Gantt Chart and Critical Path

I have a spreadsheet where I enter time line data in the
cells and from that information generate a Gantt chart.
What I would like is a way to have symbols on my chart to
show milestones, and end points. Anybody have any ideas as
to how I could add those symbols on a chart? Thanks.
0
krchesse (1)

Royce -

That's a page I haven't added to my web site yet.

Your gantt chart is a stacked (or floating) bar chart. To add symbols,
you need to add additional series, using time as your X values, and a
normalized Y value corresponding to the bar that needs the marker. Use 1
for your topmost bar, and N for the lowest bar, where N is the number of
bars. This is easiest from a human user point of view. To add the
series, copy the X and Y ranges in the worksheet, select the chart, and
choose Paste Special from the Edit menu. Select the New Series,
Categories in First Row options. Big deal, you say, that's another set
of bars. Right click on this new set of bars, select Chart Type, and
pick out an XY Scatter type, markers without lines. You get secondary
axes on the chart now.

Double click on the top axis, click on the Scale tab, and check the Axis
Crosses at Maximum box. This makes the secondary vertical axis visible,
so you can adjust it. Right click on the chart, choose Chart Options,
Axes tab, and uncheck the secondary X axis; Excel will use the existing
horizontal axis. Now double click the secondary Y axis. Set the min to
0.5, the max to N + 0.5, and check the Values in Reverse Order box, so
0.5 is at the top and N + 0.5 at the bottom.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Royce wrote:

> I have a spreadsheet where I enter time line data in the
> cells and from that information generate a Gantt chart.
> What I would like is a way to have symbols on my chart to
> show milestones, and end points. Anybody have any ideas as
> to how I could add those symbols on a chart? Thanks.

0
DOjonNOT (619)

Chart Wizard
Hello all. I'm trying to create a simple chart for a class I'm in. I want the Y axis to be the Price, and the X axis to represent the quantities (QD, QS). But I am having no luck getting Excel to realize that, probably since Price is the dependent variable. So whenever I try to create the chart, I have the Quantities showing up as the Y axis. And it is driving me up the wall. Any advice? Here's the table data below: Price QD QS $6.00 5,000 55,000 $5.00 15,000 40,000 $4.00 25,000 25,000 $3.00 35,000 10,000 $2.00 45,000 -5,000 $1.0...

Q:Troubleshooting Flow Charts
I'm looking for a tool to build "living" Troubleshooting Flow Charts (Bubble Charts). I have Visio Pro 2002. What I'm looking for is a tool that will allow be to build a flow chart that presents a question, situation, or instruction and has either a "Yes/No" or an "A/ B/C" choice of answers that someone can follow to a solution. For example: The car will not start. A. Do you have the corect key? B. Is the battery dead? C. Is the gas tank empty? =========================== A. Get the correct key. B. Replace battery. C. Add gas to tank. Howeve...

Print embedded charts from several sheets
I have 40 plus sheet with data and embedded charts. How do I quickly select just the charts to print at the same time? I tried selecting all sheets and then clicking on the charts but this did not work. Any ideas? Steve This requires a macro or more patience than you or I have, because the charts have to be printed sequentially. Something like this: Sub PrintAllCharts() Dim ch As Chart Dim sh As Object Dim co As ChartObject ' get all chart sheets For Each ch In ActiveWorkbook.Charts ch.PrintOut Next ' get all charts (chart objects) in all sheets (worksheets ...

Adding a Name Box in a Chart or Footer
I have created a name box in Excel named CurrMonth and I want to add this to a chart or footer. Any ideas? You mean a text box? Select and copy it, select the chart, and paste. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Carmax wrote: > I have created a name box in Excel named CurrMonth and I want to add this to > a chart or footer. Any ideas? Thanks Jon but its not a text box. I created a NAME BOX which is like a field in Excel. Many of my formulas in the worksheet are based on thi...

x-y charting and regions
I would like to utilise Excel charting and VBA to return some value relating to a region on the graph. The XY chart is log-log divided into 11 regions. Each region has unique name. The points that are displayed on the chart will lie within a region o the chart. I would like a cell to return the name of the region/area that the X- point lies in. Is this possibl ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Are the regions as simply defined as Hi-Med-Low Y by Hi-Med-L...

Can I split data series in an excel chart?
I am trying to create a comparative bar chart with year-on-year quarterly sales figures for three different branches of a company. There are three divisional figures and a subsequent total for each quarter of each of the three years. The separate series need to be the years but each quarter total needs to be visually split by the three divisions (sales quarters along the x-axis, £ along the y-axis, 3 separate bars for each quarter each representing a year and each split into 3 sections by division) I can't work out how to do it or even if it is possible to split the series in ...

I need help charting
I am new to charting. I need to chart 5 different companies with a cost bid and a cost hit by company. Can you explain how. Very confused. Thanks. Hi, Don't know what a cost hit is? Maybe you can show us some sample data and tell us what kind of chart you need - pie, line, column....? -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "mgm" wrote: > I am new to charting. I need to chart 5 different companies with a cost bid > and a cost hit by company. Can you explain how. Very confused. > > Thanks. > Hi, Thanks for your response. For example 5 companies, hit and...

Org Charts
I have 5 people that report to the same person and currently they all show on the same row, the owner of the company wants the 3 VPs to show directly underneath him but the remaining two to have their line drop down lower than the 3 VP's. IS there a way to do this? Everytime I try it just makes the box bigger for all of them. Hi, Are you doing this in Excel? Which version? Which tool the Diagram tool or the AutoShapes tools? -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "rgoldberg" wrote: > I have 5 people that report to the same person and currently they all show on > the sam...

putting 2 charts on 1 sheet.
In Excel 2003, it is possible to copy a chart from 1 worksheet and paste on a worksheet that already has a chart? It doesn't seem to want to work right for me. One pastes over the other one. I'm thinking because the sheets that the charts are on originally were created for each chart. I was able to add a worksheet and copy/paste each one onto it just fine so I have what I needed. Was I just trying to do something that couldn't be done the way I was trying? Thanks for any input. Use worksheets instead of chart sheets. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@au...

microsoft office chart documentation / API
Hello, I'm trying to incorporate this microsoft office chart 10.0 activex control into my MFC dialog application. I can see the control on the dialog, and that is fantastic. I cannot populate it with any data programatically though - and I cannot find ANY documentation for how to use this activex wrapper. All I'd like to do is create a bar chart with 4 data points from an array, to start. Does anyone have any examples, or just where I could find documentation on this? There are a lot of articles out there that are somewhat similar using vb or other versions of the chart control, but...

printing multiple charts per page
Hello: I have a worksheet that has approximately 60 charts. Each product's #s are illustrated in 3 charts, ie- I have 20 groups of 3 charts. Or, 20 products that have 3 charts. What I'm trying to do is have a simple way to print all of these charts. I'd like each product's charts (3) to be on one page. My problem is I set up a macro that selects the area around the charts and then prints, but if I insert rows/columns in my worksheet the macro print areas do not update and messes up the print out. Is there a way to select the 3 charts for each product and name those somethin...

Copy Pivot Chart
Does anyone know how to copy a pivot chart and paste only its values? You can copy/paste special/value as you would any other cell values. However, you need to navigate from "edit" on the tool bar. These options are not available for a pivot table via the right click. "TK" wrote: > Does anyone know how to copy a pivot chart and paste only its values? ...

How do I add a data series in a combination chart in PPT 2003?
I have a combination bar/line chart showing gross revenues and passengers by month over a 3-year period. The gross revenues are bars on the primary y-axis and passengers are lines on the secondary y-axis. I am trying to add gross revenues and passengers for CY2010. I am able to add a data series for the passengers, but when I try to add a data series for the gross revenues, the chart treats it as a series on the secondary axis as a line. How do I add the series as a bar on the primary axis, or alternatively, change the series from a line on the secondary axis to a bar on th...

If cell B1 = "Day1" , show chart
Is there is a function that I could use , where if a cell is equal to Day1, it would show me an already created chart and if B1 is not "Day1" hide that chart? Any help is appreciated! rachitm@gmail.com a �crit : > Is there is a function that I could use , where if a cell is equal to > Day1, it would show me an already created chart and if B1 is not "Day1" > hide that chart? > > Any help is appreciated! > Hi, See an example here : http://cjoint.com/?bvueIiDuCy -- Fran�ois L You can do this with named ranges and a linked picture. There's a ...

Pie Chart showing 0
Hey all, I have a pie chart that is showing a "0" for no reason. Even whe there is data being referenced the chart will show the correc percentage and label for all data but the "0;0%" still shows on th chart. I've checked all my source data multiple times and can not fin an error. Please help! -- Keyrookie You first might want to check . . . make sure that the total equals exactly 100% (including rounding). If it does not, Excel will force the pie chart percentages to equal exactly 100%. The forcing of the percentages could cause the zero value to appear. ...

Control Charts: "Floating Maximum"
-- Burnnie Holliday Data Wrangler ...

Problem printing a scatter chart with more than 2706 rows of data
I have encountered a problem with Excel 2007 recently. A scatter chart, with smooth lines, based on 2706 rows of data will print correctly, but if I expand the data to include 2707 rows of data, the printout lacks the plot of the series data. the gridlines are there, axes, even the legend showing the color for the series data, but plot of the data is missing. I have a program which plots data for 3 columns with 4096 rows. The printout works just fine using Excel 97, but not for Excel 2007. Can anyone give me a clue about what is happening here? -- Terry G. Capps Excel 2007 chokes ...

merged cells and creating charts
I have tried to create a chart with data that is in merged cells where I have put in a formula to calculate the average of 4 cells in the row above. When I create the chart, it recognizes all 4 of the merged cells. So the graph has 4 spaces for the data for each number I am trying to plot. I just got 2007 version and do not recall this problem at all in 2003 version Merged cells are to be avoided at all costs. They can be used for column heading but for little else. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Troubled...

Charting data from many files
I have a weekly summary archive that I do of our cash flows. I would like to make a chart that shows the change in different account balances over the last year. Every single file is done in the exact same format -- same pages, same columns, etc. Is there a way to get this information together without having to go into every single file? ...

how do I create a transparent chart in Excel?
I have 2 graphs in excel (different data on different axis types) and want to put one over the other to find a good fit in the data. EXCEL 2007 I have just put up a file for you at:- http://www.pierrefondes.com/ It is item number 73 towards the top of my home page. You can see the chart on the Chart Worksheet. There are detailed, step by step instructions, on how to set it up on the Method Worksheet. Please hit Yes if my comments have helped. Thanks. "Env Eng Student" wrote: > I have 2 graphs in excel (different data on different axis types...

Chart disappears in Excel 2000 after scale is changed
When the scale of the chart is changed, the chart disappears. The chart and its data are on the same worksheet. ...

formatting or moving a radar chart's axis labels
I am attempting to change the orientation of a radar chart's axis labels. Its orientation seems locked in place immediately to the left of the 360=B0 gridline. I would like the ability to display the axis labels directly over the range rings and along other gridlines, such as 180=B0 or 270=B0. With other charts, the formatting option allows one to select "high", "low", or "next to axis" to change the position of the axis. This maneuver seems to have no affect whatsoever on a radar chart. As a final resort, I suppose I could turn the axis labels off...

Problem with Excel 2007 clustered column chart on log scale
I have a clustered column chart on Excel 2007 to compare a few data, on linear y-axis everything looked ok, the height of the columns were easily compared. I changed the axis to log scale and now the 'base' of the columns start at value '1' (which is '0' on the log scale). Now all the <1 columns point down and those with >1 points up. I don't remember Excel 2003 doing this, and I'd like all the columns to start from the bottom (i.e. all the columns to be pointing up). Is there a solution for this? p.s. strange enough, the stacked columns looked ok o...

which chart/smart art to use to show this data in power point 2007
Data: CHC is referral unit for 4 PHC's.PHC is a referral unit for 6 sub centres.There is one sub-cenre for every four villages... There are total of 175 CHC's and 1500 PHC's . Sounds like an org chart to me. But that's a lot of info to try to put onto an org chart on one slide. You could span it over slides if it's important for the audience to really see all that info. Somehow I don't think it is, though. You need to decide what the point you're trying to make is. Maybe it would be better to show dots on a map and just say that one CHC refers to ...

Display Hidden Columns in Charts
In Excel 2003 is it possible to display hidden columns (or rows) in a chart. When I hide columns for my charts the default is to remove the hidden data from the chart. Tools menu > Options > Chart, uncheck Plot Visible Cells Only. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EC404913-010E-4172-A30F-7C597981B2E1@microsoft.com... > In Excel 2003 is it possible to display hidden columns (or rows) in a >...