Help on displaying recession periods in a financial/ stock chart

Using excel version (10.6501.6626)sp3

How do you shade the chart background to show economic recession periods in a financial/ stock chart. I've fiddled with the drawing function-rectangle box, transparency, etc- but it isn't very satisfactory since it corrupts the column/ line colors and usually washes out when printed. So that doesn't appear to be the solution. And after checking thru Microsoft help and the discussion group messages I haven't found a message addressing my problem. Since we see charts all the time with the recession periods shown I know there is a way to accomplish it; but it's defeated me! Thanks.

0
mccutch (1)

Here's an old one I just dusted off. It describes making a gray
background for weekends in a stock chart. You can apply the same
technique to your chart.

   http://www.google.com/groups?selm=39122F02.EC337FF2%40home.com

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

mccutch wrote:

> Using excel version (10.6501.6626)sp3
>
> How do you shade the chart background to show economic recession
> periods in a financial/ stock chart. I've fiddled with the drawing
> function-rectangle box, transparency, etc- but it isn't very
> satisfactory since it corrupts the column/ line colors and usually
> washes out when printed. So that doesn't appear to be the solution.
> And after checking thru Microsoft help and the discussion group
> messages I haven't found a message addressing my problem. Since we
> see charts all the time with the recession periods shown I know there
> is a way to accomplish it; but it's defeated me! Thanks.

0
DOjonNOT (619)

refresh pivot chart
I got "client Safty options do not allow pass through statements to be issued to the data source" when I refresh pivot table chart. I am able to refresh MS query to access same MS Access tables or queries from same database. Are there any limited to refrsh pivot table chart using cub? Your information is great appreciated, You can change a registry setting to fix the problem. There's information in the following MSKB article: You receive an error when you create an OLAP cube-based PivotTable in Excel http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887297/en-us Souris wrote: > I go...

Macro to create charts?
I recorded a macro to create charts using the Wizard, but ran into a problem. My X-axis is in Col. A. The label is in A1, and the data starts in A5 (time). I modified the macro to use the last data row, and I also modified it to use other ranges for data, keeping Col A as my X-axis. This version, though, gave me fits on one particular sheet. Cols B - J are data to be plotted by the lines in the chart. On one worksheet, however, the sensor for the Col B data didn't record, and the recorder program filled the column with "NONE". The Wizard and the macro *insisted* on ...

Recommend a better charting utility (than Excel2003)
Hi The charts/graph-making utilities that come as standard with ms Excel (2003) are driving me nuts! Can anyone recommend anything better that is dirt cheap?! Maybe an Excel plug-in or something? Ship Shiperton Henethe P.S. My budget is no more than say GBP 10.00 (or say $US 15.00) PPS - Is there anything free from Microsoft?? Ship: Sorry to here that excel charting is driving you "nuts". You have come to the right place, a good first step. There are lots of people here who have gone through the same learning curve that you are experiencing now. To help us help you, pleas...

Excel worksheet display ####
I have problem with my excel workshhet. When I change setting in the Regional and language options in windows xp (--advanced--> select a language to match language version of the non-unicode programs you want to use-->from Englsih (United States) to Chinese PR), some of the cells (especially number) in the excel worksheet display as ##### . Why this can be happend and how to solve the problem. This is because the excel worksheet is a share file,not all the users are using the same languade for non-unicode program. Thank you -- pang ##### indicates that the column is not wide...

Objects & Line Colors Do Not Display Properly in Publisher 2003
Help! The Office Support department will not provide any help since we are a school and our version of Office (2003 Professional) is a volume licensed version. As a school we cannot afford to pay for support, so I am desperately hoping that someone might have the answer to my question. When I draw an object in Publisher (rectangle, oval, etc.) no line appears around the object--only the handles. When I look at the settings for the object, all of the options appear normal except for the line color which is blank. Changing the line color has no effect and the preview box is also blan...

Fiscal Period Error
I have adjusted the fiscal periods & when I close the Fiscal Period Setup window I receive the error / warning: "These changes will cause period balances to be incorrect. You will have to reconcile the General Ledger, Payables Management, and Receivables Management modules." I went into the Reconcile to GL window in the Financial Routines section, but all this seems to do is open an Excel spreadsheet. Is this window prompting me for a task I must complete in GP or is it a warning that its a good business practice to perform a manual reconciliation? Adam, You are looki...

Chart Templates #2
Hi Does anybody know where the UserDefined Charts are stored inside Excel 2003, and also could they have there default location changed. Regards David I believe the file is called "xlusrgal.xls". You will need to have at least one user-defined chart created to obtain this file. -- John Mansfield http://cellmatrix.net "DMc2004" wrote: > Hi > > Does anybody know where the UserDefined Charts are stored inside Excel 2003, > and also could they have there default location changed. > > Regards > > David ...

Multiple Series of Series in Stacked Column chart?
I'm using Excel 2000, and I'd like to see if there is a way to create a chart using multiple series of series in a stacked column chart (2D). Specifically, I have several series defined by a VBA program, and they are graphed along six categories. I want to group those categories together and then group again by month. It should look like a common Clustered Column graph, but instead of normal columns, each one would be a stacked column. In the end, there will be three months shown along the x axis, each month showing six categories with six stacked columns. The colors in the sta...

Clustered-Stacked-Column Combo Chart With Lines
Hello, I'm hoping you'll be able to help me with this... I have multiple charts (Clustered-Stacked-Column Combo Chart With Lines) with the same layout and currently I have to manually update them .... one series at a time (7 in each chart and 30 charts).... :o( I would like to automate this as much as possible. I have a data range from Jan 09 to Dec 2010... However the line series of the charts reference another data table. I would like to specify the Start point and End point of the chart (12month rolling). The issue herein lies that these charts have already bee...

Help please: You do not have permission to send to this recipient.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C6C860.EA0C2D40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm having this problem with a new exchange server that I'm installing. Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Tst Sent: 8/25/2006 3:53 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: userxx@yahoo.com on 8/25/2006 3:53 PM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, = contact your system administrator. <domain.com #5.7....

Pie chart #10
I need to make a Pie chart of some workers but being new to this I am not exactly sure if I am doing it correctly. It goes something like this M T W TH F JJ 400 400 400 400 400 5 Hours BB 200 200 200 200 200 3 Hours CV 200 200 200 200 200 3 hours DD 125 125 125 125 125 2 Hours How do I set it up so that each of these values are reflected on the chart? Thanks A pie chart can only show one series, so it could show the data for one worker, or one day. What are you trying to show in the char...

Help! What might happen if Excel spends a lot of time pasting?
Help! What might happen if Excel spends a lot of time pasting? Hi all, I just don't understand this. I don't know ever since when, my Excel is so slow, esp. when I copy and paste. When I copy from one book, and paste to another book, the very instant when I enter "ctrl+v" to paste... the whole Excel freezes and my CPU usage went to 100%... The whole program is not responding any more. Can anybody help? Thanks! What kind of things are you trying to copy and paste, is it just a few cells, or is it an entire sheet, webpage, etc? I'd imagine that you might have a ...

creating help info for user defined function
I have some custom functions written, and would like to provide a little note on the function variable input box that explains what the function does (the same as microsofts functions have tips). Can anyone help with doing this? Hi Joe, I sometime use a very basic form of help, Next to where you want to make the help. Create a graphic box using the drawing toolbar. Then turn this box into a hyperlink (Just link it to where the box is. Then in the hyperlink properties there is a button called screen tip ! Here enter you help text and then when people move the mouse over it ...

how to display single database records into forms for printing
I have info stored in a csv format, viewable by excel. I want to take each individual record of that database and put it into a form suitable for printing. And then print each record. I will also need to do this on a regular basis, using data in the same format, but with different numbers of records in each database. Is there an easy way to do this? It's called Mail Merge: http://www.officearticles.com/word/mail_merge_letters_in_microsoft_word.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "need help" <need help@discussions.micros...

wild card -- help with formula
Hello all. I cant seem to get this formula to work right when I use a wild card. I need to count how many entries in column H: have "CXL" in the text. here is what I have =SUMPRODUCT((B1:B3000=DATE(2006,1,6))*(H1:H3000="cxl")*1) if I try =SUMPRODUCT((B1:B3000=DATE(2006,1,6))*(H1:H3000="*cxl*")*1) then it wont work.. could anyone please help? Thanks! =SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B3000=DATE(2006,1,6)),--(ISNUMBER(FIND("cxl",H1:H3000)))) -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Michael A" <MichaelA@discussi...

Yahoo SMTP POP3 ? Help
I can't send or receive my second email account with yahoo. My settings are: All my User Information: Your name: email address without @yahoo.com Email Address:username@yahoo.com Logon Info User name: email address without @yahoo.com Password: yahoo password Remember password: box checked Advanced tab POP3 110 SMTP 25 (I've tried 587) Server Info Incoming (POP3): pop.mail.yahoo.com Outgoing (SMTP): smtp.mail.yahoo.com More settings: Outgoing Server tab My out serv (SMTP) requires auth: box checked Log on using User name: email address withou...

label, display and schema names
where the label, display and schema names are stored in CRM 3.0? Most of this data is stoered in the Metabase DB, but updating it directly is not recommended. Some of the data is also stored in the OrganizationUIBase table in the MSCRM DB. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Yan" <Yan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B18092CE-1087-41CB-946C-E71A905E6CDE@microsoft.com... where the label, display and schema names are stored in CRM 3.0? ...

How to handle power down for extended periods?
office will be power down for 2 days in october. need to do something about mail. ideally capture everything via a MX address change and (use some software? suggestions) to pump it into my home pc. then when power is back, replay it. office server is exchange 2003 On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:43:06 -0700, loupgarou <loupgarou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >office will be power down for 2 days in october. > >need to do something about mail. ideally capture everything via a MX address >change and (use some software? suggestions) to pump it into my home pc. then >when po...

Publish changes for entity that does not display 'Forms and Views'
Hello, I made a couple of minor changes to the view of ‘Customer Relationship’ entity. Since ‘Forms and Views’ is hidden for this entity, I can’t publish my changes. How can I publish my changes? Any ideas? Thanks. ...

Help with Replicating Schedule+ Free Busy time
I have following MS article 307917 on removing the first Exchange 2000 server from a site. I have 2 exchange servers one is 2000 and the second 2003. I have successfully completed all the steps in the MS article except replicating the Schedule+ Fee Busy time. All the mailboxes and public folders have been transferred successfully for about a month now but still nothing from the Schedule+ information. I turned on more replication logging but I not receiving any errors. What I'm wondering during this month long trail, I have shut down the server for a week to see if anything would be...

Need help publishing web service
Hello, I created a simple web service for testing purpose in Visual Studio 2005: [WSTest.asmx] <%@ WebService Language="C#" CodeBehind="~/App_Code/Service.cs" Class="WSTest" %> [App_Code/Service.cs] using System; using System.Web; using System.Web.Services; using System.Web.Services.Protocols; [WebService(Namespace = "http://bonusnaweb.com.br/WebService/")] [WebServiceBinding(ConformsTo = WsiProfiles.BasicProfile1_1)] public class WSTest : System.Web.Services.WebService { [WebMethod] public int Sum(int num1, int num2) { r...

Help with Excel Extraction
Hi Can anyone please help? How do I do the following: I would like to extract information based on the following criteria. We open excel up and the first screen opens with 6 headings showing: Setting goals and objectives Marketing Manpower planning Financial matters Performance review Business planning I then choose to click on say the �Marketing box� which I want it to automatically open a new screen with say 7 predetermined boxes [i.e. previously defined for inclusion within the marketing box] showing: PR Sales Market research Competitor review Direct marketing Networking Advertisin...

my two fold flyer doesn't fit in the plastic display case..what t.
I am trying to fold regular paper in two and use the plastic brochure holders from office depot. The problem I am having is that once I fold the flyer in half it does not fit into the slot without bowing the middle. Is there a template just for one sided brochure publication. I am very new to publisher so please break it down for me in lamen terms.....TY PJ Those holders usually are made to hold three panel brochures. What you need to do is measure the opening and setup up your Publication for that size. You will have to trim if you insist on using a custom size. Lots of good templa...

Please help! Having trouble w/ sending & recieving
I am currently using microsoft outlook 2002. I was doing fine with sending and recieving emails until about 2 weeks ago. I am getting eror messages saying that some of my emails did not reach the recpients, with no spcific reason. The weird thing is, I have sent these people emails all the time before. None of my settings have been changed at all. The funny part is that some people even try to email me and there emails get bounced back to them, with the same eror messages that I get. Can anyone help me! Thanks Angie Can you post the test of the undeliverable messages you're ge...