How do I use a single cell value to chart a horizontal line in Exc

Background: I am making a chart where monthly expenses are represented by
vertical bars and the monthly budget is a constant, for the entire year,
which is represented by a horizontal line. If a vertical bar for a particular
month rises above the horizontal budget line then I have exceeded my budget
for that month.

What I can do: I can create this chart if I use a monthly budget row where
each cell in the row has the same value.

What I want to do: To keep my spreadsheet manageable, I want to have the
monthly budget specified by a single cell, rather than an entire row, because
it is a constant for the entire yerar.
0
IRA (11)

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Ira <Ira@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>I am making a chart where monthly expenses are represented by
>vertical bars and the monthly budget is a constant, for the entire year,
>which is represented by a horizontal line.

>What I can do: I can create this chart if I use a monthly budget row where
>each cell in the row has the same value.

I don't see why this is such a problem; it looks like a very good
solution to me.

>What I want to do: To keep my spreadsheet manageable, I want to have the
>monthly budget specified by a single cell, rather than an entire row, because
>it is a constant for the entire year.

If you feel you must, then you can create a named array formula whose
size is the same as the number of columns in the expenses range, which
is entirely filled with the value of the budget. Let us imagine that the
expenses row is a range called EXPENSES and the budget value is held in
a single cell called BUDGETVALUE.

(you don't have to actually give these ranges names if you don't want
to, it just makes it easier for me to describe the formula I'm about to
recommend)

Then create a named range called BUDGET, using the following formula in
the "Refers to:" input box:

=MMULT(BUDGETVALUE,EXPENSES/EXPENSES)

(Explanation: EXPENSES/EXPENSES creates a row array the same size as
EXPENSES, but filled with ones. Multiplying it by BUDGETVALUE makes the
row array be filled with the budget value instead)

Then create your series in the chart, as usual, but using the named
range BUDGET instead of a cell range. I must repeat though, that the
first idea is actually much *more* manageable, not less. But this
solution gets you your single cell budget value with no wasted cells.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, I said:
>Then create a named range called BUDGET, using the following formula in
>the "Refers to:" input box:
>
>=MMULT(BUDGETVALUE,EXPENSES/EXPENSES)

Sorry, that formula falls over if the expenses row contains any zero
values. This will work better:

=MMULT(BUDGETVALUE,ODD(EXPENSES)/ODD(EXPENSES))

The ODD() rounding function will ensure the number will never be zero,
no matter what. If anyone has a more elegant way of achieving the same
result, can they post it?

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Ira" <Ira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Background: I am making a chart where monthly expenses are represented by
> vertical bars and the monthly budget is a constant, for the entire year,
> which is represented by a horizontal line. If a vertical bar for a
> particular
> month rises above the horizontal budget line then I have exceeded my
> budget
> for that month.
>
> What I can do: I can create this chart if I use a monthly budget row where
> each cell in the row has the same value.
>
> What I want to do: To keep my spreadsheet manageable, I want to have the
> monthly budget specified by a single cell, rather than an entire row,
> because
> it is a constant for the entire yerar.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
4/27/2007 9:13:10 PM
Hi Del,

I was able create the named range called BUDGET as you described. However I
was unable to use BUDGET as a series value in the Source Data window of the
Chart Wizard.

-Ira

"Del Cotter" wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
> Ira <Ira@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
> >I am making a chart where monthly expenses are represented by
> >vertical bars and the monthly budget is a constant, for the entire year,
> >which is represented by a horizontal line.
>
> >What I can do: I can create this chart if I use a monthly budget row where
> >each cell in the row has the same value.
>
> I don't see why this is such a problem; it looks like a very good
> solution to me.
>
> >What I want to do: To keep my spreadsheet manageable, I want to have the
> >monthly budget specified by a single cell, rather than an entire row, because
> >it is a constant for the entire year.
>
> If you feel you must, then you can create a named array formula whose
> size is the same as the number of columns in the expenses range, which
> is entirely filled with the value of the budget. Let us imagine that the
> expenses row is a range called EXPENSES and the budget value is held in
> a single cell called BUDGETVALUE.
>
> (you don't have to actually give these ranges names if you don't want
> to, it just makes it easier for me to describe the formula I'm about to
> recommend)
>
> Then create a named range called BUDGET, using the following formula in
> the "Refers to:" input box:
>
> =MMULT(BUDGETVALUE,EXPENSES/EXPENSES)
>
> (Explanation: EXPENSES/EXPENSES creates a row array the same size as
> EXPENSES, but filled with ones. Multiplying it by BUDGETVALUE makes the
> row array be filled with the budget value instead)
>
> Then create your series in the chart, as usual, but using the named
> range BUDGET instead of a cell range. I must repeat though, that the
> first idea is actually much *more* manageable, not less. But this
> solution gets you your single cell budget value with no wasted cells.
>
> --
> Del Cotter
> NB Personal replies to this post will send email to del@branta.demon.co.uk,
>     which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead.

0
IRA (11)
4/28/2007 3:22:02 PM
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Ira <Ira@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>"Del Cotter" wrote:
>> create your series in the chart, as usual, but using the named
>> range BUDGET instead of a cell range. I must repeat though, that the
>> first idea is actually much *more* manageable, not less. But this
>> solution gets you your single cell budget value with no wasted cells.
>
>I was able create the named range called BUDGET as you described. However I
>was unable to use BUDGET as a series value in the Source Data window of the
>Chart Wizard.

I think that, as with all uses of a named range in chart series, you
need to explicitly refer to the sheet the data series is in. Because the
chart isn't in any sheet, it can't just assume the name is in its own
sheet, it has to be told.

So if you've written the data in Sheet1, then you need to refer to the
range as Sheet1!BUDGET instead of just BUDGET. See if that works for
you.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

-Ira

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "Ira" <Ira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Background: I am making a chart where monthly expenses are represented by
> > vertical bars and the monthly budget is a constant, for the entire year,
> > which is represented by a horizontal line. If a vertical bar for a
> > particular
> > month rises above the horizontal budget line then I have exceeded my
> > budget
> > for that month.
> >
> > What I can do: I can create this chart if I use a monthly budget row where
> > each cell in the row has the same value.
> >
> > What I want to do: To keep my spreadsheet manageable, I want to have the
> > monthly budget specified by a single cell, rather than an entire row,
> > because
> > it is a constant for the entire yerar.

0
IRA (11)
4/28/2007 7:48:01 PM
Never mind what I said about the line not changing. I was changing the wrong
cell. Your solution works beautifully. Thanks so much for the help.

Ira

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>

> "Ira" <Ira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Background: I am making a chart where monthly expenses are represented by
> > vertical bars and the monthly budget is a constant, for the entire year,
> > which is represented by a horizontal line. If a vertical bar for a
> > particular
> > month rises above the horizontal budget line then I have exceeded my
> > budget
> > for that month.
> >
> > What I can do: I can create this chart if I use a monthly budget row where
> > each cell in the row has the same value.
> >
> > What I want to do: To keep my spreadsheet manageable, I want to have the
> > monthly budget specified by a single cell, rather than an entire row,
> > because
> > it is a constant for the entire yerar.

0
IRA (11)
4/28/2007 7:50:03 PM
Oops!

- Jon
-------

> Never mind what I said about the line not changing. I was changing the
> wrong
> cell. Your solution works beautifully. Thanks so much for the help.
>
> Ira
>
> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "Ira" <Ira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Background: I am making a chart where monthly expenses are represented
>> > by
>> > vertical bars and the monthly budget is a constant, for the entire
>> > year,
>> > which is represented by a horizontal line. If a vertical bar for a
>> > particular
>> > month rises above the horizontal budget line then I have exceeded my
>> > budget
>> > for that month.
>> >
>> > What I can do: I can create this chart if I use a monthly budget row
>> > where
>> > each cell in the row has the same value.
>> >
>> > What I want to do: To keep my spreadsheet manageable, I want to have
>> > the
>> > monthly budget specified by a single cell, rather than an entire row,
>> > because
>> > it is a constant for the entire yerar.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
4/28/2007 11:01:17 PM
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Ira <Ira@discussions.microsoft.com> said:
>Never mind what I said about the line not changing. I was changing the wrong
>cell. Your solution works beautifully. Thanks so much for the help.

You're welcome, and thanks for following up.

--
Del Cotter
del1907 (586)

A macro to increase line spacing
I'm trying to make a macro on my Word 2007 "Quick Access Toolbar" that will add 6 points after each line that I've selected. When I record a macro to do this, it adds the 6 points fine, but then sets the indent at "0", which was what the paragraph had when I recorded the macro. What I'd like it to do is ignore the indent of whatever paragraph I'm using the macro on, leave it as it is, and just add 6 points. Any suggestions how to do that? Here is how the Macro reads in VB--perhaps if I alter some of the parameters that would do it. Thanks for...

Hyperlink via indirect cell reference

Use Form to prompt for report criteria

Naming charts on own sheet
Hi. I have a series of charts (which are all contained on their own sheets). I need to name each of the charts (as they will be used by someone else in a macro). I have tried clicking on them and also pressing shift before clicking on them, and I am not able to change the name in the name combo box. Can anyone advise me of how I can change the names. Thanks for your help. Hi, If you have chart sheets you can change the name by simply changing the sheet tab name. What you described is the method used on chartobjects, which are usually on a worksheet. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Mi...

Rename Cell
How can I rename column A to read "bills" instead of the letter A? You can't. The closest you will get is to hide column headings, via Excel Option, and then create your own. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "shoe" <shoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBA970DF-D928-41EE-9565-4639E7D49BCE@microsoft.com... > How can I rename column A to read "bills" instead of the letter A? you cant change the headers or row labels but you can define you data as a list (or table) and the headings can then be used to refer...

merging 2 cells without losing data?

Create static text from cell reference

loan amortisatio chart not updating
Hi, I use MS Monet 2007 premium. I have created a loan amortisation account which breaks up my monthly instslment into pricipal and interest. The loan commencd from 7 October 2005 and is for a period of 5 years. The problem is that the loan account does ot show any loan instalments beyond 7 October 2006 (exactly 1 year after the commencement). Why is this happening. Why is the account not updating with instalments which have been debited to my account after 7 October 2007. Please help. Were you depending on downloaded transaction data for this account? Did the download link br...

Cell Format #4

Getting contents of adjacent cells

How do I make a chart with several times during a day
Hi, This seems like it may be a simple thing, yet I can not for the life of me figure out how to do this (or at least semi-easily with VBing it for a while). I have a simple table filled with the following information (example for simplicity): 12pm 5pm 10pm 11/20 5 4 7 11/21 5 4 7 11/23 5 4 7 11/24 5 4 7 11/25 5 4 7 So basically I am keeping track of a numeric value three times a day. I would like to make a chart of it with...

survival chart
Hi! Does anybody have an idea how it would be possible to trick Excel into making a survival plot? That is a stepped graph ploting cumulative survival on the y axis and time slots on the x. Any suggestion would be most appreciated. Andrej Andrej - I don't have a 'survival plot' per se, but you could look for ideas on my web site. The cumulative probability plot sounds like a possible candidate: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/ProbabilityChart.html If it doesn't give you any idea, post back with some typical data, and we'll have a look. - Jo...

Not using zeros in graphing.
I have a running workbook that has tons of information. I have added a sum page in order to have all the data summed up in one simple place. I have formulas that read back into the workbook to link to a cell. Depending on what moth it is, that cell could be empty as it is a yearly wookbook. For example, if this is August, then there is information in the workbook up to August, but none after. With that said, the sum page has the #DIV/0! in the cell which essentially equals zero. I also have graphs that I have linked to this sum page. My problem is in order to keep the graphs up to...

Chart "Benchmark" Line Graph Question
I am generating a graph of many team's monthly audit productivity percentages (bar graph) with a "benchmark" (line graph) at 95% (y axis) across 6 month period (x axis). The problem is that the line graph appears on the graph but the ends of the line are centered in the end columns (left & right). Is there as simple way to extend the benchmark line out to the edges of the graph? MJ Have a great day and live life with passion! ...

cell selection gone crazy on Excel 2003

Chart printing issue in Excel 2007

Average of logic cells
I used a logic test to determine some levels from raw scores. For EG >120 =5, 119-110 = 4, etc. I now want to dtermine an average score of several of the the results from the logic tests but it doesnt seem to work. (AVG does not recognise cells with logic tests) Can anyone help, please? -- ckdkvk ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ckdkvk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29245 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=489704 hi, ckdkvk ! > I used a logic test to determine so...

trying to link maps and pie charts
Hello I was trying to link sales data stored in an excel table with a specific country in MapPoint. This software allows you to do this very easily. You can even picture the data in piecharts (% sales for each competitor). However there is very little flexibility with the look of the result: you cannot choose the color of the slices of the pie, you may not display data on the graph, and the maps do not look very professional. I know it is possible to link automatically a table with a shape in visio. Can this shape be a given country/region on a map? Can the callouts have th...