how do I show a discontinuous chart axis

--
Sam

See Jon Peltier's work
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"SamR" <SamR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> --
> Sam

0
Bernard

Chart icons grayed out
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Starting new Excel for Mac 2008 workpage with column of data; clicking on Gallery to start makeing chart. Toolbar comes up but can not select a chart type (they are grayed out). Why? Where to go from here? ...

What happened to Pivot Table "Show Pages"?
What happened to the functionality in Pivot Tables to write a new worksheet for each value in a Page Field? I'm sure that it was available in earlier versions of Excel, indeed there are references to "show pages" in other threads in this group, but I can't find it in Excel 2003. Did it go away? -- Jim On the Pivot Table toolbar, choose PivotTable > Show Pages Jim Molter wrote: > What happened to the functionality in Pivot Tables to write a new worksheet > for each value in a Page Field? > I'm sure that it was available in earlier versions of Excel, in...

Plotting a fixed level line on a chart
I have created a bar graph that shows responses to a survey. The survey is anonymous so the graph does not reveal the ID of repondants against the individual bars on the graph. However, when I print the graph in a customized survey report, I want the graph to show each respondant how they performed against the rest of the group by changing the colour of their individual data point. I can manually do this by simply selecting and changing the colour of a specific data point. Is there a way to do this dynamically? Hi, You could adapted the conditional charting approach. Create a colu...

Newbie wants to create a chart in an Access Report
I have been using Access 2003 for a year or so, and now I would like to create a chart, but am clueless how to do this using the Wizard I have conducted a survey - the results of which are presented in a spreadsheet (EXCEL) I imported it into an Access data base table, but now would like to have a bar chart that shows how many men and women (2 bars) took the survey (This is a field in the table) I would have thought this was easy, but I can't seem to even get close Can you help ?? Many Thanks JM There is a complete demo of a survey at http://www.rogersacce...

Personal folder size showing different
Hello all, Pls help me. I had a question. Why is outlook personal folder size showing 2706KB but in Windows explorer it shows only 2500KB... why does it show different and not the same... appreciate reply asap. thanks ...

Word 2007 show combined revisions in one document
I combined several sets of revisions in one document and noticed a peculiarity: when a word was replaced without deleting the space after the word and inserting a new space, the deleted word would show up twice in the combined-revisions document -- once before the inserted word and once after. So it looked like this: (replacing "dogs" with "cats" -- I'm USING caps to show the deleted word) I like DOGScatsDOGS. Where the space had been left in, it looked correct: I like DOGS cats. There was no problem in this respect with the individual redlined do...

Issues Printing Bubble Chart on Canon Printer
We just installed a new Canon printer and when we printed Excel Bubble Charts on the printer, they are rendered as squares, with inscribed circles. The bubbles are formatted to be shaded, so the squares are shaded. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to fix it? We PDF'd the document and found that the printing problem has disappeared in the PDF'd version. Now we're missing a font on the computer that has the Adobe Acrobat application. If it's not one thing, it's another. I'm still interested in understanding why there's a problem however. "...

why no email showing from 2/25/2010 or earlier?
Was out of the office from 2/25/2010 through 3/3/2010. Email only goes back to 2/26/2010, and all email from 2/25/2010 or earlier does not show. How do I find my incoming email from 2/25/2010 or earlier? Perhaps you are only looking at UNread mail? Chris wrote: > Was out of the office from 2/25/2010 through 3/3/2010. > > Email only goes back to 2/26/2010, and all email from 2/25/2010 or earlier > does not show. How do I find my incoming email from 2/25/2010 or earlier? "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E...

Adjusting gridlines on the x-axis
i have a graph that runs from 1 to 32 on the x-axis and 0 to 3 on the y-axis. i want to adjust the gridlines on both axes to 1x1 and .5x.5 and .25x.25. adjusting the y- axis gridlines is easy, i just double click on the y-axis and enter whatever values i want for each gridline. however on the x-axis i am stuck with gridlines at 1 for the major gridlines and .5 for the minor gridlines. anybody know how i can change the x-axis gridline to .25 thanks Eli - You only have this amount of control over a value axis, not a category axis. To get a value axis on the X axis, you need to make...

Outlook show localhost for server requires password now
Outlook keeps changing pop3 address to local host and now requires me to supply password to retrieve mail every time it quiries server. This seems to be a recent change and I am unable to change this. I have always been able to leave email on in the background, now the password popup interferes with other activities. Does anyone have a solution to this? I'm going to guess that you recently installed some kind of anti-virus e-mail scanner like Symantec? If so, that's normal - though it should have a way to save the password. Which version of Outlook are you using and did you, i...

Is there any way to atttach a callout to a point in a chart series?
I use the drawing toolbar, and put a callout into a chart, with the point of the callout touching a pointon the chart. But, if the chart re-scales, then the callout no longer points to the same series point that it used to. Is there a way to anchor that callout to a particular point in a chart series, so that the chart can rescale and the callout still refers to the same point? Thank you. Tom ...

Polar chart... how
Hello How can I make a polar chart? Seems like such a fundamental object yet virtually impossible in MS Excel.. any ideas...examples ... help Thank you Ralph Andy Pope has an add in here. http://www.andypope.info/charts/polarplot.htm "Ralph2" <nonefound@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:obtdm1lp2vk077fs0lgdcvgnsbi8u9gtts@4ax.com... > Hello > > How can I make a polar chart? Seems like such a fundamental object > yet virtually impossible in MS Excel.. > > any ideas...examples ... help > Thank you > Ralph > On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 05:12:20 -0500...

How can I show a dialog box "Run As Other User" under Windows2000?
How can I show a dialog box "Run As Other User" under Windows2000? do this programmatically "Marco" <sorry@nomail.com> д���ʼ� news:eVZfAcFqDHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > How can I show a dialog box "Run As Other User" under Windows2000? > > ...

x-axis display
Hi All, I'm creating a series of small charts to display on a single printed page, and one comparison I do is comparing this year numbers to last for the calendar year. I'm using a bar chart with two series, 2007 and 2006. The x-axis values are the month of the year, 1 through 12. The numbers display correctly on some graphs, but on others the right-most digit gets truncated, so I get "1" instead of "11" for November. I've tried playing around with the number of tick-marks between category labels value, wiht no luck, and I've also changed the number...

To Break Y-Axis for multiple data series
Hi, I have a lot of data in which sometimes data varies too much that some bars raise up to 1000s and some remain within 100s. now, to overcome this problem I used Peltier Tech’s solution (http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html) to break the y-axis which works fine when I used that for single data series. Now the problem is my data spans through 8 categories and 12 Months. My data looks something like this: Customers Jan Feb Mar Apr May June AAA 25 29 12 25 29 12 BBB 26 69 23 26 69 23 CCC 12 23 32 12 23 32 DDD 29 24 70 29 24 70 EEE 19 12 12 19 12 12 FF...

Line chart colors

Refreshing a chart via VBA
Hi, I've tried for one entire day to refresh properly a chart via VBA but couldn't make it .... here's the problem : i have a big spreadsheet with several cpu-intensive ranges and i refresh them via vba with range(...).select , selection.calculate to save precious cpu-time but this way, a chart that is attached to this range is not updated so i tried to do this via vba but all the solutions i tried sucked in at least one major way a hint from a pro ? ...

Can chart previews be turned off
I use excell for charts up to 30 series with as much as 28,000 data points per series, I know what selections I want and do not need previews, is there a way to turn them off so I don't have to contantly wait for the previews to finish everytime I make any change. ...

My fonts don't show up in Excel or Word...
I just installed Office 2007 and none of my fonts show up in the drop down menu. Can anyone help??? Thanks. Sorry: this newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. You'd be best off reposting your question to a newsgroup related to Excel or Word. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Monica L" <Monica L@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7CB2381-F5F4-471C-B118-1549C7D7069F@microsoft.com... >I just installed Office 2007 and none of my fonts sho...

How to make a chart with a big range of data?
Hi I'm trying to make a chart selecting the whole column as data to plot on the chart. But it doesn't work .. I have many rows with data (about 250) and it's going to be more .. How do I make this chart only once, without having to extend the chart source every time I add more data? Thanks a lot. Kroko I have just asked a very similar question, I will monitor your answers also. bobf >-----Original Message----- >Hi >I'm trying to make a chart selecting the whole column as >data to plot on the chart. But it doesn't work .. I have >many rows with data...

Requirement in Bar chart
Hi, I have a new requirement in Bar chart. I have 3 columns, one for X axis and other 2 in Y axis( both primary). Now I need to join the middle top of the data points in columns. How can I do this? When I tried using combined bar and line chart, by repeating the columns, the line is joing the corner of the bars. How can I join the top middle of the bar? Thanks in advance. Rajeshkumar S -- rajeshkumar ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rajeshkumar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24672 View this thread: ht...

Are Pivot Charts only useful with limited number of categories(x-axis)?
I'm brand new to Pivot Charts and trying to figure out what I thought would be simple: I have a Column Chart with $Sales for the Y axis and Salesperson on the X(category) axis. There are hundreds of salespeople, which results in the chart displaying extremely thin lines with totally unreadable category labels( salesperson initials). Is there not a way to specifiy a gap between categories on the X axis? Or some way to space them apart and be able to scroll the chart horizontally? I have a feeling you are all going to tell me scrolling is just a dream :) TIA, -Mike ...

Charting
I have a value in Column A and a calculated value in column B =if(A1,A1*14,"") I want to plot column B on a chart, however where there is no data in A then the chart plots B as a zero, but I don't want it to plot anything if there is no data. Can anyone help this relative novice? Thanks in anticipation Dave Hi, Charts will treat "" as zero. As charts treat all text within value ranges as zero. So instead use NA() in your formula. =if(A1,A1*14,NA()) Cheers Andy Dave Jones wrote: > I have a value in Column A and a calculated value in column B > =if(A1,A1...

Show Window
I am currently developing a MFC SDI application. I want to integrate a tray icon with it. When the application is minimized it hides by ShowWindow(SW_HIDE) and then when double clicked on tray icon shown by ShowWindow(SW_SHOWNORMAL). But the problem is if some other application is activated after my application is minimized, ShowWindow shows it but it's behind some screen. I have tried with SetFocus didn't work. Please help me to solve this problem. Thank you. Varuna Try BringWindowToTop. ---- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com In addition to Ajay's idea you can also use SetFor...

Stacked Column Chart...HELP NEEDED
I would like to stack 2 sets of data side by side for each month. For example, I have Category A (type 1, type 2) and Category B (type 1, type 2). I am using a stacked column chart and cannot seem to do this without jumbling around the data section which doesn't make for easy understanding. Different chart type? Any ideas? If you stagger your data, you can create side-by-side stacked columns. Bernard Liengme has an example and instructions on his site: http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Columns.htm and the following MSKB article has an example: XL200...