Frogs in the pond - Display percentages not numbers

Hi,
I have this little charting problem. I'm sure someone will have the
solution.
It's difficcult to explain so I 've posted a picture here
www.fransysco.net/frogs/frogs.gif
You may have to zoom on your browser to see it perfectly.

I have some data in a table and it's figures about frogs in a a pond and
about how many arrive in each batch per quarter and how long they survive.
The length of survival is measured in Quarters, too.

So each quarter there's a batch of new frogs that arrive - usually 2000 in a
a batch. And I measure the survival rate of each batch.
Now, if I always had 2000 in a batch this would be easy peasy, but it's not
always the case.

Once the delivery truck was struck by lightning and the half the frogs died.
That was in 2004/Q2, so I started out with a batch of 1000 frogs.

Another time, we ran out of mosquitoes in the breeding tank and lost three
quarters of the batch.
That was in 2005/Q1 so we started out with a batch of only 500.

You can see the data and the graph here in this picture.
www.fransysco.net/frogs/frogs.gif
And if you look at the numbers graph, you can see that 2004/Q2 and 2005/Q1
don't start off in the same place as the others. The fact that there were
less frogs in the batch is obvious. But that's not what I need to know. I
need to know the survival rate in percentages regardless of the numbers.

What I want to do is get the y axis expressed as a percentage of the maximum
number of frogs in the batch. That way, every batch would start off as 100%
(of itself!) and my lines would be comparable no matter how many frogs I
started out with.

Now, I can do this by putting an intermediary table in between my data table
and my graph.
On the intermediary table I calculate the percentages and base the graph on
the that table.
That would be OK if my data table had fixed diemensions but in fact it is a
Pivot Table and Pivot Tables have a tendancy to change shape. So my
intermediary table would have trouble in adapting to the Pivot Table.

That's why I need the graph to read the numbers table but display the data
as percentages.
Can it be done?

Any help appreciated and Thanks in advance.

A.K. Fletcher

0
Oliver

There is probably a better way, but could you insert a row in the right
place and calculate the figures as a percentage of the top value?

e.g =F1/$F$1

"Oliver J." <o@T.neT> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have this little charting problem. I'm sure someone will have the
> solution.
> It's difficcult to explain so I 've posted a picture here
> www.fransysco.net/frogs/frogs.gif
> You may have to zoom on your browser to see it perfectly.
>
> I have some data in a table and it's figures about frogs in a a pond and
> about how many arrive in each batch per quarter and how long they survive.
> The length of survival is measured in Quarters, too.
>
> So each quarter there's a batch of new frogs that arrive - usually 2000 in
> a batch. And I measure the survival rate of each batch.
> Now, if I always had 2000 in a batch this would be easy peasy, but it's
> not
> always the case.
>
> Once the delivery truck was struck by lightning and the half the frogs
> died.
> That was in 2004/Q2, so I started out with a batch of 1000 frogs.
>
> Another time, we ran out of mosquitoes in the breeding tank and lost three
> quarters of the batch.
> That was in 2005/Q1 so we started out with a batch of only 500.
>
> You can see the data and the graph here in this picture.
> www.fransysco.net/frogs/frogs.gif
> And if you look at the numbers graph, you can see that 2004/Q2 and 2005/Q1
> don't start off in the same place as the others. The fact that there were
> less frogs in the batch is obvious. But that's not what I need to know. I
> need to know the survival rate in percentages regardless of the numbers.
>
> What I want to do is get the y axis expressed as a percentage of the
> maximum
> number of frogs in the batch. That way, every batch would start off as
> 100%
> (of itself!) and my lines would be comparable no matter how many frogs I
> started out with.
>
> Now, I can do this by putting an intermediary table in between my data
> table
> and my graph.
> On the intermediary table I calculate the percentages and base the graph
> on
> the that table.
> That would be OK if my data table had fixed diemensions but in fact it is
> Pivot Table and Pivot Tables have a tendancy to change shape. So my
> intermediary table would have trouble in adapting to the Pivot Table.
>
> That's why I need the graph to read the numbers table but display the data
> as percentages.
> Can it be done?
>
> Any help appreciated and Thanks in advance.
>
> A.K. Fletcher

0
nospam6568 (71)
10/5/2006 10:58:34 AM
Hi,

I think you can do this in your pivot table.
So if this description matches your picture,

Row field is 'Live Quarters'
Column field is 'Entry Date'
Data field is 'Count of Frogs'

You can change the setting of 'Count of Frogs' field.
Right click and pick Field Settings.
Click the Options >> to expand dialog.
Show Data as: % Of
Base Field: 'Live Quarters'
Base Item: 1

This should then turn the values for Live Quarters 1 to 100% for all
dates. Then subsequent live quarters will be based on live quarter 1.
So 1940 will be 97% of 2000.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

I think it's my Batch arrival Quarters on the left that is causing the
problem.
In my (simplified) example you see them as quarters whereas in reality this
is a grouped field based on the arrival date of each unique frog.
It's the fact that each frog belongs to a particular Quarter that allows the
Quarter to be deduced and grouped.

I'll have to sort that out in my External data, "upstream" ...
Or try it out on a smaller sample of fake data.
Then I'll let you know.
Thanks.

O.J. & A.K.F.

"Andy Pope" <andy@andypope.info> a �crit dans le message de news:
Oexeq$G6GHA.4468@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> 100%
>> (of itself!) and my lines would be comparable no matter how many frogs I
>> started out with.
>>
>> Now, I can do this by putting an intermediary table in between my data
>> table
>> and my graph.
>> On the intermediary table I calculate the percentages and base the graph
>> on
>> the that table.
>> That would be OK if my data table had fixed diemensions but in fact it is
>> Pivot Table and Pivot Tables have a tendancy to change shape. So my
>> intermediary table would have trouble in adapting to the Pivot Table.
>>
>> That's why I need the graph to read the numbers table but display the
>> data
>> as percentages.
>> Can it be done?
>>
>> Any help appreciated and Thanks in advance.

0
Oliver
10/5/2006 12:24:53 PM
Thanks Andy, I learned something too.

"Andy Pope" <andy@andypope.info> wrote in message
> [...]
>> 100%
>> (of itself!) and my lines would be comparable no matter how many frogs I
>> started out with.
>>
>> Now, I can do this by putting an intermediary table in between my data
>> table
>> and my graph.
>> On the intermediary table I calculate the percentages and base the graph
>> on
>> the that table.
>> That would be OK if my data table had fixed diemensions but in fact it is
>> Pivot Table and Pivot Tables have a tendancy to change shape. So my
>> intermediary table would have trouble in adapting to the Pivot Table.
>>
>> That's why I need the graph to read the numbers table but display the
>> data
>> as percentages.
>> Can it be done?
>>
>> Any help appreciated and Thanks in advance.

0
nospam6568 (71)
10/5/2006 3:42:06 PM
Thanks Andy, Spot on !!

I had tried those "% of" options but chose the wrong values and didn't
understand the results. I had given it up as "too complicated for me". Do
you know of any place where those options are explained ? With some examples
?

Excel is so much faster when you can take advantage of it's built in
features. No programming, no messing around.

Well done.

O.J. & A.KF.

"Oliver J." <o@T.neT> a �crit dans le message de news:
4524f995$0$5073$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr...
> [...]
>>> (of itself!) and my lines would be comparable no matter how many frogs I
>>> started out with.
>>>
>>> Now, I can do this by putting an intermediary table in between my data
>>> table
>>> and my graph.
>>> On the intermediary table I calculate the percentages and base the graph
>>> on
>>> the that table.
>>> That would be OK if my data table had fixed diemensions but in fact it
>>> is a
>>> Pivot Table and Pivot Tables have a tendancy to change shape. So my
>>> intermediary table would have trouble in adapting to the Pivot Table.
>>>
>>> That's why I need the graph to read the numbers table but display the
>>> data
>>> as percentages.
>>> Can it be done?
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated and Thanks in advance.

0
Oliver
10/6/2006 2:06:10 PM
Hi,

Here is a good place to start with info on PT, although I'm not sure
whether what you want is there.

Also some info here.
http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/ExcelMain.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
0
andy9699 (3616)

Sequential number
Is there a way to squentially number a column so that if you insert or delete rows in the middle the numbers will readjust? if you use A1+1 and copy it down, you get a #REF if you delete; and a blank cell if you don't (and then you have to use the fill handle from above the blank cell to resequence? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Suzan Enter the formula =ROW() in the first cell and copy it down. (You might like to add or subtract a constant depending on how you want the cells numbered). When you delete a row this will automatically re-number. If you insert a row, thoug...

How do I make numbers become text?
I am trying to create a spreadsheet where numbers entered in one location become text in another. I tried the Help option, but I am still lost. Please help, and thank you. From earlier postings: How to Convert a Numeric Value into English Words http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN- US;140704& and: (courtesy of a cut and paste from a Tom Ogilvy post): If you want an addin that provides a worksheet function that does this, download Laurent Longre's free morefunc.xll addin found here: http://longre.free.fr/english/ It is downloaded in a zip file which also conta...

Excel
Is there a way to change an imported number such as: 7042626598 and display it as a phone number like: (704) 262-6598 ? Thank you, Be -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Ben, Yes you can format the cells containing the 10 digit number to a phone number. Highlight all the required cell and on the Main menu choose Format/Cells/Number/Special/Phone Number Charlie O'Neill >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to change an imported number such as: > >7042626598 and display it as a phone number like: > >(704) 262-6598 > >? > > >...

My pictures are compressed somehow and they don't display on my s.
My pictures do not show up on my screen but they do print and I can see them on my print preview and I must have a wrong setting somewhere. Can anyone help me, I can't work with them when I can't see them and I have a job to complete. I have never run into this before View, pictures, detailed display... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Marian" <Marian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6A63F349-C593-435E-99A1-518BE2FB9CD4@microsoft.com... > My pictures do not show up on m...

Item level revision numbers on POs
The Item Engineering info on inventory items in manufacturing includes revision numbers for items, however because that info is in the manufacturing dictionary we can't include through report writer on POs. I'd like to develop a routine that would copy the revision number from the item engineering table to one of the user-defined tables in inventory. Any suggestions on how to do that? Or an alternate approach to the problem? -- Jim@TurboChef Jim- This script will put the current Rev level from Item Engineering into User Category 1 on the item master. update iv00101 set usca...

How to display mfc control in new look style?
Hi, anybody knows how to show mfc controls like button or other controls in new look style? Please see below link to know about what i mean by new look style is. http://www.geocities.com/henky_arektc97/question/ I want to make my controls in dialog shown as Picture 2, not as Picture 1 (look at the button). Are there lack of some defines or codes or something else, because when I create new project again, the dialog will be displayed as I want in Picture 2. I use MFC 9 (vs2008). Thank you for any help! "Saitama" <Saitama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Conver Numbers to Log 10
How do I convert column of numbers (n=3000) to log 10 column of numbers? Assuming that your column is column A, one way: In an unused column, enter =LOG(A1) and copy down 3000 cells. Copy the column, choose column A and choose Edit/Paste Special, selecting the Values radio button. In article <0CDE6301-FC9C-488C-9D9F-3AD26B46EFCE@microsoft.com>, "Fishfan" <Fishfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I convert column of numbers (n=3000) to log 10 column of numbers? ...

error numbers
Does anyone know if microsoft has a way to look up errors and their resolution by ERROR NUMBER? I have never found anything like that. Now they have something called "Events and Errors Message Center" but even that doesn't appear to let one look up errors by error number! Thanks Hi, Fredrated schrieb: > Does anyone know if microsoft has a way to look up errors and their > resolution by ERROR NUMBER? > > I have never found anything like that. Now they have something called > "Events and Errors Message Center" but even that doesn't appear to...

Stem-and-leaf display\Excel 2000
Create a stem-and-leaf display using Excel 2000, using either character or numeric data. Any help or information is appreciated. Thank you. This Google search yields 46,500 results http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&as_qdr=all&q=excel+chart+stem+leaf&btnG=Search -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "fjm" <fjm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:336E0EC1-A433-4112-A268-A30BFA44CFC6@microsoft.com... > Create a stem-and-leaf display using Excel 2000, using either character or > numeric data. Any...

Customer (Pole) Display
Hi, I'm having a problem where Pole Display's on one customer site are dying one by one. At first it starts flickering, then within a few days it dies completely. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? Thanks. This may be an OPOS driver mismatch or wrong Baud Rate issue. Which PD model and OPOS driver are you using? Try to change the baud rate to others value first. "trcboy" <trcboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A30ECE7B-0AF4-4497-873D-D9900D5F6B4F@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I'm having a problem where Pole Display's ...

What is the maximum number of users that can share Excel File?
According to the Excel Help file, all users on your network, unless you restrict the number. "pfine" wrote: > ...

Displaying images as a result of an 'if' statement
Is it possible to write an if statement to display a picture if a cel contains a certain value? Ive got if statements nailed, its not problem with that i have, just the returning of an image, rather tha text ar a hyperlink. Eg, "if cell A1="stadium", to show a picture of a stadium in cell C1" Thanks in advance for any hel -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi not possible with formulas -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Is it possible to write an if statement to display a picture if a cell > contains a certain value? Ive got if statemen...

Can I display the current date in a text box?
I know how to display the current date in a cell, but can I display it in a text box? And how would I do that? You would have to have some code to load it, such as Textbox1.Text = Format(Date,"dd mmm yyyy") or link the texbox to a cell with the formula =TODAY() -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "stephiebrady" <stephiebrady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C78C4C78-C12C-4A8F-9121-E377ACAE3B5B@microsoft.com... > I know how to display the current date in a cell, but can I display it in a > text box? And ...

lookup row number
Hi, can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list. EG say I have a list of names as below: Andrew Mike Steve Ian Paul I would normally just add a column with the row numbers and then lookup the row number in the second column but is it possible to do without adding the extra column by using the row formula someohow? Thanks Hi Michael Try the below.. =MATCH("Mike",A:A,0) -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Michael" wrote: > Hi, > can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list. > > EG say I hav...

Maximum number of bits
I have a requirement to find the maximum number of consecutive zeros in a row in a 32 bit binary number. For example 1111 1111 1111 1000 1111 1111 0000 1111 = 4 1111 1110 1111 1110 1111 1111 1110 1111 = 1 I am actually storing the number in a BIGINT for simplicity. I can do this in a udf with a look fairly easily but was wondering if there is something more sql that will do the job. Cheers, Michael That's an interesting question. Does it include leading zeroes? 0000 0000 0111 1000 1111 1111 0000 1111 = 9? -- Thanks Michael Coles SQL Server MVP ...

can one cell contain more than one independent number
A cell can contain several numbers, separated by space characters or line breaks (Alt+Enter). However, if you want to perform calculations on the numbers, it's best to keep them in separate cells. John K wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html there's also the option a using matrix formula (list of data) for example you may enter ={1;2;3} in a single cell or selection 'and validate wih CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER but the manipulation of this kinda of formula need to read more about it... ...

I'm trying to display the next month in a text field
Hi there, I've gone through all the forms and can't seem to get the code straight for displaying the next month on a text field on my form. I just want the entire month name and nothing else and I have been struggling with: DateSerial(Year(Date()), Month(Date()) + 1, 1) but its showing the day and year too and thats not what I need. Thanks in advance! GM gmazza wrote: >Hi there, >I've gone through all the forms and can't seem to get the code straight for >displaying the next month on a text field on my form. >I just want the entire month name and nothing else...

finding common numbers in large lists
Hello, I have two large lists of numbers (on two seperate worksheets). By large, I mean that one list is 1000+ numbers, and the second list is 3000+ numbers (each number is in its own cell). The numbers are of the form: xxxx.xxx (that is, they are precise up to three places after the decimal) 1) Is there some quick way that I can find the numbers that are common to both lists? 2) Is there a way I can find the numbers in common to both lists using only the whole number portion (diregarding what comes after the decimal of each number)? Thanks! Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...

Display Screen 1/2 Grid; 1/2 VBE (or at least Code Window)
Is there a way (button, command, etc) to be able to view (quickly, and side by side) a my worksheet (only 1 workbook is open say) and my code window? If you just want to look at macros do a cltr+' (key to left of 1). John North Yorkshire UK "Jim May" <jmay@cox.net> wrote in message news:Fqb7d.10064$0j.2648@lakeread07... > Is there a way (button, command, etc) to be able to view (quickly, and > side > by side) > a my worksheet (only 1 workbook is open say) and my code window? > > Jim With Excel workbook open to the sheet of your choice and VBE o...

Outlook Web Access
I cannot open e-mails forwarded to me from several AOL users. OWA shows "The page cannot be displayed" message. I can open all other e-mails. Looking at the details of the message I find these content types: multipart/mixed, text/plain, message/rfc822, multipart/alternative, text/html, application/msword. text/html is the only one represented in the registry and is in Level2MIMETypes registry entry. Any help on what may be blocking these e- mails is greatly appreciated. ...

Access 2007-Table not displaying the values from a combo box
I have built a database to schedule senior/disabled transportation appointments. I have created two tables and associated forms for data entry. I placed a combo box in the Schedule form so end users choose a client and fields complete on the form with client name, address, city, and home phone number. I did instruct Access to store the data in the SeniorIntakeID field in the Schedule table. I wrote a report that staff execute to see what is scheduled for a given date, for each driver. On the report I want to see the actual client's name, address, city, and home phone n...

creating a multilevel numbering sysem
I'm trying to create a multileve numbering system ex: 100, 100.1, 100.1.1, 100.2, 200, 200.1, 2001.1, 200.2, and so on. I would like to have at least 3-4 tiers under each number that would automatically number. And you want this in Publisher? I don't think so... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "v" <v@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C1F59342-9F2F-4E91-BE27-0BA992EB17BE@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to create a multileve numbering system > ex: 100, 100.1, 100.1.1, ...

extracting numbers from a text field and applying formula
here's my question... i have a cell that has a text field of this type: '9-19' (a-b) I want to create a formula that will subtract 19-9 (b-a) and return the result as a number// can anyone help?! is this even doable? I'd really appreciate it! PS also, i'm very fairly new at excel so a detailed response with th formula would really help! ALe ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try: =MID(A1,FIND("-",A1)+1,99)-LEFT(A1,FIND("...

Imported Numbers not recognized as numbers
Hi there -- I've seen this problem posted a lot before, however haven't yet seen a solution posted that works for my situation. This applies to Office XP... So I copy a column of data (numbers) from a website and paste it int Excel, but the numbers are not recognized as numeric values (can't su them, etc.) I have tried all of the "easy" solutions -- changing their format t general or number, copying a 1 from another cell in a clean workboo and using the paste special/multiply (or a 0 and paste special/add function...I've tried the text to columns thing -- basicall...

Public Folder Permissions Not Displaying Correctly in Outlook
This is a weird one. I'm using Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 in cached exchange mode. About 6 months ago I migrated from 5.5 to 2003. New server, new install and then moved the mailboxes and folders over. All worked well, no problems. Recently, I have been upgrading my clients to Office 2003 and received a few reports that users were not able to create or edit information in the Public Folders even though they had the proper permissions. I usually just re-applied the permissions and moved on. However, I have run into a problem where the permissions in the Exchange System Manager (ESM) sh...