Frequency charts with non-numeric data

If I have a column of non-numeric data (for example 500 different fields,
each field stating the color of a car ie green, green,green, red,red, silver
etc) how do I draw a graph showing the frequency of each colour type? For
example green 200, red 100, white 100, silver 100 (preferably with the % for
each). The countif function will work combined with the graph wizard, but his
becomes very labourius for many categories (or colours).
For those familiar with statistics, this is a pareto. There is a pareto
function in the Data Analysis Add ins but it does not appear to work with
non-numeric data.
All suggestions gratefully received
--
rakbhat
0

Sounds like a good exercise for pivot table
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"rakbhat" <rakbhat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I have a column of non-numeric data (for example 500 different fields,
> each field stating the color of a car ie green, green,green, red,red,
> silver
> etc) how do I draw a graph showing the frequency of each colour type? For
> example green 200, red 100, white 100, silver 100 (preferably with the %
> for
> each). The countif function will work combined with the graph wizard, but
> his
> becomes very labourius for many categories (or colours).
> For those familiar with statistics, this is a pareto. There is a pareto
> function in the Data Analysis Add ins but it does not appear to work with
> non-numeric data.
> All suggestions gratefully received
> --
> rakbhat

0
bliengme5824 (3040)

Date prompt appearing twice due to chart in report
Hi All, I am creating a report based on a query. I have a prompt to ask for the Beginning Date and the Ending Date. When I run the query I get the correct results. I also get the correct results when I run the report. However, I have just added a pie chart in my report footer, and because of this, I am always forced to enter the beginning and ending dates twice when running the report. What do I need to do to make the prompt only appear 1 time for each date? Thank you! decklun The prompt appears each time Access needs to run the query. Once for the report and a second time for ...

Using Excell to input data into Access
Is it posible to use an excel spreadsheet to enter data into access? The actual reason for using excel to enter the fields in access is that over 100 of our users are familiar with excel, but do not know anything about databases. They actually call excel a database about 1/2 of the time. We work in a contract research facility that does lots of different projects in several scientific disciplines of varying complexity. I started using databases to store my research data in back in the 80's with db3. We did not even have an IT department until about 2 years ago. I have been trying to drag ...

How to put multiple data format on clipboard?
I need to put both my custom format and CF_TEXT format This is the code to copy custom format to clipboard, COleDataSource *pSource = new COleDataSource() UINT nCount = textList.GetCount(); int nSize = sizeof(TelopTextFormat) * textList.GetCount() + sizeof(long); HGLOBAL hClipMem = ::GlobalAlloc(GMEM_SHARE, nSize); LPVOID lpClipMem = reinterpret_cast<LPVOID>(::GlobalLock(hClipMem)); memcpy(lpClipMem, reinterpret_cast<LPVOID>(&nCount), sizeof(UINT)); ::GlobalUnlock(hClipMem); pSource->CacheGlobalData(CF_TELOPTEXT, hClipMem); pSource->SetClipboard(); What should I do then...

How to change the spacing of data markers in a line/scatter chart
Is there a way to change the amount of data markers used in a line/scatter chart?? I have a lot of data, and it looks very messy... Thanks! ...

I cannot enter data in my Excel 2000 spreadsheet
Good afternoon dear members of the microsoft.public.excel.misc newsgroup. I need Your kindly help. I cannot enter data in my Excel 2000 document for one or other reason. I just clic on any of the spreasheet cells and type for word but it does not work. Any idea ? Many Thanks. Octavio Ovidio What else is going on? Are you using VBA code on the back side? Are there any Excel alert boxes open behind your main application window? Please provide more information. Alex >-----Original Message----- >Good afternoon dear members of the microsoft.public.excel.misc newsgroup. I >nee...

Pie Chart Data Labels Overlap
I am using Excel2000 and have a pie chart that is linked to an SQL source, and the data will change from month to month. When the data is refreshed, the labels automatically move around and overlap one another (even when using best fit). I show the 'label and percent' in each label. How can I do this so that the user doesn't have to physically move the labels every month? Alternatively, I would be satisifed with using the legend if I could have the percent figure included in the legend somehow. ...

Lines from chart are not joined
Hi, I have charts where my data are joined by lines, but there are a two points where the lines are not joined and then the data continue to be joined by lines. Is there a reason why the two poins are not joining? Is there a way to fix it? Thanks Miguel Tell us about your data best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Miguel" <Miguel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:732494AB-DBE7-4957-9C6B-0DE9A3260299@microsoft.com... > Hi, > I have charts where my data are joined by lines, but t...

Data link properties / ODBC Excel driver login failed
When trying to perform a mail merge, after selecting my excel spreadsheet for names and addresses, I get a Data Link Properties window that opens. It has provider, connection, advanced, and all tabs. When I click OK I get ODBC Excel driver login failed. Could not find installable ISAM. Clicking OK does nothing clicking cancel tries to bring up the spreadsheet. This only happens on this workstation. All workstations are XP with Office XP with latest service packs. hi. ISAM (Indexed Sequential Access Method) is a file management system developed at IBM that allows records to be accessed...

Quicken Money Data Converter
Spent a little more time experimenting with the Quicken Data Converter. I selected most of my bank accounts. The total export entries are 7609 items. I unselected some of the accounts. The Money export files are good, including all the transactions with the accounts I selected. But the Quicken conversion/import has been very poor. Blame it on Quicken data converter. It does not import all the transactions. It is impossible to reconcile/balance the many accounts over the past many years. It is going to be month-long project :-( I'll stick with my plan. I may check it several months ...

Printing report with No data
I have a series of reports in an Access 2003 database. Currently I have them set that if there is no data for a particualr report period the report comes up with is headings and such but where the data is it says NONE. The problem comes when I nest the report into the "Weekly Report" Then instead of showing up as above it just simply does not show up. I assume it has something to do with it being a subreport inside the Weekly Report, but how do I fix it so it will show up with the NONE. Thanx! RHM -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.a...

How to duplicate a chart that relies on dynamic named ranges
Hello - I have created a dynamic chart that shows the most recent 12 months of data. So, for example, one of my series value sets is based on the defined range: =OFFSET('Dynamic Chart'!XValues,0,3). And "Xvalues" is a defined range that uses the Counta function to show the most recent 12 months of data. The chart works well. But the problem is that I don't know how to duplicate the chart into other worksheets. Is there a way to transfer the defined names AND the series from a chart so that I can duplicate such a chart in other worksheets and in new workbooks. When I...

Multiple Pivot Charts to display in one page
Working in MS Access 2007 I created a query and a pivot chart with the option to show the data in more than one chart, but when I choose the multiple chart option it tries to show all of the 30+ in one page which makes is impossible to read. Is there any way to show the charts in more than one page? I'd be very grateful for any help! ...

Data Forms
How do you create a data form from a worksheet and does the information entered into a data form appear in the worksheet? Once information has been entered into a data form will the form clear so that you can add, say for instance, another client? After inserting the last field in your data form, when you press <Tab>, focus moves to the New button. Press this and the new record gets added to the list, while the input fields are cleared. -- HTH Kassie Replace xxx with hotmail "MarkOffice2007" wrote: > How do you create a data form from a work...

starting a data series in the middle of a chart
Hi. I have a chart that shows values from January thru December. The values from January to May are actual, but the values from June to December are projected. what I need to do is show the actual vakue from Jan to May which is easy. the hard part is starting the projected value at June. When i entered the data, the value for projected shows in the chart at January even though the table value shows it starting in June. I cannot figure this out. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks On Jun 15, 3:25=A0pm, pat67 <pbus...@comcast.net> wrote: > Hi. I have a chart that shows values from J...

Business Days in Chart
I have a chart with days in the x-axis. My source data only has business days, but they show up on the chart with 0 data. How can I remove those days from the chart? Hi, Right click the chart and pick Chart Options. On the axis tab set the X axis to be Category rather than Automatic or time. Cheers Andy Terence wrote: > I have a chart with days in the x-axis. My source data only has business > days, but they show up on the chart with 0 data. How can I remove those days > from the chart? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

how to format the data in a dataset
I am re-writing a vb script that queries an SQL server and then uses the recordset to generate an xml file. The xml file has a row-set schema with row as the element and the columns as attributes: <z:row ID="1" CapConDerivedName="AV_TOUCH_SCREEN_SOUND_LEVEL_ENABLED" DataStructureType="bool" EnumType="None" Unit="none" SetValue="0" DSTID="2" /> I am using C# and dataSet.WriteXml(fileName, XmlWriteMode.WriteSchema); The problem I am having is that WriteXml structures the column data as elements instead of attrib...

Conditional formating in Charts
Does Excel allow you to use conditional formatting in charts? I have a bar chart that I am locking the y-axis at specific values. I would like to change the color of any bars that are graphing outside the locked y-axis. Thanks Jon Peltier has instructions for conditional charts: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/format.html#CondChart B wrote: > Does Excel allow you to use conditional formatting in charts? > I have a bar chart that I am locking the y-axis at specific values. I would > like to change the color of any bars that are graphing outside the locked > y-a...

Exchange 2003 Backup Restore of Public folder completes, but data isn't restored
Hi, I have an SBS2003 Server running SP1. I had a problem this morning where one of my users deleted a public folder. I had done a full normal backup onto an external hard drive the night before, so I didn't think this would be much of a big deal. This is how I did the restore: 1.. Dismounted the public folder store 2.. Selected the option, "this db can be overwritten by a restore" within the properties of the public folder store 3.. Fired up NTbackup, and selected to restore the Public Folder Store and Log files from Servername\Microsoft Information Store\F...

Mark Cells for input data
I want to know if there is a way to mark the cells that the user need t input data, color it but I don't want to print that cells with color -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi 1) Fill the cells you want to mark with the colour you want if you have not already done so. 2) Select "File>Page Setup" and then select the "Sheet" tab. 3) Place a check mark in the box "Black and White". This setting will print the entire sheet in black and white. -- XL2002 Regards William willwest22@yahoo.com "elliot315 >" <<elliot315.1...

Sort data by formatting
Is there any way to sort rows of data depending on their background color? Like I have around 1000 mixed up rows of 5 colors (e.g. yellow, red, green, violet, blue), and they are arranged in no specific order i.e first 2 yellow rows, then 1 red, 4 blue, then again 3 yellow, and 3 blue ...so on. I just want to arrange them in block of Colors like All Blue Rows, All Yellow Rows etc. Could it arrange using VBA or Excel? Hi check out http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm for some ideas Cheers JulieD "Murtaza" <NoEmail@NoEmail> wrote in message news:OVD5bWWKFHA.147...

Why do these symbols #### appear after correcting data in a cell?
After correcting or updating informartion entered into a cell, then going to next cell, all of these appear in the previous cell instead of the information entered & saved? Jim That usually happens when the column is not wide enough to hold the information in that cell. You will get this when the cell content is a number. Post back if you need more. HTH Otto "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:26D6FB89-3BEA-4117-86EB-4F23A0077532@microsoft.com... > After correcting or updating informartion entered into a cell, then going > to &g...

populating sheets based on data from parent sheets
Hello, I have learned much from the contributors here...many thanks. Challenge: To have one spreadsheet (master) trigger the populating of another spreadsheet (sheet2) when data is entered into a cell on the master sheet. Once certain data is entered into a cell on Sheet2, it would populate data onto sheet3. For example: When a date is entered into the "scheduled delivery date" field, on the master sheet. I would like for this to "trigger" chosen data to be entered into to the "delivery data sheet". Once a delivery has been confirmed (by entering a date int...

Chart and Data points
I am using Excel 2007. I keep stats for my son's football team. We would like to chart the distance that each play in the series goes. The football field starts on the "Zero" yard line and then goes to the 30 yard line(MID-FIELD), and then start back down towards the "Zero" yard line on the other end. We record the data in a spread sheet with columns for the yard line and then another for the distance. Example below, Yard Line Distance 25 yard line +5 yards 30 yard line -3 yards 27 yard line +4 yards 29 yard line ...

UPC data conversion
We receive Excel documents which contain information regarding the barcode number (item lookup codes) from our suppliers. Currently we import this information by copy and pasting the item lookup code into the relevant fields. Does anyone know of either a add-in or otherwise available to purchase that would allow for the data to be converted automatically. FYI: all the data involves Matrix creation with two (size and colour) you couldnt do better than talk to Davidson Richard, the data management utility does just what you want, and much more! saves us hours and hours of data inputt...

Combine varied data from separate workbooks into one chart
I want to combine varied data from separate workbooks into one chart. Data is collected at varied date intervals and level ranges (11/03-2/07) & (0-100). Data begins with 24k rows and is filtered to 1K. Individual charts display daily data labeled as varied mm/dd/yy on the ‘Category Axis’ and 0-40, 0-60 & 0-100 on the ‘Value Axis’. Adding additional ‘Series’ just gives one horizontal line. TIA Here are some guidelines: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://Pel...