how to create dashboards using excel?

I would like to know how to create a dashboard report using MS excel, without
the help of any third party software.

Doesn't this mean creating a set of charts and tables in a print- or
screen-ready arrangement? You can arrange this yourself, by making charts
from the selected data, and putting them together on a single sheet, and
formatting it appropriately. The third party software merely does all of
this automatically, saving you the time and effort.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Ram" <Ram @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know how to create a dashboard report using MS excel,
>without
> the help of any third party software.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

need info on excel
Hi. This is my first time posting to this NG. I visited my accountant today and he recomended me to get Microsoft Excel so that I can stay more organized and present my tax figures easier. I dont know a thing about excel. I have been doing things the old fashion way. I use COrel Word perfect to do documents and make my own graphs and log info to that. But thats it. I went to the web site and I beleive Excel 2003 costs about $200. to upgrade is $109 or so. Is there a cheaper way to get this program or an alternative. Please, is there anyone who can also tell me why excel is go good,what it can ...

Need to create a pie chart
I need to create a pie chart, and I am running into some problems. I has been a long time since I have last done this, and was hoping tha someone could help me. I have a column named COMPLETED. I this column it either has a Y or N. I need to have a Pie chart so that it shows the % of Completed Y and of Completed N. I am having some problems coming up with how to set this up. I hav tried the Chart Wizard, however I am just too confussed. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!:confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If your data are in A2:A100 (with A1 as a header), then in some empty rang...

Using HTML template in 2007/Vista
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum or not.... I'm able to install an HTML page as a template using Office 2007 on an XP machine, but the same process does not work on Vista machines. The template is saved to the proper location but the problem is that when Outlook opens the form, it opens as Plain Text rather than HTML. I haven't been successful finding any solutions googling the problem - anyone here know of a fix? -- rpw ...

Scan documents directly to excel
I am looking for a good OCR program that will allow we to scan thousands of pages of phone bills diretly to MS Excel. If anyone has any idea what I could use, I would appreciate it. http://www.textbridge.com Hope you have a scanner with a sheet feeder. Actually, faxing into the computer may work once you have OCR. HP makes printer/fax/copier/scanners with OCR software as part of the package. -- John johnf202 at hotmail dot com "Debbie" <DLLower@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:02b201c347d3$1e2c5800$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I am looking for a good OCR program that...

Need to create an assembly call for Workflow Activity Creation
We're creating an Activity via a Manual Workflow on the Order. When creating an Activity from that starting point, you only have access to fill a handful of fields (Assign To, Type, Subject, Description, Priority, and Due Date). We need the Activity that's created from this starting point to be able to fill some customized fields that we have on the Task. The only way we figured out that we might be able to accomplish this is by adding an assembly call to the Worfklow. I'm not familiar with coding an assembly callout for CRM in .NET. Does anyone know what resources I co...

How to use wincrypt.h?
Hi: I use it in a console app. I do this: The first I don't include .h file. Then add #define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0400 and #include <wincrypt.h> in the stdafx.h. compile ... error: error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'HRESULT' fatal error C1004: unexpected end of file found How to do? thanks! >error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'HRESULT' >fatal error C1004: unexpected end of file found > >How to do? Try adding #include <windows.h> before. Dave Thank you. "David Lowndes" ...

Excel 97 to Excel XP (default margins)
I have excel files created in Excel 97. When I open this files wit Excel XP, the margins are not the sames. In Excel 97 are 0,0,0,0. In Excel Xp are 2.5,2,2.5,2 Can you help me? Thanks in advance ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com I just did a quick test and margins set at zero in Excel 97 stayed at zero in Excel 2002. Puzzled. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP Could be a different printer driver from when the file was created in 97 vs now in XP? Or even a differ...

Excel formatting #3
Could someone please help with a macro or any other suggestion to format an Excel sheet. Basically data is downloaded from a bank every week and the size of the file can vary but the formatting is constant. That is each record is 7 lines. So first record is line1-7, second record is line 8-14, third record is line 15-21 and so on. I need to format this data and basically I can record a macro for one data set that is for the record on line 1 to 7. My question is how can I set it to replicate so that it replicates for line 8-14 and then 15-21 and so on. The source formatting remains the same...

clash between different versions of excel?
Hi all. I created an excel document using excel2003 and save it in a file server. As it is a shared file, it was opened by another user using excel97 for editing. However after the file was saved by the user of excel97, the layout of the content in the file became very different compared to the 1 that was saved by myself when i was using excel2003. As the user of excel97 merely change the data without editing any layout, why did this happened? Is it due to the different versions of excel being used? How can i solve this? Thks in advance. ...

create chart /table excel-save, close & reopen colors change? Why
When I create a chart/table in Excel - save, close & reopen to use again, the colors have changed for my formating. How do I set the formating so that the colors stay the same - I have tried styles with no luck. The colors need to be the company approved. Thank you, Anne, I am unable to reproduce yr problem. Excel should NOT override yr manual settings. However,you can set yr company colours as default under Tools/Options/[Color tab]. Here are the colours Excel uses by default for the workbook. (Under that thin line you see the defaults for fill and line colours.) Hope this...

insert password using vb
I have multi worksheets in a template with formulas. I can hide th formulas but if I add a password, my macros stop and ask for th password when the macro is in a protected worksheet. Is there a way o adding the password to a macro so that the macro will run smoothl without stopping and asking for a manual insertion of the password? Thanks Do -- abbevill ----------------------------------------------------------------------- abbeville's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=976 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26122 ...

coalesce excel data
I developed a data logger for a computer simulation that people interact with. The logged data is stored in a tab deliminated text format. That data can be imported into Excel. I bring in different subjects and have them test the simulation while I log their usage of the simulation. I would like to be able to coalesce the logged data of all the different subjects data into meaningful statistics about the simulation. I can log the data by time or by room the person is in the simulation. The data logged per time slice or per room is health, amount of object 1, amount of object 2, etc. So it woul...

Camera Tool in Excel
Hi, Please advise when using the camera tool in excel why would the linked picture not change when the data in the original range changes I am trying to create a dashbord, using the camera tool Kind regards Renier van Staden In 2003 I cannot replicate your problem. Which version of Excel and what are the steps you take to create a dashboard? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 07:37:01 -0700, Renier van Staden <Renier van Staden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, Please advise when using the camera tool in excel why would the linked >picture not change when...

Maximum Named Ranges in excel
Hello all, I am using the Named ranges in excel to store metadata about each cell in excel that can persist with the excel file. So 1 cell = 1 Named Range.Advantage of using this approach is excel automatically updates the name references, even if we cut-and paste cells. As per this link(http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP051992911033.aspx ), the amount of named ranges is limited only by the amount of available memory. I wrote a small macro that adds names to each cell in excel, considering an average data of 10000 rows into 10 columns. Like this: <short version...

Ctrl-H crashing Excel 2002 fixed by Office XP SP3.
In thread "Ctrl-H crashes Excel 2002", a couple of dozen threads before this one, I reported that, in Excel 2002 without Service Packs applied: After you do a search by Values (as opposed to Formulas), henceforth Ctrl-H crashes Excel. (You could prevent that by reassigning Ctrl-H to a macro.) Thanks to Mike Mendelson & Dave Peterson, I found that Office XP SP3 fixes the problem. (I don't know which SP fixed the bug--1, 2, or 3.) Now, Ctrl-H brings up the Search dialog without crashing. *** ...

What Excel macro puts data in the NEXT row of a sheet?
I have a list of data in col B of sheet 2 which I need to copy and transpose into sheet 1, then delete the data in sheet 2 to use the form again to copy and transpose onto the next line in sheet 1. I have tried with a macro shortcut I've called ctrl + e. (I am really using the data form process but cannot because I have too many inputs). Is there a simple macro I can copy and paste? ...

same subform used in two different forms
Hi Folks, Is it possible to use the same subform in two different main forms simultaneously? If it's possible, is it good practice? I can foresee that there may be problems with code, but the subform I'm thinking of is very basic. Three tables: tblFamily FamID (primary key) FamLastName tblIndividual IndID (primary key) InFamID FirstName MiddleName ....other personal data tblAddress AddressID AdFamID street city state zip Two main forms for different types of data entry frmFamily with family information on the main form and address information...

Not even Office Live Using Document Connection
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3331376369_11931625 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit While others are saying they can use the SP2 version of Document Connection to Office Live but not Sharepoint I can�t even get connected to my Office Live Workspace which I have been using via the browser for a long time. I can't add my Office LIve Workspace location to Document Connection. The gear just spins and what�s almost as bad it...

XML TreeNode.Parent property when using 2.0 TreeView?
How do I get a TreeNode.Parent property when using the 2.0 TreeView control? When the data source is an XML file there may be redundant names in the tree. For example, when a child node with the value of 'name' is selected I don't have a clue how to get the name of its parent which may be 'person' or 'school.' <%= Clinton Gallagher "clintonG" <csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXTmetromilwaukee.com> wrote in message news:%23erL6WOXFHA.3532@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > How do I get a TreeNode.Parent property when using the 2.0 TreeView > control? &...

Excel 09-06-07
Need some help please............. Senario....... in Column B you have a company names (different ones), then is say coulmn E you have some figures like say number of kgs. Is it possible to add all the figures from column E for each different company... Column B Colum E Smiths 123kgs Jones 200kgs fred 75kgs Smiths 450kgs so you get say a months total of the kgs each company has done. Use &qu...

Create new record
Just wonder if I press the * button on the record selector, is there a new record already inserted? I have a autoincrement field in a record, I would like to know if the new record is really appended so that I can get the latest autoincrement number. ...

Font property in Excel VBA causes 100 % CPU loop
I am using Excel 2002 SP-2 on a Windows XP machine running a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor with 1 Gb RAM. When building a VBA userform, whenever I click on the properties box to change the font size for e.g. a label or textbox caption, Excel starts another process (i.e. I see another Excel process on the Windows task bar) and consumes close to 100 % of my CPU. The first couple of times I tried this, Excel eventually brought up the font properties window (after more than a minute). The third time I tried this, I had to crash Excel via Windows Task Manager. At the time of trying to change the ...

Can't use MS-Money with Bank of America???????????
I've used Quicken for a while and am using Quicken2003. I've just gave the new MS-Money2004 trial version a try and I like it better, so I was going to switch...... Until I discovered that Bank of America does not support MS-Money, only Quicken. That sounds crazy to me, but apparently this is the case. If I want to switch from Quicken to MS-Money I will loose the ability to download bank transactions automatically and must use the old fashioned manual download statement method. Does anyone know why a bank as large as Bank America doesn't support MS-Money? Does anyone...

Excel Sheets
Is the number of sheets one is able to add to an Excel 2003 document limited? User wants to create a document with upwards of 400 sheets. Each sheet would have about 10 rows, each row would have at least 1 calculation. Is this feasible under Excel 2003? TIA DDS Hi Danny: The maximum number of sheets in a workbook is limited by available memory. By default the number of sheets in a new workbook is 3 but this may be altered by using: Tools > Options > General Change to a maximum of 255 However, there is nothing to stop you adding more sheets. Generally, you'll find things ge...

ActiveX controls cause Excel to Shutdown
Last night I was doing some simple coding in VBA. The code applied to two command buttons: one would copy and paste a line along with adding a few check boxes, the other would delete said line and boxes. I saved one of my first stabs at the code, and when I went to add another command button Excel would shut itself down and auto recover my previous work. I had been seeing the error "object library invalid or contains references to object definitions" before this began happening. I have Microsoft Office 2003 and have tried re-installing it, to no avail. Every time I use the Activ...