solutions and found many others have the same problem but few suggestions to fix it. Many questions never got any response at all. I did find a reference to try removing the .xlb file from the XLStart folder. I did, with no results. I have done all the proper show/hide clicks. I even tried using the ...

How to delete duplicate data
Hi, I am using excel to consolidate monthly room booking data. I have a date column and time column. May I know how to to delete those rows which contains duplicate data with same date stated in the date columnand and same time range in the time column? Thank you. Data>filter>advanced filter, unique records only and copy to another location -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com (Remove ^^ from email) "PL" <PL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F45DAE2B-252D-4E17-81D8-0F4C060BCB21@m...

Update Existing Purchase Orders with New Exchange Rate
Hello, I have existing Purchase Orders in Great Plains 8.0 were some of the line items have been received is there a way to change the exchange rate for the remaining line items and any new line items added? Thanks, Brian M. Database Administrator ...

Compressed Outlined Data Copy
I need to copy only the data that is compressed in Grouped rows and not all the rows when they are expanded. When I copy and paste the compressed data, I get all the data that is within the group, and not just the compressed data. For example: I need just the following (which is compressed): Ship $ Line $5,278.00 CYP Total $133,122.00 TI Total $34,660,135.00 Vic Total $34,798,535.00 Grand Total when I copy it (D2:E17, but only showing 5 lines because of the compression), it pastes 16 lines: Ship $ Line $123.00 CYP $44.00 CYP $4,444.00 CYP $667.00 CYP $5,278.00 CYP Total $123,124.00 TI $...

Using a variable for a chart limit
Since I got instant help on my last query, is there any way to use a cell reference as an axis minimum or maximum in format axis? It seems impossible, but there is a lot of experience out there. Thanks in advance. -- Vince F Hi, See Jon's information http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html Cheers Andy Vince F wrote: > Since I got instant help on my last query, is there any way to use a cell > reference as an axis minimum or maximum in format axis? It seems impossible, > but there is a lot of experience out there. Thanks in advance. -- Andy Pop...

inverting data #2
Please help, I'm stuck! I conducted a survey where respondants each gave answers to 30 questions using a Likert scale i.e. they answered either 1,2,3,4 or 5 to each question. The data is in the following form: Question # q1 q2 q3 q4 q5 1 2 4 2 1 2 2 4 1 2 1 4 3 4 4 2 1 4 4 2 3 2 2 5 5 2 3 4 5 3 My problem is that half of the questions were asked in a negative direction to avoid possible response bias. For the answers to these questions, I need to reverse the answers. If the repondant answered 1, I want to record 5, if 2 then 4, if 3 then 3, if 4 then 2, if 5 then 1. Is there an...

Getting an UnBound control value into a Table field??????
I have a form that calculates a production rate in "parts per hour". This form needs to be able to differentiate between Line work, Cutter work, Side work, and Blister work. I created a drop down list for selecting the "Study Type" as listed above. I then created a text box for each "study type". When I select the "study type" each text box checks to see if the selection applies to it and makes the calculation if it does apply. The code for the "Line" study is as follows: =IIf([StudyType]="Line",2700?/[SecondsPerPart])...

Linking Drop-down list to worksheets
I need 20 dropdown list on the worksheet. some of drop-down lists has the same values. I need a list thats has one set of names and worksheet has another set of names. Here is a example want I need. LIST names Worksheet names Red - Black 770rb Black-White 770bw My list will have 15 items in each list. When user click on the color it would take them to that worksheet. What is best way to do this? ...

Manual for beginners -- Charts with Excel
You may find useful a training manual I wrote for making charts in Excel. The manual is for beginners to intermediate users. [So, no VBA and dynamic ranges and stuff]. Great for teaching college students or self-mastering the Excel Charts facility. In any case, the book is free at http://www.vgupta.com VJ ...

Retreiving data
We move mailbox on a new server but somethimes we receive the following message: "outlook is retrieving data from the OLD exchange server" Can anyone help me -- Dambo On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 01:21:01 -0800, Damb0 <Damb0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We move mailbox on a new server but somethimes we receive the following >message: "outlook is retrieving data from the OLD exchange server" > >Can anyone help me What steps did you do to decommission the old server? If you give us an idea of the version of the old and new ones we can post the right help ...

How do I read in a record / row from a table.
Hi, I have a form where I need to read in the parameter setting for the current user. I know I can use DLookup but I have to lookup about 14 different parameters off a single row. But that seems quite inefficient. I need to read the record and extract the values from the record / row. Thanks. -- Dennis Dennis Here's one possible approach ... there are many ... You could create a form that is bound to that record, and make the form hidden. You can refer to controls on the form with: Forms!YourForm!YourControl Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft ...

How to change a bar to line in a combo chart?
I am currently using Excel & PPt 2000 and cannot figure out how to control which rows of data are displayed as a bar or line in a combunation chart. In PPt it combo bar/line chart defaults to the last row only as a line and in Excel it seems to have half as a bar/ half as a line. Any suggestions? In the chart, select the series you want changed. Then, select Chart | Chart Type... and pick the desired type+subtype. When a single series is selected the chart type choice applies only to that one series. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-...