Help with adding x-axis major gridlines

I'm trying to make a chart that will have small tick-marks along the x-axis
for a fiscal week, and a long tick-mark separating the fiscal month.  I think
I'm not formatting the data properly in the worksheet.  Any ideas?
0
Judi (12)

Use a Line chart with dates as the X values. Double click the X axis. On the
Scale tab, set the X axis minimum to occur on the 1st of a month. Set the
Base Unit to Day(s), the Major Unit to 1 Month(s), the Minor Unit to 7
Day(s). On the Patterns tab, choose whatever for Major Ticks and something
besides None for Minor Ticks. Click OK. On the Chart menu, choose Chart
Options, and on the Gridlines tab, check the box for Category (X) Axis Major
Gridlines.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Judi" <Judi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to make a chart that will have small tick-marks along the
> x-axis
> for a fiscal week, and a long tick-mark separating the fiscal month.  I
> think
> I'm not formatting the data properly in the worksheet.  Any ideas?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
12/28/2006 12:40:19 AM
Judi -

> This has been very helpful, Jon.  Thank you so much.  However, each time I
> change the setting, it defaults back to its original setting.  Is it how
> I'm
> formatting the data source?

Is it a pivot chart? Pivot charts revert to default formatting at the drop
of a hat. Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand your description.

> I have the data in there with dates (which I don't want to show up), and I
> have a fiscal month next to that (which I DO want to show up - and just
> have
> the date information as tick marks on the x-axis).  Does that make sense?

If the major unit is 1 month, you can have a label each month, the first if
the chart begins on the first of a month. You can format it to show just the
name of the month (number format "mmm" for Jan or "mmmm" for January). You
can't just move it to the middle of the month, though.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> Use a Line chart with dates as the X values. Double click the X axis. On
>> the
>> Scale tab, set the X axis minimum to occur on the 1st of a month. Set the
>> Base Unit to Day(s), the Major Unit to 1 Month(s), the Minor Unit to 7
>> Day(s). On the Patterns tab, choose whatever for Major Ticks and
>> something
>> besides None for Minor Ticks. Click OK. On the Chart menu, choose Chart
>> Options, and on the Gridlines tab, check the box for Category (X) Axis
>> Major
>> Gridlines.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______
>>

>> "Judi" <Judi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm trying to make a chart that will have small tick-marks along the
>> > x-axis
>> > for a fiscal week, and a long tick-mark separating the fiscal month.  I
>> > think
>> > I'm not formatting the data properly in the worksheet.  Any ideas?

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)
12/28/2006 9:56:53 PM
What you can do, which is a bit of a kludge, is arrange your data like this
(view with non-proportional font):

             Value
Jan     1       4
        8       5
       15       6
       22       7
       29       8
Feb     5       9
       12      10
       19      11
       26      12
Mar     5      13
       12      14
       19      15
       26      16

The first column is the month if it's the first week of the month, otherwise
blank*. The second column is the day of the month. The third column is the
data. The first two cells in the top row are blank*, the cell above the
values has a label. Make a line or column chart. *These must be true blank
cells, not a formula that returns "" to look like a blank.

The X axis will look like this, with the month names centered beneath the
dates within that month:

 1   8  15  22  29   5  12  19  26   5  12  19  26
        Jan               Feb             Mar

- Jon
-------

>I don't think it's a pivot chart. Let me try to explain again.  I'm looking
> at some data that's collected each week.  I have 52 data points that my
> boss
> wants to see - they're hours worked per week.  Now, he wants to see bars
> for
> that (or whatever we use), but the labels at the bottom - he just wants to
> see the FISCAL month.  For last fiscal year, October was 5 weeks, November
> 4,
> December 4, January 5, February 4, etc., with my first data point being
> Friday, September 30, 2005.
>
> So, the x-axis is the week (but he'd like to see labels of months,
> instead -
> but FISCAL months, not normal months), and the y-axis is the number of
> hours.
>

> Does that make it any more clear?
>

> "Jon Peltier" wrote:
>
>> Judi -
>>
>> > This has been very helpful, Jon.  Thank you so much.  However, each
>> > time I
>> > change the setting, it defaults back to its original setting.  Is it
>> > how
>> > I'm
>> > formatting the data source?
>>
>> Is it a pivot chart? Pivot charts revert to default formatting at the
>> drop
>> of a hat. Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand your description.
>>
>> > I have the data in there with dates (which I don't want to show up),
>> > and I
>> > have a fiscal month next to that (which I DO want to show up - and just
>> > have
>> > the date information as tick marks on the x-axis).  Does that make
>> > sense?
>>
>> If the major unit is 1 month, you can have a label each month, the first
>> if
>> the chart begins on the first of a month. You can format it to show just
>> the
>> name of the month (number format "mmm" for Jan or "mmmm" for January).
>> You
>> can't just move it to the middle of the month, though.
>>
>> - Jon
>> -------
>> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> http://PeltierTech.com
>> _______

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Web Services install error on AD LDS
I am trying to install GP 10 Web Services (with the SP3 installer) on a Windows 2008 SP2 x64 server. Every time I try the install I receive the error: The Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services role must be installed on the computer before installing the Microsoft Dynamics GP Web Service. I have installed AD LDS, and didn't receive any errors on install. I have rebooted a couple of times, still the same error. I have uninstalled and reinstalled AD LDS and still have the problem. Shawn, You may want to check the following KB articles for resolution to your problem: System...

Adding 2nd server in an Exchange 5.5 environment
Is there an easy way to move the IMS connector from one Exchange 5.5 server to another? I recently added a new Exchange 5.5 server running on Windows 2000( No AD). Now I would like to move the IMS connector so I can remove the original mail server from the network. ( The Original server is a dog) I have just started this process and the goal is to get my old P2 system out of the network and replace it with a much faster Dual Xeon box, then upgrade the new mail server to Exchange 2000.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... -- Dale I believe the correct process is to instal...

Countif help needed
I am trying to use a countif statement for column A to count the number of times a District is "CAR" PLUS those CAR listings where column N (DAYS) is >499. I've tried =COUNTIF(A:A="CAR")+(N:N=">499") and =SUM((District="CAR")*(Days>499)) as an array, but neither works...help please!! Jess Jessica, Close: =SUMPRODUCT((District="CAR")*(Days>499)) HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Jessica Krall" <Jessica Krall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C4594ED-8F33-4E1E-9FB8-80066C05...

Macro Help #4
I want to copy a Row of Text Data from 1 workbook and locate a blank row in the 2nd work book to past the data.. Each time data is pasted it will be on a new row. I want this to be a Macro. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Norm I replied to a similar question on this forum which can be found at http://www.excelforum.com/t175709-s You may have to tweak the code a little to suit your needs. Hope it helps --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ See the Excel/VBA/'Beyond Excel's recorder' page of my web site, specifically, example 2 http://ww...

adding months to an inputted date
I need a function that will take a date that a user has typed in a different cell and will then add two months to the date. For instance, if I type "2/12/05" in B1, then I want C2 to be: "4/12/05". Thank you for any help that you may be able to give. Logan =DATE(YEAR(B1),MONTH(B1)+2,DAY(B1)) however what do you want the date to be in C2 if B1 is 01/30/05? Regards, Peo Sjoblom "BLW" wrote: > I need a function that will take a date that a user has typed in a different > cell and will then add two months to the date. For instance, if I type >...

Need help with 2k OWA
I'm having a problem with OWA. I need to have my users logon without having to type in the domain name. I have configured the default domain in Exchange System Manager but OWA still will not function without adding the domain name. If anyone has any suggestions...Please help!! Thanks Carl "Carl Johnson" <carl.johnson86@verizon.net> wrote: >I'm having a problem with OWA. I need to have my users logon without having >to type in the domain name. I have configured the default domain in Exchange >System Manager but OWA still will not function without adding the...

Microsoft Excel Help
Why are they called arguments when creating an Excel function? i need to no for a Excel test! what makes them arguments? Hi if you mean the 'parameteres' of a function how would you call them otherwise :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "martz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0b2601c4d8e5$c05f7bd0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Why are they called arguments when creating an Excel > function? i need to no for a Excel test! what makes them > arguments? ...

Need help grouping charts
I have identical charts which occur on multiple sheets. Is there any wa to group them for editing? When I group the sheets themselves, it seems to deactivate the charts I tried doing it with a macro as an alternative and then flipping th sheets one by one and keying the macro, but I get a message box with: "Run-time error 1004", "Unable to get the ChartObjects property of th worksheet class". Does anyone have any ideas -- Izz ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Izzy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getin...

Help with Now()
Hi, I am creating a spreadsheet and I need to have a cell and that record the date and time each row is entered seperately. The problem I have at the moment is whenever I add a new row of data i updates the previous rows time? does any one have any suggestions on how to stop this happening? thank -- sydoll ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sydolly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2712 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46697 Now() is a volatile function and will change ev...

Need help abbreviating an IF(COUNTIFS formula
I have a formula that when I hit enter says: "The specified formula cannot be entered because it uses more levels of nesting than are allowed in the current file format." Here is my formula: =IF(COUNTIFS($DP2,"A VIP",$DQ2,"B Customer"),"B Customer",IF(COUNTIFS($DQ2,"",$DR2,"B Customer"),"B Customer",IF(COUNTIFS($DP2,"A VIP",$DQ2,""),"A VIP",IF(COUNTIFS($DQ2,"B Customer",$DR2,"C Prospect"),"B Customer",IF(COUNTIFS($DQ2,"",$DR2,"C Prospect"),"...

Help with Raw Stock Data Collection
Is it possible to have Excel search through 1 minute raw data and be able to determine if the price moves between a certain boundary for a certain time then it will be classified as "Type 1". And if it is increasing for a certain time then it will be "Type 2" and likewise for when it is decreasing. I want Excel to be able to automatically search through the raw data and determine what is the type of state without myself having to manually pinpoint it on the chart then going back and doing a manual search and calculation in Excel. Only issue is that the exact number determi...

Outlook keeps asking for password
Hi, Server is SBS 2008 with SP2. Clients running Vista SP2. In the last couple of days (possibly after server updates were applied, but not sure) every time users open Outlook they get a dialog asking for a password. If the user enters their correct password the dialog just comes straight back again. On looking at the password request box, I notice it is quoting the external remote domain name "remote.accordconsultancy.co.uk" not the internal network name "accordserver.accordconsultancy.local". Can anyone explain what I need to do to stop this annoying ...

DB Mail is is not working. Need help please.
I have try stop and start the db mail by executing the SPs below but no luck. Does anyone has seem the error below and how to fix it. Thanks in advance for your advise/help. --steps USE msdb; go EXECute sysmail_stop_sp; go EXECute sysmail_start_sp; go EXECute sysmail_help_queue_sp @queue_type = 'Mail'; go queue_type length state last_empty_rowset_time last_activated_time ---------- ----------- ---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------- ------------...

HELP
I just wrote a check to the IRS, and in the Expense Catagory I indicated "Taxes : Federal Income Tax". Yet in the Income/Expense report, this payment is not included in my total federal taxes paid for this month. I should note that the check was written from an Investment Account. If I write the check from my checking account, the amount correctly shows up in the Income/Expense report. Any ideas as to why it works differently, depending on which account I pay the tax from? In microsoft.public.money, Tom wrote: >I just wrote a check to the IRS, and in the Expense Cat...

Adding % of total sales to a sales report
How would I add a field that shows what percentage is the value of sales for an item compared to the report total? -- Geoff Geoff, Which report and what do you want to see? -- * Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader to see and download the file attachment. If you are not using a reader, follow the link below to setup Outlook Express. Click on "Open with newsreader" under the MS Retail Management System on the right. http://tinyurl.com/75bgz ********** "Geoff" <Geoff@discussions.micros...

Calendar/Dates Help
Hi All, I have an excel spreadsheet that lists every date in the year, with a particular code in the next cell. IE: Monday 3/01/2005 11M 22M 32M Tuesday 4/01/2005 11T 22T 32T Wednes 5/01/2005 11W 22W 32W Thursday 6/01/2005 11H 22H 32H Friday 7/01/2005 11F 22F 32F Saturday 8/01/2005 11S 22S 32S Sunday 9/01/2005 11N 22N 32N Monday 10/01/2005 11M 21M 33M Tuesday 11/01/2005 11T 21T 33T Wednes 12/01/2005 11W 21W 33W Thursday 13/01/2005 11H 21H 33H Friday 14/01/2005 11F 21F 33F What I need is to be able to search by the code eg "33T" and have all the dates listed for ...

Urgent help with CStringArray
Hello, i need to return a CStringArray from a class method, but CStringArray (and CStringList also) doesn't have a copy constructor! I want avoid memory allocation within the metod because I don't want to force the class user to deallocate pointers... this is the piece of code: const CStringArray MyClass::MyMethod() { CStringArray StrArray; for (...) StrArray.Add("something"); return StrArray; // this will generate a missing copy constructor compile error } Thank you, Gaetano Sferra "Gaetano Sferra" <rebusmail@iol.it> wrote in messag...

vlookup help #3
hello, I cant figure out the proper syntax for the attached workbook. Th first 8 options on worksheet two work perfectly ( ie when checked, the appear on worksheet 3) I dont know how to apply the formula of th first 8 options to the rest of the checkboxes. Can someone please help me figure out how to do this? Thanks i advance. Aladdi Attachment filename: start order2.zip Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=46674 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Right-click on the sheet tab for the Options worksheet. Select View ...

Bill Pay Help
I just signed up for Bill Pay (I have Money 2005), I'm not sure how to coordinate Bill Pay with my Bills list and my checking account register. It makes a separate Bill Pay register, but won't allow me to merge it with my checking account (as Help suggests). Tech support was completely useless, in fact it seems they're in a hurry to get us off the phone. ...

Just Help Me
Hello All . . . Please answer the questionary in the following URI http://nees.awardspace.com/ Thanks a lot . . . :D Post the question here, and we might. -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) "CorfuVBProgrammer" <merianosnikos@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1167902152.017496.205590@11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com... > Hello All . . . > > Please answer the questionary in the following URI > > http://nees.awardspace.com/ > > Thanks a lot . . . :D > ...

Help revising slow code
I am using the following code to remove all the lines in a worksheet that have a zero value in Column H. Because there are thousands of rows in the worksheet, this loop takes forever! Does anyone have any suggestions for doing this more quickly? Thanks! Sub Delete_Row_w0() Dim Firstrow As Long Dim LastRow As Long Dim Lrow As Long Dim CalcMode As Long Dim ViewMode As Long With Application CalcMode = .Calculation .Calculation = xlCalculationManual .ScreenUpdating = False End With With Sheets(1) .Select ...

Need Help
Query: Say i have multiple sheets dated 04/01/10 to 04/30/10, each contain names, say A, B, C, D, etc... but these name does not appear in the same order in each sheet. Now data is in time format in front of A, B, C, D, etc. Eg. in sheet 04/01/10 A1 B1 A 1:00:00 D 1:53:00 C 2:45:00 like this data in other sheet till 04/30/10. Now in a new sheet i want this data to be collated in time format in front of the individual sorted in Alphabetical order. Also it should give me the Sum of the data. Is it possible and how? Thanks in advance for the help!...

corrupted PST file
Hi, I have Outlook 98, running on XP, on a PII 400Mghz Dell desktop. My PST file is about 1.95GB. It has been running extremely slow, and has had to be restarted a bunch of times in the past 2 weeks. Yesterday, it gave an error that the PST file was corrupted, and that PST file need to have the Inbox Repair Tool run on the file, and then the system restarted. I ran the Inbox Repair Tool on the PST, and it did not work. I am totally unable to use the file, which has all my critical contacts and emails. If someone could help out, I would be MOST grateful.... I pulling my friggin ...

Autofilter help
Hi all I have 4 columns of data with an auto filter on - all ok I then reduce my selection so I finally only have one row of data - all ok Not ok: Problem: Is there an easy way that I can copy the data in the top row of the filter, to another worksheet page - so if the filter is changed so top line shows new result - still copies over the data in the top row of the filter. Bearing in mind that the top row could be I.E. Originally Row 8 or 108 depending on the selection. Autofilter Line = 1 2 3 4 eg Result of A/F a a a a <== copy the result of this line to dif...

Y-axis title truncated excel 2002
I can't get excel 2002 to show the complete y-axis title along the y-axis. It truncates in the plot whatever I type in the Chart Options, Value (Y) axis box. No problem with the Chart Title or X-axis. Is it worth changing from excel 2002 to excel XP (which I have). I'm running win2000. Puzzled. REX Others have reported this problem. One solution is to add some extra characters to the y-axis title and to format these to a colour that makes them invisible on the chart. I have never seen this myself - I use XL2002 and XL2003 best wishes Bernard "T-Rex" <T-Rex@foo.co...