how to highlight a cell so I know which point on the chart it is?

Hi, I am curious to see if anybody could create a visual relationship between 
a point on the chart and the data cell. Let's say if we have 1000 points on 
the chart, when I point to one of them--it will show the values--but I still 
have no idea where the point actually comes from. Or on the other hand, when 
I try to hightlight some cells using formats, the best thing is to see the 
points on the chart also being highlighted in some way. 

Thanks for any hints there.
0
Windson (3)
8/1/2006 6:47:02 PM
excel.charting 18370 articles. 0 followers. Follow

4 Replies
649 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 8

Windson:
I am not sure whether I can help you here. If you select a data point and 
you move it Excel pops up a Goal Seek with the cell reference of the data 
point.
Another way to visualize is to copy yr data column (as values).  The copied 
values you can conditionally format (>Format/Conditional Format...) in 
comparison to the data series (if(A<>B, "make cell B yellow","") for 
instance).  Now if you move a point by hand the cell that changes turns 
yellow, triggered by the conditional format.  Write down the cell reference, 
and restore by Ctrl-Z to move the data point back in place.
HTH,
Henk

"Windson" wrote:

> Hi, I am curious to see if anybody could create a visual relationship between 
> a point on the chart and the data cell. Let's say if we have 1000 points on 
> the chart, when I point to one of them--it will show the values--but I still 
> have no idea where the point actually comes from. Or on the other hand, when 
> I try to hightlight some cells using formats, the best thing is to see the 
> points on the chart also being highlighted in some way. 
> 
> Thanks for any hints there.
0
HEK (135)
8/2/2006 9:41:59 PM
HEK:

Thanks. Both ways defenitely help to find the reference cell of the data 
point. And can you hightlight data points on a chart by highlighting the 
reference cells?

Windson


"HEK" wrote:

> Windson:
> I am not sure whether I can help you here. If you select a data point and 
> you move it Excel pops up a Goal Seek with the cell reference of the data 
> point.
> Another way to visualize is to copy yr data column (as values).  The copied 
> values you can conditionally format (>Format/Conditional Format...) in 
> comparison to the data series (if(A<>B, "make cell B yellow","") for 
> instance).  Now if you move a point by hand the cell that changes turns 
> yellow, triggered by the conditional format.  Write down the cell reference, 
> and restore by Ctrl-Z to move the data point back in place.
> HTH,
> Henk
> 
> "Windson" wrote:
> 
> > Hi, I am curious to see if anybody could create a visual relationship between 
> > a point on the chart and the data cell. Let's say if we have 1000 points on 
> > the chart, when I point to one of them--it will show the values--but I still 
> > have no idea where the point actually comes from. Or on the other hand, when 
> > I try to hightlight some cells using formats, the best thing is to see the 
> > points on the chart also being highlighted in some way. 
> > 
> > Thanks for any hints there.
0
Windson (3)
8/11/2006 3:32:58 PM
Windson:
Sorry to be late with my answer - I was on vacation.
I believe this desire can be fulfilled, yes.  

In the table you can simply use conditional formatting, to give the cell an 
outstanding colour, a bold border or any formatting effect you want to apply. 
 Simply select from the menu Format/Conditional Formatting...

In the graph: create two new data series from yr original data set, both 
with IF statements with complementary conditions.  Example: say you want to 
highlight values >100.  Yr original data series in A, set up the two series 
in B and C.  B as IF(A>100,A,NA()) and C IF(A<=100,NA(),A).  Don't plot A (I 
assume XY scatter chart), but B and C instead.  The NA() values are ignored, 
and the two series complement each other.  If u hv only one value >100, this 
will appear as different colour.  You can change the marker.  Of course this 
principle can be adopted to other ways (e.g., a circle around an data point t 
highlight, or an arrow pointing to a particular point.)
HTH,
Henk

"Windson" wrote:

> HEK:
> 
> Thanks. Both ways defenitely help to find the reference cell of the data 
> point. And can you hightlight data points on a chart by highlighting the 
> reference cells?
> 
> Windson
> 
> 
> "HEK" wrote:
> 
> > Windson:
> > I am not sure whether I can help you here. If you select a data point and 
> > you move it Excel pops up a Goal Seek with the cell reference of the data 
> > point.
> > Another way to visualize is to copy yr data column (as values).  The copied 
> > values you can conditionally format (>Format/Conditional Format...) in 
> > comparison to the data series (if(A<>B, "make cell B yellow","") for 
> > instance).  Now if you move a point by hand the cell that changes turns 
> > yellow, triggered by the conditional format.  Write down the cell reference, 
> > and restore by Ctrl-Z to move the data point back in place.
> > HTH,
> > Henk
> > 
> > "Windson" wrote:
> > 
> > > Hi, I am curious to see if anybody could create a visual relationship between 
> > > a point on the chart and the data cell. Let's say if we have 1000 points on 
> > > the chart, when I point to one of them--it will show the values--but I still 
> > > have no idea where the point actually comes from. Or on the other hand, when 
> > > I try to hightlight some cells using formats, the best thing is to see the 
> > > points on the chart also being highlighted in some way. 
> > > 
> > > Thanks for any hints there.
0
HEK (135)
8/27/2006 3:33:01 PM
Henk,
Thanks for the idea. I tried similar ways before. The only problem is you 
have to use different series (or columns) of source data. So if you have ten 
differnet groups to highlight in distinctive ways it's a little 
time-consuming. What I am seeking for is a more automatic way using a single 
column as Y values. Probably I need macro to do so, but I am not good at it 
now. 

Thanks again and hope you enjoy your vacation.

Windson

"HEK" wrote:

> Windson:
> Sorry to be late with my answer - I was on vacation.
> I believe this desire can be fulfilled, yes.  
> 
> In the table you can simply use conditional formatting, to give the cell an 
> outstanding colour, a bold border or any formatting effect you want to apply. 
>  Simply select from the menu Format/Conditional Formatting...
> 
> In the graph: create two new data series from yr original data set, both 
> with IF statements with complementary conditions.  Example: say you want to 
> highlight values >100.  Yr original data series in A, set up the two series 
> in B and C.  B as IF(A>100,A,NA()) and C IF(A<=100,NA(),A).  Don't plot A (I 
> assume XY scatter chart), but B and C instead.  The NA() values are ignored, 
> and the two series complement each other.  If u hv only one value >100, this 
> will appear as different colour.  You can change the marker.  Of course this 
> principle can be adopted to other ways (e.g., a circle around an data point t 
> highlight, or an arrow pointing to a particular point.)
> HTH,
> Henk
> 
> "Windson" wrote:
> 
> > HEK:
> > 
> > Thanks. Both ways defenitely help to find the reference cell of the data 
> > point. And can you hightlight data points on a chart by highlighting the 
> > reference cells?
> > 
> > Windson
> > 
> > 
> > "HEK" wrote:
> > 
> > > Windson:
> > > I am not sure whether I can help you here. If you select a data point and 
> > > you move it Excel pops up a Goal Seek with the cell reference of the data 
> > > point.
> > > Another way to visualize is to copy yr data column (as values).  The copied 
> > > values you can conditionally format (>Format/Conditional Format...) in 
> > > comparison to the data series (if(A<>B, "make cell B yellow","") for 
> > > instance).  Now if you move a point by hand the cell that changes turns 
> > > yellow, triggered by the conditional format.  Write down the cell reference, 
> > > and restore by Ctrl-Z to move the data point back in place.
> > > HTH,
> > > Henk
> > > 
> > > "Windson" wrote:
> > > 
> > > > Hi, I am curious to see if anybody could create a visual relationship between 
> > > > a point on the chart and the data cell. Let's say if we have 1000 points on 
> > > > the chart, when I point to one of them--it will show the values--but I still 
> > > > have no idea where the point actually comes from. Or on the other hand, when 
> > > > I try to hightlight some cells using formats, the best thing is to see the 
> > > > points on the chart also being highlighted in some way. 
> > > > 
> > > > Thanks for any hints there.
0
Windson (3)
9/1/2006 3:29:02 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How can I enter a cell in excel with hotkey or combination off key
F2 ?? -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "theo passier" <theo passier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8DA5E96E-8A5B-43F2-A15B-210C14A94E0F@microsoft.com... > ...

Save file with cell name
Hi In cell A1 i have =cell"filename"A1 giving me the I want to run macro that will save new file with data in A1 Example. tab named wc0701. new file saved as wc0701 Any idea's regards -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-new/200601/1 You could just drop the formula in A1 and use the worksheet name itself. with activesheet .parent.saveas filename:="C:\" & .name & ".xls", ...rest of options end with "Brian Thompson via OfficeKB.com" wrote: > > Hi > In cell A1 i have =cell"f...

Position Chartobjects in Chart sheet
I have moved from Excel 2003 to 2007. When moving an XY scatter chartobject from an existing chart sheet to another chartsheet using Set cho = ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1) cho.Chart.Location where:=xlLocationAsObject, name:=chForStore.name I get an error message saying something like "Dimensions not valid for chart type". Further, when having located a number of chartobjects in a chart sheet Itry to position them nicely. I start at the source Chart sheet ChartArea.Top = 0 and ChartArea.Left = 0 but the charts located in the top row invariably appear to ...

Merging and formatting a cell in workbook_open
Hi, I have a workbook_open event, in which Im unprotecting a sheet, copy a cell's contents (A3 Cell) in that unprotected sheet and paste it in to cell J12 of the same sheet and then protecting back the sheet. Idea seeking - Im quite wary of my VB project password being "hacked" in to. Plainly speaking I dont have much problem if they see the code etc but in the workbook_open event the password of the sheet is given which I would not like to disclose. Its because I use the same password for protecting other sheets and the workbook itself. I understand that worksheet passwords ca...

Mesothelioma : Dangerous Malignant Cancer That Everyone Should Know It
Mesothelioma : Dangerous Malignant Cancer That Everyone Should Know It A Dangerous Cancer that darken many great people lives who worked with asbestos , check all of the details about mesothelima secrets at http://mesotheliomabyasbestos.blogspot.com/2010/02/mesothelioma-malignant-cancer-overview.html Contents : Mesothelioma Overview Mesothelioma Symptoms Mesothelioma Screening Mesothelioma Staging Mesothelioma Dark Day ...

Non-Printing Cells
Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to format individual cells so that they do not print. I do not want to hide rows or columns as I want to be able to see the contents on the screen. Thanks Andrew, Almost what you want... Use a custom number format of 3 semicolons ;;; The content of the cell will appear in the formula bar but not on the screen. Regards, Jim Cone San Francisco, CA "Andrew Mackenzie" <a_d_mackenzie@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OXsY9zBZEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to format individual cells so...

How to change cell color based on content
Hi, hope someone can help me. I don't use Excel much, but I'm creating a spreadsheet that keeps track of ticket sales for a charity I volunteer for. Anyway, what I want to do is to make the cells stand out for those that still owe money, either because a check is forthcoming or because they ordered by credit card. I want the credit card orders to show up with a different color (eg YELLOW) than those who are fully paid. I want the forthcoming check orders to show up in a different color (eg RED). So I have a column with payment type that is either Cash, Check, or Credit Card....

Cell value not recognize in an expression
=SUMIF(B21:B24,">=C18",C21:C24 Any reason why the cell value of C18 would not be recognized, if I replace the value of c18 in the expression, it works but putting the value of C18 as a reference in the expression give me zero as an answer. Hi jaclh2o! Use: =SUMIF(B21:B24,">="&C18,C21:C24) -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au "jaclh2o" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10CA0900-E305-4144-A0B4-16B092EFFD73@microsoft.com... > =SUMIF(B21:B24,">=C18",C21:C24) &g...

Area chart
Hi all, I have been creating graphs using the stacked area type to display data for data by year. However I have some years that have missing data. This then plots as zero. I have been to tools, options, charts and clicked interpolate for missing values but this doesn`t seem to work for the stacked area chart...has anyone else found this? Has anyone found an acceptable work around? I`d be interested if anybosy has found anything similar, thanks in advance for any help. what do you want it to plot? "Lasci" wrote: > Hi all, > > I have been creating graphs using the ...

Cell format protection
I have certain cells locked in a protected worksheet. The spreadsheet is used by others who input data in unlocked cells and return to me. My problem is that when they copy & paste something, they are eliminating the formats I have all ready set (border, allow numbers only, etc.). Is there any way to prevent this, while still maintaining the protection of the rest of the locked cells? ...

Text box embedded in xl chart doesn't print
Hi, I have a text box that I would like to overlay on a chart to hide the contents. I've selected the chart before drawing the text box to ensure it is embedded, but when I print to a pdf, it appears that the text box gets resized to sit at the top of the chart. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this? Thx ...

\\.\backofficestorage\domain is pointed to wrong domain
In setting up Exchange to run through ISA, I somehow screwed up the domain listing of Exchange. Eversince the virtual directory for exchange local path has been moved to \\.\BackOfficeStorage\WRONG\MBX Does anyone know why this would happen, and how I can change this back? I tried the obvious which was edit the path to be \\.\BackOfficeStorage\CORRECT\MBX but that didn't work so well. I then deleted all virtual directories, and edited the metada.XML file to set the value to 0 (KB888033) Restarted services and the directories recreated. However Exchange local path is still wron...

Org Chart Templated
When building an org chart, name and title automatically show up, but I would like to add other details such as salary; how do I do that? I tried the shape data, but can't get it to display on the actual shape. I was thinking that building my own template with the data that I wanted would be useful, but I can't figure out how to do that. Please help! "Jacqueline" <Jacqueline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E94014B-7ECB-4412-8006-A71AA31F9B91@microsoft.com... > When building an org chart, name and title automatically show up, but I > would ...

Delete accounts numbers ftom the chart of accounts
I would like to know how to delete or reset my accounts number in the chart of accounts in once in Microsoft Accounting profesional 2008 MA, this is a GP forum. You might want to try a MAP forum. Good luck, Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com ...

Add chart
Hi, Can anybody find what is wrong with this code? It will just make a empty chartobject. I believe the ranges are ok, it probably is some bad syntax or object reference... The code should make a chart with two series of xlColumnClustered and one serie of xlLineMarkers. Thank you /tskogstrom --------------------------------------- CODE: Sub UppdateChartCF() Dim cht As Chart Set cht = Sheet1.ChartObjects("R_CF").Chart On Error Resume Next '(if no chartobject) Sheet1.ChartObjects("R_CF").Delete On Error GoTo EndCode 'Left and Top location = named ranges With Shee...

excel chart size using inside positioning
Hi, I am trying to standardize the sizes of multiple embedded charts so I can copy the charts into Powerpoint. I can set the PlotArea ..Left,.Height,.Width,.Top numbers, but the left inside gridline of the chart still shifts a little inside the PlotArea, which I assume is related to the read only InsideHeight,InsideWidth, InsideLeft, InsideTop numbers. If you want to set the constant dimensions of the inside area, does anyone know a way to iterate through each chart to make these adjustments? Anyone responding to this may first want to check if there are any responses to the multi-pos...

Confine results of web query to one cell
How do you confine the results of a web query to one cell in Excel 2004? Under Excel 2004 a web query always seems to use up two cells in a given column no matter what data range properties I set. I never had a problem with this in Excel 2000. ...

can I sort colored cells?
Hi, Can I sort a column that some cells are colored "red" and and some "yellow" in the nearby columns seperately via VBA?. Please provide a sample code that does the job. Thank you for your time. JACK Yes ! with this code (paste in a module VBA) Function MyColor(CkCell As Object) Application.Volatile True MyColor = Abs(CkCell.Interior.ColorIndex) ' not for the conditionnal color !!! End Function In a diff�rent colum, you type = mycolor(A1) and you sort by this nex column Bye -- ....Patrick Quoi que vous fassiez, faites le bien . Mail: http://cerbermail.com/...

Chart non consecutive data
Is it possible to chart non-consecutive data. I haven't been successful in my attempts so far. Data is in same row, ie. row 4; columns needed are H4 and J4 (need to be stacked), next series is K4 , L4 & M4. Unfortunately, I can not rearrange the cells to make this easier. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated. I haven't done that much charting with Excel (2003). TIA XL doesn't stack data in the same series. It stacks one series on top of the previous. You can simulate the effect you want as follows. Select H4:J4 and create a stacked column chart. In step ...

Celling formatting failing
Hi All, I am having an unsual behaviour and am trying to track the cause. In excel 2000 I am entering the date 17/12/1969 in a cell e.g. B2 then a new date 17/12/2004 below it in C2 then lastly third a date 17/12/2005 in D2. I then highlight the 3 cells which show the date exactly as entered above. I go to Format > Cells and change on the number tab the category from General to date. I then select the desired type (in my case being 17-Dec-69 in the first dates case). The behaviour I see is that the Sample preview above the types field does NOT change to match the selection. Nor does it ...

Excel log/log chart
Using the previous version of Microsoft Excel (Excel '95), I was easily able to produce a log/lock chart, using the scatter chart as a starting point, without any problem whatsoever. This included placing two and more series on the same chart. With the new version that is installed on my machine (which is Excel 97), I can no longer complete this rather simple task. Does anyone know how to produce a log/log chart of two and more sets of values (using X-Y values)? My Desire Is to Have One Set of X-Y values with another set (A-B) of values as well as a third set of values (M-N) p...

help on macro for making chart
Hi, i want to make a plot using macro where I want my x-axis to be the value from the same column but random rows for example R18C3,R19C3,R21C3,R23C3,R25C3,R27C3 ( only rows are changing) and my Y-axis should also be something like this R18C5,R19C5,R21C5,R23C5,R25C5,R27C5 ( only rows are changing) For one plot It is working but i do not know how i can plot for other columns... the code looks like this Sub Macro2() ' ' Macro2 Macro ' Macro recorded 3/30/2007 by Roger ' ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+m ' Charts.Add ActiveChart.ChartType = xlXYScatterLines ...

Highlighting Filtered column
I have a basic filter on an excel sheet. I would like to highlight the column in which the filter was selected. Can anyone think of a simple way to do this without having to resort to Macros (there are security issues at work, hence Macros can be awkward)? My first line of thought is to somehow detect when the filter has been selected and on which column and then use conditional formatting to highlight the column. However, I can't find a way to easily detect the filter status. Presumably in VB code I can find the filter and the appropriate property but I would rather not use a Macro. Tha...

How to copy a chart between workbooks?
Another guy in my office has a nice chart which I want to use in my own weekly report. He has it posted on a shared network drive. How do I copy his chart into my workbook? I'm using Excel 2003. Thanks in advance, David Portwood Open the workbook he posted then select the Chart or Chart Sheet and Chart>Chart Type>Custom Types>User Defined>Add this to the List of User Defined Charts. This will add the Chart Type to your xl8galry.xls workbook which you didn't even know you had<g> You then use that chart type as your base for your reports. Gord Dibben MS Exce...

Stacked Column Chart #4
Date Event type Total 01-01-2006 A 10 01-01-2006 B 15 01-01-2006 C 12 02-01-2006 A 5 02-01-2006 B 7 02-02-2006 C 8 03-02-2006 A 5 03-02-2006 B 15 I would to generate a automatic stacked column (without having to mak manual selections) with the example above.The final result should b the date in the x axis and the column composed by the event typ (A,B,C) with the respective total. Note: the information is displayed as shown above. How can i do this? Thanks, Regards Andr -- vilacov ----------------------------------------------------------------------- vilacova's Profile: http://www.ex...