how can I connect data in cell C to data in cell D?

I have allot of data, for example cell A is gender, cell B is year of birth
and cell C is respondentnumber, cell D is also respondent number and cell E
is kids yes/no. Cell C and D are both respondentnumbers, but they are both
from different datasources, I need to connect the right data from both
sources to eachother. In the end I have to know for each respondent what its
corresponding gender, year of birth and if they have kids.

0
Angel82 (1)

I think we need to be told more about C and D data
      A B C D E
      Male 1983 3333 4444 Yes
      Female 1985 7777 8888 No

So what do you want to do?
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Angel82" <Angel82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have allot of data, for example cell A is gender, cell B is year of birth
> and cell C is respondentnumber, cell D is also respondent number and cell
> is kids yes/no. Cell C and D are both respondentnumbers, but they are both
> from different datasources, I need to connect the right data from both
> sources to eachother. In the end I have to know for each respondent what
> its
> corresponding gender, year of birth and if they have kids.

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
3/8/2006 3:27:20 PM
If all of the numbers in C are also found in D, and D has no duplicates, you
could use some lookups.

Move D and E to F and G. Sort the columns F and G in ascending order by
column F. I assume that the lookup data are now in F2:G101 (assuming row 1
contains labels). Enter this formula in cell D2:

  =VLOOKUP(C2,$F$2:$G$101,2,FALSE)

What this does is looks for the number in C2 in the first column of
$F$2:$G$101, and returns the value in column 2 of $F$2:$G$101. FALSE means
return exact matches, and if an exact match isn't found, return #N/A. If you
had used TRUE, you would get a close match: say you were looking up 5 from
C2, and column F contained 2,3,4, no 5, and other higher numbers. The
formula would return the value next to the cell containing 4, the closest
number to 5 that didn't exceed 5.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

"Angel82" <Angel82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have allot of data, for example cell A is gender, cell B is year of birth
> and cell C is respondentnumber, cell D is also respondent number and cell
> is kids yes/no. Cell C and D are both respondentnumbers, but they are both
> from different datasources, I need to connect the right data from both
> sources to eachother. In the end I have to know for each respondent what
> its
> corresponding gender, year of birth and if they have kids.

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Highlighting cells #2
Excel 2007 sp1 with vista 32 business sp1 Background: When you highlight multiple non-contigious cells (i.e. hold the control key down and select several cells that are not connected) Excel highlights the selected cells in light blue. Problem: This light blue does not show at all on many projectors. In some case you can adjust the color temp and this helps. We do hundreds of presentation in North America each year and can not control what projection equipment we will be using. Requested solution: I would change the light blue background that is applied to selected cells to some other colo...

if cell starts with characters formula
Hi I need to count cells in a column starting with certain characters. each cell's data varies in length. I have tried with @countif( but does not work if the cell contains other characters after the "prefix". eg. row 20 cell 5 apples row 21 cell 5 apples red row 22 cell 5 apples green row 23 cell 5 plums green row 23 cell 5 plums purple totals required for apples = 3 (regardless of colour) total required for plums = 2 (regardless of colour) @countif(C20:c30,"plums") gives answer of 1 require answer of 2 @countif(C20:c30,&quo...

move cell contents

MS Money 95 data files

data input in text box

Using part of a cell in a chart title

visible cell only

Sorting Data #5

can't customize toolbar

Can anyone help ?

HELP! remote data not accessible msg

can't add groups to public folders
I'm having a problem with my public folders - I can't add groups to them. I used to be able to, and now the members in a given group are unable to access that particular public folder. I can add individual users fine, but not groups. Anyone know how to fix this? Do you have sufficient rights in AD? What I am getting at, is that you need rights to change a group type to security. -- regards, Michael Abbaticchio MVP for Exchange Server http://exchange.mvps.org "Glenn" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23N3yrgRoEHA.3324@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I&...