How do you make a chart with right angles only?

I have a set of data with times and a bunch of 0's and 1's.  For example, at
1:30 p.m., I have a 0....2:00 p.m., I have a 1...2:30 p.m. I have a 0, etc.

I have my 0's and 1's set up on the vertical axis and the times along the
horizontal axis.

I want my chart to show horizontal and vertical lines ONLY.  IE:   I want a
point at "0" at 1:30 p.m., then I want a horizontal line over to 2:00 p.m.,
and then I want a line going straight up to "1", and then I want a horizontal
line over to 2:30 p.m., and then I want a vertical line straight down to "0",
etc.

Currently, I am getting diagonal lines connecting the points.

Is what I am trying to achieve possible, and if so, how?

Thank you!

This is a step chart. You need to have duplicate points, to turn

X1  Y1
X2  Y2
X3  Y3
X4  Y4
etc.

X1  Y1
X2  Y1
X2  Y2
X3  Y2
X3  Y3
X4  Y3
X4  Y4

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Theresa9599" <Theresa9599@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a set of data with times and a bunch of 0's and 1's.  For example,
>at
> 1:30 p.m., I have a 0....2:00 p.m., I have a 1...2:30 p.m. I have a 0,
> etc.
>
> I have my 0's and 1's set up on the vertical axis and the times along the
> horizontal axis.
>
> I want my chart to show horizontal and vertical lines ONLY.  IE:   I want
> point at "0" at 1:30 p.m., then I want a horizontal line over to 2:00
> p.m.,
> and then I want a line going straight up to "1", and then I want a
> horizontal
> line over to 2:30 p.m., and then I want a vertical line straight down to
> "0",
> etc.
>
> Currently, I am getting diagonal lines connecting the points.
>
> Is what I am trying to achieve possible, and if so, how?
>
> Thank you!

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
4/23/2009 8:25:51 PM
Thank you, that makes sense, and I'm happy that what I'm trying to do is
actually possible!

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> This is a step chart. You need to have duplicate points, to turn
>
> X1  Y1
> X2  Y2
> X3  Y3
> X4  Y4
> etc.

> X1  Y1
> X2  Y1
> X2  Y2
> X3  Y2
> X3  Y3
> X4  Y3
> X4  Y4
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
> http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
> _______
>

> "Theresa9599" <Theresa9599@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a set of data with times and a bunch of 0's and 1's.  For example,
> >at
> > 1:30 p.m., I have a 0....2:00 p.m., I have a 1...2:30 p.m. I have a 0,
> > etc.
> >
> > I have my 0's and 1's set up on the vertical axis and the times along the
> > horizontal axis.
> >
> > I want my chart to show horizontal and vertical lines ONLY.  IE:   I want
> > point at "0" at 1:30 p.m., then I want a horizontal line over to 2:00
> > p.m.,
> > and then I want a line going straight up to "1", and then I want a
> > horizontal
> > line over to 2:30 p.m., and then I want a vertical line straight down to
> > "0",
> > etc.
> >
> > Currently, I am getting diagonal lines connecting the points.
> >
> > Is what I am trying to achieve possible, and if so, how?
> >
> > Thank you!

To make a dynamic chart you can use insert > name > define...

eg: X_Values: =Sheet1!$A$1:$A$5 ; Y_Values: =Sheet1!$B$1:$B$5

StepX: =X_Values+{0,0}
StepY: =LOOKUP(ROW(Y_Values)-{1,0},ROW(Y_Values),Y_Values)

Now set the chart formula to: =SERIES(,Sheet1!StepX,Sheet1!StepY,1)

"Theresa9599" <Theresa9599@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a set of data with times and a bunch of 0's and 1's.  For example,
>at
> 1:30 p.m., I have a 0....2:00 p.m., I have a 1...2:30 p.m. I have a 0,
> etc.
>
> I have my 0's and 1's set up on the vertical axis and the times along the
> horizontal axis.
>
> I want my chart to show horizontal and vertical lines ONLY.  IE:   I want
> point at "0" at 1:30 p.m., then I want a horizontal line over to 2:00
> p.m.,
> and then I want a line going straight up to "1", and then I want a
> horizontal
> line over to 2:30 p.m., and then I want a vertical line straight down to
> "0",
> etc.
>
> Currently, I am getting diagonal lines connecting the points.
>
> Is what I am trying to achieve possible, and if so, how?
>
> Thank you!

0
LoriMiller (18)
4/24/2009 4:42:42 AM
Nicely done!  I'm not sure why it works since the formulas yield 2D arrays
but it works.
--
Tushar Mehta
http://www.tushar-mehta.com

"Lori Miller" wrote:

> To make a dynamic chart you can use insert > name > define...
>
> eg: X_Values: =Sheet1!$A$1:$A$5 ; Y_Values: =Sheet1!$B$1:$B$5
>
> StepX: =X_Values+{0,0}
> StepY: =LOOKUP(ROW(Y_Values)-{1,0},ROW(Y_Values),Y_Values)
>
> Now set the chart formula to: =SERIES(,Sheet1!StepX,Sheet1!StepY,1)
>

> "Theresa9599" <Theresa9599@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a set of data with times and a bunch of 0's and 1's.  For example,
> >at
> > 1:30 p.m., I have a 0....2:00 p.m., I have a 1...2:30 p.m. I have a 0,
> > etc.
> >
> > I have my 0's and 1's set up on the vertical axis and the times along the
> > horizontal axis.
> >
> > I want my chart to show horizontal and vertical lines ONLY.  IE:   I want
> > point at "0" at 1:30 p.m., then I want a horizontal line over to 2:00
> > p.m.,
> > and then I want a line going straight up to "1", and then I want a
> > horizontal
> > line over to 2:30 p.m., and then I want a vertical line straight down to
> > "0",
> > etc.
> >
> > Currently, I am getting diagonal lines connecting the points.
> >
> > Is what I am trying to achieve possible, and if so, how?
> >
> > Thank you!

I hope you saw Lori Miller's response.

You can also use error bars to make step charts w/o duplicating the data
set.  See
Step chart
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/step_chart/index.html

--

"Theresa9599" wrote:

> I have a set of data with times and a bunch of 0's and 1's.  For example, at
> 1:30 p.m., I have a 0....2:00 p.m., I have a 1...2:30 p.m. I have a 0, etc.
>
> I have my 0's and 1's set up on the vertical axis and the times along the
> horizontal axis.
>
> I want my chart to show horizontal and vertical lines ONLY.  IE:   I want a
> point at "0" at 1:30 p.m., then I want a horizontal line over to 2:00 p.m.,
> and then I want a line going straight up to "1", and then I want a horizontal
> line over to 2:30 p.m., and then I want a vertical line straight down to "0",
> etc.
>
> Currently, I am getting diagonal lines connecting the points.
>
> Is what I am trying to achieve possible, and if so, how?
>
> Thank you!
I did see Lori's response.  Since I'm kind of new at this, I'm trying to
figure it all out!  LOL!

I've been trying to implement John's suggestion, but my graph still is not
looking quite like what I'm going for (when I duplicate the points on the
X-axis, I'm getting just that...two points).

I've also been experimenting with using error bars (found that on another
thread) but that is giving me a headache as well.

Theresa

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

> I hope you saw Lori Miller's response.
>
> You can also use error bars to make step charts w/o duplicating the data
> set.  See
> Step chart
> http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/step_chart/index.html
>
> --
> Tushar Mehta
> http://www.tushar-mehta.com
> Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach
> In Excel 2007 double-click to format may not work; right click and select
> from the menu
>

> "Theresa9599" wrote:
>
> > I have a set of data with times and a bunch of 0's and 1's.  For example, at
> > 1:30 p.m., I have a 0....2:00 p.m., I have a 1...2:30 p.m. I have a 0, etc.
> >
> > I have my 0's and 1's set up on the vertical axis and the times along the
> > horizontal axis.
> >
> > I want my chart to show horizontal and vertical lines ONLY.  IE:   I want a
> > point at "0" at 1:30 p.m., then I want a horizontal line over to 2:00 p.m.,
> > and then I want a line going straight up to "1", and then I want a horizontal
> > line over to 2:30 p.m., and then I want a vertical line straight down to "0",
> > etc.
> >
> > Currently, I am getting diagonal lines connecting the points.
> >
> > Is what I am trying to achieve possible, and if so, how?
> >
> > Thank you!
I also keep on forgetting to mention that I am using Excel 2007, if that
makes any difference.

The error bar technique on my website works just fine in Excel 2007...almost
fine.

The simple mechanism I remember for Excel 2007 is this.  When specifying
custom ranges, always also specify that you want both 'both' plus and minus
error bars.  Then, in the custom range dialog box set the one that you don't
want to zero.

So, suppose you have the horizontal error bar values in C2:C5 (and C6 is
empty).  Then, to create only plus error bars for the horizontal error bars,
in the error bar dialog box specify 'both' and in the custom range dialog
box, for the plus values select the range C2:C6 and in the minus values box
enter 0.
--

"Theresa9599" wrote:

> I also keep on forgetting to mention that I am using Excel 2007, if that
> makes any difference.

I'm getting there...

Do I have to use a scatter chart to begin?  When I use a scatter chart, I
can't even get close, but then I use a line chart, I can get the Y-Error bars
on there o.k. but not the X-bars (cannot seem to find an option to insert the
X-Error Bars).

Theresa

"Theresa9599" wrote:

The problem with error bars in 2007 is that first it's hard to get to via
the ribbon, then when you select something, it takes a while to modify it to
a useful form.

I got so frustrated I wrote myself a little program to handle error bars for
me. It makes the Excel 2003 error bar experience a little easier, but it
makes error bars much easier in 2007. I've posted the program for anyone to
use:

http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/error-bars-in-excel-2007/

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/>
Advanced Excel Conference - Training in Charting and Programming
http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html
_______

"Tushar Mehta" <NGunder_scorePoster@tushar-hyphen-mehta.SeeOhEm> wrote in
message news:6BEDA72C-2844-4CD4-8E17-A789CD701652@microsoft.com...
> The error bar technique on my website works just fine in Excel
> 2007...almost
> fine.
>
> The simple mechanism I remember for Excel 2007 is this.  When specifying
> custom ranges, always also specify that you want both 'both' plus and
> minus
> error bars.  Then, in the custom range dialog box set the one that you
> don't
> want to zero.
>
> So, suppose you have the horizontal error bar values in C2:C5 (and C6 is
> empty).  Then, to create only plus error bars for the horizontal error
> bars,
> in the error bar dialog box specify 'both' and in the custom range dialog
> box, for the plus values select the range C2:C6 and in the minus values
> box
> enter 0.
> --
> Tushar Mehta
> http://www.tushar-mehta.com
> Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach
> In Excel 2007 double-click to format may not work; right click and select
> from the menu
>

> "Theresa9599" wrote:
>
>> I also keep on forgetting to mention that I am using Excel 2007, if that
>> makes any difference.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
4/25/2009 3:06:38 AM
Use an XY chart. Why do you say it isn't working?

A line chart will not allow horizontal error bars, but an XY chart will.

- Jon
-------

> I'm getting there...
>
> Do I have to use a scatter chart to begin?  When I use a scatter chart, I
> can't even get close, but then I use a line chart, I can get the Y-Error
> bars
> on there o.k. but not the X-bars (cannot seem to find an option to insert
> the
> X-Error Bars).
>
> Theresa
>
> "Theresa9599" wrote:

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
4/25/2009 3:07:50 AM
i think it works because the series formula changes ";" to ","
in arrays. A simpler option is to use:

=SERIES(,(Sheet1!A2:A5,Sheet1!A1:A5),(Sheet1!B1:B4,Sheet1!B1:B5),1)

which applies to line and area charts with time scale x-axis, i.e.
dates or integers, but not to XY charts due to the data ordering.

"Tushar Mehta" <NGunder_scorePoster@tushar-hyphen-mehta.SeeOhEm> wrote in
message news:C30B9399-0B29-4F24-8A41-42F1FCF8A7F3@microsoft.com...
> Nicely done!  I'm not sure why it works since the formulas yield 2D arrays
> but it works.
> --
> Tushar Mehta
> http://www.tushar-mehta.com
> Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach
> In Excel 2007 double-click to format may not work; right click and select
> from the menu
>

> "Lori Miller" wrote:
>
>> To make a dynamic chart you can use insert > name > define...
>>
>> eg: X_Values: =Sheet1!$A$1:$A$5 ; Y_Values: =Sheet1!$B$1:$B$5
>>
>> StepX: =X_Values+{0,0}
>> StepY: =LOOKUP(ROW(Y_Values)-{1,0},ROW(Y_Values),Y_Values)
>>
>> Now set the chart formula to: =SERIES(,Sheet1!StepX,Sheet1!StepY,1)
>>

>> "Theresa9599" <Theresa9599@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a set of data with times and a bunch of 0's and 1's.  For
>> >example,
>> >at
>> > 1:30 p.m., I have a 0....2:00 p.m., I have a 1...2:30 p.m. I have a 0,
>> > etc.
>> >
>> > I have my 0's and 1's set up on the vertical axis and the times along
>> > the
>> > horizontal axis.
>> >
>> > I want my chart to show horizontal and vertical lines ONLY.  IE:   I
>> > want
>> > point at "0" at 1:30 p.m., then I want a horizontal line over to 2:00
>> > p.m.,
>> > and then I want a line going straight up to "1", and then I want a
>> > horizontal
>> > line over to 2:30 p.m., and then I want a vertical line straight down
>> > "0",
>> > etc.
>> >
>> > Currently, I am getting diagonal lines connecting the points.
>> >
>> > Is what I am trying to achieve possible, and if so, how?
>> >
>> > Thank you!

0
LoriMiller (18)

show another column when hovering on a point in a chart
Is it possible to show another column when you hover on a point? I have 3 columns, A, B, and C for a scatter plot I have B and C as x and y coordinates of a point, and I'd like to have Excel show A when I hover on the point. thanks, Wei ...

Right click , drag and drop and cut , copy paste facilities
Why can't we have drag and drop , cut and paste facilities in any of the record forms Pretty limiting eh? Just chalk it up as one of many CRM shortcomings. Sometimes you can right click, sometimes you can't. Just get in the habit of using Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V. -- Brandon Smith IT Director Presentations Direct - Specialized Office Equipment & Supplies http://www.presentationsdirect.com "Nitin" <Nitin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2223FB31-B10E-4EA7-87C0-ED483F5F6E23@microsoft.com... > Why can't we have drag and drop , cut and past...

Has Anyone ever seen a chart like this?
Looking for some help. I need to know what this column chart is called? Or how to make it? 'CLick Here to View Chart' (http://www.f150online.com/galleries/pictureview.cfm?pnum=163585&anum=11244) I can't find any option in Excel to make this chart. Maybe it was not made in Excel? Or I need a specific plugin? -- TsunamiBob ------------------------------------------------------------------------ TsunamiBob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36202 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=559874 Hi, It...

make $$$$ in minutes
If you like receiving Free Cash for doing most anything on the net, then you'll love FreeCash4. We'll help you FATTEN your Wallet! Our Program is simple. Just sign up with your e-mail address and we will send you a link to verify your membership. Next, provide us with a little information about yourself. We need to know Who to send the money to. Once you have completed this step, you just earned some money. FreeCash4-Joining: A quick $5.00! Once inside the member’s area you will have many ways of earning some Free Cash. There is FreeCash4 everyone. You will not be disappointed...

charting newdata
Formula or VBA? I am trying to create a formula to assign a region to populate a chart. I know there is a way to use the OFFSET function to point ot a certain section of a data sheet, but what if i insert a line between the title and the data.(done programmactically)? the problem is that inserted lines do not automatically include into the data range for a chart. The data wants to be sorted from newest to oldest. Would it be easier to create a formula to assign a 'chart data area' or simply reassign the data area every time the table is updated Thanks for the input. ...

Core Chart
Need a picture of an opened sphere showing core and layers. Can you help? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Isabel <ialduen@catholiccharitiesden.com>... > Need a picture of an opened sphere showing core and layers. a) The core of what? A black hole? An apple? A nuclear power plant? b) This is a Microsoft Publisher group. Your question is hardly relavent to the topic of discussion really. Why did you choose this group? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer...

Hierarchy Pyramid Chart
Is there a way (Excel 02), to create a chart that is in the shape of a pyramid/triange (i.e. like a pie graph, but in a triangle instead)??? It doesn't seem to be an option, but maybe some type of addin??? Thanks in advance Nevermind - I realized that the pyramid is actually a diagram. So I inserted a Diagram - Organizational Chart instead and it's just what I needed!!! "Keep It Simple Stupid" wrote: > Is there a way (Excel 02), to create a chart that is in the shape of a > pyramid/triange (i.e. like a pie graph, but in a triangle instead)??? > It doesn't ...

Right Click Safari 404 and paste into Word 2008 only showing address
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Example. I open gmail.com. Right click on the Gmail logo to &quot;copy image&quot; not the &quot;copy image address&quot; option. Then, I open Word 2008 and paste. All I get is the address, not the logo image. If I repeat and use Text Edit (Apple) instead, it works as expected. Is this a bug with Word? Or am I missing a preference setting here set up by default that needs adjusted? Apparently it has to do with how Safari populates the Clipboard � I have no problem pasting the logo with F...

How do I lock a chart so it will not update?
That's the question. I have my data in Excel and the chart in Excel but not all the data cells are used. Everytimg I open the chart it wants to update and I want it to stay the same. Any ideas on how to lock the chart? Hi Just a few ideas: You could lock the cells that are shown in the chart. Or you could copy the cells and paste as values (assuming formulas were used that update when other cells change). -- Wigi http://www.wimgielis.be = Excel/VBA, soccer and music "Locking a Chart" wrote: > That's the question. I have my data in Excel and the chart in ...

Making words in a list a value!!
I am trying to create a list that will generate a value in another column once that word or phrase is chosen. Is this possible and how. Exp. In the drop down list I would chose Product, then in the price column the price automatically appears. brco1, Much better than I could ever explain the process. Here's exactly wha you need. http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html HT -- Case ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Casey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=454 View this thread: http://www.excelforu...

How can I reset the default pie chart label "Other" to "Equity"?
I show Cash, Equities, and Fixed Income in the large pie to the left. The equity slice is further split into large, medium, and small. The problem is that the Equity slice gets relabeled as "Other". When I manuallly change it back to Equity, I lose the ability to link to any new data...so I can't use the pie chart as a template that would allow me to put new data in the table and have the pie chart adjust automaticially. How can I reset the default pie chart label to "Equity"? or is there another solution. Instead of making pie charts (which are notor...

Getting right date value
I setup my DTPicker control to be used only as a date control, yet I'm noticing that sometimes it will give back a date AND a time all in the same "value" variable. Since it appears that a variable of type "Date" can give back both a date and time, how can I eliminate the time half of a date value??? I might not be able to exactly control the DTPicker control to give me JUST a date, so I'm just curious what to do if it gives me back both a date & time. thank u Hi, Try this : Dim x as date x = cdate(clng(DTPicker1.value)) &qu...

Grant admin rights to user account
Can I create user account in GP and grant the same capabilities that sa user has to that account (e.g the new account can create another user account) ? Hi qwerty What version of GP are you runing? Fliehigh "qwerty" wrote: > Can I create user account in GP and grant the same capabilities that sa user > has to that account (e.g the new account can create another user account) ? Hi Fliehigh, I use Version 9. "Fliehigh" wrote: > Hi qwerty > > What version of GP are you runing? > > Fliehigh > > "qwerty" wrote: > > > C...

Chart Wizard #5
Does excel 2007 have a chart wizard? If so, how do I access it? The chart wizard no longer exists in Excel 2007, RIP. You create a chart using the various chart buttons on the Insert tab, then struggle through the three Chart Tools contextual tabs looking for the controls to set up the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Liberty" <Liberty @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C1186EF-4C15-4E3D-A642-D0EA334C1192@microsoft.com... > Does excel...

Easy dynamic chart.
Creating a dynamic chart is difficult, there should be a dynamic chart wizard that will create it with you. Also if my serie value is a name range, it would be nice to just right the Name range directly not with the complex formula. ='xyz.xlsx'!name range but just name range. xyz and name range is a fictive value. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the...

Making a template that puts the current date in the document so that does NOT change
I'd like to make a template that sets up some standard headers and formatting for new Word documents for a night school course I'm enrolled in. Among other requirements for all papers is to put the date the paper was created at the top. I'd furthermore like it so that if I need to reopen the document after creating it to say print another copy, the date written at the top will not change. In other words, when I create a new document using the template the current date is put near the top, but when I subsequently open the file for editing or reprinting it does NOT automat...

Custumize Chart Tittle Description
How can I make the Chart Tittle to be equal to a specific cell located in one sheet. For example, I have a description on the cell "D10" located in the sheetname "Black" . I want this description to be the Chart Tittle because is a number that will change in the daily basic. I have been using this formula "=Black!D10"; however, is not working. Thanks in advance. Maperalia Click on the title, type =, and then click on D10 on Black. Or click on the title, and type =Black!$D$10 -- Rob Powered by Creative Laziness "Maperalia" wrote: > How can I...

My charts do not show when moved as a separate chart tab...
In excel 2007 my charts are displayed when inserted in a a sheet but they do not show when moved as separate tabs ...

Public Folder acces right for user from other domain
Hi, I need to make a public folder accesible for users drom another domain. I have read that this can be done by configuring the folder as a publicly available newsgroup but how do I do this? Mario ...

How do I make a summary page in Excel 2008?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a sheet with all my data (several columns, one of which is &quot;name&quot; and others are things like &quot;address,&quot; &quot;notes,&quot; etc.). Then I have another sheet which is the summary. I want to be able to choose a name from a drop-down list (I figured out how to do that) for the &quot;Name&quot; and have the other fields ('address,&quot; &quot;notes,&quot; etc.) fill in automatically with the information that corresponds to that name. <br><...

How can I make data entry easier?
I am creating a catalogue of information resources and need to classify each according to the subject(s) it covers. I have created two tables, tblResources and tblSubjects, and a table that joins them. I can easily create a form for the resources with a subform to list the subjects with a drop-down box from which to pick. However, with a very long list of subjects, it's a bit unwieldy. I know that the people who will be undertaking the classification would love check boxes on a form they can tick. Is there a simple way of setting this up for them? Would I have to writ...

How can I use a form (Excel) to add a column of data to the right.
How can I use a form (Excel) to add a column of data to the right of a list? It's a simple matter to add a column to the left of a list by writing a macro that inserts a column and then pastes the values. However I want to have the data pasted on the right of a list, if only so that I can easily run a chart from it. ...