how to change color gradients in a bar chart

Despite a lot of Google searching, I could NOT figure out how to
change the colors of the gradient in a bar chart in Excel 2007. So
once I finally figured it out on my own I figured I'd post it here in
case anyone else was in similar straits.

THE PROBLEM: You want to choose your own colors for a gradient in a
bar chart, but no matter how you futz with the settings, that pesky
default blue won't go away!

THE ISSUE: Excel's default gradient has not one color setting but
THREE "stops" set to varying shades of blue -- so if you want to
change the color you need to deal with all three stops!

THE SOLUTION: In the 'Format Data Series' dialog box under Fill,
select 'Gradient fill'. Then under 'Gradient stops':

- Select 'Stop 1' from the drop-down list, set 'Stop position' to 0%,
change 'Color' to white, and set 'Transparency' to 100%. (Note that
this makes the changes IMMEDIATELY; there's no OK or Apply button to
hit.)

- Now select Select 'Stop 2' from the drop-down list, set 'Stop
position' to 100%, change 'Color' to your favorite color, and set
'Transparency' to 0%.

If there are any other 'Stops' listed, select them and hit 'Remove'.

And all else fails, go to the 'Preset colors' drop-down box, select
the green one (left column, third one done on my machine), and tweak
the settings below; should be self-evident at that point.

(Note to Microsoft: In your next version of Excel, show each Stop and
its settings separately in the main dialog box, so it's obvious what
needs to change. Forcing users to dig into an obscure drop-down menu
setting ('Stop 3", etc.) they haven't encountered before to make what
was a relatively easy change in the previous version of Excel is not
user-friendly.)
0
dclerch (1)

Change background color of query results from access in worksheet
Hi, I have Excel 2007 and selected Date => From Access and then navigated to an Access DB and selected a query. I chose "Table" view. The query results now appear in my worksheet which is great. However, I want to change the background. Right now it alternatives by row between a light blue and a darker blue. I want the results to have a white background with black borders but have been unable to change the format. If I go to Home and select No fill for a color background nothing happens. Is there a way to change the query results? Thanks, Could be the r...

Adding Lines And Boxes, etc. To A Chart ?
Hello, Will blame it on my age. Using Excel 2007 (or, at least trying to) and XP. When I have a chart page opened up, how do I get it to show the bar on the bottom (that the real old versions had) that allows one to click on one of its icons shown to "draw" lines, arrowed lines, boxes, add text with a box, etc on the chart itself ? Thanks, Bob Hi, With the chart selected you can use the Insert tab > Illustrations > Shapes. To add shapes to the chart. Textbox is in the Text group of the Insert tab. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypo...

Unable to change forecolor
Help please. I cannot change the forecolor of my textbox using the .forecolor property I want to change the text color to red if the value is greater than 31,999 This is the code snipset: Me.IncAmtPaid = xIncAmtPaid Me.IncFirstPay = xIncFirstPay Me.IncCCPay = xIncCCPay I do not see where you are trying to use the ForeColor property. azu_daioh@yahoo.com wrote: >Help please. I cannot change the forecolor of my textbox using >the .forecolor property > >I want to change the text color to red if the value is greater than >31,999 > >This is the co...

clustered stack column charts #2
I am trying to create a chart with three stacks in two columns. I tried using the method described by Bernard Liengmen's but it doesn't allow me to add a secondary axis for the last (sixth) data series. I don't get it??? How does one series in a stacked cluster use the secondary axis? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Lou T wrote: > I am trying to create a chart with three stacks in two columns. I tried > using the method described by Bernard Liengmen's but it ...

Linking Time-varying charts
Hi all, Here's my problem. I've got a set of Excel files with monthly data which is updated every month. So in January I only have Jan data. In February I have Jan and Feb data, and so on. The chart I have for this data always displays a full 18 months data from October 2003 to March 2005, and as more data is added, the line on the chart snakes its way from left to right. These files are submitted to me from various sources. As a central data collector, I now want to link these Excel files into a single Excel file which will display all the charts in one place for convenience. Ho...

Executing change event with out tabbing off from a filed (DEX or VBA)
Hi, Scenario : A field in a GP form, I have my cursor in that field. When I enter data in to it, I need to split that string and insert the splitted string in to two text boxes (I will not be doing tab off from the field). EG: String which will be entered : 111112 I need to split the string into two strings string1 : 11111 string2 : 2 As soon as data entry is done the splitting should happen (to string1 and string2). And string2 , ie 2 should be inserted in to a field say quantity. If I enter data and do tab off from the field it is working fine. The requirement is ,as soon as data is ente...

Color in Bar Graph
I have a Report with a Bar Graph on it, I would like to make each Category (up to 4 on a chart), a specific color. Thanks..ernst ...

cursor has changed from 10pt to 7pt
my document is Times Roman 10pt but my cursor is very tiny, probably 5 or 6pt. How can i change it? If this is Word 2003, you have encountered a known issue. Change the zoom to, say, 500% and then back to whatever you want. That should fix the "mini cursor" bug (at least temporarily). -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Claudia" <Claudia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:32F16312-3191-435A-93C0-10688E62E9FF@microsoft.com... > my document is Times Roman 10pt but my cursor is very tiny, probably 5 or > 6pt. > How can i ch...

Open Spreadsheet--Formatting Changed to Date??
I opened my spreadsheet and some, but not all of the columns on every sheet in the workbook has changed to a date format. I opened other spreadsheets and there was no change. Can anyone explain this. It's a real pain to deal with. ...

Calendar 2000 & 2007 Status of Meeting Attendees Changing
I have a client who has set up a meeting and sent an update and the following occurs: "once I sent an update, my attendees changed to “optional” from “required” and the tracking is inaccurate as someone who accepted is not showing up as receiving a response. Another attendee did not receive the update at all." She also is asking whether or not it makes a difference is she uses a distribution list in her meeting invitation. Can anyhone shed any light on why this is happening? -- LPS ...

When I insert new pages the fonts on the existing pages change
I have a 28 page document that I am trying to insert new pages into. When I insert the new pages, Publisher changes the font on all the existing pages - quite a mess. How can I avoid this?? On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:39:03 +0000, Jim wrote (in article <A9F6706D-208F-4FB4-BECD-70077760824A@microsoft.com>): > I have a 28 page document that I am trying to insert new pages into. When I > insert the new pages, Publisher changes the font on all the existing pages - > quite a mess. How can I avoid this?? Unlink the boxes. If the boxes are linked then the font will change globall...

static control color in Custom Control in MFC
Hi, In the win32 application I have written WM_CTLCOLORSTATIC which was processed and white brush was returned(GetStockObject(WHITE_BRUSH)), so the static control which is child windows of the custom control looked white. In the corresponding MFC program I have the OnCtlColor for the "custom control" handled as:- HBRUSH CEditHold::OnCtlColor(CDC* pDC, CWnd* pWnd, UINT nCtlColor) { HBRUSH hbr = CWnd::OnCtlColor(pDC, pWnd, nCtlColor); int id = pWnd->GetDlgCtrlID(); if(nCtlColor == CTLCOLOR_STATIC && (id > 0 && id < 9)) { return (HBRUSH)GetStockObje...

Stop Excel Changing Format
In Excel I want to just show a date as dd/mm in a cell. Every time I enter this Excel shows the number in dd/mm/yy format, even when I change the cell to use the General format. Any idea how I get Excel to show the number as I want? Format as dd/mm -- David Biddulph "Chris762" <Chris762@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D028B2CD-5096-4EB5-8FFF-249AD6839774@microsoft.com... > In Excel I want to just show a date as dd/mm in a cell. Every time I enter > this Excel shows the number in dd/mm/yy format, even when I change the > cell > to...

90% line across line chart
I have a changing set of data that is 3 columns and 104 row. These are represented on a Line Chart. I have a formula to calculate the 90th percentile for each of these. How do I automatically put a horizontal line on the chart for each of the three measurement at the corresponding 90th percentile. Thanks, Brad On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Brad K. <BradK@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I have a changing set of data that is 3 columns and 104 row. These are >represented on a Line Chart. I have a formula to calculate the 90th >percentile for e...

Charting Utility Usage
I've collected utility usage (kilowatt, tons, etc) on a monthly basis for the past couple of years. Normally, I've only had to chart usage for a 12-month period. Now I need to compare data on a monthly basis covering the past 3- years (i.e. Jan data for 2004, 2005, 2006) and put it in a chart. I'd like for it to look like this... U # # S # # A # # G E 2004-2005-2006 2004-2005-2006 2004-2005- 2...

Colours changing in the fill palette and the spreadsheet?
Hi I have a user with Office 2003, and her pc and build is standard as with her colleagues. In Excel the colours would change (cells filled) also if the user goes to her pallette the colours have also changed. Desktop and all other applications colour are fine. The following resolutions have been tried - office detect and repair, updates, asked the user to got to the tools options and reset the pallette and this does not work. She has to log off and back in again in order to set it back to the proper colours. Again this is only affecting Excel? Any pointers? I wish to thank you in advanc...

Can change outlook profile without exprofe ?
Hi, I have migrated mailboxes from one standart server to a cluster cluster, syncronized the public and system folder. But outlook profile didn't update with the new information of services, even if I recreat the outlook profile, change registry keys or delete the user profile I still have this information : "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging\Subsytem\Profiles\Outlook\a80945475ee4c140936d21bade59e593\001e6614=/O=*****/OU=****/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=OLDSERVER" Maybe Exprofe could help-me, but this client don't log...

You made changes to another copy of this object...
Hi all, Somewhere out of nothing when I open a task the following message appears in a grey bar on top of the task: "You made changes to another copy of this object. This is the most recent version. Click here to see the other versions" Why does this happen? It is a reoccurring task, and the task from the past which was markt completed suddenly is overdue.. Is there an explanation for this?? Regards, M. ...

Chart layout problem
I want to make my chart display the full width of the page, but just above where the Legend is shown - I know how to remove that - there's a blue box "Drop Series Fields Here" that I can't find how to remove ! :( Any simple pointers - I am no good at all with VBA and we're not able to install anything complex at work - very gratefully received :) Nick in Leeds On Nov 24, 2:26=A0pm, NickTheBatMan <nickw7...@gmail.com> wrote: > I want to make my chart display the full width of the page, but just > above where the Legend is shown - I know how to remove that - ...

Two y-axes and two column charts
Excel 2003 - I am trying to create a two column chart where each is plotted on it's own y axis. I can use the custom chart to do a line and a column; two lines, or a bar and a column. When I try to do two columns, they stack. The user wants them side by side. Is there a way to 'trick' the system or is he stuck with the options I've just describe? Suzan - Here's the trick: dummy series. Here's one way how: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutio...

chart not updating
I have a pivot table with a drop down that lists division. Data presented is dependent upon which division I select. Next I have cells referenced to the same cells in my pivot table. My reason is that a pivot chart is not as flexible as a chart based on a normal table. Anyway, my chart is made with those cells as the source. The cells update based upon what division I selected in my pivot table drop down. (Same data in both places: independent table and pivot table). However, my chart is not updating as it should. It retains the first division's information. It worked ini...

problem printing charts
I have a series of small charts on a worksheet that I am printing 4 at a time in landscape format. It was working fine until the last set - the print preview and the printout had one of the charts in a different location/position than is shown on the worksheet. I can shift the chart around in the worksheet and it will move in the print preview/printout but not to the location I desire. I have seen an error message on this with the Excel 2007 beta version but no solution. I am using Excel 2007 with SP1. I have run the Excel diagnostics, restarted Excel, and even rebooted the whole c...

Copying Gantt Charts into MS Word
I am trying to copy certain things from MS Project to Word - Gantt chart, budget report, critical path etc- and when I transfer to Word, I either lose a large majority of the information (cuts it off to the right), or it is so small that it is unreadable. Can someone please give me some hints as to how I can transfer all of the dat I need and still be able to read it? Thanks Have you tried posting your question in either the Word or Project newsgroups? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:e62201c43c77$3f985860$...

Scatter chart with columns instead of points
I need to create a chart showing the number of students who received each numerical grade on test. The spacing between grades is not equidistant (ex: 65, 70, 90, etc.) and I need to show the true spacing on the x-axis. So I chose a scatter chart because the other charts make the points of equal distance on the x-axis. The trouble is I need to represent the data as columns so if two students scored a 65 and eight scored a 90, the 90 column would much higher. Is there a way to add vertical columns to a scatter chart? Put your grades in a column, and include the grades which had none. ...

Changed Data array #4
Anyone?? BUm -- Scottm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Scottmk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=170 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27290 ...