Formatting Chart Category Labels

I'm creating a fairly complex chart - a spider graph "dashboard" report that
addresses 4 major areas of an organization's performance - finance, quality,
efficiency and customer satisfaction.  Each category has 4-7 data elements,
so that there are a total of 22 data elements on the chart.  There will be 2
sections of the report, a chart showing YTD, LYTD and Goal values for the
data elements and the graph itself.  I envision this as a relatively easy way
for management or board to get a snapshot of comparative key performance
indicators.  So far so good - input form, calculations, data chart and graph
are all created and working properly, now it's a matter of presentation.

Each major category is formatted to a different color on the data report -
Financial = green, Quality = Red, Efficiency = Blue and Customer Satisfaction
= Black.  I would like to carry this formatting over to the graph so that the
category labels are 4 different colors.  I can change the format of the
category labels, but I only see how to change them to one particular color,
and I'd like 4 different colors.

WEPCPA (1)

Re: spider charts (or radar charts). I find these less effective than
parallel coordinate charts:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ParallelCoord.html

Re: the colored labels. If you do in fact make a parallel coordinate chart,
you can use the techniques for making a custom-scaled axis, keep the ticks
and gridlines of the original axis, and replace the axis labels with data
labels from the helper series. These data labels can be independently
formatted.

Custom-scaled axes:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

If you keep the radar chart, you can still add a custom series with data
labels; you will just have to select coordinates that put the labels where
you need them.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"WEP CPA" <WEPCPA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm creating a fairly complex chart - a spider graph "dashboard" report
> that
> addresses 4 major areas of an organization's performance - finance,
> quality,
> efficiency and customer satisfaction.  Each category has 4-7 data
> elements,
> so that there are a total of 22 data elements on the chart.  There will be
> 2
> sections of the report, a chart showing YTD, LYTD and Goal values for the
> data elements and the graph itself.  I envision this as a relatively easy
> way
> for management or board to get a snapshot of comparative key performance
> indicators.  So far so good - input form, calculations, data chart and
> graph
> are all created and working properly, now it's a matter of presentation.
>
> Each major category is formatted to a different color on the data report -
> Financial = green, Quality = Red, Efficiency = Blue and Customer
> Satisfaction
> = Black.  I would like to carry this formatting over to the graph so that
> the
> category labels are 4 different colors.  I can change the format of the
> category labels, but I only see how to change them to one particular
> color,
> and I'd like 4 different colors.

jonxlmvpNO (4558)

Import an chart.
I'm creating a brochure in Publisher 2002 and I want to insert an chart that has been created in Excel. How do I do this?Plz suggest. You can copy the chart in Excel and paste it normally, however if the chart is complex you may find it better to paste as a picture. After you copy the chart in Excel, go to Publisher and go menu EDIT > Paste Special > Paste as Picture. -- In addition to David's response, you could go to Insert > Object > Create from File and browse to your Excel file. Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.kvalheim.org >-----Ori...

Combination of chart types
I want to create a stock chart (with 3 series) and then add another serie in form of line. Is this possible and how? -- Gordana Jankovska Head of Controlling & Budgeting TITAN Group - Cementarnica "USJE" AD Skopje Prvomajska bb, 1000 Skopje tel: +389 2 2786 138 fax: +389 2 2782 535 e-mail: gordanaj@usje.com.mk Jon Peltier has instructions for this on his web site: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/StockChartPlus.html Gordana Jankovska wrote: > I want to create a stock chart (with 3 series) and then add another serie in > form of line. Is this possible a...

Scatter Chart with non-numeric values on X axis #2
Hi Andy, Thx for your reply. A line chart won't look good, and I really don want to use bars. Is it possibly to make the x axis non-numeric? Th -- penas ----------------------------------------------------------------------- penasm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1583 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27323 Hi, Did you format the line series to remove the actual joining line. Double click the data series and set the border to None. That way it will look just like a scatter chart. penasm wrote: > Hi ...

Conditional Format to highlight rows
Column A is not formatted as a date but does contain the year and month as 2010 03. How can I use Conditional Formatting to highlight that row when it is the current month and current year? thanks to all... Use the formula =AND(--LEFT(A2,4)=YEAR(TODAY()),--RIGHT(A2,2)=MONTH(TODAY())) as your condition. Or =AND(--LEFT($A2,4)=YEAR(TODAY()),--RIGHT($A2,2)=MONTH(TODAY())) if you want to highlight the whole row. -- David Biddulph "Jack Deuce" <stephen.moore@REMOVETOREPLYipa.net> wrote in message news:ripko51hnsc1sh8n1i126laq9vmtmnkon0@4ax.com... > Colu...

change label on subFORM in REPORT
I have a REPORT with in it a subFORM Now I have this label (lblMonth) that I want to change. How should I do this? What would be the proper event to do this? The lblMonth should contain the name of the month as jan 07 Any ideas? TIA, Henro Hi If you are referenceing a field. In the subreport header pleace the Date field (or a copy of it). Set the format to mmm yy If you want this month's date In the report header (or sorted field header). Put an unbound text box. Control source = Date() Format = mmm yy Hope this helps -- Wayne Manchester, England. "Henrootje" wrote:...

Road map with Chart Conditional Formating
Hi! I've tried to work through the several charts formatting techniques bu still haven�t found the answer to what seems to be a simple concept. I work at a motorway concessionaire. Our traffic comparisons are mad in relation to a reference traffic scenario, being divided in su stretches with different length. 1 THE SIMPLE WAY (NOT FOR ME, BUT FOR ANYONE I HOPE The length should be in the x axis of this chart. Only one bar would b necessary, being that a sum of the several bars (stacked bar chart? with it�s length proportional to the sub stretches length. Each bar should have a differe...

Need a chart with vertical bar and line
Hello, I need a chart that has both a vertical bar graph and a line connecting points. I've been unable to figure out how to do this from the chart options, as there are options for vertical bar graphs, and options for line graphs, but never both at the same time. Would appreciate any suggestions, Thanks Keith Hi Keith, Create a bar chart based on all your data. Then select one of the bars that you want to plot as a line. Right click and choose chart type. Select a line chart. Keith wrote: > Hello, > I need a chart that has both a vertical bar graph and a > line conne...

USA Today Sector Watch Chart
Does anyone know how USA Today uses to create their three-dimensional sector watch charts This chart show different financial market sectors and plots the quarterly, monthly and weekly change Thank Terry ...

Increasing DPI output for jpg format
I created a business card in Publisher and am trying to upload it to a Business Card site in jpg format for printing. I used save-as in Publisher and selected the jpg format. the site has informed me that the dpi is insufficient for good quality. How do I increase the quality of the image or increase the dpi resolution of the image before using the save-as option in Publisher. In Publisher it looks great but the jpg image looks lousy. Thanks, Stuart James When you right-click your creation and click save as a picture, there is an option to change the resolution just above the file...

Big background page numbers/ Can't change format of a range
Hello, I received a spreadsheet used for printing out tables of data. This spreadsheet contains two features which I would like to understand: 1) Each Excel range that is printed on a separate page contains a big page number in the background of the speadsheet: "page1", "page2" etc. This page number, however, is not printed. How is this achieved? 2) There is a gray are outside the actual data range - and I can't change the formatting of that area. The spreadsheet is not protected. Thank you Michael You're in "Page Break Preview". Click <Vie...

Additional Issue Categories
I understand the problem when one starts messing with the default columns/choices in WSS workspaces. However..... I'd like to add a 4th option in the issues category. I'd like to know if there's any way to get this to show up in the /pwa/pws/issueriskcenter.aspx view: (1) Active (2) Postponed (3) Closed (4) Escalated I've done some tests and can at least confirm that the addition of an additional option will at least not break functionality or the counts on the issues/risks page. But ultimately, I'd like that issues/risks page to SHOW the 4th option. I...

Dual Chart
Hi I am wanting to create a chart that has stacked bars as well as lines going accross it. Excel only seems to give me one type or another. is there any way I can combine the 2 together. Cheers Pete Make the chart with bars. Now right click on one of the data series (one of the bars) in the chart and from the popup menu select Chart Type and specify you want Line. Hey presto: a chart with bars and lines! Best wishes Bernard "Pete" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1a0a601c41d75$39f98710$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi > > I am wanting to cre...

Time formatting
I need to be able to right a conditional Formatte that can highlight a cell (group of cells) in a sheet based on the time of day ... For instance... if the starting time (cell C4) is 02:29 and the ending time (cell D5) is 04:30 then any time with in this range the cell should be high lighted. Any other time the cell is not. Scott S. A. Stone wrote: > I need to be able to right a conditional Formatte that can highlight a > cell (group of cells) in a sheet based on the time of day ... For > instance... if the starting time (cell C4) is 02:29 and the ending time > (cell D5)...

Embedding excel charts in my C# windows form
I'd like to be able to have my C# windows form have access to excel's charting capabilities. I'd like to be able to define a data set, then feed it to eh excel charting engine, and open a new little graphics window to display the resultant chart. Does anyone have pointers on where to start? -- - Matt Kosorok ...

how to change font size of datalabels of two charts in a sheet
hey guys i have two charts in a sheet how to change the font size and AutoScaleFont of datalabels in them through VBA?? -- amrezzat ------------------------------------------------------------------------ amrezzat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28766 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=540051 The required syntax is discoverable using the macro recorder. The final result would look something like this: For Each chtob In ActiveSheet.ChartObjects For Each srs In chtob.Chart.SeriesCollection If srs.HasData...

excel should make it easier to have a 1 to 1 plot area in chart
Sometimes I would like the plot area to have a 1 to 1 ratio, so each little square of the gridlines are a square. ie, the y- axis could be 10, the x- axis could be 10, so the plot area would be square, or the y- axis could go from -10 to 10, with the same x- axis, so the plot area would have twice the y- axis than the x- axis. I think the way microsoft has this place worded is misleading, cause it says "Post your suggestion." I don't mean to put anyone off. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most ...

User-defined charts
Hello, I'�m trying to build some user defined charts for several users to maintain consistent formatting etc. I know how to make the charts, saving them and most settings but there is one issue I haven't solved yet. The user defined charts will be used on lots of different datatypes. For exampel, one of the charts will have 2 dataseries but another will have 10. They should still have the same type of formatting in all series. Lets say they want a Line chart and the the lines should be of a spesific thickness (thicker than default). How can I make sure that all lines will have this t...

comments inside the chart
how i can add comments to the points which is inside the chart in excel Select a series (one single click) or a point (two single clicks), select the first item on the Format menu (or press CTRL+1), and on the data labels tab, select one of the options for a data label. If you want a custom label, choose any default, then select the data label and edit its text. To add a number of labels based on cells, try one of these free and easy to use Excel add-ins: Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com - Jon ------- Jon P...

format cells #6
I have solved this so it is just my curiosity at play here. Using someone else's sheet, I entered a formula (=D235/80) into a cell expecting a numeric result not realizing that the cell was formatted as Text (so I got to see the formula as text). So I changed the cell format to Number with 4 places. To my surprise, the cell still displayed the formula. I looked for a leading ' or space but there was none. Retyping the formula produced the result I expected in the first place. What is going on? TIA Len ______________________________________________________ Changing the forma...

date formatting BUG for CRM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
When I use case customization, and want to display the datetime of createdon instead of date, I click formatting tab, the Display Type dropdownlist only has ONE item Date Only. Thus I cannot format it to Date and Time like mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm Is this a microsoft bug ? Afraid this is "as designed". Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:17:05 -0800, "Drew" <Drew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: When I use case customization, and want to display the datetime of created...

FRx 6.7 sp5 and Exporting to Formatted Excel
I've seen problems with the export to formatted Excel. A company running FRx 6.7 sp4 says it's taking 4 to 6 hours to create the files. The processing of data takes about 20 minutes. It's the actual spreadsheet tab creation that's taking so long. They have 4 companies and 99 units over all in the tree. When they had sp2, it was running no longer than an hour. Has anybody been running sp5 (available in November) and successfully exported to formatted Excel in a reasonable amount of time? -- Charles Allen, MVP ------=_NextPart_0001_2CF9059E Content-Type: text/plain Con...

how can i get the date & time format 2010/02/17 12:05 in excel
I would like to share my knowledge by improving & clearing my doubts. Right click the cell>Format cells>Click Custom and enter the below format yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm Now try entering a date in that cell. To enter todays date use the short key Ctrl + ; -- Jacob "NarenSelva" wrote: > I would like to share my knowledge by improving & clearing my doubts. Try =SUMPRODUCT((TEXT(I3:I71,"mmyyyy")="032010")*(H3:H71)) -- Jacob "NarenSelva" wrote: > I would like to share my knowledge by improving & clearing...

Is it possible to format a PSObject with a .ps1xml file?
This might be a totally ridiculous question...but here goes anyway: I have a couple of filters in modules that write PSObjects to output using code like: $x = New-Object PSObject -Property @{ one = "one" two = "two" } Write-Output $x There's just way more properties. How does one specify 'default' formatting styles for a System.Management.Automation.PSCustomObject like you can with other types using .ps1xml files? That may not even be the right question to ask. What I'd like would be a way to define the default formatting for ...

How to do a Merge in order to print mailing labels
HELP I'm working on a Mac iBook running on OS 9.2. I have Microsoft Word 98 and Microsoft Excel 98. I purchased Avery Clear Mailing Labels which say "use 8660 software layout". Each 8.5 x 11 sheet has 3 columns and 10 rows for a total of 30 labels. I have an Excel Worksheet entitled AveryLabels.xls in which: Column A:First Column B: Last Column C: Street Column D: City Column E: State Column F: ZIP SO, 6 columns of mailing address info and I have 46 rows worth of addresses. Will I be able to print the first 30 addresses on one sheet of labels and the remaining 16 on a second sh...

email format is changed from HTML to Text
I haven't done any research on this, I hope someone has the answer. Sometimes when I reply to a message, the email format is changed from HTML to Plain text automatically, It does't happen when I am writing a new email, it is just sometimes when I am replying. Are you sure that the message to which you are replying is HTML and not just plain text with foreign encoding? For example, I set the encoding for this message to Turkish, but it is still plain text. It just doesn't appear that way (to me anyway, and possibly also you). Ray at work "Alex Perez" <aperezny@h...