horrifyingly difficult excel chart / gantt question...

Hi,

Sounds complicated, but will save a heap of time for me...

I've got some data (actually exported from MS Project) in the following
format:

task name    |    duration     |    start date     |     finish date |
  level
task 1          |  x                 |    1/1/6            |
30/1/6    |     1
task 2          |  y                 |     5/1/6           |
20/1/6    |     2
milestone 1  | z                  |    25/1/6          |        15/1/6
  |     3

and I want to roll these up into a gantt style chart (for one reason or
another, this has to be done in excel rather than project...)... I
would like the chart to look something like this:

|#####################                = task 1
|     #######()######                       = task 2 with it's embedded
milestone

ie, task one (at level one) has a number of lower level tasks (at level
2) beneath it... each of these have one or more milestones (at level
three) in them...

I'm nowhere near expert at excel charting and this is proving to be a
real challenge - I've got over 200 level one tasks so *really* don't
want to have to do it all by hand!

Many thanks,

Chris

Here is an article showing rudimentary Gantt charting in Excel:

  http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=343

and this adds a few advanced features:

  http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttChart.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

<chris_culley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Sounds complicated, but will save a heap of time for me...
>
> I've got some data (actually exported from MS Project) in the following
> format:
>
> task name    |    duration     |    start date     |     finish date |
>  level
> task 1          |  x                 |    1/1/6            |
> 30/1/6    |     1
> task 2          |  y                 |     5/1/6           |
> 20/1/6    |     2
> milestone 1  | z                  |    25/1/6          |        15/1/6
>  |     3
>

> and I want to roll these up into a gantt style chart (for one reason or
> another, this has to be done in excel rather than project...)... I
> would like the chart to look something like this:
>

> |#####################                = task 1
> |     #######()######                       = task 2 with it's embedded
> milestone

> ie, task one (at level one) has a number of lower level tasks (at level
> 2) beneath it... each of these have one or more milestones (at level
> three) in them...
>
> I'm nowhere near expert at excel charting and this is proving to be a
> real challenge - I've got over 200 level one tasks so *really* don't
> want to have to do it all by hand!
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Chris

PDF Table to Excel Spreadsheet
This has been asked in numerous places all over the web but I have not found a workable solution. We have a mainframe system that generates PDF reports for billing. However, few people in our organization these days speak mainframe. We need Excel to do calculations on the data. I began working on a method for converting using UEdit Macros and an Excel macro because the fields are fixed-width. My attempts have been unsuccessful. Here is what I want to accomplish: -Copy a region of text from a PDF -Paste into Excel -Break the values out into the appropriate cells. http://www.google.com/sea...

Excel Drop Down Boxes #2
Question; does anybody know how to add additional data to a previous drop down box? I have created a form that has several drop down boxes a while ago, and due to some information that has been change I need to input more info in the drop down boxes but for some odd reason I cant remember how I executed these actions!! If it helps I am using Excel 2000. -- CRS ------------------------------------------------------------------------ CRS's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27444 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46...

HELP! Need to save in Excel 2.1 format
Hi I have excel 2007, and the datasystem here only accepts excel 2.1 format files. How can i convert or save in excel 2.1 format? I'd really appreciate any input, even link to some external convert program. Thanks Hi, Why you don't try to save it as excel 5.0 It should work when saving as scroll almost to the bottom there you will find excel 5.0 "Poppe" wrote: > Hi > > I have excel 2007, and the datasystem here only accepts excel 2.1 format > files. > > How can i convert or save in excel 2.1 format? > > I'd really appreciate any input,...

Relay question #2
Hello, I will appreciate your help in the next problem: Exchange server 2003. The domain name is abc.com and i created another domain for some user accounts: xyz.com with the recipient policies. All ok. I have users that belongs to both companys and they needs to send mails from both domains. For one user I configured account abc.com as exchange account and then the xyz.com as pop account. I used outlook 2003. I allowed the rely permission for this user and his pc. The problem start when i send mail from the xyz.com account to an external account. At destination, the mail arrives as if it...

Forwarding email question
We have started a new grant here at work. The grant stipulates that all main contacts across our region have email addresses. Currently, our domain is : center.university.edu. With this new grant, I need to create a bunch of email aliases that FORWARD email to the primary emails. For example: joe@center.university.edu is the main email. I want to know how I can set up a new forwarding email that is joe@grant.center.university.edu. All I want is for all email sent to the latter email address to be forwarded to the former. Furthermore, I need the latter email to show up in a reply. So, if Jane ...

Excel should provide an easy way to switch a column into a row, n.
A very useful feature for Excel would be the ability to easily switch a column of data into a row. This would allow a column of entries to be used as a row of headers, for example. Excel already allows switching a column into a row in the charting area, but not in the spreadsheet. One can work around this by exporting the column into Word, changing the delimiter between fields from a paragraph mark (normally hidden) to a comma, then re-importing the data into Excel - which will then be as a row. This would also allow Access to import the former column into a row, which could then be...

How do I use excel names with INDIRECT with charts
Hello, I want to create a Chart that does not directly reference cell-ranges (i.e. A1:A6), but excel-names that make the reference sheet-independent. My aim is to be able to copy one chart to other worksheets, which have their dataareas at the same places like the source-sheet. Problem: This works fine in cells but not in charts Excel name definition: =INDIRECT("R3C2";0):INDIRECT("R3C5";0) Any idea about this? Thanks in advance, Holger. You have to include the sheet name in the final formula that you want XL to use. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.co...

Formula Question (MPS)
i have a formula i use in a spreadsheet... = IF(YEAR(O$1)-YEAR(E3)=105,,YEAR(O$1)-YEAR(E3)) I use it to caculate ages where the current date is in cell O1 and the Person's birthday is shown in cell E3. It doesn't add up right because if the birthday is later in the year than the current day (shown in cell O1. ) It works fine if the birthday is. If the birthday has already happened this year, then the formula works fine. How shoud i adjust it? thanks. Mike instead of adjusting, how about using =DATEDIF(E3,O1,"y") or =DATEDIF(E3,TODAY(),"y") ?? ...

Outlook Recovery Services Question/Offer
Hi all, it's me again with a question for all you Outlook 2003 users out there interested in having your PST files cracked. Word has it that the structure of Outlook 2003 PSTs have changed BUT I can't seem to get a hold of one to work on and want to do so. So, for the next month (until 11/30/03) I'm offering a special deal to Outlook 2003 users who need emails recovered from their PSTs. Contact me for more details and we'll take it from there. Of course, the usual caveats apply: 1) We cannot recover items from corrupted PST files. We can only work with intact, otherwise ...

TECHNICAL QUESTION: Deploying Money using a GPO
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone has tried distributing MS Money 2004/ 2005 to users on a network using a GPO & AD. I tried distributing the MSI file included with Money, but that didn't work; then I tried making an MSI file with wininstall LE 2003 - and that seems to work - just that every time a user opens Money it gives an error that the application should be installed using the .exe file and then it runs anyway. I wonder - does MS Money require special permissions on given folders? Has someone found any documentation around that? Thanks - Mike Hello Mike: You wrot...

Question about Exch2k3 SP2 75gb data store limits
I am about to roll out Exchange 2003 SP2 in a fresh environment, and was curious about what the 75GB limits on the databases encompasses. Since Exchange 2003 Standard supports up to four databases, does this mean I can have four individual 75 GB databases running under Exchange 2003 Standard, or does it mean the total of all four databases can't exceed 75 GB, therefore requiring Exchange 2003 Enterprise? Not sure where you obtained that information from - Exchange Server 2003 Standard does not support 4 databases. You can have 2 - one Mailbox Store and one Public Folder Store. ht...

Excel
i use Excel with office xp. i have a form we have made that requires client Name, Address, Phone, Fax etc etc etc... currently i keep all those contacts within my outlook contacts... is there a way i can type in the client business name in that cell, and have excel do one of the following: autofill with available address, phone, fax, PC, City/Town, contact... or... give me a choice of available contact... keep in mind, the Address, Phone, Fax, PC, City, Contact Name are all different rows and colums... Any thoughts Big One method....... Export your Contacts from Outlook as a *.CSV f...

Excel VB Code Error
I am trying to create a .csv file from an Excel workbook using a VB module and am wondering if someone can tell me what's wrong with the below code: Public Sub CSV2() Application.DisplayAlerts = False Sheets.Add ActiveSheet.Name = "Temp_10001" For Each ws In Worksheets If ws.Name <> "Temp_10001" Then ws.UsedRange.Copy Sheets("Temp_10001").Range("A1").Activate x = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count If x > 1 Then ActiveCell.Offset(x, 0).Select ActiveCell.PasteSpec...

Problems saving excel file from outlook
I have an EU that whenever he saves an excel file from outlook, it will rename the file (by adding the number "2" at the end of the file "file2.xls") and it also changes all the embedding links in the document. (The embedding link of F:\users\file.xls changes to c:\documents and settings\file.xls) Are you setting a Hyperlink base for your links? See Menu > File > Property > Summary tab. Put the original folder location there and when you move or save the file the links will not be renamed. Also assigning a letter to the drive can cause problems (not ...

Line Chart #13
Hi, The following is my data and I need to chart this. Is it possible to have a range in one cell? Thanks for your help in advance Experience (Years) Large Medium Small 1 $90,000-$100,000 $75,000-90,000 $65,000-78,000 2 $92,000-100,000 $80,000-95,000 $75,000-85,000 3 $105,000-130,000 $90,000-100,000 $85,000-95,000 4 $117,000-150,000 $100,000-115,000 $90,000-110,000 5 $140,000-170,000 $115,000-130,000 $100,000+ 6 $140,000-190,000 $135,000+ $100,000+ 7 $170,000-250,000 $135,000+ $110,000+ ...

Logic question #2
I have a manual process that involves viewing customer billing data in an xl sheet and looking for a customer number value that repeats. If the customer number repeats that infers that there are multiple invoices. We edit our xl sheet by adding adjacent columns with the following 4 column headings: "Logic", "Current", "+1", and "+2". The user inputs "0" to denote it is a current invoice or a "1" or a "2" to place in aging bucket column in the logic column for that customer row. The remaining three columns have @if ...

Excel tab as windows
Is there a way while running Excel to be working on one tab and open another tab as a smaller window that is always on top. So I can enter information in both tabs without having to minimize, maximize, or switch back & forth? Thanks C. Fillmore Hi you could align the windows so you can see both at the same time. But a 'always on top' option does not exist AFAIK -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany surveyorinva wrote: > Is there a way while running Excel to be working on one tab and open > another tab as a smaller window that is always on top. So I can > enter in...

Refresh pivot chart when info in a cell changes
To all, I am looking for help with a Macro. What I ultimately want to do is refresh a pivot chart when the user makes a selection from a list (in a data validation cell). For example, I am an end user that selects my territory from a "drop down". The pivot chart will update to the information that is directly related to my territory. Thanks in advance for your help. Excel 2007, PivotTable With Table dependent drop-downs instead of data validation drop-downs. With non-event-driven macros. http://www.mediafire.com/file/ygzjqyi2j1x/03_09_10.xlsm ...

can cvs files be opened using excel viewer
i have a user who cannot open cvs files with excel viewer but can ope with the full version of excel...anyone experienced this problem and i so, can you pls post the resolution -- darrie ----------------------------------------------------------------------- darriel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2388 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37522 There is nothing in the description of the Excel Viewer to suggest that it can read anything other than true XLS files. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;...

CreateObject(), GetObject() question
I have the following sub Sub test() 'it doesn't matter which of these I use. Dim olApp As Object 'Dim olApp As Outlook.Application 'always a (8007007e) error with following line. 'Set olApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") 'never get an error as long as Outlook is open Set olApp = GetObject(, "Outlook.Application") Set olApp = Nothing MsgBox "Done" End Sub I have a reference set to Microsoft Outlook Object Library. I commented out the CreateObject() line because I get a ...

how do i search an excel sheet for links to another spreadhseet?
Is there a Find function that allows me to look for links in a sheet? When I can't find links, I'll use Bill Manville's FindLink program: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm Flutie99 wrote: > > Is there a Find function that allows me to look for links in a sheet? -- Dave Peterson ...

DST Update 2007 question
Hi, I am hoping someone can confirm this is correct: We have windows xp sp2 clients running outlook 2003. We also have an exchange server. I did a test today. I updated the server, and today I installed the update to windows xp to fix the DST. I then ran the time zone utility for outlook. This utility changed 16 appointments from the calendar in the dst time range (march 11 to april 1 and some in oct 28 to nov 4). What it did was the appointments/meetings where I was the organizer/creator, it set them back 1 hour. So a meeting that was scheduled for 4 PM, now shows 3 PM when i look in ...

data labels in charts
This is a probably one of the simplest questions but I'm just starting to chart again. I have entered a category title "year" in cell A1 and entered from 1995 to 2000 from A2 to A7 that I want to appear on the horizontal axis. I have entered a title in B1(unemployed) and 5 values B2 to B7 directly below. When I choose a "column" chart my vertical axis appears correctly but the horizontal axis does not include the years as labels. The labels that appear are the numbers 1 to 6 instead of 1995 to 2000. How do I make the chart pick up the data labels from colu...

Excel Reader scroll bar???
I'm using an Excel viewer to read e-mail attachments from my home office. I don't have Excel installed on my machine, only the viewer. Often I do not have the horizontal scroll bar. I have tried maximizing the window and still no luck. Any solutions for this? Thanks ...

Question Variation: Shading a portion of the space between two lines
I posted a question on March 21 about how to shade a small portion of space between two lines and got an answer from Jon that helped immensely. I have a slight variation on that question. I've tried manipulating the data in several ways myself, and got close, but no cigar. Here is my revised question. I have another chart with two intersecting lines. I want to shade a small portion of the space before the intersection and another small portion of the space after the intersection. Specifically, there are 13 points on each line and I want to shade the space between points 1 and 5 and a...