how to change color gradients in a bar chart

Despite a lot of Google searching, I could NOT figure out how to
change the colors of the gradient in a bar chart in Excel 2007. So
once I finally figured it out on my own I figured I'd post it here in
case anyone else was in similar straits.

THE PROBLEM: You want to choose your own colors for a gradient in a
bar chart, but no matter how you futz with the settings, that pesky
default blue won't go away!

THE ISSUE: Excel's default gradient has not one color setting but
THREE "stops" set to varying shades of blue -- so if you want to
change the color you need to deal with all three stops!

THE SOLUTION: In the 'Format Data Series' dialog box under Fill,
select 'Gradient fill'. Then under 'Gradient stops':

- Select 'Stop 1' from the drop-down list, set 'Stop position' to 0%,
change 'Color' to white, and set 'Transparency' to 100%. (Note that
this makes the changes IMMEDIATELY; there's no OK or Apply button to
hit.)

- Now select Select 'Stop 2' from the drop-down list, set 'Stop
position' to 100%, change 'Color' to your favorite color, and set
'Transparency' to 0%.

If there are any other 'Stops' listed, select them and hit 'Remove'.

And all else fails, go to the 'Preset colors' drop-down box, select
the green one (left column, third one done on my machine), and tweak
the settings below; should be self-evident at that point.

(Note to Microsoft: In your next version of Excel, show each Stop and
its settings separately in the main dialog box, so it's obvious what
needs to change. Forcing users to dig into an obscure drop-down menu
setting ('Stop 3", etc.) they haven't encountered before to make what
was a relatively easy change in the previous version of Excel is not
user-friendly.)
0
dclerch (1)

not able to link chart points from same series
I'm working on a chart that pull information from several pages. Tha table is able to plot information correctly in the graph but I can't seem to link the dots on the chart with a line. Everytime I try a linear chart or a scatered chart with smoth lines, the lines start from the x axis and reach the dot rather than connecting dots from the same series. suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If the points are not in the same series (i.e., the data source is from different sheets, not a single summary sheet), you will never link them. If you have gaps, true actual blanks (n...

Exchange 2000 DST Changes

Naming charts on own sheet
Hi. I have a series of charts (which are all contained on their own sheets). I need to name each of the charts (as they will be used by someone else in a macro). I have tried clicking on them and also pressing shift before clicking on them, and I am not able to change the name in the name combo box. Can anyone advise me of how I can change the names. Thanks for your help. Hi, If you have chart sheets you can change the name by simply changing the sheet tab name. What you described is the method used on chartobjects, which are usually on a worksheet. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Mi...

Changing Item #'s
Is it possible to change the item #'s after the item has already been entered? TMM: No there isn't in the "base" product, but MBS does have a tool that you can use called Item Modifier - this will allow you to change an Item number from one value to another. You can email this address below and they can answer any questions you have about the tool and can tell you what the cost of it is. mbsprofessionalservices@microsoft.com Hope that helps you out, JG "TMM" wrote: > Is it possible to change the item #'s after the item has already been entered? ...

loan amortisatio chart not updating
Hi, I use MS Monet 2007 premium. I have created a loan amortisation account which breaks up my monthly instslment into pricipal and interest. The loan commencd from 7 October 2005 and is for a period of 5 years. The problem is that the loan account does ot show any loan instalments beyond 7 October 2006 (exactly 1 year after the commencement). Why is this happening. Why is the account not updating with instalments which have been debited to my account after 7 October 2007. Please help. Were you depending on downloaded transaction data for this account? Did the download link br...

How do I make a chart with several times during a day
Hi, This seems like it may be a simple thing, yet I can not for the life of me figure out how to do this (or at least semi-easily with VBing it for a while). I have a simple table filled with the following information (example for simplicity): 12pm 5pm 10pm 11/20 5 4 7 11/21 5 4 7 11/23 5 4 7 11/24 5 4 7 11/25 5 4 7 So basically I am keeping track of a numeric value three times a day. I would like to make a chart of it with...

Outlook color scheme
I've seen several different installs of Outlook 2003. Some have an orange interface, some blue, some grey. I'm not talking about Outlook web acess, but the local installed copy. Can anyone explain this? I would like to figure out how to change the interface color scheme. -Brian It uses Windows color schemes. Change those from Display Properties (Control Panel or right click you desktop). --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will ...

survival chart
Hi! Does anybody have an idea how it would be possible to trick Excel into making a survival plot? That is a stepped graph ploting cumulative survival on the y axis and time slots on the x. Any suggestion would be most appreciated. Andrej Andrej - I don't have a 'survival plot' per se, but you could look for ideas on my web site. The cumulative probability plot sounds like a possible candidate: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/ProbabilityChart.html If it doesn't give you any idea, post back with some typical data, and we'll have a look. - Jo...

Chart "Benchmark" Line Graph Question
I am generating a graph of many team's monthly audit productivity percentages (bar graph) with a "benchmark" (line graph) at 95% (y axis) across 6 month period (x axis). The problem is that the line graph appears on the graph but the ends of the line are centered in the end columns (left & right). Is there as simple way to extend the benchmark line out to the edges of the graph? MJ Have a great day and live life with passion! ...

Chart printing issue in Excel 2007

trying to link maps and pie charts
Hello I was trying to link sales data stored in an excel table with a specific country in MapPoint. This software allows you to do this very easily. You can even picture the data in piecharts (% sales for each competitor). However there is very little flexibility with the look of the result: you cannot choose the color of the slices of the pie, you may not display data on the graph, and the maps do not look very professional. I know it is possible to link automatically a table with a shape in visio. Can this shape be a given country/region on a map? Can the callouts have th...

Is there a way to graph data which utilizes the "fixed" function for decimal places? When I try this it will not graph, as the data has become text or something - even though I've selected number in the cell formats. If you've fixed the number of digits using only number formats, the values remain numeric, and they should chart just fine. This means selecting the range, going to the Formatting menu and selecting Cells, and on the Number tab, selecting Number in the category list, and setting a number of digits. I'm not familiar with a "fixed function". I...

Range Names with Charts
I would like to use rangenames to specify the data sources for a chart, but Excel does not seem to like this. I have tried entering the rangename in the following formats: rangename =rangename ={rangename] ={"rangename"} .... and various other formats. Surely there is a way to do this ....? Art Hi, try either depending on whether the named range is local to the sheet. =sheetname!rangename =bookname.xls!rangename cheers Andy ArthurJ wrote: > I would like to use rangenames to specify the data sources for a chart, but > Excel does not seem to like this. I have tried en...

Stop changing of languages in Word 2003 when typing letter.
While typing a letter in Word 2003 it changed from English to what looked like Arabic language. I have rebooted 3 times and started over and still the same occurs. I even copied what I had in English to an email in Yahoo and sent it to myself and rebooted. Came back to that same email and copied it to a new email that I started to myself, and when I started typing it would only type in what looked like Arabic language. This happened to me once a couple of weeks ago, but never occurred again till now. What do I do? In the Language dialog box, turn off the option to autom...

Strange behaviour: show/hide formatting symbols reveals old change
In Word 2007, I'm getting some strange behaviour in a document that was authored by someone else. Track Changes is switched off, all changes have been accepted, and everything looks as it should in whichever view I happen to choose (Print Layout, Draft, whatever). But when I click to show formatting symbols (in whatever view) a whole lot of old changes - deletions AND insertions, ostensibly all accepted, and from before the document got to me - appear in the document, making it quite tricky to work with. These old changes are impervious to anything I try to do with them E...

Column and Line Chart
I am making a Custon Chart using the First -Column and Line Chart. When I setup the chart it makes the last column a point instead of a column. When I go in to change the type of Chart it makes the bar much bigger than the others. I know you can go into Format and decrease/increase width- but I can't believe there is a not a way to tell excel to make this a column on setup so they are all uniformly spaced. How does Excel decide whether it is a point on a line or a bar? -- Thanks, Nikki Hi Nikki - Excel simply splits the number of series between the lines and columns. If you wa...

Color change in cell when > 49.99
I need a cell to change color if the value inside the cell reaches 50 or higher.either text or cell shade. just so it catches the users attention. im running excel 2000. and i have this currently in the cell that i want to aplly this to: =HLOOKUP(D20,'Hidden Data'!GZ10:HB11,2,0)*MAX(15,E20) have you tried conditional formating? format>conditional formating >-----Original Message----- >I need a cell to change color if the value inside the cell reaches 50 or >higher.either text or cell shade. just so it catches the users attention. >im running excel 2000. and i ...

Area Chart Question
Hello, I am graphing an area chart off a table of numbers. Is there a way to show the summary totals in the data table that I am showing on the graph without having the totals appear on the area graph itself? John John, Unfortunately the data tables are not going to give you a lot of flexibility. Whatever is in the chart is going to show up on the data table. To get around this restriction, I would suggest creating a data table made of worksheet cells as opposed to using the standard data table. The link below describes the process: http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/a_simple...

Date/Time Show When Changes Made
Hi, When changes are made in a table or form, I want the date and time to appear showing me when changes were made in any of the fields. How can it work? MTIA. It's not possible if you're working directly with tables. Using foms, you have to put code into the form's BeforeUpdate event to update the row's LastChanged field (which, of course, you have to add to the table yourself) You might find what Allen Browne has at http://www.allenbrowne.com/AppAudit.html to be useful. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Beame...

How to implement a progress bar on a status bar
If I want to implement a progress bar indicating process of some algorithm or function, how should I programme to make the progress bar appear on the status bar in foot of the window? Is there any sample code I can follow? speechuser wrote: >If I want to implement a progress bar indicating process of some algorithm >or function, how should I programme to make the progress bar appear on the >status bar in foot of the window? Is there any sample code I can follow? I've not used it, but this may do the trick: Showing progress bar in a status bar pane http://www.codeproject.com/...

OWA and password change
I have OWA in the DMZ but the mail server is behind the DMZ. I have no problems accessing OWA but I do have a problem see the users on my DC. The real issue is that I am trying to have users change their own password within OWA and need to know what ports I need to have open without any security breach. I need to know what is safe to open and what's not safe to open. Thanks. Hi WooYing, have you seen this articel s? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179442 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259240 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/guidance/secmod44.mspx F...

formatting of charts changes when copying from excel 2000 to 200.
When I copy a chart from Excel 2000 and paste it into Excel 2003, some of the formatting is lost. In particular, scale and axis formatting. Is this a programming issue or can it be corrected easily. Thanks Hi, First one would answer why would you copy charts from 2000 to 2003, why not make them in 2003? Second and more important - how are you copying them - there are maybe 20 possible methods of copying a chart from one program to another. Please tell us exactly which steps you use to do the copying. Also, exactly what formatting are you loosing, what do you get instead? When ...