Gridlines on Column Chart

Hello-

I am trying to create a stacked column chart with gridlines that only appear
for every 2 columns.  How can I do this in Excel 2007?  All I can find is how
to insert a major gridline between every column.

Thanks,

Sean
0
SeanF74 (3)

Hi,

Format the X axis, on the Axis Options section set 'Interval between
tickmarks' to 2.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"SeanF74" <SeanF74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello-
>
> I am trying to create a stacked column chart with gridlines that only
> appear
> for every 2 columns.  How can I do this in Excel 2007?  All I can find is
> how
> to insert a major gridline between every column.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sean

0
andy9699 (3616)
9/16/2009 7:57:03 AM
That did not work. The major grid lines running from the X axis are still
running between each column.

-Sean

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Format the X axis, on the Axis Options section set 'Interval between
> tickmarks' to 2.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "SeanF74" <SeanF74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello-
> >
> > I am trying to create a stacked column chart with gridlines that only
> > appear
> > for every 2 columns.  How can I do this in Excel 2007?  All I can find is
> > how
> > to insert a major gridline between every column.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Sean

0
SeanF74 (3)
9/16/2009 4:09:02 PM
It worked for me.
http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng61.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

> That did not work. The major grid lines running from the X axis are still
> running between each column.
>
> -Sean
>
> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Format the X axis, on the Axis Options section set 'Interval between
>> tickmarks' to 2.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>
>> --
>>
>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> http://www.andypope.info
>> "SeanF74" <SeanF74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello-
>> >
>> > I am trying to create a stacked column chart with gridlines that only
>> > appear
>> > for every 2 columns.  How can I do this in Excel 2007?  All I can find
>> > is
>> > how
>> > to insert a major gridline between every column.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Sean

0
andy9699 (3616)
9/17/2009 8:26:37 AM
Thanks andy.

I didn't specify in the first post, but it is a stacked column chart created
as a pivot chart.  This may be why it is not working for me.

-Sean

"Andy Pope" wrote:

> It worked for me.
> http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng61.htm
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "SeanF74" <SeanF74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That did not work. The major grid lines running from the X axis are still
> > running between each column.
> >
> > -Sean
> >
> > "Andy Pope" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Format the X axis, on the Axis Options section set 'Interval between
> >> tickmarks' to 2.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Andy
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >> http://www.andypope.info
> >> "SeanF74" <SeanF74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
SeanF74 (3)
9/17/2009 12:27:03 PM
Principle still works on a PivotChart. Unless you have more than 1 variable
on the Axis Field OR you have the data table displayed.

Cheers
Andy

--

> Thanks andy.
>
> I didn't specify in the first post, but it is a stacked column chart
> created
> as a pivot chart.  This may be why it is not working for me.
>
> -Sean
>
> "Andy Pope" wrote:
>
>> It worked for me.
>> http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng61.htm
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>
>> --
>>
>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> http://www.andypope.info
>> "SeanF74" <SeanF74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > That did not work. The major grid lines running from the X axis are
>> > still
>> > running between each column.
>> >
>> > -Sean

0
andy9699 (3616)

Activating "Todays Date" column upon opening?
Ok I have a workbook that tracks Vacation Dates, Attendence, and Schedules for all employees in a department. Row 8 Starting from column B (B8) and beyond (B9, B10, B11, B12...) contains the date. This runs all the way to the end of the year (12/31/05) Now what I would like to do is either A: Make it automatically (search & activate) the column for "today's" date when I select the worksheet Or B: Make a button that will do the same. Here is a rough guestimate of what the sheet looks like A B C D E F ...

Gridview Gridlines color
I have a small GridView that defaults to the gridlines being white. The problem is that I am setting my background to white. How do I set the GridLines to "#a6a6a6"? Thanks, Tom On Jan 20, 12:55=A0am, "tshad" <t...@pdsa.com> wrote: > I have a small GridView that defaults to the gridlines being white. > > The problem is that I am setting my background to white. > > How do I set the GridLines to "#a6a6a6"? > > Thanks, > > Tom Did you try to set like this BorderColor=3D"#a6a6a6" BorderStyle=3D...

Chart with two axis
Hi, I have the following data: column A: jan feb mar apr column B: 3 8 5 9 column C: 26 40 45 38 I would like to get a chart where in the horizontal axis I have the monthes and I have 4 points, connected by lines. The first point will have the value 3 in correspondence of the left vertical axis and the value 26 in correspondences of the right vertical axis. .... The fourth point will have the value 9 in correspondence of the left vertical axis and the value 38 in correspondences of the right vertical axis. How can I can do it? Thanks P If I understand what you are asking you want a ch...

Percent Data Label on 100% Stacked Column Chart
I've created a chart with three 100% stacked columns, each having multiple data points in common. I'd like to show what percentage each of the data points is in relation to its column but the percentage data label is greyed out. Is there another way to do what I'm trying? Thanks! You may want to try Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler add in. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm "PNichols" wrote: > I've created a chart with three 100% stacked columns, each having multiple > data points in common. I'd like to show what percentage each ...

How to import flow charts made in excel to visio as editable text #2
I have created flow charts using drawing objects (rectangles, circles etc) in excel. Now I want to import these diagrams in visio, such that I am able to edit the text entered in the rectangles etc while preparing the charts in excel. I have tried it by copying the individual rectangles / circles in excel and pasting them in visio. But they appear in visio as uneditable objects (similar to jpg image of text which cannot be edited as text). Kindly advise on how to import the excel diagrams as editable visio diagrams. See reply in visio.general group -- Best regards John John Gold...

Implementing a Label with certain data in Chart
Dear All ! I have a data set plotted in Excel. Is there any way to show automatically the minimum, maximum and median value of this data set on the chart? (In a form of label or anything similar) Minimum and maximum values are already part of data set. Median value is a calculated value and is in another cell(not part of data set). Thank You in advance I'd probably do this in a manner similar to what Jon Peltier shows here for the Vertical Category Axis. http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Y_CategoryAxis.html You could then create a custom format for each "Label" s...

How Do I create a spreadsheet with a finite set of columns and ro.
How Do I create a spreadsheet with a finite set of columns and rows? An Excel worksheet has 256 columns and 65536 rows. You can select and hide the ones you don't need, but you can not exceed the numbers. HTH. Best wishes Harald "walt093" <walt093@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:2C74E4EE-07E8-406D-90CC-5D453B0A06F3@microsoft.com... > How Do I create a spreadsheet with a finite set of columns and rows? ...

Radar Chart with Variable X Scale
Does anyone know how to make a radar plot with a non-equal X axis. I would like to specify a unique theta for each data point. Hi, This might help. http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/custom_radar/index.htm Cheers Andy Taryn wrote: > Does anyone know how to make a radar plot with a non-equal X axis. I would > like to specify a unique theta for each data point. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info Yeh, I saw that one from a previous post. It allows for a variable Y per each parameter but couldn't figure out how to make the X variable. "An...

going 3 columns over in a macro
Hello, I recorded a macro and have a small detail I need to fix, but am unsure how to do it. At the end of the recording of the macro, I hit the right arrow 3 times to move over 3 cells across. The problem is that the macro recorded it as follows: Range("F834").Select How do I change that line from an absolute reference to a relative one so that the cell I am on is 3 to the right? Thanks, Ben Try replacing this: Range("F834").Select With this: ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3).Select Whatever cell you're in when the macro runs will determine where you end up. If yo...

copy/paste excel charts as pictures
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC When I attempt to paste charts from Excel into Word using the 'copy picture' command, it tells me 'not enough memory'. So I upgraded from 512 Ram to 1.5 Ram, but still the same message. What's the problem? ...

Data selection on line chart
I'm collecting data but only want to chart the last 60 points on my line chart. To do this I have to manually update the series value information in the source data. for example: I have 176 rows of data and the chart series value is "=sheet1$b$117:$b$176" if I add a new row I have to change this to "=sheet1$b$118:$b$177". Is there any way to use a variable for this? say LRD is the last row of data could I change this value statement to be "=sheet1$b$(LRD-59):$b$(LRD) so that anytime I add a new row it would update the chart? thanks, Q -- Qiset ----------...

Charting Survey Results
Hi there I have a set of staff survey results which i am trying to chart. Each question is in a column, with each respondent's answers in a separate row. Their answers (A, B, C or D) to each question then marked in the column relevant to the question. I therefore have a list of respondents down the left hand column, a list of questions along the top row and a mass of As, Bs, Cs and Ds in the middle. I am trying to produce a 100% stacked column chart with individual questions along the x axis and % up the y axis. Each question will then show % of A answers, % of B answers, % of ...

How do I define production planning using Visio flow charts
I need to produce a flow chart to 'specify' the stages of manufacture. Can anyone show me the basic layout please? That sounds like a Value Stream Map. Look here for an example and instructions. Even if you don't have Visio 2007 Professional, this may give you an idea. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/visio/HA101130241033.aspx?pid=CH100985561033 -- Mark Nelson Office Graphics - Visio Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "George" <George @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Rows to columns
Hello all..............first post from an extremely newbie Excel user. My apologies if this particualr forum isnt the correct one for this post, however here goes :) OK, I've attached scren print of an excel spreadsheet (small extract of a larger one). On it there are columns A -> F. In column C there are 4 or 5 rows relating to one address. What i'm trying to do is move these rows into one single row, but move the number at the start of the address into the column in front. The ain is to be able to sort the entire work sheet into alphabetical order based on the street. Hopef...

Unable to delete rows/columns
Worksheets open with over 60,000 rows and many columns. Selecting cells and using the delete command does not work. Assume there is there is no links from worksheets to any other document because "Links" command is not highlighted. Charley Callahan Hi what does 'does not work' mean. Do you get an error? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "charles Callahan" <ccallah2@tampabay.rr.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:lYSLc.55646$IX4.7091715@twister.tampabay.rr.com... > Worksheets open with over 60,000 rows and many columns. Selecting cells and >...

Occurrences of a date in a column
Hi all, I'm not a very good Excel user (yet!) and after going through the topics, I don't think I've found what I need, so I'll ask the question. I have one column of data which is dates: Col A 1/17/05 1/17/05 1/17/05 1/18/05 1/18/05 1/19/05 1/20/05 1/20/05 1/20/05 1/20/05 How can I get a count that shows: 1/17/05: 3 occurrences 1/18/05: 2 occurrences 1/19/05: 1 occurrence 1/20/05: 4 occurrences thanks for your help! Phyl To get a distinct list, select the dates, do data>filter>advanced filter, select unique records only and copy to another location when you have...

Text-to-Column with Paragraph Delimiter
Hi all -- I have an Excel sheet where one column has entries on two lines in the single cell (separated by a paragraph mark). I want to split the column into two using the paragraph mark as the delimiter -- but I haven't been able to do this successfully. Is it possible and, if so, how do I go about it? Many thanks, AL Don't exactly know what you mean by a "paragraph mark", but if you used Char(10) (<Alt> <Enter), try this is TTC: Use "Delimited" and in the second step of the wizard, click on "other" and enter <Ctrl> <J> (Of cou...

How do I label or name a column in Excel?
please advise me how ot make a label or a name for each column in an Excel spreadsheet? You can't change the column headers in a worksheet. They are fixed as letters, by default, or numbers if you select the R1C1 reference style under Tools, Options, General. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "kmax" <kmax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:329627BC-145F-411B-B0CA-4CE689BE693A@microsoft.com... | please advise me how ot make a label or a name for each column in an Excel | spreadsheet? Kmax, just put your names in row 1 -- Paul B Always backup your data before t...

Adding a column if two ranges match
A B C D 1 Participant Volume Group 1 Group 2 2 name 1 3 name 3 name4 3 name 2 4 name 5 name 20 4 name 3 1 name 6 name 150 5 name ... --------------------------------------------------------------- Sum Sum I am attempting to add coulmn B based on which group the participants are associated with. I have a master list of the tot...

Add row after column of duplicate info
I want to know if there is a way to have Excel automatically insert a blank row after a column if the number in the column changes. Example: Column B 110011 110011 110011 110345 110347 110347 Would like for it to automatically insert as below: 110011 110011 110011 Insert blank row here 110345 Insert blank row here 110347 110347 Insert blank row here Can anyone help with this? It would be greatly appreciated :) Debe Data|subtotals can add a line with subtotals between cells with common values. You can use the outline symbols to show just the subtotal line, select those visible rows ...

Can you make a series 2 bar the same in the chart?
My manager has a spreadsheet that he wants to make into a bar or column chart. I have done all of that and set it up. My problem is he wants the second bar to be the same all the way across for each month. How do I make each bar the same all the way across for each month? Do I have make a separate column for the figure that I need to pull from the spreadsheet in order for it to be the same for all the bars? I hope I am asking this correctly Yes, you should add another column of data and include that in the plot. Though I am not sure of the visual effect of adding a 2nd bar that is...

How do I add columns to a JE posting report?
On the General Posting Journal Printed Report (print JE's), how do I add a column on the printed report to show the Distribution Reference (next to the account description)? Example: Journal Transaction Transaction Audit Trail Entry Type Reference Code 2,083 Standard Adj Aug Interest GLTRX0000318 Account Description **DISTRIBUTION REFERENCE** Debit Credit 000-1000-000 Interest Exp Book interest to actual xx xx ...

Help, I can't resize chart legends on my axes or titles
I only have this problem on this machine. Things work fine on all others Running Office 2003 (SP2) on XP Pro (SP2) on an Inspiron 9300. When I enter text into chart legends, it gets clipped and when I click on the frame, Excel won't let me drag the frame wider. What could be causing this? If I copy the file to another computer and reopen, it's fine, everything works, but if I copy it back the problem immediately returns. I've run the update for Excel, I've updated my video drivers, nothing works. My apologies for taking up anyone's time. This problem has apparent...

Importing column in comma saparated values.
Hi, This is my first post here..:) I have some values in a column in excel and I want to have them i comma saparated values. The Outout can be in any type of file as lon as I can copy it..I am sure, the experts here can solve this and hel me a great deal...Please help... Thanks in advance. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could File/Save As then select .CSV ??? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If it's just one column (out of many used columns), then I'd just copy and paste into NotePad and save from there. But I'm not quite sure how y...

Gantt Charts
I have created a Gnatt chart in Excel 2007. I want to somehow insert a comment over/linked to the data points (start/end period) on the chart so when the cursor moves over the intended nformation will appear. Does anyone know if this is possible or not? Did you not like Jon Peltier's response to your identical question from yesterday? Click here if you didn't see it: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_frm/threa= d/fa063b5f36d432e5/764ab2f5798a307d?lnk=3Dst&q=3D#764ab2f5798a307d Hope this helps. Pete On Jun 25, 1:18=A0pm, sbearman <sbear.....