How to enlarge stacked chart plot area

In most chart types, I can grab a corner and the chart will expand as I pull
it.  Not so with 100% stacked chart.  How can I make it larger than 1/4 of
the page?

TIA
Carole
0
CaroleO (115)

Is it a pivot chart? The inability to resize the plot area of pivot
charts is yet another reason I rarely use them.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Carole O wrote:

> In most chart types, I can grab a corner and the chart will expand as I pull
> it.  Not so with 100% stacked chart.  How can I make it larger than 1/4 of
> the page?
>
> TIA
> Carole
Hi, Jon -

No it isn't a pivot chart.  This is what I'm working with.  I just want to
make the chart part bigger.

FRESCO	VINYL	STICK ANYWHERE	CANVAS	CUSTOM	MISC
 PROD	7867	63	0	0	48
 SCRAP	1216	0	0	0	0

TIA, Carole O

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> Is it a pivot chart? The inability to resize the plot area of pivot
> charts is yet another reason I rarely use them.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> Carole O wrote:
>
> > In most chart types, I can grab a corner and the chart will expand as I pull
> > it.  Not so with 100% stacked chart.  How can I make it larger than 1/4 of
> > the page?
> >
> > TIA
> > Carole

0
CaroleO (115)
8/2/2005 1:40:20 PM
There's nothing special about your data. I just pasted it into a
worksheet, created two stacked column charts (one embedded chart, one
standalone chart sheet), and I could resize the charts at will.

Has your chart been protected?

- Jon
-------

Carole O wrote:

> Hi, Jon -
>
> No it isn't a pivot chart.  This is what I'm working with.  I just want to
> make the chart part bigger.
>
> FRESCO	VINYL	STICK ANYWHERE	CANVAS	CUSTOM	MISC
>  PROD	7867	63	0	0	48
>  SCRAP	1216	0	0	0	0
>
> TIA, Carole O
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>

>>Is it a pivot chart? The inability to resize the plot area of pivot
>>charts is yet another reason I rarely use them.
>>
>>- Jon
>>-------
>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>Peltier Technical Services
>>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>http://PeltierTech.com/
>>_______
>>

>>Carole O wrote:
>>

>>>In most chart types, I can grab a corner and the chart will expand as I pull
>>>it.  Not so with 100% stacked chart.  How can I make it larger than 1/4 of
>>>the page?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>Carole

Jon - I thought I stated that I'm working with the 100% 3D chart - and see
now that I didn't.  It's the 3D part that isn't resizing.  Sorry for wasting
your time earlier!

Carole O

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> There's nothing special about your data. I just pasted it into a
> worksheet, created two stacked column charts (one embedded chart, one
> standalone chart sheet), and I could resize the charts at will.
>
> Has your chart been protected?
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> Carole O wrote:
>
> > Hi, Jon -
> >
> > No it isn't a pivot chart.  This is what I'm working with.  I just want to
> > make the chart part bigger.
> >
> > FRESCO	VINYL	STICK ANYWHERE	CANVAS	CUSTOM	MISC
> >  PROD	7867	63	0	0	48
> >  SCRAP	1216	0	0	0	0
> >
> > TIA, Carole O
> >
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >

> >>Is it a pivot chart? The inability to resize the plot area of pivot
> >>charts is yet another reason I rarely use them.
> >>
> >>- Jon
> >>-------
> >>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >>Peltier Technical Services
> >>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >>http://PeltierTech.com/
> >>_______

0
CaroleO (115)
8/2/2005 6:35:14 PM
I like 3D charts even less than Pivot Charts. Several of the 3D chart
types, including the surface and contour charts, like to enforce a
"square" grid pattern, so you could change the size of the plot area,
but not the aspect ratio.

- Jon
-------

Carole O wrote:
> Jon - I thought I stated that I'm working with the 100% 3D chart - and see
> now that I didn't.  It's the 3D part that isn't resizing.  Sorry for wasting
> your time earlier!
>
> Carole O
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>

>>There's nothing special about your data. I just pasted it into a
>>worksheet, created two stacked column charts (one embedded chart, one
>>standalone chart sheet), and I could resize the charts at will.
>>
>>Has your chart been protected?
>>
>>- Jon
>>-------
>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>Peltier Technical Services
>>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>>http://PeltierTech.com/
>>_______
>>

>>Carole O wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, Jon -
>>>
>>>No it isn't a pivot chart.  This is what I'm working with.  I just want to
>>>make the chart part bigger.
>>>
>>>FRESCO	VINYL	STICK ANYWHERE	CANVAS	CUSTOM	MISC
>>> PROD	7867	63	0	0	48
>>> SCRAP	1216	0	0	0	0
>>>
>>>TIA, Carole O

I gave up - made it a flat chart instead.  Oh, well - we tried!!

Thanks for your help and punctuality!!

Carole O

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> I like 3D charts even less than Pivot Charts. Several of the 3D chart
> types, including the surface and contour charts, like to enforce a
> "square" grid pattern, so you could change the size of the plot area,
> but not the aspect ratio.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com/
> _______
>

> Carole O wrote:
> > Jon - I thought I stated that I'm working with the 100% 3D chart - and see
> > now that I didn't.  It's the 3D part that isn't resizing.  Sorry for wasting
> > your time earlier!
> >
> > Carole O
> >
> > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
> >

> >>There's nothing special about your data. I just pasted it into a
> >>worksheet, created two stacked column charts (one embedded chart, one
> >>standalone chart sheet), and I could resize the charts at will.
> >>
> >>Has your chart been protected?
> >>
> >>- Jon
> >>-------
> >>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> >>Peltier Technical Services
> >>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> >>http://PeltierTech.com/
> >>_______

0
CaroleO (115)

Excel Charts
I would like to easily/quickly toggle series in an Excel chart on an off. What I would really like to have is some way to click on a serie in the legend next to my chart and have that series data disappear fro my graph. Then I need to be able to click that series again in th legend and have the data reappear on the graph. I don't think Excel ha this capability built-in, so I'll have to create an add-in or macro Any ideas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi! I think you might find this site will help: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartByControl.html Alf ...

possible to equisize charts (6) in chart sheet?
My chart sheet has six charts on it; arranged in two columns of three charts each. The "snap to grid" feature is nice yet I am having difficulty getting all six of the charts to be the same size/dimension. Is there a shortcut for doing this or is it necessary to simply "eyeball" the heights and widths of the charts? I am hoping there is a way to automatically "tile" the charts. Thank you. Andrew - I usually use a regular worksheet for this, a blank one without all those numbers cluttering it up. When you drag and stretch charts on a worksheet, holding...

Excel 2007 line chart automatic category axis text rotation
Is there any way in Excel 2007 of re-enabling the automatic (best fit) rotation feature on category values text axes after you have entered a custom angle (the simple checkbox that existed in previous versions is no longer there and the program will not allow you to remove a custom angle completely once one has been set - only to change it)? Many thanks, Boris. You apparently cannot do this through the user interface, but this line of VBA does it: ActiveChart.Axes(xlCategory, xlPrimary).TickLabels.Orientation = xlTickLabelOrientationAutomatic Select the chart. Open the VB Editor (Alt+...

Charting in 2 axises
I need to chart on 2 axises showing the data as two separate columns next to each other. When I chart the two columns I lose my second axis on my chart. When I show my second axis on the chart, then the two columns are laid on top of each other. I want my second axis to show but I want the two columns to show as separate next to each other. What about changing your chart to a 3d model. 3d models can be panned to any angle which will enable you to see overlays. It's too bad there's not an image pasting function here. I have some graphs that are 3d that might make more sense ...

Yikes! All chart series lines above the correct Y-axis value markers!
Hello, I'm not sure how I managed to sabotage my chart this way but if anyone has done something similar and was able to fix it, I would appreciate you advice. For example, Series 1 has a value of 4.1 but this point plotted at 4.6 on the y-axis. All points for each series in the chart have done this. Thanks, CJ On 11 Jun 2004 11:49:17 -0700, cgreen07@hotmail.com (CJ) wrote: >Hello, > >I'm not sure how I managed to sabotage my chart this way but if anyone >has done something similar and was able to fix it, I would appreciate >you advice. > >For example, Series ...

Trouble adding non-adjacent cell columns to a print area
Hi, I can't seem to add non-adjacent columns to my print area in Excel 2000 and don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm defining my area (in page break view) by 1st selecting the 1st 4 columns (which happen to be adjacent) and setting them as the print area. I then select each additional non-adjacent column, right-click a cell in it and select "Add to Print Area". According to the Help text, this is supposed to work. But all I ever get is the first 4 (adjacent) columns. The rest don't print or display in print preview. So what am I doing wrong? I've t...

Excel Table/Chart to JPEG for Web
I'm looking for a simple (read cheap) program that I can copy/paste or print into and adjust the pixel count (keeping aspect ratio) and resolution (dpi) for upload to web in jpeg format. Ideas? 1. Use gif or png, which are designed for line art and similar images, not jpg, which is designed for photos and is terrible at line art. 2. If you know VBA, you could use a command like this one from the immediate window or within a procedure: ActiveChart.Export ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\Chart001.png", "PNG" 3. Check out John Walkenbach's Chart Tools utility, a...

Referencing Chart Data?
I have a chart that is referencing a series of data that are formulas. The formulas return an average for the specified array. I am needing to find out how to keep the chart from considering the blank cells as zero values. I have tried having the formula return a "" (blank) value if false, but it still shows up in the chart as a zero value. Do you know the answer to this? -- Thank you! I don't know if this varies by version of Excel, so I'll just respond with what works in 2003: If you don't mind a continuous graph, try returning the N/A value by using ...

Add dynamic line to chart
Hi, I often have the need to add limit lines, average lines, Standard Deviation Lines, etc., to charts, but the way I do it currently is pretty clumsy. Is there a more elegant way to do it? Say that I'm producing a line chart that shows data values over time. I have time on the X axis and the data plotted on the Y axis. Then I want to put a horizontal line that shows where the Mean plus One Standard Deviation is. I currently do this by adding another column to my worksheet and putting the same number in each cell in that column where the number is the Mean plus One Standard Deviation...

Help in making a simle column/line chart in excel using vb6
Hi, I want to make a simple column or line chart in excel using vb6. I have created instance of excel and in the sheet1, I am able to populate some data. Now using that data, say the range is A2-B6, I want to use that range and make a chart. Pls help by giving me code, step by step. Thx Sandeep Sandeep - Step 1. In Excel, turn on the macro recorder while making the kind of chart you want. Step 2. Refine the recorded code. Here is some recorded code, which creates an embedded column chart, adds axis and chart titles, and does a little formatting: '' START RECORDED CODE Sub...

Goal line or target line to Excell 2007 Chart
Is there a simple way to add a "goal line" or "target" line to a chart? I've looked at the previous posts and can't seem to figure it out. Thanks! Hi, Have you look at these explanations? http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html Cheers Andy hawaiiham2000 wrote: > Is there a simple way to add a "goal line" or "target" line to a chart? I've > looked at the previous posts and can't seem to figure it out. Tha...

enlarge a picture
I have an a4 size picture of a dog. What i am wanting to do is enlarge that picture as i want to put it up the back of my classroomn for the new year. I somehow want to get the picture and put it on a number of a4 pieces of paper. Then print them out and join it up like a big jigsaw puzzle. It needs to be bigger than A3. With the file open and dog pix is showing, in Pub 2000 you would go to File, Page setup and change the page size to the size poster you want. Then looking at the pix, drag the picture corner out to the new size; same with opposite pix corner. Save and print. -- Do...

Pivot Chart Help
Hello I have a pivot chart (stacked column) that has a branch & date fields on the x axis with a product type in the legend. problem is that i dont have a consistent color for the one product. the color scheme seems to depend on the number of products at each branch. i want to ensure there is only 1 colour per product on the bar chart no matter how many products a branch may sell how can i fix this please. ...

Money 2005 charts
Just wondering if i should buy Money 2005... I know Money can generate bar graphs and pie graphs, but will it create line graphs of expenses/account balances? I just find this easier to view all of it on one graph with different lines. Some standard reports e.g. Net worth over time are already line graphs, and for most others you can customise the display type. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "Andrew Rooke&quo...

I want help with charts
I want to create a waterfall or bridging chart? have a look at http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Waterfall.html and http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Waterfall2.html -- John MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003 Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders) "Marton" wrote: > I want to create a waterfall or bridging chart? ...

Line
I'm plotting monthly and ytd data as columns on the x axis. And for the y axis, I'm showing a percentage that relates to the monthly data, not the ytd data. I've formatted the 4 sets of columns to "0 overlap" and "100 gap width". So, for each set of columns (month and ytd), the month and ytd columns are touching. Currently, the data point for percentage line on the y axis sits in the middle of each set of columns. But since the percentage data point really only relates to the monthly data, I was hoping to shift the line so the data points are over th...

Multiple Charts #7
Is it possible to create multiple charts from a pivot chart using the report filter? (Excel 2007). For example, I have a pivot chart set up with "State" as a report filter, thus if I want to see the chart for Texas or Florida, I select it from the report filter drop down. Now I want to "quickly" generate the chart for every state to paste into another document or presentation. Is there any way to do this? ...

Protected XY plots change format spontaneously
I use Excel 2000 (9.0 SP3). In my workbook, each of 20 worksheets has some data-entry cells, an embedded XY plot, and some buttons for macros. Each plot has 1 series - the data from the data-entry cells on that sheet. Cells outside the data-entry area are locked. The worksheets are all "protected" so that users can make changes only in the data-entry cells. Two more XY plots are on separate sheets in this workbook - each has 12 series, and is also "protected". I have about 20 such workbooks. All are on a network drive and are accessed by users working at various PC...

chart feature greyed out
What reason could there be for the chart button to be greyed out when trying to create a pie chart from a series of highlighted numbers? It's a shared Excel 2000 workbook. Thanks for any help! The chart button is one of the features that aren't available in a shared workbook. There's more information in the following MSKB article: XL: Commands and Features Unavailable in Shared Workbook http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=130560 Consue wrote: > What reason could there be for the chart button to be > greyed out when trying to create a pie chart from a serie...

Best way to add a chart?
Earlier I had asked for some help on how to proceed with this application. I have moved forward a little on my own but now I'm at a point where I really need a pro's recommendation. I am trying to build an application that will track printer usage. I am using a search interface that I downloaded form Allen Browne's web site (excellent stuff!!). My concept is this; 1. Interface allows user to choose search criteria based on type of pages printed, specific printer, and time frame of printer usage audit. 2. After user selects the criteria the form displays the filtered data and ...

To separate two line in a line chart
Hi all, I drew the confidence intervals (the vertical black lines) of each points in this line chart (please see below). However, the intervals would overlap at some places. In MS-Excel, is there any tip to shift one of the two lines a bit horizontally? So that I can prevent the overlapped intervals, especially as in black-and-white chart later. Thank you!! Seeing the figure, please click this url: http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgtvrqj3_10fr9frz HsinJen Chen Hi, You would need to create a new set of x values for one of the series by adding or subtracting a constant. The chart type...

Chart Question #3
is it possible to create a chart, skipping columns or rows I need to creat a chart using data from every other column and another using data from about every 5th row Any help appreciated David Hopper I'm open to correction on this, but I believe the best way to do this (assuming you don't want to delete the in between data, and resort the columns somehow) would be to create a macro that copies the data you want into the right format (probably on another sheet) and make the chart from there. Something along the lines of: sub MyCopy() dim NewSheet as worksheet dim OldSheet as w...

does anyone have a template for as excel weightloss chart?
hi, i'm trying to set up a weightloss tracking chart. with date, current weight, goal and actual weight...thank you! amy There are templates that you can download on the Microsoft web site: http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/templates/CT010482871033.aspx twobabybats wrote: > hi, i'm trying to set up a weightloss tracking chart. with date, current > weight, goal and actual weight...thank you! > > amy -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Formula for charts
Hi all, I have the following function define in one cell: =D49-D49*(B8^2) D49 is dynamic. However, B8 is a constant cell referring to a constant value. When I tried to copy the function to another cell, B8 is changed to B9. I only want D49 to change. How do I keep Excel from changing B8? Thanks! Hi, You need to use absolute references ($) rather then relative ones. =D49-D49*($B$8*$B$8) Cheers Andy PPP wrote: > Hi all, > > I have the following function define in one cell: =D49-D49*(B8^2) > > D49 is dynamic. However, B8 is a constant cell referring to a constant > v...

How to plot a function, y=f(x) in excel chart.
Is it possible to combine a plot of a function, example y=f(x) together with other chart data? One example is to plot a straight line or multiple lines together with x-y or bar charts. I know I could simply generate the data and populate cells and then plot this data together with the other data, but is there a way to do it without filling cells? This topic has been covered at least three times in the past. Stephen Bullen http://oaltd.co.uk/DLCount/DLCount.asp?file=ChtFrmla.zip Tushar Mehta http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/plot_manager/index.html Jan Karel Pieterse http://jkp-ad...