How do I justify/align tick mark labels on a horizontal bar chart?

I'm doing a bar graph of survey question responses; the questions are long so
they word-wrap, but they seem to be "center" aligned so the formatting looks
bad.  Can I left or right-justify them?
0
blinko (2)

Yet another property of axis labels that Excel will not trust us with.

Some people would hide the default axis labels (double click the axis,
find the appropriate "None" on the Patterns tab) and replace them with
textboxes. Easiest way to add a textbox that's linked to a cell? Select
the chart, type an equals sign, then click on the cell. Now format and
position it.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

blinko wrote:

> I'm doing a bar graph of survey question responses; the questions are long so
> they word-wrap, but they seem to be "center" aligned so the formatting looks
> bad.  Can I left or right-justify them?

Chart Series Line Editing before building
I have a client chart that graphs data over multiple years. Each year data is in it's own worksheet and I have pre-defined these data ranges to automatically build the line graph charts as the client enters the data. These charts are then built on a seperate worksheet by month for the client. My problem. How do I change the line in the graph, both color and format, before the chart series even builds. For instance, for say January 2005, which has not had data entered yet, the default line that will build is thin and a light blue, hard to see on screen. I want a heavy, dark green, smo...

Creating One Chart from two Pivot tables combining X axis
I am trying to build a chart to show the progress of # cumulative tasks planned by date versus # executed tasks by date. Source data looks like: Task Plan Dt Exec Dt A 08/12/2004 08/09/2004 B 08/12/2004 08/17/2004 C 08/14/2004 D 08/17/2004 E 08/17/2004 I want the X axis to start with the earliest plan or exec date and end with the latest plan or exec date. The first series should show the following points of cumulative planned tasks: 08/12 - 2 08/13 - 2 08/14 - 3 08/15 - 3 08/16 - 3 08/17 - 5 The second series should plot on the same X...

Publisher 2003, inserting information into labels
I have created a label template in Publisher 2003. There are six labels per page. The only item that will change on each label will be the serial number. I have tried to use the catelog merge to get the respective serial numbers on each of the labels. Unfortunately, that has not worked. Instead of getting six different serial numbers on six different labels per page, I get one serial number on six different labels on one page. Is there a way to get different six different serial numbers on six different labels on one page? You may have to run this through twice or setup your names ...

Gannt Chart Wizard replaces Deliverable Start/finish to milestone
I am using a Master schedule as a Program roll up schedule for many projects. I am using Deliverables in the project schedules to be shown in the master program schedule. When I first enter the deliverable the tasks in the program schedule shows the length (start and finish dates). After I run the Gannt Chart Wizard on the program, the Gannt now shows just the deliverable as a milestone. I do not want these deliverables to be changed into milestone, I want the program schedule to show the duration of the deliverable. I used the Gannt Chart Wizard because I wanted to add the ...

How do i stop an email being marked as read when i click 'Print'?
Hi There, Whenever i click on an new email (not double click) and click the print icon, it prints a copy of the email but it also marks that email as read, which is what i dont want. I know about the Reading Pane options but the option there is not option for this there. Is there a way for emails not to be marked as read once you print them? Kind regards Liz No, that is not possible with the built-in printing function of Outlook. A printing add-in might show different behavior though. You might want to try their trial first. See; http://www.howto-outlook.com/tag/printi...

create bar in timeline like a Gantt
I would really appreciate your help. I have a weird one! I have built a horizontal time line at the top of an Excel sheet. VBA code collects the start and end dates of a date range. How can I build a bar on the row below the time line, like in a Gantt chart? I would also like to put a name within the bar. Collecting the start and end dates, navigating to the timeline sheet and the row below the time line is OK, but I can’t find the code for creating the bar. Knowing the start and end dates I guess I could relate them to the spreadsheet columns, but how do I connect them wi...

How can you place a Waterline level on a Chart?
I am trying to place a waterline level on a bar chart - is this possible Does this help: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Pawprint wrote: > I am trying to place a waterline level on a bar chart - is this possible ...

Arranging data to create a chart
I need help on learning how to arrange data in a spreadsheet to create a chart. Joyce - Put the X axis information (horizontal, labels or numbers) in the first column. Put a blank cell immediately above the column of data. Put the Y axis information (vertical, numbers) in one or more columns, to the right of the X data. Put labels for these columns in the cells right above the data. The data should look like this: Name1 Name2 Name3 X1 Y11 Y12 Y13 X2 Y21 Y22 Y23 X3 Y31 Y32 Y33 X4 Y41 etc, Select a single cell in this group (Excel will...

Displaying the mean in a bar chart
Hi all, I have a stacked bar chart showing test score distributions. I would like to be able to plot the mean score on the bar. A simple dot or square would do. Anyone know how to do this? thanks! nathan Couldn't you just add a formula of the MEDIAN of each group, add that series to the chart, then change the chart type of that series to a line. You can then set the line colour to none, and change the style to a diamond say. -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "nathanhutto" <nathanhutto@discussions.micro...

My Recent Documents lists several Excel Charts
Hi, I like using My Recent documents to quickly pull up Excel 2007 files that I work on. Many of my Excel files have graphs in them. When I go to My Recent Documents, there may be two or three Excel files and the other 7-8 "documents" listed are things like Pchart.xlm, Vchart.xlm and scatter.xlm. How do I exclude these files from appearing in My Recent Documents. I basically just want Excel, Access and Word documents to appear. Thanks, Chuck Chuck W <ChuckW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > I like using My Recent documents to quickly pull...

Disappearing scales on bar charts with multiple series
I am trying to create a bar chart with multiple series in Excel 2003. I have x and y data, but the x-axis has to be the same for all series or it takes the x-values of the last series created. My problem is not the scale. It is getting two series to appear independent of each other. Using bar charts forces a comparison of the two series, but I simply need to plot data for each series. Should I be using a different chart type? If so, what is it? -- Thanks, Patrick Hi, If you have true x and y data maybe you should be plotting an x and y chart. You can format the series so only mar...

Grayed out Close button on Title bar
Help, The Close button is unavailable. Is there a fix for this problem or do I need to uninstall and then reinstall. Repairing Excel did not fix this problem. TIA, Elena Do you use Groupwise? "Elena" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13fe01c48c38$31b26a90$a601280a@phx.gbl... : Help, : The Close button is unavailable. Is there a fix for this : problem or do I need to uninstall and then reinstall. : Repairing Excel did not fix this problem. : : TIA, : Elena just to add to lady layla's response: xl: close button is dimmed after groupwise ...

Quotation mark key produces << instead of " in Word doc from PC
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am updating a document that was created in Word on a PC several years ago. When I viewed it all the ' had become =. I found out in the forum how to fix that. But more important, I do not seem to be able to type a quotation mark. When I hit Shift &quot;, I get a symbol that looks like a doubled >. The symbol doesn't even exist on my keyboard. I suspect that I can go to Insert, Symbols, and get the proper &quot;, but this is a syllabus for a class that I teach year after year, updating t...

Creating a Gantt chart using Excel (Video)
Hi, Find out how to create a Gantt chart using Excel in this video tutorial: http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/creating-a-gantt-chart-using-excel.html Duncan ...

Sharing chart on two pages
Hello, I have a worksheet where I put some datas and then under this datas is a chart. Place taken by this data isn't static - once there is more datas and the other time there is more datas. I have problem with this chart, because sometimes chart is shared between two pages on printing. Is there a possibility to use something like property "keep together" in crystal reports where object is printed whole on one page (if there is no enough place it's started pritnting on next page)? Maybe somebody knows how to do it in macro if there is no appropriote property -- Bes...

Missing lines in chart w/x-axis with months 1-24...
First post from a "casual" Excel user (more familiar with SigmaPlot)... Client wants a line chart with x-axis linear (baeline to 36 months) but there are only data for 2 baseline conditions and certain months: on-drug off-drug M3 M6 M12 M24 M36 The Y axis (# of pellets) is nothing special. I entered blank rows, corresponding to the missing months, into the datasheet, like so: on-drug off-drug M3 M6 M12 (etc.) This "method" plots the data points okay, but there are 2 problems: (a) there are no lines connecting them, and (b) the x-axis labels are lousy I work...

How do I link data to a chart from multiple worksheets?
I've created a graph that I want to show data from multiple sheets in the workbook. How do I do that? There are limits to how you can combine data from different sheets. This article describes them. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7DF7D186-9426-4B54-A322-FE485FD20529@microsoft.com... > I've created a graph that I want to...

Can I make a chart that is vertical instead of horizontal?
I have created a chart that is too wide for one page. I would like to rotate the entire chart. Is this possible? How would I do it? If it is not possible, are there any other suggestions? Hi, You can not simply rotate the chart. Possible options are; - Copy as picture and rotate the picture - print the page in landscape - use alternative chart type depending on the chart type you maybe able to rotate the chart by using an alternative chart style, like Columns > Bars. Which chart type is it? Cheers Andy Karvis wrote: > I have created a chart that is too wide for one page. I w...

2 Axis Pivot Chart
Is it possible to create a 2 axis (a combination of line & bar) chart from a pivot table? Sure is, did you try? Right click a series that you want on the secondary axis, choose Format Series, and on the Axis tab (Excel 2003 and earlier) or the Series Options tab (2007) select the Secondary Axis option. To change the chart type, right click on the series, choose (Change) Chart Type, and select the type you want. Of course, the pivot chart is likely to lose this formatting when it is refreshed, Which even Microsoft admits is a problem. They suggest recording a macro next time you f...

Custom Buttons in CRM Menu Bar of Outlook
Hello I added custom buttons in the CRM Menu Bar. For example a opportunity button to switch to the opportunity view. The buttons only functions if in the Outlook folder list (at the left) the CRM Folder Structure is selected. Does anybody has a suggestion? Thank you in advance. Kind regards. Thomas Arnold ...

how to display current time in status bar?
hi all, how to display current time in the status bar. thanks&regards james Hello james, > how to display current time in the status bar. > You can use SetIndicators to create panes on status bar. You can display any text in it. These are updated with ON_UPDATE_COMMAND_UI mechanism by default. So if your app is idle and you want to update the time, you will need to have a timer. As usual, check out codeguru and codeproject for sample code. I am certain you will find something there. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com ...

How do I chart the same data cell on a range of worksheets?
I have the same row of cells on numerous worksheets that I want to chart or consolidate onto another worksheet ? Keith - You need to create a consolidated data range: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Keith wrote: > I have the same row of cells on numerous worksheets that I want to chart or > consolidate onto another worksheet ? ...

Windows Title Bar Color Not being Used
How can I get a form's title bar, in Access 2007, to be the same color as Windows Vista's title bar color. Access' main window is ok. The 'Use Windows-themed controls on forms' is checked, but I guess that's not it. Any help will be appreciated, James ...

Line charts | Join points despite gap in data
Hi, Is there a way to join two points on a line chart/scatter graph despite a gap in the data? I have several samples that were each tested at different time points and I would like to join the data from each time point together despite the existence of 'empty' time points. Thanks in advance, Paul Two ways: a) replace the gaps by =NA() which displays as #N/A; the chart engine ignores these OR b) click chart to activate; use Tools | Options and open chart tab; specify how to "Plot Empty Cells" - you need interpolate best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/blie...

Automatically updating ranges in charts
Hello, Can someone help me with this. I have a set of charts based on a table of data, say, A1-D300. Periodically, I add data to the bottom of the range. For example, the new range is A1-D310. I want update the ranges in the charts so, right now, I either have to click on each data seris and change D300 to D310 for end of the range or click on data range and change the end of the range for each series that way. Is there a way to get excel to graph to the end of the range automatically? Maybe there's a function that can go in to the range instead of "D300" or "...