How do I keep formatting when creating a chart from a pivot?

I have a data source that I use to create various pivots and the I use thos
pivots to create graphs. I replace the detail for the pivots each month and
refreash each pivot which updates the graphs.  The problem is the column and
data values lose their formatting when I refreash the pivots.  Is there a way
to make the formatting of the graph stay?

Hi, this is a well-known nuisance. One workaround is to record a macro
while you do the formatting and then run the macro after you refresh the
pivot data.

regards, teylyn

--
teylyn

Teylyn  --  'teylyn.posterous.com' (http://teylyn.posterous.com)
teylyn's Profile: 983
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=188416

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/chat.php

0
teylyn
3/17/2010 8:19:02 PM
This nuisance is unacceptable!!

Kevin;674443 Wrote:

> I have a data source that I use to create various pivots and the I use
> thos
> > pivots to create graphs. I replace the detail for the pivots each month
> and
> > refreash each pivot which updates the graphs.  The problem is the
> column and
> > data values lose their formatting when I refreash the pivots.  Is there
> a way
> > to make the formatting of the graph stay?
>

> --
> teylyn
>
> Teylyn  --  'teylyn.posterous.com' (http://teylyn.posterous.com)
> teylyn's Profile: 983
> View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=188416
>
> http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/chat.php
>
> .

conditional formatting
I want to format column I (highlight cell) under the following condition the value in same row column F is > 0 and the cell in column I is empty. I have put the following code in the formula bar for conditional formatting and I'm getting an error. How do I fix the problem? First I select column I, and then I select conditional formatting. Then I change "cell value is" to "formula" and enter the following in the formula box. =F1>0 and I1 = "" When I click OK, I get an error. What is the error? Place the cursor in I1 cell and pres...

charting independent XYScatter graphs
I'm trying to create a XYScatter graph of 3 independent datasets from within VB6 using OLE/Excel2000. I'm using the KB147803 article as a basis, but am stuck and hope someone can help. The example in KB147803 seems to indicate that there can only be one set of X-Values for the 3 XY Scatter Graph data sets. The X-Value series is the first row of data in the sheet, and is called out as a set of Category labels ('cwCategoryLabels=1'), and applies to all three subsequent rows of Y-Value data. In my case, I want to plot 3 independent sets of XY data, so I'd like to pr...

Help with graph / chart
I have a graph for weeks 1-52, I have split this into 4 seperate graphs each showing a quarter (13 weeks) I cant remember exactly how I created them but possibly using some sort of copy paste as each chart show weeks 1 - 13 along the bottom. This should read......... for chart 1 1-13 for chart 2 14 - 26 chart 3 27 - 40 chart 4 41 - 52 How do I change this on each chart to read the week numbers indicated.? thanks Hi, You need to define the Category labels for the chart. Chart 1 is fine as it defaults to the values 1 to 13. For the other 3 charts you will need to create...

Registry hack for keeping Outlook 2003 in same state as it was when last closed?
Is there a registry hack that will allow me to keep Outlook, and any opened email windows, in the same position and state that they were when I last closed Outlook 2003? For instance, there are a number of calendars and messages that I prefer to have open each time I restart Outlook 2003. Is there a registry setting that will allow Windows XP and Outlook 2003 to remember the state of all the opened windows? What do you mean exactly? Do you want them opened each time you open Outlook, or do you mean when you have Outlook open, you want them to open in the same position as the last t...

Copy chart with reference table
I have a pie chart neatly tied to a data table alongside. Now I want to copy both the chart and table to a different area of the sheet so I can modify the new data table and have 2 different charts. My issue is that the chart will only allow absolute references, so when I copy both the chart and table together the new chart still is tied to the old table - so I have to go and change the source data ranges one by one. Any way that I can do this easily? Copy the whole sheet. The copied chart links to the data on the copied sheet. Now cut the range that includes the copied char...

Pivot Table fields #2
Is there a way to format multiple pivot table fields at one time and have them refresh that way, rather than having to select each column and choose the format options? Thanks CLou: I think the solution for you is to open the Pivot Table Toolbar and select the Field Settings icon. This sets the format for all results for that particular field. One limitation that I haven't found a way around is getting a preferred column size to "stick" and not reset after a table refresh. Bruce >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to format multiple pivot table fields at ...

Excel 2007 dates and conditional formats
Can anyone please tell me why I can not use a conditional format (<>=) to identify if a date is greater or smaller then another. Everytime I try it, Excel does it right in the first column but misses by 2 days in all following. It also appears to have problems with the years. Example: Date of propposed compleation of a task is 10/10/07; if the date of actual completion is 10/10/07 or sooner, turn GREEN. If the date of completion is 10/11/07 or older, turn RED. Can anyone help?? Regards Mary Hi Mary, First thing to check: What does 10/11/07 mean? November 10 1907? November 10 2007? O...

Pivot Table Refresh Problems
Hi All: Hoping that someone can help. I am trying to refresh a pivot table using the following code which was inserted on the Daily Production Output Sheet(both sheets in the same workbook). I am using Excel 2003 Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate() 'If data on this worksheet changes, refresh the pivot table Sheets("Daily Production Output").PivotTables("PivotTable3").RefreshTable End Sub The Calculation has been set to Automatic. However when I try to run the above code I am getting the following error" Run Time error 1044, Application defined or Object defin...

how do i create a quiz using excel?
hey guys...i badly need to make a quiz using excel,,,i got no clue how to do it. the quiz will be a simple one, no drop downs and should display the scores after the quiz is taken.... please help! Andruu, What type of quiz are you looking to create? What format are the answers? Numbers? Text? One suggestion..... 1. Add questions *What is 2 x 2?* 2. Assign cells for the user to insert their answers. (format cells as text/numbers etc) *Cell: B2* 3. Either in hidden cells, or on a seperate sheet, put the correct answers 4. Assign a point value for each correct answer (can be different for ...

Creating a new document from a multiple paged Excel document
Can I save only one page of an existing Excel multiple page document? If so, how? Thanks to anyone that can take the time to answer/instruct. Right-click the sheet tab that you want, and hit Move or Copy. Choose "Create a copy" and then, from the dropdown, choose "new book". **** Hope it helps! **** ~Dreamboat Excel VBA Certification Coming Soon! www.VBAExpress.com/training/ ******************************** "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBBDECC6-2432-41D4-99F2-C1EF10B1EC1F@microsoft.com... > Can I save only one page of...

Can not create Matrix Item please Help RMS 2.0
RMS 2.0 Can not create Matrix Item please Help When trying to create any new items I receive error message This is the message (-2147217864) Row Cannot be located for updating. Some values may have been change since it was last read. Manger still creates standard items but still receives message with out this number in message -2147217864 ...

default mail format based on domain
Greetings - After 20_ years of Eudora and Thunderbird (in that order), I'm looking at Outlook for the first time (we're moving to an Exchange backend, so...worth a look, for obvious reasons). In Thunderbird, if I want to set a default HTML format for emails sent to a certain domain, I can specify that. For any other domain(s), plain text. Is there an easy way to do that in Outlook (I'm using 2007)? Basically, I want emails sent to my enterprise domain (i.e., my place of employment) to be in HTML or perhaps RTF, but mail sent to other domains to be plain text only. Again, I want ...

Creating a Word document from an ASP.NET application
Hello, I just want to know if there is an existing DLL or Web Compasant that can be used from an ASP.NET application (located on a IIS server without Office on it) to create a Word document based on a template (.dot) that is used only for the bookmarks properties (replaced momentarily with a personnal values). Best Regards, On Jun 21, 1:34=A0pm, "Bruno MAIGNAN" <bruno.maig...@ca-atlantica.fr> wrote: > Hello, > I just want to know if there is an existing DLL or Web Compasant that can= be > used from an ASP.NET application (located on a IIS server witho...

pivot tables #19
I want to create a pivot table where I just have to enter the data in once where it will post to a general ledger, income/expense statement, profit & loss report and individual vendor accounts. Can this be done? -- tiki Hi tikitai, Look at my Excel Database Tutorial at http://edferrero.m6.net/DataTutor1.html You should be able to work it out form there. Ed Ferrero > I want to create a pivot table where I just have to enter the data in once where it will post to a general ledger, income/expense statement, profit & loss report and individual vendor accounts. Can this be done? &...

XY Chart
I have created a short VBA macro that reads x and y data from a spreadsheet, where every row represents a new series. Besides the x and y data colums, I also have columns that specify the size of the marker, the markerstyle, and the foreground and background colors. I have adapted some of John Walkenbach's code to label each of the datapoints using .name. The x axis is basically an integer 1 to 5 and the y axis is a value like price or variable margin. There usually are multiple datapoints on any given integer on the x axis. For example, I may be plotting the price that a custom...

news option keeps disappearing from Outlook 2004
Outlook and Outlook Express on same machine. Can't make Outlook the default newsreader in Internet Options. News option keeps disappearing from Outlook and keeps reverting to Outlook Express. Solution? Assuming you mean Outlook 2003: To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, clear the "Always perform this check..." box and then click the No button. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "...

Nesting? How do I create a table to reference?
Tried to nest more than 8 componets but it did not work. Any help on creating a table to reference it would be appreciated. Never done it before. Tried the Excel help, and it was worthless. Here is my original post that explains more: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=498860 -- mcr1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mcr1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15496 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498905 ok you have a two column table.starting in the lh column you...

Creating a menu for an MFC Application
Continuing my efforts to understand how to use Visual C++ (in Visual Studio 2008) to create a Windows application, I've come as far as creating a menu. I haven't been able to find a book that covers the current version of Visual C++, so am using an older book about Version 4 for general guidance. I've created a menu. At that stage, the book says to associate the menu with a class (using the Class Wizard). The method described doesn't apply to the new version of C++. So far, I haven't been able to find how to associate a menu with a class. Can anyone provide some help...

Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template
I am using excel 2003. Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template - xlt. To create a document I just do new -> blank document. How can i fix this? thanks Tools>Options>Transition. Save Excel Files As. Change to MS Excel Workbook. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 17:54:26 -0600, "Greg" <greg@nospam.com> wrote: >I am using excel 2003. >Evey time I create a new document and save it, it defaults to template - >xlt. >To create a document I just do new -> blank document. > >How...

create automessages if user leaves the company
Hi I have the following problem. There is a user which temporary leaves the company and come back to an unspecified date. All mails which sent to this user are forwarded to an other user who take the taks in absence of him. In behalf of security the user is disabled, that means a rule or "out of office assistent" doesn't work to inform customers that this user come back on an unspecified date and the other take his tasks. Is there a possipility to configure an automatic out of office and keep the possipility to forward the mails to the other user in exchange 2k3 ? Thanks...

chart
Help... Is is possible to insert a header and/or footer into multiple charts(Excel 2000 or 2002)? I was hoping I could insert a common chart header/footer as is possible with worksheets. Any help appreciated. You could set up the headers and footers on one chart (File menu > Page Setup), then before doing anything else, select each subsequent chart in turn and press the F4 key, which repeats this action. You could also select a chart, then record a macro while setting up its headers and footers. Then edit the macro code to only do the headers and footers, and leave out all that...

Incompatible file format.
Have been using Money for years and have Money Deluxe 2007 installed on both my home (Vista) machine and my notebook (XP) machine. Problem is when I go on the road and take my Money file with me, my XP machine says that the file is incompatible and was created with a newer or updated version of Money. Both machines have the same version and are both include the latest updates. What gives? Did Microsoft create something in Vista that precludes using the Money file under any other operating system? I may have to switch to Quicken or even a Linux version if they keep this up.............

Charts #37
Hi All, Can you please advise if we can create one chart with multiple pivot table of the same data. Thanks Niranjan ...

Fixed straight line(s) on a chart
How can I draw a fixed straight line in an excel chart. A line on a level I can easily adjust changing the value in a spreadsheet cell, for example. Is it possible to fix even multiple lines (eg. as a fixed "bandwidth information" - data comparing to a bandwidth)? Thanks Lukas Hi See the following sites: http://andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DummySeries.html#AddLine -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Lukas" <lukas.bieri@gmx.net> schrieb im Newsbeit...

Update Charts X-axis
I have a program with 76 charts. They all use the same range to get their x-axis (dates). At the first of every month, I change the dates to show the upcoming month. The table shows the entire year, but we just view it one month (fiscal) at a time. The series is by rows, but could be changed to columns if necessary. I inherited this program. Currently I have to update each one of them manually (click on each and change their XValues). Is there a way I can update all of them at one time? Could vba be used to select and update each chart with me just selecting the range? I am no stranger...