How do I lock a chart so it will not update?

That's the question.  I have my data in Excel and the chart in Excel but not
all the data cells are used.  Everytimg I open the chart it wants to update
and I want it to stay the same.

Any ideas on how to lock the chart?
0
chart (14)

Hi

Just a few ideas:

You could lock the cells that are shown in the chart.

Or you could copy the cells and paste as values (assuming formulas were used
that update when other cells change).

--
Wigi
http://www.wimgielis.be = Excel/VBA, soccer and music

"Locking a Chart" wrote:

> That's the question.  I have my data in Excel and the chart in Excel but not
> all the data cells are used.  Everytimg I open the chart it wants to update
> and I want it to stay the same.
>
> Any ideas on how to lock the chart?
0
Wigi (97)
8/2/2007 8:12:02 AM
Paste a picture of the chart into the worksheet. Select the chart. Hold
Shift while selecting the Edit menu, choose Copy Picture. Choose the On
Screen and As Picture options. Select another cell and paste normally.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Locking a Chart" <Locking a Chart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:6FE54225-3FA0-4A89-8E0C-A3210AC5D23B@microsoft.com...
> That's the question.  I have my data in Excel and the chart in Excel but
> not
> all the data cells are used.  Everytimg I open the chart it wants to
> update
> and I want it to stay the same.
>
> Any ideas on how to lock the chart?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

control charts #2
Might some direct me to some good examples of control charts and or directions for creating. I have been asked to get up to speed on them and this is somehting new for me. Thanks Jon Peltier has information on creating them in EXCEL, http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/statscharts.html I'd suggest you do some reading on control charts from other sites. There should be something here that could help you. http://www.isixsigma.com/st/control_charts/ "Todd F." wrote: > Might some direct me to some good examples of control charts and or > directions for creatin...

Update
What is Happening? This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums. Why? As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier for active contributors to retain their influence, mitiga...

Dynamic series in Chart
Guys, I have a spreadsheet with timestamps on col A, then Col B contains the values correspond to timestamps in ColA (Col C thru Col M are similar to Col B as well). I am trying to build a chart in function of time (meaning Values for the X axis would be B2..M2, and Y axis would be B3..M3 for the 1 series, then B3..M3 for the values in x-axis, and B4..M4 for Y axis, so on...). Number of rows is subject to change (time stamp entries), and I am only interested for the last 21 entries (if there is less than 21 entries, plot them all, otherwise, only plot the last 21 entries). For ...

Chart update automatically
Sometimes I start a data list to chart, create a chart then add data and the chart automatically updates as I add to the data list. The X axis grows with each entry. Other times, I do what I think is the same thing but the chart lays dormant. I actually have to manually update the series range. Nothing I do seems to make it "automatic". Is there a way to make any chart (new or existing) update automatically when dynamic data is involved? Hi, The chart will update automatically if, - you based the chart on a List (Table in xl2007) - created and used a dynamic named range - i...

Locking cells #9
I'm using Excel 2003 under Win XP SP3 Is it possible to lock some contiguous cells so they cannot be deleted or changed but may still be moved elsewhere on the worksheet? Ideally I'd like to copy individual cells from the protected block I'm a beginner with Excel so please no fancy VB code TIA Stubass Possible yes but................ Only if the area to which they(it) are being pasted is an unlocked range. After the locked cells are copied to the new area, they will have to be re-locked at that area if you don't want the copied cells to be edited. The originals will r...

update worksheet in one file with worksheet in another file
I want to have one worksheet in one of my excel files (file 1) to reflect the contents of a worksheet in another file (file 2) every time it is opened (file 1), that is, everytime it is opened this one tab should reflect the last changes made on the tab in another file, including formating. I suspect this is possible but I don't have a clue how to do it. I have a few questions: Can this be done without VBA? (I'm not even a beginner with VBA!) I did search the web some and found the following that looks interesting: http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadI...

80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error 03-04-10
3 security updates will not complete (now 4). Error Code 80070490 02-Mar-10 I am unable to do these three security updates: KB970238(release date 6/9/09), KB97451(release date 10/13/09), KB954155(release date 10/13/09), & KB975517(release date 10/13/09). The last succesful update was KB9937286 on 2/27/2010 I have a Compaq Presario PC: SR5214X. OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Basic Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002 OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Manufacturer Compaq-Presario System Model GV441AA-ABA SR5214X System Type X86-based PC ...

Scrolling chart
http://www.andypope.info/charts/Scrolling.htm I am confused where the reference range SCROLL_DATA and SCROLL_LABELS are set. -- slamm ------------------------------------------------------------------------ slamm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15018 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=382363 In Insert, Name, Define, (the normal place to find a named-range), an also read the Offset Worksheet function in Help for furthe explanation. Hope this help -- Bryan Hesse ---------------------------------------------...

How do I stop axis titles from overlapping with negative chart da.
The negative bar charts overlap with the category titles. I've tried offset, but it won't let me move the text more than '1000' units, and it still overlaps. Hi, You can find an explanation here. http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip002.htm Cheers Andy KarenNeedsHelp wrote: > The negative bar charts overlap with the category titles. I've tried offset, > but it won't let me move the text more than '1000' units, and it still > overlaps. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info Hi Karen - Double click on the category titles o...

xy Scatter chart #3
I will try to explain this to the best of my knowledge: I have a spreadsheet with some information that is set up like this: Example Risk Impact Probability Director Trls Med 3 1 Wrong Trips High 4 3 Upgrade JAX Low 1 1 These numbers are generated from a series of questions that determine wether the risk is a high, med, or low factor. So there is really no way of knowing what numbers determines a Low, Med, or High Risk The numbers will never go higher than a 4 and lower th...

Charting depending on criteria & data series name as a column val
I want to chart some prices as I want to take a look at price trends. My problems, and I can not figure out how to solve them, are: 1. Is it possible to dynamically change the chart depending on certain criteria (product family & selected customers) 2. As the number of customers is variable and they are in one of the columns. Is it possible to plot a series (customer name), depending on the name of a column? 3. I want to chart the data based on the date, but just include the dates available, to prevent periods of time showing no change (e.g. I don't want monthly ticks for the x a...

How do I add an indicator line to a Gantt chart in excel?
I have created a Gantt chart in Excel. I would like to indicate a specific date - most of the time today's date - by a vertical line showing how many days have passed and how many yet to go for specific tasks. I have attempted to create an 'XY graph' on top of the bar/Gantt chart, but the two do not seem to be compatible. Hi, See my examples of various ways of adding a datum line to a chart. I'm pretty sure one of the techniques should work for you. http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Steve wrote: > I have created a Gantt chart in Excel. I...

Click on a Pie Chart
Hi, I'm pretty sure this isn't possible but..... I've been asked if it's possible to click (or double click) on a slice of a pie chart and jump to the data it represents (the same as you can in a pivot table). Many thanks Paul I can't speak for 2007, but I recall a few years ago I was looking at making a pie chart clickable to "drill down" in 2003, updating the pie chart to show the component measures of the wedge that was clicked on. It appeared to be possible using VBA, but then the project was terminated before it really started. I can&#...

Previous year data into chart
I currently have a whole table of data imported into Excel from Access. The only problem is, i cannot seem to import the data for the previous year using a query. With the data i would like to create a chart for the past 12 month, i.e the last 12 cells (as the data is taken monthly). Can i select data for the last 12 months that will remain the last 12 months even when the worksheet is refreshed every month? How my data looks: Date % Acknowledged % Investigated 09/2005 85 99 10/2005 ...

Excel locks up
My Excel won't let me type in anything. It doesn't respond. What can I do to resolve this? Here's a link that points at Chip Pearson's notes to help diagnose startup problems: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StartupErrors.htm mstang20 wrote: > > My Excel won't let me type in anything. It doesn't > respond. What can I do to resolve this? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

User Entity
Hi, I was wondering how others keep the User records in CRM updated with the Active Directory information like phone numbers, etc. Has anyone written a Windows Script to take this action or are you using other methods? Thank you ...

combo box list updating
Hi - I would like my combo box list to change base on the value of A1. That is, I have its input range being B1:F1 - "Year 1", " Year 2" etc. Example: -If cell A1 is the value "10" then the combo box default list item would be "Year 1" (which is cell "B1") -If cell A1 is the value "20" then the combo box default list item would be "Year 2" (which is cell "C1") ETC... Thanks for your help - Jim A ...

Automatically updating cells on other worksheets when data typed into primary sheet
I'm trying to create a workbook that will allow me to enter data on the first sheet and it will then append the data to a second sheet by automatically starting a new line. Example: I enter "This is a test" into A1 on sheet 1 First available line on sheet2 automatically updates with "This is a test" When it comes to enter something new in A1 on sheet1, same function above goes into action, accept it should be on the next available line which will be A2 on sheet2, as A1 is already used by previous data entry. Can this be done? I would appreciate any help with this. ...

Outlook 2003 will not send #2
I have been using Outlook 2003 for about 2 weeks now and it has been working perfectly. Yesterday I sent some mail that should have received a reply...no reply, so I sent some mail to myself. It shows that it went out in the sent box but I never received it. Did this a number of times...no success. All the settings are the same as before. When I use the test settings, it sends and I receive it. I then set up Outlook Express and tried that ...it works fine. I also did the repair operation...no success. Please help! Thank you Could you turn on diagnostic logging (see http://support.microsoft....

Excel Charts in Word
I have a word report I need to do every month. The data and charts are in excel and the data changes monthly. How do I get the excel charts linked into a word document so that when I enter the new data in the excel spreadsheet that is automaitically updated in the report in the word docuemnt? Thanks Copy the Excel chart. In Word, use Edit menu > Paste Special, and select the Paste Link option. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Marc" <Marc@discussions.microso...

using picture on charts in exel 2002
After I updated to Exel 2002 the pictures I had displayed on a chart wall does not print properly... It looks fine on print preview but when you actually print it only show's a small portion of the picture... Before the update I had no problem... I have tryed every thing I know to make the correction.... Nothing has worked so far... Thanks The only thing that comes to mind is everyone's favorite whipping boy. Do your printer drivers need updating? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ _______ jdishner...

How do I create a donut chart in Excel
How can I import Outlook Calender months into Excel and create a donut chart? Can anybody help me? Thanks ...

How to enlarge stacked chart plot area
In most chart types, I can grab a corner and the chart will expand as I pull it. Not so with 100% stacked chart. How can I make it larger than 1/4 of the page? TIA Carole Is it a pivot chart? The inability to resize the plot area of pivot charts is yet another reason I rarely use them. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Carole O wrote: > In most chart types, I can grab a corner and the chart will expand as I pull > it. Not so with 100% stacked chart. How can I make it large...

Problem linking excel charts in word
I have linked an excel chart into a word document by pasting special as a link. It looks fine when I paste it. I close the application and when I open it again the chart is cut off on the left, and sometimes at the top. It's as if the chart itself is off the edge of the frame it is sitting in. The chart in excel is perfectly OK. I can edit the excel chart, and edits are updated in the word document when links are updated, but it doesn't change the position of teh chart, so it's still cutting off part of the chart. The chart is on it's own sheet rather than being i...

MDI App will no longer open file by double clicking associated filetype
OK, I had an app which was originally based upon an MDI app. It has been 'modded' to add various functionalities with code from www.codeguru.com and www.codeproject.com. Unfortunately, I just recently noticed that the ability to double click on the associated filetype (from a folder, desktop, etc) now no longer works. Instead, I get a messagebox: Title: (pathname of file) Message: Windows cannot find '(pathname of file).' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search. This is on Windows XP. ...