how to copy sheet with charts without link to original data

I have a worksheet with ten charts on it. I need to copy the worksheet with
all its data and related charts to new sheets or files so I have a page for
every day, with different data entered every day. But when I copy the
worksheet with embedded charts and paste it into a new file, the charts pull
their source data from the original worksheet, not the new one.
The source data Value box is written as such,     ='03-09-10'!$D$12

any ideas?

Hi Esty,

Probably wont help you, but I had similar problem, I posted few days
ago. Didn't resolved it yet, but Jon suggested a tool on his website.
Doesn't do all the job, but still half way there - allows you to
automate the renaming. Didnt tried it my self - I did it the hard way
renaming 3 sheets 50 tabs each (gosh there were 150 graphs :(  ), - but
if it works it will save you some time

that was my thread:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.excel.charting&tid=473c6f21-9451-4f68-91ad-a5f03686626c&cat=en_us_3b34f1ec-fc95-47ca-acae-f1cfcdddef59&lang=en&cr=us&sloc=en-us&p=1

the link to the tool:
  http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/how-to-edit-series-formulas/

Not sure how helpful that is, but it is at least an option.
If you find any better (automated method) of renaming the series of the
chart, let us know. I'll appreciate it.

Sam

On 3/10/2010 11:15 AM, Esty wrote:
> I have a worksheet with ten charts on it. I need to copy the worksheet with
> all its data and related charts to new sheets or files so I have a page for
> every day, with different data entered every day. But when I copy the
> worksheet with embedded charts and paste it into a new file, the charts pull
> their source data from the original worksheet, not the new one.
> The source data Value box is written as such,     ='03-09-10'!$D$12
>
> any ideas?

0
Sam
3/10/2010 8:22:34 PM
Are you copying by Copy and Paste?
Here is a way that makes a new duplicate sheet
Open the two workbooks and in XL2003 use Windows | Arrange or in Xl2007 use
View |Arrange to have them side by side
If you are talking about one workbook just follow from here
Click on the tab of the worksheet holding the data and charts
Hold down the CTRL key and drag the tab from one book to the other (you will
see an icon looking like a piece of paper with a + sign) --- with one file
drag from one place to another in the tab line-up
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Esty" <Esty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a worksheet with ten charts on it. I need to copy the worksheet
> with
> all its data and related charts to new sheets or files so I have a page
> for
> every day, with different data entered every day. But when I copy the
> worksheet with embedded charts and paste it into a new file, the charts
> pull
> their source data from the original worksheet, not the new one.
> The source data Value box is written as such,     ='03-09-10'!$D$12
>
> any ideas?

0
Bernard
3/10/2010 9:03:48 PM
Just tried your suggestion. Didn't work for me. Copies the sheet with the
data, but not the chart. Or may be I am doing sth wrong? I followed you steps
in 2007, tried in 1 workbook dragging Sheet1 to the end - creates copy with
the data-no raph
Tried between 2 files - same result - copied sheet with data on it, but
didnt transfer the graph... Any Excel settings I am missing?

Is it possible this to be done with VBA, as instead "Sheet1" there is
dynamic reference to the sheets name in
..Chart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A3:G14")
something like the formula
=MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255)
My VBA knowledge is limited, and I cant make this to work so far...

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks

Sam

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> Are you copying by Copy and Paste?
> Here is a way that makes a new duplicate sheet
> Open the two workbooks and in XL2003 use Windows | Arrange or in Xl2007 use
> View |Arrange to have them side by side
> If you are talking about one workbook just follow from here
> Click on the tab of the worksheet holding the data and charts
> Hold down the CTRL key and drag the tab from one book to the other (you will
> see an icon looking like a piece of paper with a + sign) --- with one file
> drag from one place to another in the tab line-up
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
>

> "Esty" <Esty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a worksheet with ten charts on it. I need to copy the worksheet
> > with
> > all its data and related charts to new sheets or files so I have a page
> > for
> > every day, with different data entered every day. But when I copy the
> > worksheet with embedded charts and paste it into a new file, the charts
> > pull
> > their source data from the original worksheet, not the new one.
> > The source data Value box is written as such,     ='03-09-10'!$D$12
> >
> > any ideas?
>
> .

Sorry, I cannot see anyway to solve your problem
I have just repeated the exercise and it really does work
My chart is non SHeet2 and when I click the data series in the chart, the
formula bar displays
=SERIES(,Sheet2!$A$7:$A$11,Sheet2!$B$7:$B$11,1)
After by 'copy by dragging tab', on Sheet2 (2) I see
=SERIES(,Sheet2 (2)!$A$7:$A$11,Sheet2!$B$7:$B$11,1)
So the reference to the sheet does no seem to be holding it up
I cannot see anything in Options that would foul us up
Want to send me a sample file ?
Get my email addy from my website
best wishes
--

"Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just tried your suggestion. Didn't work for me. Copies the sheet with the
> data, but not the chart. Or may be I am doing sth wrong? I followed you
> steps
> in 2007, tried in 1 workbook dragging Sheet1 to the end - creates copy
> with
> the data-no raph
> Tried between 2 files - same result - copied sheet with data on it, but
> didnt transfer the graph... Any Excel settings I am missing?
>
> Is it possible this to be done with VBA, as instead "Sheet1" there is
> dynamic reference to the sheets name in
> .Chart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A3:G14")
> something like the formula
> =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255)
> My VBA knowledge is limited, and I cant make this to work so far...
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> Sam
>
> "Bernard Liengme" wrote:
>
>> Are you copying by Copy and Paste?
>> Here is a way that makes a new duplicate sheet
>> Open the two workbooks and in XL2003 use Windows | Arrange or in Xl2007
>> use
>> View |Arrange to have them side by side
>> If you are talking about one workbook just follow from here
>> Click on the tab of the worksheet holding the data and charts
>> Hold down the CTRL key and drag the tab from one book to the other (you
>> will
>> see an icon looking like a piece of paper with a + sign) --- with one
>> file
>> drag from one place to another in the tab line-up
>> best wishes
>> --
>> Bernard Liengme
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
>>

>> "Esty" <Esty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have a worksheet with ten charts on it. I need to copy the worksheet
>> > with
>> > all its data and related charts to new sheets or files so I have a page
>> > for
>> > every day, with different data entered every day. But when I copy the
>> > worksheet with embedded charts and paste it into a new file, the charts
>> > pull
>> > their source data from the original worksheet, not the new one.
>> > The source data Value box is written as such,     ='03-09-10'!$D$12
>> >
>> > any ideas?
>>
>> .

0
Bernard
3/10/2010 11:20:51 PM
Is the chart embedded in the sheet? Or is it a standalone chart sheet?

If it's a chart sheet, then select the data worksheet, hold Ctrl and
select the chart sheet, then hold Ctrl and drag both to the other workbook.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

On 3/10/2010 5:01 PM, Sam wrote:
> Just tried your suggestion. Didn't work for me. Copies the sheet with the
> data, but not the chart. Or may be I am doing sth wrong? I followed you steps
> in 2007, tried in 1 workbook dragging Sheet1 to the end - creates copy with
> the data-no raph
> Tried between 2 files - same result - copied sheet with data on it, but
> didnt transfer the graph... Any Excel settings I am missing?
>
> Is it possible this to be done with VBA, as instead "Sheet1" there is
> dynamic reference to the sheets name in
> .Chart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A3:G14")
> something like the formula
> =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255)
> My VBA knowledge is limited, and I cant make this to work so far...
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> Sam
>
> "Bernard Liengme" wrote:
>
>> Are you copying by Copy and Paste?
>> Here is a way that makes a new duplicate sheet
>> Open the two workbooks and in XL2003 use Windows | Arrange or in Xl2007 use
>> View |Arrange to have them side by side
>> If you are talking about one workbook just follow from here
>> Click on the tab of the worksheet holding the data and charts
>> Hold down the CTRL key and drag the tab from one book to the other (you will
>> see an icon looking like a piece of paper with a + sign) --- with one file
>> drag from one place to another in the tab line-up
>> best wishes
>> --
>> Bernard Liengme
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
>>

>> "Esty"<Esty@discussions.microsoft.com>  wrote in message
>>> I have a worksheet with ten charts on it. I need to copy the worksheet
>>> with
>>> all its data and related charts to new sheets or files so I have a page
>>> for
>>> every day, with different data entered every day. But when I copy the
>>> worksheet with embedded charts and paste it into a new file, the charts
>>> pull
>>> their source data from the original worksheet, not the new one.
>>> The source data Value box is written as such,     ='03-09-10'!$D$12
>>>
>>> any ideas?
>>
>> .

0
Jon
3/11/2010 10:53:09 PM
Sam
You need to enable an option for this to work if the charts are embedded
on the worksheets where the data is, rather than on a chart sheet of
their own.
Go to Excel options > Advanced > Cut, Copy and Paste section.
Enable "Cut, copy, and sort inserted objects with their parent cells"

Now use Bernards Ctrl-drag technique, or a normal right click >  "Move
or copy" to copy the sheet and the chart should update the formulas to
the worksheet it is embedded on (not back to the original).

If your charts are on worksheets other than the ones where their source
data is, then you need to do something similar to what Jon suggests for
chart sheets, ie to select the sheet with the chart on it and the sheet
with the data on it and copy them all at once. The new copied sheet with
the chart will then point at the new copied sheet with the data, rather
than the old one.

Hope this combination gets you sorted out.

Adam

On 10/03/2010 22:01, Sam wrote:
> Just tried your suggestion. Didn't work for me. Copies the sheet with the
> data, but not the chart. Or may be I am doing sth wrong? I followed you steps
> in 2007, tried in 1 workbook dragging Sheet1 to the end - creates copy with
> the data-no raph
> Tried between 2 files - same result - copied sheet with data on it, but
> didnt transfer the graph... Any Excel settings I am missing?
>
> Is it possible this to be done with VBA, as instead "Sheet1" there is
> dynamic reference to the sheets name in
> .Chart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A3:G14")
> something like the formula
> =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255)
> My VBA knowledge is limited, and I cant make this to work so far...
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> Sam
>
> "Bernard Liengme" wrote:
>
>> Are you copying by Copy and Paste?
>> Here is a way that makes a new duplicate sheet
>> Open the two workbooks and in XL2003 use Windows | Arrange or in Xl2007 use
>> View |Arrange to have them side by side
>> If you are talking about one workbook just follow from here
>> Click on the tab of the worksheet holding the data and charts
>> Hold down the CTRL key and drag the tab from one book to the other (you will
>> see an icon looking like a piece of paper with a + sign) --- with one file
>> drag from one place to another in the tab line-up
>> best wishes
>> --
>> Bernard Liengme
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
>>

>> "Esty"<Esty@discussions.microsoft.com>  wrote in message
>>> I have a worksheet with ten charts on it. I need to copy the worksheet
>>> with
>>> all its data and related charts to new sheets or files so I have a page
>>> for
>>> every day, with different data entered every day. But when I copy the
>>> worksheet with embedded charts and paste it into a new file, the charts
>>> pull
>>> their source data from the original worksheet, not the new one.
>>> The source data Value box is written as such,     ='03-09-10'!$D$12
>>>
>>> any ideas?
>>
>> .

0
AdamV

Linking Time-varying charts
Hi all, Here's my problem. I've got a set of Excel files with monthly data which is updated every month. So in January I only have Jan data. In February I have Jan and Feb data, and so on. The chart I have for this data always displays a full 18 months data from October 2003 to March 2005, and as more data is added, the line on the chart snakes its way from left to right. These files are submitted to me from various sources. As a central data collector, I now want to link these Excel files into a single Excel file which will display all the charts in one place for convenience. Ho...

Excel VB-Copy formula down until adjacent cell (left) is blank?
Here is exactly what I am trying to do through VB in Excel: Weekly data pull fills colums A:G. Row count is always different. I am modifying the data pull through VB, and I have a VLOOKUP formula in cell H2. What I want VB to do is copy that formula down column H to the last row (with data) each week. I guess I want it to be dynamic so that as rows decrease/increase the formula is only copied down to the final row/record. I know someone out of this smart group will know how to do this! Thanks in advance! Tony (pseudo code) in a macro .... dim lngLastrow as long dim rngTarget...

Form Links
Hi All, I Was Woundering if some one could Help Me, With this rather Simple Problem I Have. I Have 2 Tables "tbl_Suppliers" and "tbl_Enquirys" Ive Managed to Achieve What i want When I Use A Tab Form and Insert a Subform on the Second Tab. What I want Is To Achieve the Same Thing With out using Tabs. So Here Goes Table "tbl_suppliers" has some of following Fields "Company Name" , "Contact Name" And "Address" and so on. Tble "tbl_Enquiry" has some of the following Fields "Company Name" , "Contact Name&q...

In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/april/04) data converts.
In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/April/2004) excel converts this to 4/10/04 (4/October/2004) Where can I change the input characteristics. I have changed the date format to English (UK) and this works when I input the date in the American format mm/dd/yy but I want to input in the dd/mm/yy format I think I'd try chaning my windows regional settings. In win98, I'd get to it via: Windows start button|Settings|control Panel|regional settings applet Date Tab Change the short date format to dd/mm/yyyy (I like 4 digit dates--you don't have to use that part--but put it in d...

Adding Lines And Boxes, etc. To A Chart ?
Hello, Will blame it on my age. Using Excel 2007 (or, at least trying to) and XP. When I have a chart page opened up, how do I get it to show the bar on the bottom (that the real old versions had) that allows one to click on one of its icons shown to "draw" lines, arrowed lines, boxes, add text with a box, etc on the chart itself ? Thanks, Bob Hi, With the chart selected you can use the Insert tab > Illustrations > Shapes. To add shapes to the chart. Textbox is in the Text group of the Insert tab. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypo...

CRM & Data Matching
Hi, We are going to populate our MSCRM with various data sets. Because of this there will be duplication of customer data. Is there any mechanism within Microsoft CRM (or easily available elsewhere) to match the data from the diverse sources against each other and to arrive at a single instance of the customer. Thanks, D. Microsoft CRM V3 only offers merge capabilities which means you have to locate the duplicates - crm can then merge the records two at a time. ISV's have produced other solutions ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.got...

Calcs & Data Validation
Looking for an easy way to complet the following. I imagine their must be a quick & easy method. Cell A5 has a drop down list which corresponds to a range on another worksheet. It has 300+ entries. In cell B5 i will enter a number/qty. What i would like is that as each of the items in the list has a corresponding cost (on other worksheet), i would like to know an easy way to calculate the cost (in C5) based upon the qty entered (B5) & the cost of the item selected. I have done it before with 'IF' function for a small selection, but figure there must be an easier...

Chart Type HELP!
Hi, I still need help on the Chart Type thread that I posted a couple of hours ago under "Chart Type". It is URGENT--for a presentation for which I am already late!! Anybody?? Tx, Sat Hi Sat - Take a look at what I just posted and see if it helps. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ----------------------------------------------------------------------...

Combination chart? Stacked cylinders and scatter
Hi, I want to make a stacked bar chart that also shows another data point as a single point along the stacked bar. Here is what I have so far '[img=http://img304.imageshack.us/img304/5372/chart7ur.th.jpg]' (http://img304.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chart7ur.jpg) Here is what I want to accomplish: - don't show Sections where Length is zero -- right now the zero sections show with label and value on the right side of the cylinders - show another data point (from another cell in my sheet) as a single point along the stacked bar - show a final data point as the total of the bar len...

Problem with line Chart
I have the following data: Date Value 1/07 700 3/07 550 9/07 600 10/07 550 7/08 500 9/08 700 2/09 750 8/09 600 I would like to create a simple line chart connecting the Value points. Note that the points correspond to random dates (not evenly spaced). How can I create a line chart that has time on the x-axis, (say shown in months) with a line connecting the Value points, which are shown at various locations in time. Soun...

Conditional links
I am trying to creat a shipping list from a set of 10 worksheets. Ther are several cells that need to be linked to the shipping list only i "x" is indicated in a particular cell in that column. I am able to ge the cell I want to link by using the following formula =IF(Sheet1!S10="X",Sheet1!E10," ") How can I list only the lines with "x"? I do not want to link only 1 line at a time. I want it to check th first line. If there is no "x" then check the next line until it find an x and then link it. Thanks in advance Cand -- CNA4 -------...

No "Chart Option" feature in the Formatting Palette or when double click on Chart
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I have read a discussion board concerning this issue but it was from 2008 and no solution was offered yet. The problem is as follows: one creates a graph but cannot add a title or format the axis etc. <br><br>When I open a new spreadsheet and enter the data, I can create the graph. However, I cannot select the &quot;Chart Option&quot; to change any specific features. On the formatting palette I only get the "Page Setup" options but nothing relating to the chart and when I double click on the graph t...

How do you convert or copy your dbx files to pst files

Formatting doesn't follow data sort
I was just recently updated to 2003 MS Office Pro. I can't remember what I use to have, but I used to be able to Data Sort info and the borders around cells would follow the appropriate text. It doesn't do that anymore, and I can't find out how to fix it in the online help, and my IT guy doesn't know off the top of his head. Can anyone help or have I wasted a full day and a half putting borders around information for no reason? -- kanimalhouse ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kanimalhouse's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/me...

Automatic link
when i open a workbook, the warning prompts saying there are automatic link, and ask if i want to update or not. anyway to eliminate it? btw, i don't hv any url link inside the workbook. This is by design of Excel. In Excel XP you have the option to not prompt but the links will automatically udpate. The links that it is referring to are links to other workbooks not to hyperlinks. All other versions of Excel don't have this option so you would have to open the file with code to get the prompt to go away. Chris "Soe" <soenandar@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:...

Pivot tables, linking to a named range as a source to a pivot table
I have created a main worksheet within the same workbook of many pivot tables, and I want to use this same worksheet as the source of information to these different pivot table sheets off of which I create charts. I want to use a named range because there are over 4,000 rows in this main worksheet. I am not sure if I need a "=" to start the reference or what to do. I thought I should just use nameofworksheet!database if I name the range "database", but when I point and click to the sheet, it is just inserting the name "database" without the name of the...

Duplicate emails received (two copies)
I am receiving two copies of each received email. What could cause this problem? Thank You, Dan ...

OWA reply shows broken link in the form area
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C5AE18.43CE9F70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, When I reply to a message from within OWA, I get a broken link in the = areas where I would type. It's as if it can't find the form or = something. It's not a signature file problem from what I can tell. Any ideas? ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C5AE18.43CE9F70 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &q...

how to i shrink my a4 flyer to an a5 flyer without some info
how to i shrink my a4 flyer to an a5 flyer without losing some of the info? Manually. The text boxes can be shrunk by using the Autofit tool in the Format Menu. Some printers have a zoom feature. You can setup a PDF to print two per sheet. Download details 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "liznewbie" <liznewbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2800AA4E-F2CA-4C16-B113-76BEDBAB06C3@m...

sum by coding without 0
hi in the following program if there is no value in the cells a1 and b1 it returns 0 Public Sub Add2Cells() Range("C1").Value = Range("A1").Value + Range("B1").Value End Sub i need only the output if the both the cells have the data will you can tell me that Public Sub Add2Cells() If Not(IsEmpty(Range("A1"))) And _ Not(IsEmpty(Range("B1"))) Then Range("C1").Value = Range("A1").Value + Range("B1").Value End If End Sub Empty is not the same as zero, so either/both could actually ...

Accessing a linked file in a Word document using VBA
Hi - Basic question, in my Word template I have some linked images. I want to use VBA to change the path and filename of some of these links ... can anyone give me a clue as to how I should best do this? Thanks Robin Hi Robin, To see how to paths in Word using vba, check out the macro solution I've posted for implement relative paths at: http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/index.php?showtopic=670027 -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "Robin" <Robin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EA2C548-7D01-4515-BCC8-2EF3210439C9@microsof...

How do I copy previously entered data
If I enter related data in A1 and C1 and then type the same data as A1 in A4, how do I get the data in C1 to automaticallyh appear in C4? Hi =VLOOKUP(A4,A1:C3,3,0) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Snoopy wrote: > If I enter related data in A1 and C1 and then type the same data as > A1 in A4, how do I get the data in C1 to automaticallyh appear in C4? Hi Frank, Thanks for the information, I tried it and it works. One further question if I may? If I type the info in A1 in multiple places in columnA, can excel be configured to repeat the related info in c1 in the cor...

Data validation causing problems when using a data form in Excel 2
I have an Excel 2007 workbook that includes data validation set on a number of cells. When using a data form to enter data and I enter an invalid value on the form field corresponding to one of those cells I receive the validation error dialogue that prompts me to retry. I enter the correct data into that field on the form then close the form. My worksheet only has the data relating to the corrected field entered. All other data entered via the form is not entered onto the worksheet. Is this a bug in Excel 2007? I previously was using Excel 2002 and found that when using a ...

How to credit complicated pie chart
I want to create a pie chart of my credit card statement each month. Every pie chart example shows 3 columns and about 5 rows of data. I can create a chart for something that simple but what I need is A chart showing the amounts and to what merchant that amount was spent at. Can someone point me in the direction where I can find something that would tell me how to do what I want? Thanks Ron ...

Data Validation, Via A Formula
Is there a way to apply data validation to one cell, based on the result of another cell? For instance, if in A1, a data validation list displays sports (ie baseball, basketball,etc), and if the user selects "Baseball", then the data validation in B1 would only list baseball teams, from the range named baseball teams. And if basketball is selected, then only basketball teams are displayed. If at all possible, could this be done via a formula and WITHOUT using VB? If not, I could also use any help to accomplish this via VB coding. Any and all help will be appreciated...