How can I change typesetting (spacing, etc.) of bar chart axis lab

I'm using Excel 2000 (though I have access to other versions), and I'm trying
to create a series of stacked-bar charts which have a uniform plot area and
which list 5-6 word X-axis labels right-justified in 9-point bold Arial on a
single line.  Unfortunately, adjusting the plot area produces random results
with the x-axis labels, which typically seem to want to be centered and
written across two lines, rather than one.  What's especially odd is that the
chart area is very large, but the labels adjust themselves in such a way that
there's a massive amount of empty space on the left-hand side of the chart
area.  I'm trying to conform to the standards for charts set by the APA Style
Manual for doctoral theses.

Any ideas?

Slobbymonster,

One idea about side-stepping this behavior is to place your X-Axis labels in
worksheet cells instead of in the chart itself.  You can adjust your plot
area to take up the entire area of the chart.  Then format the backgound of
the worksheet cells to match the chart formatting.  The general idea is to
blend the colors, borders, text, etc. contained in the the worksheet cells
around the chart into the chart itself.  You can then copy the entire area as
a picture and it will resemble a normal chart.  This technique, if you can
get your formats right, could help you get around some of the weird text -
plot area bahaviors.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"slobbymonster" wrote:

> I'm using Excel 2000 (though I have access to other versions), and I'm trying
> to create a series of stacked-bar charts which have a uniform plot area and
> which list 5-6 word X-axis labels right-justified in 9-point bold Arial on a
> single line.  Unfortunately, adjusting the plot area produces random results
> with the x-axis labels, which typically seem to want to be centered and
> written across two lines, rather than one.  What's especially odd is that the
> chart area is very large, but the labels adjust themselves in such a way that
> there's a massive amount of empty space on the left-hand side of the chart
> area.  I'm trying to conform to the standards for charts set by the APA Style
> Manual for doctoral theses.
>
> Any ideas?
The only way you can control the axis labels is by juggling the chart area width and
plot area size within the chart area. You cannot resize the labels, even though they
masquerade as resizable textboxes. It is frustrating, and you will probably not get
what you want.

The approach I've used is to hide the regular axis labels, and use textboxes instead.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

slobbymonster wrote:

> I'm using Excel 2000 (though I have access to other versions), and I'm trying
> to create a series of stacked-bar charts which have a uniform plot area and
> which list 5-6 word X-axis labels right-justified in 9-point bold Arial on a
> single line.  Unfortunately, adjusting the plot area produces random results
> with the x-axis labels, which typically seem to want to be centered and
> written across two lines, rather than one.  What's especially odd is that the
> chart area is very large, but the labels adjust themselves in such a way that
> there's a massive amount of empty space on the left-hand side of the chart
> area.  I'm trying to conform to the standards for charts set by the APA Style
> Manual for doctoral theses.
>
> Any ideas?

Alphabetizing the navigation bar
Has anyone had any luck with sorting the left navbar? We have about 40 accounts in there, and I really just want to alphabetize them. I can't seem to figure out any rhyme or reason to how they are displaying...it's not alphabetical, by create date, etc. Any help out there? I should mention that I mean the navbar on the contact entity form. We were able to sort the main navbar by using sitemap, but can't seem to figure out how to sort them on the contact entity forms (among others, such as invoices). "Mark" wrote: > Has anyone had any luck with sorting the l...

Clients can open each other's mailboxs
I have exchange 2003. All my clients can access each others mailboxes. When I look at the mailbox right I see the everyone group with full access. I am unable to remove it because it is inheriting permissions. Where can I change this? What is weird is that my administrator account use to be able to open everyone's mailbox and now it can not. have you looked at permissions at the top level of the Exchange Organization? Looks like maybe they've been set there...also check the "security" tab for "send as" right... "Paul" <pkernicky@swca.net> wr...

Territory Change

Multiple stacked bar charts

chart MAcro to change on activecell

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

Changing font in Money 2004 register?

can i download lxce serv.exe

3d Charting
Hello i have about one million points stored (x in column one y in column 2 and z in column 3) and i would like to generate a 3d Graph with x,y,z axis is this possible to do quickly. Background Modelling 3d vrml files using a self designed programme which extrapolates the x,y,z and normals. Need to use these points to generate a graph. Hi have a look at http://andypope.info/charts/3drotate.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "FIDO Mcalister" <FIDO Mcalister@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:B9631CA4-1742-495C-B059-6C54B57F6207@microsoft.c...

transparent areas in charts?

how many receivers i can add

How to select series in chart?

Linking a Chart with graphics to ppt

printing 2 charts on single page

Chart Legend Color Index Assignment
Looking for VBA code to run on Workbook_Open to ensure a Legend having up to 10 different variables does NOT "automatically" assign to same color to 2 different variables. TIA - Bob Check out the color palette (Tools menu > Options > Color tab). The chart uses the bottom two rows of colors for its data, then when it runs out it cycles through the rest of the palette. If the palette has been customized by someone unfamiliar with this behavior, you may get duplication of colors. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTe...

Leading and trailing spaces trimmed with SQL XML
Hi, I am inserting data into a table using xml bulk insert. One of the field is of string type and contains data with leading and trailing spaces. But on insert the spaces automatically trimmed off. Can you please tell me how to avoid this trimming of spaces, as i have to insert data using xml. EXEC sp_xml_preparedocument @hDoc OUTPUT, @InsertLines INSERT INTO tblLine WITH (TABLOCKX) ([Text]) SELECT [Text] FROM OPENXML (@hDoc, '/Lines/Line', 1) WITH ([Text] nvarchar(max)) EXEC sp_xml_removedocument @hDoc Thank you Frank bad_clone (bad_clone@hotmail.com) writes: ...