How the heck do I plot 'my text' for the X axis? (instead of 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.)

Hi,

I'm using XL2002 & Win2000Pro.

How can I display the week numbers (as shown) in the x axis, rather than
1, 2, 3, 4 etc. that M$ uses.

Here's my data

Week     11       12      13       14
Sales A   43       55      48       32
Sales B    32       36      41      29

Here's what I want the axis's to look like

        11      12      13      14

How do I do it?

Many thanks!!!

Norm

Father Guido
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
I plan on living forever... so far, so good
0
FGS (10)

Option 1: Delete the word Week and use the Chart Wizard.  For some
unexplicable reason, if XL finds an empty cell in the first row (or
column) it assumes that is the x-axis values, otherwise it assumes all
rows (columns) are y-values.  Once the chart is complete put the
contents of the deleted cell back.

Option 2 (and my preferred choice): Leave the data alone.  In step 2 of
the wizard, click the Series tab.  In the Series field select the first
row (column).  Copy the Values field into the 'Category (X) axis
labels' field.  Click the Remove button.

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <4phknvctim2o7fnivsqbgp2rk9mdb1qt97@4ax.com>, FGS@SNL.com
says...
> Hi,
>
> I'm using XL2002 & Win2000Pro.
>
> How can I display the week numbers (as shown) in the x axis, rather than
> 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. that M$ uses.
>
> Here's my data
>
> Week     11       12      13       14
> Sales A   43       55      48       32
> Sales B    32       36      41      29
>
> Here's what I want the axis's to look like
>
> 50
> 40
> 30
> 20
> 10
> 0
>         11      12      13      14
>
> How do I do it?
>
> Many thanks!!!
>
> Norm
>
> Father Guido
> ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
> I plan on living forever... so far, so good

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 10:32:00 GMT, Tushar Mehta
<tmUnderscore200310@tushar-mehta.SeeOhEm> wrote:

>Option 1: Delete the word Week and use the Chart Wizard.  For some
>unexplicable reason, if XL finds an empty cell in the first row (or
>column) it assumes that is the x-axis values, otherwise it assumes all
>rows (columns) are y-values.  Once the chart is complete put the
>contents of the deleted cell back.
>
>Option 2 (and my preferred choice): Leave the data alone.  In step 2 of
>the wizard, click the Series tab.  In the Series field select the first
>row (column).  Copy the Values field into the 'Category (X) axis
>labels' field.  Click the Remove button.
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
>www.tushar-mehta.com
>Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
>Custom MS Office productivity solutions

WOW!!!  Thanks a million Tushar, you made my day. Both solutions are
great, the first if you are creating the chart by selecting the data and
pressing F11, the second as you say, using the Chart Wizard.

Thanks again,

Norm

Father Guido
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
I plan on living forever... so far, so good
0
FGS (10)
10/1/2003 11:20:23 AM
I prefer the first option, since I'm too lazy to delete and retype the
header values.  Often I put them in the row above the Y column headers,
leaving blanks above the X column header(s).  The trick with blanks
works out nicely too if you want multiple row category labels.  If you
use two blank cells (say FG had another row, with some other info about
his weeks), if the blank region is two rows high, the first two rows
will be used in the chart:

            A        B       C        D
            11       12      13       14
Sales A    43       55      48       32
Sales B    32       36      41       29

Chart:

50    |
40    |
30    |
20    |
10    |
0     |______|______|______|______|
          11     12     13     14
          A      B      C      D

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

Father Guido wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 10:32:00 GMT, Tushar Mehta
> <tmUnderscore200310@tushar-mehta.SeeOhEm> wrote:
>

>>Option 1: Delete the word Week and use the Chart Wizard.  For some
>>unexplicable reason, if XL finds an empty cell in the first row (or
>>column) it assumes that is the x-axis values, otherwise it assumes all
>>rows (columns) are y-values.  Once the chart is complete put the
>>contents of the deleted cell back.
>>
>>Option 2 (and my preferred choice): Leave the data alone.  In step 2 of
>>the wizard, click the Series tab.  In the Series field select the first
>>row (column).  Copy the Values field into the 'Category (X) axis
>>labels' field.  Click the Remove button.
>>
>>--
>>Regards,
>>
>>Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
>>www.tushar-mehta.com
>>Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials
>>Custom MS Office productivity solutions
>

> WOW!!!  Thanks a million Tushar, you made my day. Both solutions are
> great, the first if you are creating the chart by selecting the data and
> pressing F11, the second as you say, using the Chart Wizard.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Norm
>
> Father Guido
> ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
> I plan on living forever... so far, so good

Thanks Jon, for the extra lesson. Isn't Excel wonderful?

Heres a last quick question on this subject. When I fixed up my charts,
I had to redo them from scratch to get the week numbers in the x-axis.

Is there a way to change the x-axsis of an existing chart? Possibly
someone may have need for this option in the future, but wouldn't want
to re-create each chart to achieve this.

Thanks again!

Norm
On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:53:09 -0400, Jon Peltier
<jonpeltierNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I prefer the first option, since I'm too lazy to delete and retype the
>header values.  Often I put them in the row above the Y column headers,
>leaving blanks above the X column header(s).  The trick with blanks
>works out nicely too if you want multiple row category labels.  If you
>use two blank cells (say FG had another row, with some other info about
>his weeks), if the blank region is two rows high, the first two rows
>will be used in the chart:

>            A        B       C        D
>            11       12      13       14
>Sales A    43       55      48       32
>Sales B    32       36      41       29
>
>Chart:
>
>50    |
>40    |
>30    |
>20    |
>10    |
>0     |______|______|______|______|
>          11     12     13     14
>          A      B      C      D
>

>- Jon
>-------
>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html

Father Guido
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
I plan on living forever... so far, so good
0
FGS (10)
10/2/2003 8:48:52 AM
Norm -

There are lots of hidden gems, and either you find them out by accident,
or someone else who found them by accident told you about them.

In a line/column/bar/area chart, right click the chart and pick Source
Data from the pop up menu.  Click on the Series tab, select the first
series, select whatever is in the Category (X) Axis Labels box, and with
the mouse select the multiple-row range you want to use.  Since all
series use the same categories, you're done.

I made a set of charts at work last week that used five or six rows for
the category labels.  This allowed me to put lots of additional
information, test conditions, etc., in the chart under each point.  This
made the charts very easy to understand, and the customers went away
happy for a change.

- Jon
-------

Father Guido wrote:
> Thanks Jon, for the extra lesson. Isn't Excel wonderful?
>
> Heres a last quick question on this subject. When I fixed up my charts,
> I had to redo them from scratch to get the week numbers in the x-axis.
>
> Is there a way to change the x-axsis of an existing chart? Possibly
> someone may have need for this option in the future, but wouldn't want
> to re-create each chart to achieve this.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Norm
> On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:53:09 -0400, Jon Peltier
> <jonpeltierNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I prefer the first option, since I'm too lazy to delete and retype the
>>header values.  Often I put them in the row above the Y column headers,
>>leaving blanks above the X column header(s).  The trick with blanks
>>works out nicely too if you want multiple row category labels.  If you
>>use two blank cells (say FG had another row, with some other info about
>>his weeks), if the blank region is two rows high, the first two rows
>>will be used in the chart:

>>           A        B       C        D
>>           11       12      13       14
>>Sales A    43       55      48       32
>>Sales B    32       36      41       29
>>
>>Chart:
>>
>>50    |
>>40    |
>>30    |
>>20    |
>>10    |
>>0     |______|______|______|______|
>>         11     12     13     14
>>         A      B      C      D
>>

>>- Jon
>>-------
>>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>>http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html
>

> Father Guido
> ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
> I plan on living forever... so far, so good

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 12:59:01 -0400, Jon Peltier
<jonpeltierNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Norm -
>
>There are lots of hidden gems, and either you find them out by accident,
>or someone else who found them by accident told you about them.
>
>In a line/column/bar/area chart, right click the chart and pick Source
>Data from the pop up menu.  Click on the Series tab, select the first
>series, select whatever is in the Category (X) Axis Labels box, and with
>the mouse select the multiple-row range you want to use.  Since all
>series use the same categories, you're done.
>
>I made a set of charts at work last week that used five or six rows for
>the category labels.  This allowed me to put lots of additional
>information, test conditions, etc., in the chart under each point.  This
>made the charts very easy to understand, and the customers went away
>happy for a change.
>
>- Jon

Once again I thank you, my charts are looking much better now.

Father Guido
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
I plan on living forever... so far, so good
0
FGS (10)

Crystal Reports not showing in 3.0
We've installed CRM 3.0 and finally got the SQL Reporting Service working. We can now click on reports without getting an error message. However, there are no reports displaying. Is there some additional setup that we need to do? I understand there is supposed to be like 150 canned reports. Where are they? Please help! Can anyone tell me how the canned reports get installed and where they are located? What database? "Barbi Dorin" wrote: > We've installed CRM 3.0 and finally got the SQL Reporting Service working. We > can now click on reports without getting an ...

Looking for XPathReader 1.1
Where is XPathReader 1.1 available for download? I have 1.0 and found the 2005 MS announcement for 1.1 but the link was for godotnet which no longer exists. Nothing shows up in a search at the MS download center or Google. Bill ...

data input in text box

pop3 #3
My outlook express hasnt been working since I got my new Dell computer. It says that the "POP3" isnt connected so i cant receive or send e-mail!!! HELP!! How do i fix this problem? I've tried calling Dell and Microsoft and have waited hours on the phone and have not gotten any assistance! Who is your ISP/mail host? Seems like you might want to contact them for support. I presume you can get to the Internet just fine.... rose wrote: > My outlook express hasnt been working since I got my new > Dell computer. It says that the "POP3" isnt connected so > i ca...

SMTP Connectors #4
Hi, I have a problem with two Front-End servers in NLB. I have two connectors with address space *, one connector with cost 10 the other with cost 20 for connector availability purposes. Inbound mails are targeted to FrontEnd1, outbound mails should go from FrontEnd2 (e.g. MX for FrontEnd1 cost is 10; MX cost for FrontEnd2 is 20) Connectors: FrontEnd1 - Address space * - cost 10 - bridgehead srv = FrontEnd1; FrontEnd2 - Address space * - cost 20 - bridgehead srv = FrontEnd2 The problem: If both servers are up and running and somehow some mail ends in queue on FrontEnd2 it correctly crea...

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

Counting number of X's in a column

Microsoft POS #2

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

Linker Error after upgrade from VC7.1

Calculating age in a label or text box on a form
Hello All, I have a text box for birthdate for a user to enter the birthdate and I want to the age for the user to be automatically calcuated and displayed in another label called "Age." What formula can I use? Missy ...

matching contents #2

Please ignore #2

reason codes #2
I'm having a big problem tracking discounts in RMS. Whenever something is discounted up front, a reason code is set. There are several I use for discounts. However, when I try to do an Item Movement History report and select based on those reason codes, I never get any matches. When I do an item history report for a few weeks, I notice that the only reason codes that are displayed are the ones pertaining to inventory adjustment. It seems that reason codes associated with discounts do not display in this report. HELP! I need these to display to track discounts (and also store use)! ...

Outlook 2002 XP SP 3 Archive problem
Hi there I am trying to get my newly configured outlook to archive my folders. I have ust configured it to download two POP email accounts and that works fine. I have set up a set of folders below my outlook (Personal Folders / pst) inbox node and placed the relevant emails in the corresponding folders. I have gone into tools -> options -> other -> and pressed the "AutoArchive..." button -> and set the "clean out folders older than" selection boxes to "3" and "Months" and pressed the "apply these setting to all folders" button. I ...

Why can't I edit the Schema for a Knowledge Base Article in CRM 3.
Why can't I edit the Schema for a Knowledge Base Article? It seems to me that you could do this in 1.2. I just want to add some custom fields. ...

Text of a RecordSource
Hi, ich have a Report with a recordsource. the source is a query. when call the function Me.RecordSource, i get the queryname. is there a possibility to get the text of this query ?? And how ?? thx a lot Martin Martin wrote: > Hi, > > ich have a Report with a recordsource. > the source is a query. > > when call the function Me.RecordSource, i get the queryname. > is there a possibility to get the text of this query ?? > And how ?? > > > thx a lot > Martin CurrentDB.QueryDefs("QueryName").sql -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as...

CRM 1.2 12-02-05
I have installed MS CRM 1.2 on a SBS 2003 server. Problem is I can only start the application if I log onto the server usind the server administrator account. If I try to access using a domain users account I just get a page cannot be displayed error, could somebody please help... Have you added the appropriate domain users as crm users using the deployment manager? "Redders" <Redders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D80FF8B4-78F1-4334-ACB5-2F772F0CF3B6@microsoft.com... > I have installed MS CRM 1.2 on a SBS 2003 server. Problem is I can only start >...