how can i color points in a plot with a third data series?

i have 3 columns of data, i would like one as x, one as y, and one as the
color of the points.  is this possible?
0
Aaron1 (65)

You may wish to visit Jon's site
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html
to get more familiar with Excel cahrting.
Then come back and get any extra help needed
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"aaron" <aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i have 3 columns of data, i would like one as x, one as y, and one as the
> color of the points.  is this possible?

0
bliengme (657)
8/5/2009 8:29:57 PM
do you know the answer to my question?  can i use a third data series to
scale the color of points on a scatter plot?

thanks for your time.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> You may wish to visit Jon's site
> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html
> to get more familiar with Excel cahrting.
> Then come back and get any extra help needed
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>

> "aaron" <aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > i have 3 columns of data, i would like one as x, one as y, and one as the
> > color of the points.  is this possible?

0
Aaron1 (65)
8/5/2009 9:30:01 PM
Sorry, I thought you needed an intro to charting.
You want to use column 3's data to change the colour of points plotted from
column 2?
That would take some fancy VBA ; may I suggest you post the question in the
Excel.Programming newsgroup?

It would help if you included some sample data (especially the values in the
third column)
But on Jon's site you will find how to make conditional charts  - different
coloured point for different value ranges

best wishes
--

> do you know the answer to my question?  can i use a third data series to
> scale the color of points on a scatter plot?
>
> thanks for your time.
>
> "Bernard Liengme" wrote:
>
>> You may wish to visit Jon's site
>> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html
>> to get more familiar with Excel cahrting.
>> Then come back and get any extra help needed
>> best wishes
>> --
>> Bernard V Liengme
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
>> remove caps from email
>>

>> "aaron" <aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > i have 3 columns of data, i would like one as x, one as y, and one as
>> > the
>> > color of the points.  is this possible?

0
bliengme (657)
8/6/2009 1:22:03 PM
thanks for your time.  i could not see any mention of it in the online help
pages, but wanted to be sure.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> Sorry, I thought you needed an intro to charting.
> You want to use column 3's data to change the colour of points plotted from
> column 2?
> That would take some fancy VBA ; may I suggest you post the question in the
> Excel.Programming newsgroup?
>
> It would help if you included some sample data (especially the values in the
> third column)
> But on Jon's site you will find how to make conditional charts  - different
> coloured point for different value ranges
>
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>

> "aaron" <aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > do you know the answer to my question?  can i use a third data series to
> > scale the color of points on a scatter plot?
> >
> > thanks for your time.
> >
> > "Bernard Liengme" wrote:
> >
> >> You may wish to visit Jon's site
> >> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html
> >> to get more familiar with Excel cahrting.
> >> Then come back and get any extra help needed
> >> best wishes
> >> --
> >> Bernard V Liengme
> >> Microsoft Excel MVP
> >> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> >> remove caps from email
> >>

> >> "aaron" <aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Aaron1 (65)
8/6/2009 2:27:01 PM
Hi,

You just need additional series and formula to control the values for
those series based on original data and conditional test.

See Jon's examples
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html

Cheers
Andy

aaron wrote:
> do you know the answer to my question?  can i use a third data series to
> scale the color of points on a scatter plot?
>
> thanks for your time.
>
> "Bernard Liengme" wrote:
>

>>You may wish to visit Jon's site
>>http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html
>>to get more familiar with Excel cahrting.
>>Then come back and get any extra help needed
>>best wishes
>>--
>>Bernard V Liengme
>>Microsoft Excel MVP
>>http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
>>remove caps from email
>>

>>"aaron" <aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>i have 3 columns of data, i would like one as x, one as y, and one as the
>>>color of the points.  is this possible?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Comparing 2 series of data
Hello, I have a question regarding scatter (XY) charts on Excel 2000. I have 2 series of data that I want to compare with one another. I have plotted both series of data on a scatter (XY) chart in order to compare the 2 series in terms of the relationship between variables, X and Y. In addition, I have included a 2nd order polynomial trendline for each series so that the graph contains 2 trendlines (one for each data series). I want to know if there's a way for me to compare these 2 series of data (possibly using slopes of the trendlines) and obtain p values and confidence in...

Rearranging cronological data.
I have a set of 25,000 row wind data that I just want to flip so the last entry is first and the first is last. I have some crazy dates that don't match up in the data so I would like to be able to keep the order of everything now without sorting it by date. Im using 07. I'd insert a column and and put in a list from 1 to 25,000 and sort on that. In older versions of xl it was Edit, fill, series, Step Value 1, Stop Value 25000 and click OK if it does not work enter the first number yourself. Peter "Gatorman" wrote: > I have a set of 25,000 row wind data that I ...

How can I enarge the font size in a drop-down list?
1. How can I enarge the font size in a drop-down list? 2. How can I prevent someone from changing or deleting the formula in a cell? When I try to protect the cell it prevents the formula from being executed. Formulas still work when protected. If you are using data>validation you cannot change the font, you can use a macro that zooms http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Font -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "BobH" <BobH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A63E65DE-CFB3-40FA-B1D8-0E576A436885@microsoft.com... > 1. How can I enarge the font size i...

Add Calculated Series in SSRS not there
Desperately need help with something very simple! I'm working with SSRS 2008 in my Visual Studio 2008. I would really like to use the functionality "Add Calculated Series" when I right-click eg. Sum(Value) in my chart. Problem is, there is none?! Anybody encountered the same issue? Thanks! ...

Exporting CRM data to Power Point.
I have a situation where i need to CRM 3.0 data to Power Point. I know CRM provides functionality to export to excel sheet. But one of my client want the data to be exported to Power Point. Any body has done any work related to this? Does CRM 3.0 provides this functionality? Any suggestions or advise is very much appreciated. Thanks, CRM does not do this for you. There just isn't any "standard" way to display data in PowerPoint and typically there will be too much to be useful on a slide. I would look to linking powerpoint to a spreadsheet as a data source for a graph or c...

Change the default color Excel 2007 uses to highlight selected cel
I'm using Excel 2007 and I'd like to change the default color Excel 2007 uses to highlight the selected cells in a worksheet. When selecting a range (ex. A1:D10). The selected range takes on a light transparent blue. Very hard to see when working in selected range. I've tried changing Office>Excel Options>Popular>Color Scheme - 3 colors to choose from (Blue, Silver, Black). This doesn't make a difference with the selection color at all. Also tried to change the Personalization>Appearance>Different Color Schemes with the Advanced option>Item areas, thi...

Sector Men's 330 Series watch #2653973035
Sector Men's 330 Series watch #2653973035 - Cheapest Watch Sector Men's 330 Series watch #2653973035 Link : http://www.watchesprice.net/Sector-Mens-330-Series-watch-2653973035-12480.html Cheap Watches Home : http://www.watchesprice.net/ Lower Price Sector Brands : http://www.watchesprice.net/Sector-Watches.html Sector Men's 330 Series watch #2653973035 --- one of best selling watches, it is crafted in high quality Watches. Sector Men's 330 Series watch 2653973035 Description: Swiss quartz movement, Dress watch, Chronograph, Silver-tone luminous hands and markers, Silver-to...

GPlains: Trl Blnc Rprt to capture more than the curent years data
GPlains: Trl Blnc Rprt to capture more than the curent years data ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=54e681b2-2fea-49fa-81a0-477bef09fa6f&dg=microsoft.publi...

Can columns be protecteded by an assigned user?
In an attempt to streamline 4 separate worksheets into one, is it possible to setup 4 columns in one Excel worksheet, then protect each column to allow one user to edit their assigned column by unlocking and relocking it? Or is there a better alternative, i.e., linking a main worksheet to each of the four that will show the edits automatically in my main worksheet? You can use the Allow Users to edit Range feature to set up a worksheet so that specific areas can be edited by specifc users. You protect the entire sheet and allow a user to edit a specific range without a pass...

how do i merge 2 rows of data into one
I am trying to combine data from 2 rows so that i can use the data as one row which will enable me to sort the data accordingly. Hi you may provide some more details how your data is structured and how you want to combine it -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "willid" <willid@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:14D9237F-69DA-4696-AC15-38585C65B28E@microsoft.com... > I am trying to combine data from 2 rows so that i can use the data as one row > which will enable me to sort the data accordingly. You can't merge data without losing parts ...

OWA, can i put username without domain?
Hi all, I have 2 questions as follow: I just setup an exchange2003 as test. In owa, Do i have to put in my whole email address as the username or there is a way to shorten it to username only for login? I have this c1030af3 error when i try to get into public folders in ex. manager. But the problem solved by disable auto-protect in norton anti-virus. Is Norton conflict with exchange 2003? is there a fix for that? Thanks a lot all. Hi Derrick, Take a look at this KB Article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820378 It will explain how to edit the OWA Login.asp page to automatically i...

Can't View Downloaded Items to Review
In my transaction view, after connecting to my Bank, I usually have items that show up in my transactions list based on how many items were downloaded. I have 8 Items for Review, but they do not show up in the transaction list?!?!?! Try the following article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316900&Product=mny "Dalton" <geoff@2bones.com> wrote in message news:e6EFv8vgDHA.520@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > In my transaction view, after connecting to my Bank, I usually have items > that show up in my transactions list based on how many items were...

How often do you download financial data?
I tend to download/update my bankstatements in Money once a day. Wondering if others do this or if its a weekly thing for them? I have mine setup for every 3 hours -- but this is only so I can be reasonably sure that all statements will have downloaded when I look at the file first thing in the morning. -- "BoDEAN" <jbo@aol.com> wrote in message news:lcgkjv8htndmkh0kf3j6hedjej17omq2m0@4ax.com... > I tend to download/update my bankstatements in Money once a day. > Wondering if others do this or if its a weekly thing for them? > > ...

Removing data from a series
Hello everyone, Thanks for the help on my last question, it got the job done! I now need to remove data from a series. I have created a series o numbers in a column based on messages in another column, heres a example: C1 C2 C3 1- LOAlarm 1-LOAlarm 2- LOLOAlarm 2-LOLOAlarm 3- LOLOLOAlarm 3-LOLOLOAlarm This goes on for about 2000 messages and was created by the equation C = C1&" " &C2 and now I have to reverse the operation to display onl LOAlarm and su...

Quering and entering data through a form
Hello, I have 3 tables: PatientDetails, ReferralDetails and EnvelopeDetails PatientDetails and ReferralDetails are linked by ReferralCode. ReferralsDetails and EnvelopeDetails are linked by SentEnvelope field. I need a form that only shows those patients who do not have SentEnvelope against their ReferralCode (and hence PatientID). This I have managed to do by using a query and then the form wizard. However, what I need to do now is to be able to update everyones SentEnvelope field with relevant envelope id. Every patient that is referred will have a referral details in the ReferralDe...

Can't create file: FAX.TIF
I keep getting this error message when I try to open faxes that come down over our server. Here is the entire message. Can't create file: FAX.TIF. Right click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder. I have checked the properties for the Inbox and for the Office Document Imaging and all of that is fine. We were able to open faxes fine, then one day a Smiley bar appeared in Outlook and then we were not able to open the faxes anymore. Also, I have removed Outlook and reinstalled. I hav...

3D Surface from data from 3 columns
introduction: I need 3D surface chart made in Excel. I have data written in 3 columns lets say A,B,C I think that I need to convert them to table to make the chart (A would be horizontal axis, B- vertical and C- values)- but I do not know how to do it :-( Could you please help me? :-) Jack Hi Jack have a look at http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/3d_surface/index.html Frank jack wrote: > introduction: > I need 3D surface chart made in Excel. > > I have data written in 3 columns lets say A,B,C > I think that I need to convert them to table to make the chart (A >...

How can I update endnote cross-references in Word 2007 ?
I created a long document with many endnotes and some cross-references to these endnotes. When I insert a new endnote somewhere in the document, the following endnote numbers change but not the cross-reference numbers. This seems to be a bug in Word 2007 as it worked perfectly in my previous Word version. How can I update endnote cross-references in Word 2007 ? Ctrl+A, F9 should work in all versions of Word. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Joe56" <Joe56@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Formula to always point to C drive (peer to peer network)
I have a file in which the cells reference the C drive. If I open that file on another computer it then changes to be the drive for the computer I last edited it on, or the network file letter (if that is the correct way to put it). Is there a way to always keep it referencing the "C" drive no matter which computer opens it or edits it? -- David P. -- David P. ...

Look Up and Display set data
I have an annual leave Tracker / Sickness / Training spreadsheet. On each day if a member of staff is Sick S is entered if on annual leave (holiday) H is entered and T for training. What I would like to do is add a function to display set data. For Example in Column A I have the names of all staff. Column B their managers name then in the other columns C, D, E etc I have dates of the year. Is there a way I can display for example / create a page where I can ask Excel to display say for example activity for a member of staff in S (Sickness) state, or all details. Or for example can I run ...

Multiple colors in one stacked bar
I have to create the stacked bar chart based on following data : Bar# Width Kind 1 50 1 80 2 110 4 150 2 199 1 2 70 4 90 1 150 2 223 3 450 4 3 30 1 50 3 67 4 90 1 110 2 150 3 190 2 250 1 I need three bars, the "kind" column determine the colour of one section in current bar and the width determine width of this section. How to do it ? Maybe I have to reformat data ? -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Radoslaw Krzyzan , pl.communicat...

Help! Can't Import Quicken 2001 Deluxe Data into MS Money 2004 Standard
Hello, I have a relatively new Compaq Desktop (2.5 GHz Celeron with 512 MB RAM). I have a Viewsonic Pocket PC and I wanted to use it to track my financial data so I purchased Money 2004 Standard. I tried several times to convert my Qucken Data (it's a big file--I've been using Quicken since 1995). My Quicken program is Quicken 2001 Deluxe. Anyway, the MS Money program started to convert and after a few minutes said: "Your Quicken file could not be converted. Money could not convert your Quicken file. You might have run out of disk space or system memory. Try closing othe...

can I use vlookup on an object (pictueres?)
I have a spec book in excel that has about 100 items. Each spec has detail data in a table that I use vlookup to get and fill in a form for the user print out. I need a way to insert a picture of the item based on a code the user inputs in a cell. really just like vlookup for pictures. A Vlookup formula can't return a picture, because pictures float over the worksheet, instead of residing in a cell. J.E. McGimpsey has some code for displaying a picture based on the contents of a cell: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html DB wrote: > I have a spec book in excel t...

Can't Reply messages................HELP
I cant seem to reply messages both in outlook 2003 and outlook 2007. every time i reply to a sender not in my address book the senders name appears on the "to" field but not the addresses. How do i fix this..... Help What happens when you send? The address is not shown if it is not part of the display name. When you right click the address and choose Outlook Properties, do you see their address then? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://w...

how do I create a macro to select all colored cells in a worksheet
Need help writing the code for an Excel Macro that would find all cells that have any interior color so that an outer border can be added around all colored cells. Hi, Try this. I've included the code to add the borders but you can delete this if you want to do it manually. Not this will not work for conditionally formatted coloured cells Sub sonic() Dim CopyRange As Range For Each c In ActiveSheet.UsedRange If c.Interior.ColorIndex <> xlNone Then If CopyRange Is Nothing Then Set CopyRange = c Else Set CopyRange = Union(C...