How to do this kind of chart in excel?

I wonder if this is possible.

I have two gaussians represented by points and joined by a smooth line in
excel.
however, ideally I want the area under the curves to be shaded, and best of
all, if possible, be semi transparent so that the overlap between the two
curves is highlighted a bit darker than the area under the individual
curves.

x values are wavelength, y values are intensity

is this possible?

t.i.a

Lee -

Excel doesn't do transparent shading of area charts; otherwise that
would be the ideal approach.  You can get semitransparent column charts
using an autoshape as an area fill, as John Walkenbach describes:

   http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip071.htm

What I would try is a combination chart with a pair of column chart
series, semi-transparent autoshape fills, in the chart with the line/XY
charts you have for your markers and lines.  If you make the columns
narrow enough, set the gap width between columns to 0, and use a fill
but no border, I bet you can pull it off.  Nobody will notice the
slightly ragged edge along the top, where your other series have a line
connecting the points.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP